• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like the difficulty early but it feels like you get overpowered starting around 16-bit. By the end it was just me trying to reach a billion dollars (or trillion, not sure) and get 10/10/10/10 (bah, kept getting 10/10/9/9).

Riptwo

I've had an iDevice since the 1st gen iPod Touch, and this is the first time that I've had trouble quitting. I think I've played this for about four hours today, and Reach and Castlevania can wait while I play more.

Victrix

*beard*
Remy said:
I've spent practically all day playing this; it is great and people need to buy it.
A few strategy tips:
6) Don't feel bad about letting go people who have been with your company for a long time when a hiring push shows you someone better. Bobby Kottick wouldn't!

Ahahah oh god I want to play this game.

It's nearly half 4 in the morning and I'm still playing this bloody thing!

It's weirdly realistic at times.

I randomly made a Wrestling Sim game and it became a huge hit critically and commercially (2.4 million sold!) so I immediately started work on a sequel but this time I farmed out some of the design work to third parties in the hopes of making it more appealing.

Such an awesome game!

Off to play it in bed now, not sure exactly when I'll be sleeping. :lol

Hige

Eggo said:
1E8VL.png

Sounds fun, I'll have to check it out later. My iPhone backlog is horrendous. :(

Suairyu

Banned
6:30 AM and my iPhone died. I suppose I should continue writing that important letter and then start the copy I'm meant to do while it charges... but I suspect after five minutes I'll get straight back to playing it again. This isn't healthy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good lord this game is addictive. Wtf?!

mandiller

I bought this for my iPad (No iPad version though :-/ ) and I've been playing it straight for a few hours. This game is awesome. Well worth it. I just shipped a puzzle game with over 270,000 sales. I raked in quite a bit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, fuck these reviewers. They don't know what they're talking about.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Hige said:
Sounds fun, I'll have to check it out later. My iPhone backlog is horrendous. :(

LOL, took me a while to spot the twist.

thetrin said:
Man, fuck these reviewers. They don't know what they're talking about.

Welcome to the world of game development. :p

thetrin

Hell yeah, one of my games hit #3, and one of my other games won best design of the year. Movin' on up.

EDIT: Oh hell yes, one of my games just sold 500k units. Woooo, fuck you reviewers!

Mr Jared

InfectedZero said:
I just made a Pirate Boardgame? It bombed.

I did this too! It was called Booty Call. It got me some fans but it was panned.

I followed this up with a historical adventure title, Winston Brokill. It did even WORSE.

IM RUINED..

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Mr Jared said:
I did this too! It was called Booty Call. It got me some fans but it was panned.

I followed this up with a historical adventure title, Winston Brokill. It did even WORSE.

IM RUINED..

What a horrible world we live in where Booty Call does not get the credit it deserves... You're the Tim Schafer of Game Dev Story!

thetrin

My 500k mega seller was an action RPG called Ass Blast.

Ninja Dom

Two questions:

1) Why would you release a game with bugs in it? It only takes a few weeks to get all the bugs out.

2) Everytime I start to develop a new Game or Contract my existing Game comes off the Market and stops selling. Is it supposed to be like this or just co-incidence?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Well, IntenDogs2 is poised to be a huge hit for Eggo Arts. Check out the magazine reviews! The original Intendogs1 sold 16 million units, which put LEGENDoNINJA2 to shame.

kGHVO.png

bedlamite

Bought this game at work, was hiding in the server room to play omg this game is digital crack

What does it mean when your workers go up in flames?

Jonnyram

Ninja Dom said:
1) Why would you release a game with bugs in it? It only takes a few weeks to get all the bugs out.
If it's wk3 of month3 and you have $0K in the bank, you might want to reconsider ;)

2) Everytime I start to develop a new Game or Contract my existing Game comes off the Market and stops selling. Is it supposed to be like this or just co-incidence?
Coincidence. I've started dev on a new title and kept selling.

Now onto game #5. Dragon Panic a puzzle game with a fantasy theme. #6 with 93,692 sales. WOOHOO!

itxaka

Defeatist
what is the minimu staff to make a game?

I got a writer that pitchs the story, a designer that makes the character and a sound guy for the sound plus 1 coder.

What is the difference between the writer and the designer pitching the game?

EDIT: Also why the fuck my grphics guy complains that he is the one designing characters...again? You fucker are sooo fired.

Piratefuck 5 crossed 95k sales!

Suairyu

Banned
Nevermind. Game tails off around year 12. There's only so many 36/40+ games you can make (in my case, 6) before the game gets dull with little area to push into.

itxaka

Defeatist
Yeah! Fuck Fantasy 1 crossed 150k sales on first month and achieved 5 position on the ranking!

Still, It only got a 20/40 review...

Aaron

Just moved into the new office after sales of Dead Bride topped 200k. Who would have thought the Japanese would actually buy a date sim with the cuteness rank maxed out? No more niche RPGs for Somber Studios. We got to crank out a sequel quick!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This game really is something. First thing I did when I woke up an hour ago was to grab my iPad and start playing.

I had a lot of saved up money, so I decided to create a breakout hit in a completely niche genre on the Super IES. The result was a detective adventure game that sold 1,5m and its sequel that broke through the 2m mark, with both being nominated for the Hall of Fame and the original getting the runner-up prize at the GotY awards.

Now back to it. :lol

Mako_Drug

Just spent some time with this game and I'm really enjoying it. Very addicted in an old school Theme Park way. Although everything I've put on the Senga Exodus has bombed my pc romance simulation 'Love is Love!' did some sweet biznez.

Pikelet

That art style is my Achilles heel, i cant resist it. Tycoon games will be my downfall, but im still going to get this.

u_neek

Just bought and downloaded it. Sitting through a boring communication lecture now though so will play it when I get home later.

Jonnyram

Suairyu said:
Nevermind. Game tails off around year 12. There's only so many 36/40+ games you can make (in my case, 6) before the game gets dull with little area to push into.
Heh, I can see that happening, but I dunno, I see a couple of openings where it can go on a while. I'm on year 10 and just had my second million seller :D

Minsc

Gold Member
viralmarketeer said:
I noticed this on my first hacker, but on the second and third dudes they had at least a +12 benefit from levelling up. I didn't mind the higher salary, but I wish I knew how much that +12 actually made a difference at that level. =P

Training also unlocks new game genres and types (or whatever you call the two different things that make up the game), Training Writers is really good for opening up tons of options at the beginning of the game.

I still haven't found a Hardware Engineer. I saw it in the list of "job history" on a couple of my hackers (you can SCROLL DOWN when looking at their character sheet), so I thought I could use a job changing manual to get them to swap, but I couldn't, not even after I leveled them up to 5.

I never was able to make my own console before I hit the 20 year mark.

Highest combos:

Sim RPG & Romance, Motion & Fitness, Card Game & Virtual Pet, Puzzle Architecture, Sim RPG & Game Co. (maybe I got bonus points for calling it "Game Dev Story"? =P )

Sounds like they need to ship this game to a lot of (game and movie) studios, love the concept of this, it is like sim city for sales-age!

Top Bottom