• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

polg

ok, I made a
Poncho Simulation
game for the
Game-Box
. It scored 38 and sold 5.5 million copies!

itxaka

Defeatist
Jonnyram said:
Six posts above yours. Just keep levelling up different jobs on the same person, and you'll get new options.

I got one guy with level 5 on everything and I can't change him to hw engineer. Maybe as when he came he already had level 5 on HW I can't choose him again?

the fucker costs me 28$ million per year :lol

E-phonk

Banned
Also, 20 years later:

My PS3 outsold the wii with 18m sold in its first year, with my near launch music game "Rhythm Skirts 4" selling more than 31m copies in it's first 6 months! People buy multiple copies of my game just because it's so good.

Top 5 best selling games:
Rhythm Skirts 4: 31.8 m
Rhythm Skirts 3: 25 m
Rhythm Skirts 2: 25 m
World of Crap 4: 25 m
Sim Harbor 2: 23 m

I want a fleshed out sequel to this game, now!

SmokyDave

Yeah, I'm loving this. 7 or 8 years in at the moment, just hired & trained Miyamoto and our latest game, Samurace (it's the finest Samurai based Racing game on the market) has cracked half a million sales and won an award for its graphics.

I can see this one is going to drain my battery and cause me to miss transport stops.

snap0212

Just played my first 20 years and completely screwed up everything. God, my company is so bad. I’ve only developed for the PC and the GameBoy, because I could never pay the licensing fees. The reviewers were assholes, too. I’m gonna start a new game after work today and hope I’ll do better this time.

What amazes me the most is the fact that I really played this game for hours without a break. I usually get bored with games quick, take a lot of breaks, etc. but I couldn’t stop playing this one (even though I suck).

Jonnyram

snap0212 said:
What amazes me the most is the fact that I really played this game for hours without a break. I usually get bored with games quick, take a lot of breaks, etc. but I couldn’t stop playing this one (even though I suck).
Yeah, the development cycle is just so snappy, and as soon as your game is out, you just want to work on another one to keep the hits coming.

Chorazin

Jonnyram said:
Yeah, the development cycle is just so snappy, and as soon as your game is out, you just want to work on another one to keep the hits coming.

While the game is selling, I give my people light work and have them do contracts. Then, back to the grind!

EDIT: Haha, my Dungeon Dive series (Action RPG + Dungeon) spin off, DungDiv XTRA! (Action RPG + Fantasy) sold like gangbusters! Debut at #3 with only a 21.

EDIT 2: And now our next game is a Hunting Sim on the Playgear.

arne

My development house, Cubic Mouth, is really activi-cubic -- my biggest sellers (and award winners) are "reversifortune 5-7" and "robocarz 2-4". "arrrgh hero," my pirate music game, did well until "arrggh hero 3," and sales declined at "arrrggh hero 5." surprisingly, my skirt online sim game, "upskirt" was the highest new IP debut I had, but I felt the franchise wasn't exploitable enough, so I made a killing (heh) on the "ChaneyHunt" franchise to fund the development of my 64-bit, BD-ROM console. booyah!

(aka i'm hooked)

SmokyDave

I'm openly playing this at my desk. Yes, I have other work to do. No, it isn't as important.

I'm feeling a genuine sense of pride for the team I've put together and the progress we've made in the industry (even if it is off the back of some Game Kid Sequelz). It can't be healthy.

Chorazin said:
While the game is selling, I give my people light work and have them do contracts. Then, back to the grind!

EDIT: Haha, my Dungeon Dive series (Action RPG + Dungeon) spin off, DungDiv XTRA! (Action RPG + Fantasy) sold like gangbusters! Debut at #3 with only a 21.

EDIT 2: And now our next game is a Hunting Sim on the Playgear.
:lol

The last game from Smokysoft was called 'Dungeon Minge'. We should collaborate.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AstroLad LLC's top-selling game was Dungeon Deep7 -- 58.3m. Those dungeon games. I realize that the penalty for sequels shouldn't necessarily be worse sales (though they need to dampen the effect of ever-increasing popularity) but lower morale.

Tobor

ToborSoft is struggling, but we'll get through this. There's never enough money. Too bad I can't switch to making iPhone games.

Chorazin

Just sold about 800k copies of Animal Xing on the Game Boy, now I'm working on Animal Xing 3D on the Virtual Kid. Even though it's doomed it currently has 14% markey share, ad cost half as much to get a license for as the other console with 14%.

Chorazin

Sold 2.5mil copies of Sim Township on Virtual Kid. Sales end, I get the "Virtual Kid is being discontinued in 3 months." popup :lol

Vyer

After suffering through tons of shovelware for the early handhelds, Diggity Games finally started to hit it big with the new PlayStatus console.

Our gritty war shooter, Scout of Honor, sold nearly 2 mill.

Followed it up with our Fantasy RPG, Orcs 'n Cheese. another 2 mill.

Then moved on to the new Intendo Game-Box, where all hell broke loose. Our Fantasy Advenure title, TrailerVania, moved 5.5 mill units!

Now we've decided to try out that new handheld, the Intendro DM, with a totally different type of game. Our dating sim, Date Line, also went big with another 6 mill!

Our developers are on their way to swimming in Ferraris and whores.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For anyone interested, I wrote a small review for Game Dev Story, which I bought solely because of GAF's recommendations.

I love this game.

Reviewers might have slammed FireBots6 (action robot game) and ended the series but it set a company sales record at over 8 million copies. GAF am cry!

I'm also neglecting old racing game ips like Sega and cranking out more new games! Best one off I did was SpyBurn (action spy game) at the end of the Playstatus lifespan and it was a massive hit.

F-ing Nintendo company and their huge license fees. Did two DS games that did well but cost way too much to develop.

The game is so damn good.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've got a question... Is there any way to control which employee works on graphics/sound after alpha/beta? It only ever gives me the choice of one free employee, then 3 outsourced people. And the free employee usually isn't the person with the highest stats in that particular category.

Chorazin

I need to stop playing this at work. I'm working hard at making Tits and Guns the biggest developer for the Uranus, selling over 2mil with each game, wtih the ironic exception of Blood Cliff, the War Shooter that only sold 700k.

I find that during the bug phase if you need to do some last minute fixes to the game you can still use the items to improve the game. Every bug you fix gives you more resources so you should be able to use items a few times over pushing for final.

Dacvak

So is there no way to control which employee writes the proposal/does graphics/does sound?

arne

Taking over the world one 20+ million selling sequel at a time...

gds1.png
gds3.png
gds4.png

Chorazin

Dacvak said:
So is there no way to control which employee writes the proposal/does graphics/does sound?

That's what you pick when it asked you who's going to write the proposal, then who will design the graphics, then who will do the music.

Dacvak

Chorazin said:
That's what you pick when it asked you who's going to write the proposal, then who will design the graphics, then who will do the music.
Yeah, but I have 5 employees, yet it only lists 2 of them. The rest are all pay-for outsourced people.

Chorazin

Dacvak said:
Yeah, but I have 5 employees, yet it only lists 2 of them. The rest are all pay-for outsourced people.

Some can't do dedicated jobs, like the Hacker doesn't seem to be able to do the Proposal, and a Director can't do the music. Only a Coder or a Sound Engineer can, respectively.

EDIT: And I just did a Game Co Simulation on the Uranus that shipped 2 million units week one, and got a 36. BOOYAH!

EDIT 2: Fuck me, it sold 9mil total!!!!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This game is FUCKING BRILLIANT.

Seriously.

I was up at 4am this morning playing it! :|

*rubs eyes*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone actually gotten a 40? Best I did was 39 I think (usually even a really good game would get a 37-38) and this was with katrillion sellers that had 250+ everything and 400+ in some areas.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Game-Box was pretty much my cash cow for a long time. Then I moved to the DM when it grabbed more market share.

Vinnk

its only year 7 but SmutCops 2 cleared 1.5 mil. SmutCops 3 is going to be huge.

Sat down to use the bathroom... emerged 2 hours later...

Damn additive game...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Haven't played this game yet but can you start say in the early 1980s and move up from there?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Awesome.

I'm making a historical puzzle game for the PC.........

How do I fix bugs?? Help!!

edit: Oh I see.

Edit2: History Go! is not a success. Sold 38,000k total, and is now off the market. Got 18 for the reviews...

But now I'm making a Movies puzzle game! That has GOT to be a hit! Go go Ubisoft! :lol

edit: I have three writers, one programmer... This is not good..

AstroLad said:
Has anyone actually gotten a 40? Best I did was 39 I think (usually even a really good game would get a 37-38) and this was with katrillion sellers that had 250+ everything and 400+ in some areas.

I got a 39, and have yet to win GOTY. I stayed up most of the night playing this game. Thanks, GAF.

Dacvak

Chorazin said:
Some can't do dedicated jobs, like the Hacker doesn't seem to be able to do the Proposal, and a Director can't do the music. Only a Coder or a Sound Engineer can, respectively.

EDIT: And I just did a Game Co Simulation on the Uranus that shipped 2 million units week one, and got a 36. BOOYAH!

EDIT 2: Fuck me, it sold 9mil total!!!!
I have a hacker (Walt Sidney) who can do the game proposal, but another who can't. Is there anywhere where it lists what people can or can't do?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Someone got the award of worst game for Last Fantasy, :lol

For a second I thought it was my Last Legend game:p

But damnit fucking reviewers always give me shit scores.

My dating sim game did rather good (Loverz, lol), now I'm making a romance simulator, whatever that is. Staff is very excited, says it's a great combination!

Edit: Twilightz has sold over 500k units!

Dacvak

I finally got a perfect 40 review!

Top Bottom