• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017: Super Mario Odyssey Best of Show

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Really? Did I miss something? Because every demo I saw of Odyssey looked mighty boring. Looking at this list just reminds me of how mediocre this E3 was :\

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think my favorite thing about Mario Odyssey is I'm having a hard time giving a shit about anything else right now. By the time I'm done with SMO, I'm going to have a bunch of good good to catch up on that has all slipped my mind.

Really? Did I miss something? Because every demo I saw of Odyssey looked mighty boring. Looking at this list just reminds me of how mediocre this E3 was :

What was it that you found boring, and what were you expecting from a new 3D Mario game?

Odyssey is cool but New Colossus won my game of the show, it looks fantastic.

The New Order was my favorite FPS until I played Titanfall 2. The new Colossus will undoubtedly change that, it looks absolutely fantastic.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Evidently.

If you have to ask

Sounds like you missed everything.

Little Mons†er;242060979 said:
Damn son, you missed out big time

Yes.

3D Mario games are excellent and this looks like one of the best.

Yeah, mine is a highly subjective take, here. I concede that it seems like a solid entry in Mario platforming with lots to explore. Nothing there seemed "bad" by any stretch, but the new additions just weren't compelling enough to hold my attention. I think this highlights the dearth of interesting and fresh concepts displayed this E3 that a solid evolution of a popular franchise stood out the most in developers minds. Then again, solid evolution of existing concepts isn't necessarily inferior to innovation just for innovation's sake. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll just say congrats Nintendo! and leave it at that.

Brhoom

Banned
Talent won

tumblr_mxs59hioLJ1qd8zg3o7_250.gif

Yeah, mine is a highly subjective take, here. I concede that it seems like a solid entry in Mario platforming with lots to explore. Nothing there seemed "bad" by any stretch, but the new additions just weren't compelling enough to hold my attention. I think this highlights the dearth of interesting and fresh concepts displayed this E3 that a solid evolution of a popular franchise stood out the most in developers minds. Then again, solid evolution of existing concepts isn't necessarily inferior to innovation just for innovation's sake. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll just say congrats Nintendo! and leave it at that.
There hasn't been a 3D sandbox Mario in like 15 years.
The new mechanics are pretty creative too.

So reckon this year it'll be a tight race between Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild for GOTY. I still think Breath of the Wild will take it though.

Really? Did I miss something? Because every demo I saw of Odyssey looked mighty boring. Looking at this list just reminds me of how mediocre this E3 was :
I saw a game where you're never not doing or interacting with something in that world. It's like the antithesis of boring.

So reckon this year it'll be a tight race between Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild for GOTY. I still think Breath of the Wild will take it though.

GAF's GotY is going to be incredibly interesting (and probably pretty tense, unfortunately). BotW is the clear favorite, but Odyssey is going to steal away a lot of its votes. And I can see a scenario where Horizon benefits from this and wins.

Horizon will win because BotW and Mario Odyssey will take votes from each other.

That's....exactly what I just proposed.

GAF's GotY is going to be incredibly interesting (and probably pretty tense, unfortunately). BotW is the clear favorite, but Odyssey is going to steal away a lot of its votes. And I can see a scenario where Horizon benefits from this and wins.
Horizon will win because BotW and Mario Odyssey will take votes from each other.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
After Zelda in 2016 and Mario in 2017, I can't imagine what they're gonna follow that up with.

Edit: Jesus, the salt in threads where Nintendo wins awards is always amazing.

Plum

Yeah, either Zelda or Mario is going to be the Sanders to the other's Clinton, compared to 2014 with Bayo 2 there isn't a clear winner for Nintendo fans and the votes will be split. The one who comes in from left-field and wins will be Trump.

...perhaps this wasn't the best analogy.

(I don't care any which way because NieR's got my GOTY vote already)

Metroid. Prime. 4.

Even if that's playable next year, it won't captivate showgoers in the same way Mario and Zelda have.

My guess is Nintendo will have a larger selection of mid-tier releases on display next year. They're almost certainly not going to have something on the level of BotW and Odyssey.

That's....exactly what I just proposed.

I know that...am I not allowed to restate it?

oti

Banned

töp k€k

Even if that's playable next year, it won't captivate showgoers in the same way Mario and Zelda have.

My guess is Nintendo will have a larger selection of mid-tier releases on display next year. They're almost certainly not going to have something on the level of BotW and Odyssey.
To reiterate, Metroid. Prime. 4.

spekkeh

Banned
After Zelda in 2016 and Mario in 2017, I can't imagine what they're gonna follow that up with.

Awards threads are one of the few types of threads where it really doesn't matter who wins.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Metroid. Prime. 4.

I don't see Metroid Prime making next E3 in a playable state. If they're just now starting development it's likely a 2019 title.

Beyond that, Metroid Prime is gonna have to do something really groundbreaking to live up to the hype that Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey generated.

Metroid, Smash, Animal Crossing, or Mario Maker.

Especially if they come up with an interesting new mechanic in any of those series.

oti

Banned

I hope Nintendo has another big reboot ready. Metroid could be it or Animal Crossing. Man, that franchise really needs a reboot. Imagine what an amzing thing that could be.

Takat

Why? The way the reinvented Mario and Zelda, why not Metroid?

I believe it'll be Prime in just a name, I don't think it'll be exactly like previous games, and I do see them changing the formula after successfully doing it with their biggest franchises.

I forget (and I'm lazy to look it up :p) is Prime 4 a 2018 game? If it shows up next year then that has a good chance of taking a lot of awards (just look at the logo reactions.)

Top Bottom