• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hydrogen Bluebird said:
OMG. I think I finally found a reason to buy an Iphone or an Ipod Touch (this also works on the Ipod Touch right? Sorry, I'm a noob on all things Apple)

Yeah, it absolutely works on an iPod Touch.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm trying to be as reserved as possible, but god damn, this is the best game on the iPhone, bar none.

thetrin

Bioshocked said:
Gah, I can't get a review over 18. This is so frustrating! :lol

You're going to start getting great scores when you have guys with better stats. It basically comes down to being able to increase your four stats quickly before the game reaches 100%.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I keep getting shit scores under 20 but whatever, I'm making more and more cash. Almost all my staff is at their highest level so far, level 5. Last console released I think was the PXC-230 or whatever it's called. Which one is that supposed to be? PS1? It looked like a pink box.

My best seller was a dating sim and an animal sim (Loverz and Pokemonz). Now I just released Ninja Gaiden and it seems to be off to a good start.

How do you guys invest the points? I've been trying to gain more and more points cause I'm guessing this is what is affecting reviews.

What's a Producer for? I got two designers, two coders, one sound designer, and one writer.

So how do you make a GOTY? :lol

I've got like 150M, 8 employees with higher stats than all the outsourced peeps and used amazing combinations in games on level 5. Highest review was 37.

Pappasman said:
when does the game end?

After 20 years but you can keep playing anyway.

Shaneus

thetrin said:
You're going to start getting great scores when you have guys with better stats. It basically comes down to being able to increase your four stats quickly before the game reaches 100%.
I find one of the best ways is to hire an outside writer early on, when you've built up some money but still don't have highly-qualified staff. Nothing like just starting development with a shitload of creativity and fun.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I've gotten to the point where I'm winning all awards except the Grand Prize (and Worst Game). Haven't crossed the 37/40 mark due to untimely power failures when my game is shaping up to be a monster hit.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
BEHOLD! My incredible game-making skills!

0ftUN.png

World of Lazlo - The MMO of the popular "Lazlo's Quest" series, since 1984.

QtIso.png

A clean sweep in all four categories.

CVulp.png

And of course, my legendary perfect-40 game.

This game is actually crack.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
5:22am... Somebody help me....

Too addictive. I exhauted the battery of my iPhone twice, in less than 24 hours.

My hall of fame games (with several sequels) are a Ninja RPG, a Robot Action-RPG, a Lawyer Simulator and a Poncho Motion controlled game.

But the game that got bigger scores and bigger sells (38 in Famitsu and 14'5 millions sold) is a Mini-skirt Motion controlled game for PS2. Eyetoy Rapelay. Famitsu named it game of the century.

beat

Finally finished my first 20 year run. Around 40M units sold, 38 titles shipped, 28 HOF titles, 33 total trophies, 3 GOTYs, had around $460M in the bank, biggest selling single title shipped 42M copies. The only thing else I could have wanted that I couldn't do was get a 40 score.

This game totally is crack.

My feature wishlist for the sequel (anyone want to tell me if they're in there?)

* employees quitting
* employees shaking me down for raises.
* publishers shaking me down.
* multiple SKUs for a title.
* multiple teams.
* working on licensed games.
* a couple of more songs in the game.

So, tips I'd have:
- figure out good genre/theme combos
- aggressively upgrade your staff [edit: meaning go on hiring sprees. Training and leveling doesn't go nearly as far as hiring better employees.]
- watch your cash flow carefully for the first 5-10 years, at least.
- boosts, boosts, boosts. I was constantly boosting and it made the game way way way easier.

pilonv1

I wish it was more feasable to develop for multiple platforms. There's no reason to not just focus on the gameboy or snes for most of the game.

Really addicting game. Read about it yesterday night and got up early to buy a iTunes store card for my iPod touch. First steps have been a bit difficult but after a while I figured out that sequel after sequel don't make much money. Should have called my company
... Valuesoft :lol

I hope that the developers see that people like the game and offer more content and updates over time. Just started development on the Super IES ... sounds like a worthwile console to me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
pilonv1 said:
I wish it was more feasable to develop for multiple platforms. There's no reason to not just focus on the gameboy or snes for most of the game.
Yeah with the infrastructure and mechanics they have in place, some added depth like this and a few other things mentioned above would make for a really amazing game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How do you make a sequel?

And how do you guys invest your points when designing the game? Should I try to max out a few, or even things out?

Anyway so far Ninja Gaiden is my biggest seller! 400k units.

The Neo Geo was just released. But I'm doing only Gamekid games right now. And now I just released Digimonz.

Edit: Digimonz was great success (monster sim)! Now I just released Golf Masterz, and one reviewer said "I got paid to play it so...", agrh!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ether_Snake said:
How do you make a sequel?

And how do you guys invest your points when designing the game? Should I try to max out a few, or even things out?

Anyway so far Ninja Gaiden is my biggest seller! 400k units.

The Neo Geo was just released. But I'm doing only Gamekid games right now. And now I just released Digimonz.

Edit: Digimonz was great success (monster sim)! Now I just released Golf Masterz, and one reviewer said "I got paid to play it so...", agrh!

Your game should get a score over 30.

My best selling game is Queendom Spad3 (6.3m), followed by Queendom Spade (3.5m), followed by Queendom Jack (1.05m). Action RPG Fantasy and sequels... It's obvious what I named the games after. :lol

bounchfx

broke down and bought it last night, started to get used to it, though it seems like it's a lot of trial and risk taking to find out what works or doesnt, I thought I had some pretty good ideas :lol

but seriously, holy addictiveness. bought it at midnight and didn't fall asleep until forcing myself to stop playing at 3:30am. it's a whole 'JUST ONE MORE GAME' syndrome.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pretty sure I just saw a game get both worst and best game award...

Anyway I'm making around 25 million but I wonder how expensive the next licensing costs will be. I'm making mostly PS1 games right now.

It's bullshit that the Gamecube is more popular! And how come there is no N64?

One of my best sellers was Final Fantasy on PS1:lol And some dating sim and fitness sim.

Something they could have added is making a sequel of a game on a competitors hardware and do a popularity roll for it.

Anytime a hardware manufacturer uses your game as a headliner you should get a development discount.

Shaneus

For some reason, I get the impression that this is what Segagaga was like on the DC (or at least, a good part of it). Anyone able to confirm?

bounchfx

woo! finally had a breakout hit dance game, sold almost 9 million copies! that gave me plenty of money, and got in the hall of fame with a 35!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Some of the genres are really weird. Like, Time Travel, Reversi (what the fuck is that?), etc.

I only had one game sell two million copies (Final Fantasy). No one has yet explained how the points you attribute in the game design works. Any idea? What is "Game World"?

Edit: Uncharted (Pirate Sim RPG) sold over 1m copies on its first week, 4.3m total, and made it into the Hall of Fame. I'm gonna make a sequel after this Samurai RPG!

LCfiner

well guys, I just lost my last 3 hours to this.
I’m in love. it’s such great wish fulfilment. I love creating little narratives behind my studio’s decisions.

I started on the PC, of course and created some relatively niche titles, experimenting with ninjas and puzzle game combos (not so hot). had some decent action games on the Super Intendro...

anyway, I finally hit it real big with a cartoon themed RPG for the Playstatus: Locke & Lode (based on the popular Saturday morning cartoon duo Locke, a hard hitting gorilla PI and Lode, his wisecracking lemur partner)

that got me hall of fame status and then I immediately decided to Kotick the shit out of that series. So Locke and Lode 2 was developed right away.

then, of course, Lock3d and Lod3d to finsh off the Playstatus “trilogy”

then I got a Intendro DM license and released the even higher selling, casual focused Lil Lodin DM. I spent all design point of simplicity, approachability and cuteness.

that sold 3 times more than the playstatus games. over 7 million copies.

SWEET CASUAL LUCRE.

Then Lil’ Loden 2 DM came out and sold 5 million.

finally, Lode Racerz DM came out as an E-10 kart racer. which was still a million seller but no longer a smash hit.

my fans have dropped 10% a year for 2 years as I haven’t diversified enough so I think I’ve matched the Kotick Activision story relatively faithfully for a cell phone game.

I am now considering getting a PS2 license and trying my hand at a Ninja dating sim.

AmericanNinja said:
man how do you guys make that much money?

Contracts are very good when you don't have too much money, and keep into the same console (specially if they are based in a succesful real console) as much as possible.

But the trick is the people. Save a few millions, make a expensive personal search and get some of the best people in there. Be careful to do it after M4, to pay them as late as possible. When you got some people with scores over 200, you sell tons of games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can't believe date sims, romance, and RPGs are very popular in this game. :lol

Ninja Dom

I completed my first 20 years with Ninja Team!! Incredible game.

Things were going fairly mediocre for me until around Year 12 when one thing changed: I put an advert for more staff using the Hollywood Agent, the most expensive one. There were 3 Hackers who applied and I hired all 3.

So easy from then on. My biggest hit was Ninja Starz 6. 19million sold!!!

Owwww!!!

edgefusion

I spent the entire day playing this. The entire fucking day.

But I have 3 sequels in a row all grossing more than the last and I finished up the game for the night on a high note. :D Sunday will be a day of a market dominance.

EDIT: Ninja Dom; the same thing happened to me. Mediocre for most of the game until I did the fancy recruitment and got some hackers on board. He pretty much makes the whole game for me. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have kept pretty much the same team since day 1. Only fired one person who really sucked anyway. I have two coders, two designers, one writer, one producer, one director. I've been doing pretty good recently when I started using items like mad, since all of my staff is at level 5 anyway. Sim Town 1 and Sim Town 2 were really good, one sold 10 million copies I think. Uncharted 2 (pirate sim RPG) was not as good as Uncharted 1 so I can't make sequels for it anymore. Another big hit was a Life Popstar game called "Popstarz Life". Dacing simulator was also a big hit.

I'm on PS2 now for the most part, I just released Warcraft "Online RPG" for it, seems like it will be a big hit! :lol I made a stock exchange simulator too, and Game Dev Story (good hit!), which is GameDev Co. + Simulator:)

The Wii has just been released, I really want to make games for it but license is too costly for now. I want to drown the world in dancing, dating, romance, and popstar games!

Edit: Oh btw I saw "Mister X" for hire but hired my director instead. He is a Lucha Libre-mask wearing coder. Are such characters special? I remember I saw a magazine article talking about him (and one about a naked rich oil tycoon from Arabia or something...).

LCfiner

I have Mister X. he has lots of stamina so you can train him a lot but he’s not exceptional at anything else, as far as I can tell

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm so happy right now.

I just ended Y20, releasing 54 games that sold 184,981,062 units. On Y18 I started developing my console ("Love", a 64-bit BD-compatible console), and it sold 15M units by the end of Y20.

My best-selling game was also my last game, Sanjuro F40 (named that way because I was hoping it would get 40, but it only got 39), a detective adventure game sequel to my first million-seller and the only one I developed for the Love. It sold 24M units (and that means that 9M people that didn't have a console bought the game, haha).

The best part is that I had never won the Grand Prize on the Awards, but then came Global Game Awards #20, and Sanjuro F40 got the prize.

I love this game, and I'd buy a version with more complexity at a high price. Hopefully we'll get updates to this version eventually.

Mikhal

2nd playthrough. I got hit with an equipment failure and immediately after that a power failure on my new Music/Mini-skirt game, Idolsensei. Good thing I have 4 hackers on my team with high stats. Ended up still getting a Hall of Fame award in the end. Nothing is gonna stop Fatlus from domination!

Next playthrough I think I'm going to be a PC-only developer and see how well I can do.

LCfiner

Mikhal said:
2nd playthrough. I got hit with an equipment failure and immediately after that a power failure on my new Music/Mini-skirt game, Idolsensei. Good thing I have 4 hackers on my team with high stats. Ended up still getting a Hall of Fame award in the end. Nothing is gonna stop Fatlus from domination!

Next playthrough I think I'm going to be a PC-only developer and see how well I can do.

enjoy that 1% marketshare

the way the PC percentage kept dropping each time a new console comes out is so sad

Is there quality assurance in this game? I'm wondering if and how game testers are portrayed. I have no iProducts and was curious.

LCfiner

TestMonkey said:
Is there quality assurance in this game? I'm wondering if and how game testers are portrayed. I have no iProducts and was curious.

once the entire content of the game is complete, there’s a dedicated debugging session that eliminates bugs. you can release before you reach zero if you’re in a rush to get the game out. that’s pretty much it.

the game segments and abstracts the design process to make it much less realistic but more gamey.

Top Bottom