• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Mikhal

LCfiner said:
enjoy that 1% marketshare

the way the PC percentage kept dropping each time a new console comes out is so sad
Can't you raise marketshare by releasing a lot of killer apps for the system though or does that only work when it's your own console?

LCfiner

Mikhal said:
Can't you raise marketshare by releasing a lot of killer apps for the system though or does that only work when it's your own console?

possibly. I never paid much attention to how my releases affected marketshare for the consoles they were on. (I focused on only a couple consoles at a time and they were around 11 to 17%

My company is now doing better thanks to our fitness game, "Your Fitness", for the snes. It sold around 1 million units and won a couple of awards. We now have a triple AAA IP :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ULTROS! said:
I can't believe date sims, romance, and RPGs are very popular in this game. :lol

It IS a Japanese game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
vectorman06 said:
My company is now doing better thanks to our fitness game, "Your Fitness", for the snes. It sold around 1 million units and won a couple of awards. We now have a triple AAA IP :lol
AAAAAAAAA. Should be the new standard next gen!

Just sold 7,000,000 copies of Katana Slice 3. The final game of the popular samurai rpg trilogy. I have about $100,000,000 in capital now and my team of 8 consistently churns out at least 35/40 reviewed games.

Best game in the app store by a mile.

edgefusion

Just finished the 'story' arc, or whatever you wanna call it. My highest selling game was Vanquish 6 (original I know right), a robot action RPG with something like 28,000,000 sales. I made a further sequel to it (Vanquish X, edgy!) but it didn't sell as well so I decided to scrap the series and go with "Golf Smack" followed by "Golf Punch" which were golf life games but neither lived up to expectations so I think I'll just start over.

Teetris said:
AAAAAAAAA. Should be the new standard next gen!

I just released my first motion game, "Dance King" and it became a hit. Now working on a
motion baseball game :)

Edit: Elite Baseball didnt score that well...

edgefusion said:
Just finished the 'story' arc, or whatever you wanna call it. My highest selling game was Vanquish 6 (original I know right), a robot action RPG with something like 28,000,000 sales. I made a further sequel to it (Vanquish X, edgy!) but it didn't sell as well so I decided to scrap the series and go with "Golf Smack" followed by "Golf Punch" which were golf life games but neither lived up to expectations so I think I'll just start over.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Well I'm sorry to hear that your spinoff and golf games flopped.

RiZ III said:
Sounds like Segagaga

the holly game, i remember the thread on gaf about that game it made me yearn to buy a copy of it.

just bought game, i'm imagining this is harvest moon but for video games =D

Beardz

Great game! After almost 5 hours of playing I'm tired... :D

I'm developing games for the game cube, and I just released 2 AAA games, like someone said, this game is like crack :lol

My wishlist for a sequel if it happens -

Competing Developers
Market Trends that affect what sells
Piracy effect on the market
Recruiters taking your employees if they are unhappy
Simultaneous development - more than one title at once.
Ability to pay off reviewers, with the risk of alerting the market if the magazine is legit and squeals on you.
Tell me when a person has worked on a project too many times in a row.

There's a lot more I thought of as I was playing. Need to write them down.

I don't ever want to not be playing this game.

WTF this came out of nowhere and it's so addicting!

Ninja Action games are my studio's specialty.

Some of my titles -

Pirate Quest
PC Pirate Adventure - 15/40. Sold 34,812 units

Lincoln Story
PC Educational Historical Game - 17/40 - sold 57,115 units

Ninja Boy
Game Boy Ninja Action - 19/40 - 551,097 units

Lincoln Quest
Game Boy Fantasy RPG - 22/40 - 611,818 units

BloodSteel
NES Ninja Action - 25/40 - 601,503 units

Lincoln Quest 2
Game Boy Fantasy RPG - 21/40 - 839,638 units

Lincoln Quest 3
SNES Fantasy RPG - 29/40 - 1,423,435 units

Private Dick
Game Boy Detective Adventure - 28/40 - 954,680 Units

Tactics Lincoln
SNES Simulation Fantasy RPG - 20/40 - 526,049 units Cost 3,116k, made 3,682k

LincolnLegend
SNES Fantasy RPG - 27/40 - 989,862 units Cost 2,000k made 7,000k

Ninja Land
Game Boy Ninja Adventure - 24/40 - 620,193 units cost 1,200k, made 4,341k

Lovers Life
Game Boy Life Romance Game - 31/40 - 1,572,743 units cost 4,000k - made 11,009k

Black Dragon
Playstation Ninja Action - 31/40 - 3,586,402 units (cost 3,812k - made 17,932k)

@LoversLife
Game Boy Life Romance Game - 24/40 - cost 867k - made 3,817k (This was the cheap cash in on LoversLife's success lol)

Neo-Lincoln
Playstation Fantasy RPG - 28/40 - 1,662,165 units

Also made some war shooters that I just called Halo - the latest one sold 6 million units, lol.

I made 3 High school Sims for the game boy i haven't broken half mill yet =( but i have a producer, his description says good enough to be a secretary

just realized from my last post to now i put 3 hours straight in to the game :lol :lol :lol

trinest

So this is like Theme Hopsital or Tower but Game Development?

Shame its for an iphone- I don't own said device- I hope they make a PC version :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
After 20 years:
63 games released
157,987,914 total copies sold
I finished the game being pretty much being a Wii developer. It's ridiculous how the PS3 has a larger market share, :lol
And what the heck is Sega's last console? Looks like a PC.

We Fit! was my top selling game (Wii fitness simulator), with 14m copies.

Here are my other top selling games:

We Fit! - 14m
Sim Town 3 - 12m
Sim Town 2 - 10.7m
Miss Gaga Rock 2 (music pop star on Wii) - 9m
Pop Starz 2 (Life Pop Star) - 8.7m
Miss Gag Rock (on PS2) - 8.5m
Sim Town - 8m
Crossdress XXX (cosplay simulator) - 6m
Pop Starz - 5.7m
Warcraft (Online RPG on PS2, lol) - 4.5m
My Puppy Pal! (Wii animal education) - 4.3m
Move Dat Ass! (dancing simulator) - 3.7m

Gowans

Played this for hours last night.

Got trapped in a cycle of making sub 500,000 selling games on the game kid. Despite investing in people and boosting the games all I got was scores in the 20's and never over 9mill in the bank.

Can't afford a licence for a new system to sell big. :(

john tv

This game is incredible.

Been playing this non-stop today today. My company started off struggling for a while with my S-Type shooters (only selling 3 or 400k a piece), but I decided to shit out three straight baseball sims on Game Kid (OBP Hero 1, 2, 3) to make enough money to get a Super IES license, they all sold reasonably well, and then Ultra S-Type on Super IES broke 2 million copies. :D Trying out new IP with Tactics Golf and HR Legend (golf and baseball sim-RPGs, respectively), and just put out Ultra S-Type 2.

I love this game, haha. So much fun. It's dangerous, though...blew almost my entire day on it. I was supposed to go get lunch six hours ago!

Ninja Dom

Hackers turn the game around for you. They work for cheap and have no industry experience. But their stats are all around 200-300 points and they start at Level 1 so you can still level them up and increase their stats further. Mine turned up around Year 12 after hiring staff using the Hollywood Agent.

Honestly, don't be afraid to fire people even if they've been with you from the start and you've spent money and Research points training and levelling them up.

After some great hits on Playstation 2, around year 19 I decided to try making a PC game again. Despite getting Hall of Fame status it only sold 1.2m units compared to the 16m units I was normally selling.

It's been said before but use Speed to get your games made quickly and use Quality to get games made slowly. Try and release a game around Week 1 or 2 of December to get extra sales over Christmas.

Pikelet

Game is pretty awesome.

It actually has a lot in common with tower defense games now that i think about it. The pacing, level of strategy and approachability are very similar. The weaknesses of that genre remain also, as once you know a winning strategy it is impossible to fail.

Despite that, it has a fantastic theme and the graphics are super-charming.
Well worth the 4 bucks or whatever but i cant see myself playing it again after completely dominating the industry with an iron fist on my first try :p Still, i got a good four or five hours out of it.

clockpunk

Guv_Bubbs said:
Has anyone played the sequel in Japanese?

There's a sequel? Given the success this game is having and the acclaim it is receiving, I truly hope that there is One of the best games on the App Store. Do they have other games on the Japanes iTunes store?

I'm surprised no gaming sites have scored an interview with them, or the company revealing anything else they are working on...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Shaneus said:
For some reason, I get the impression that this is what Segagaga was like on the DC (or at least, a good part of it). Anyone able to confirm?
I 100% cleared Segagaga.

A lot of aspects of this particular game seem like they were directly lifted from the dev side of SGGG and expanded upon. SGGG involved recruitment and salary negotiation, executive decisions at alpha/beta stage, being able to rush a game to release during beta phase if a release date absolutely had to be met, keeping staff in healthy and in good spirits so that programming bugs and internal company conflicts were less prevalent, keeping development equipment up to date and in good working order, and more. SGGG didn't have as many class types for staff members, you couldn't do much to adjust their stats, genre never really came into play, quality and advertising were the only big things that affected sales expectations, and so on, but there was still a lot of resource/time management involved and it required a fair bit of strategy to keep your market share up.

hank_tree

Things haven't been going so well at my studio.

First off we made a Historical Simulator for the PC which we called Civocalype. The entire team rallyed behind this projerct as we were all fans of both History and Simulation.We worked well into the night and lost friends and family members to make the best game possible. When released it reached number #29 in the charts and sold 82,000 copies and a review score of 19. Clearly we were going about this all wrong so we banded together and worked long hours doing contract work (SFX for Cartoon) until we could afford a licence for the Exodus. The studio was in debt so this was really do or die for us.

We decided the problem with Civocalype was that it was a niche product so we decided to go the other way completely and appeal to the lowest common denominator for the console market and make a Ninja Adventure game called "Ninja Mania". Development went well and all the staff were really excited by the product. Unfortunately the critics weren't impressed with the final product giving us only 17/40. we managed to sell 100,000 copies and reached #9 in the charts.

This gave us enough cash to make a sequel to Ninja Mania. We took all criticism to heart and changed the genre from Adventure to Action. We knew we ran the risk of losing some fans but the potential gain was high and hoped our fans would enjoy the change in gameplay. However the team was burned out on Ninja games and were really phoning it in. I had to let some team members go and all in all it was a troubled development cycle. Near the end of development we were very low on cash with tonnes of bugs remaining but I made the difficult call of going into debt to fix up all those bugs because our fans deserved the best experience possible.

Launch day came and the reviews were even worse than Ninja Mania. Ninja Mania #2: Ninja Harder only scored 16/40. I was getting my firing finger ready to let the whole studio go but then the sales figures came in. Ninja Mania #2 reached #8 in the charts and managed to rack up 150,000 sales. Success! However as mentioned before the team was burned out on Ninja Action/Adventure games. After all the studio was formed on our love for Historical Simulation. I decided it was time to go back to our roots. We could merge the Ninja Mania brand with our love and knowledge of the Simulation genre (remember our first simulation game was still our highest reviewed). And so Ninja Mania Tactics:Ninjaocalypse was born.

Ninja Mania Tactics became our best selling and highest rated game ever pushing 170,000 copies and getting a review score of 20. We took our profit and bought a new studio and hired some new staff. Unfortunately we didn't do our budget properly and are back doing SFX for Cartoon contract work to make enough money to make our next game -Ninja Mania #3: The Ninja Lords. The epic conclusion to the story started 4 years ago in the original Ninja Maina.

edgefusion

28 meeeellion!

IMG_0092.png

Ninja Dom

face_777 said:
There's a sequel? Given the success this game is having and the acclaim it is receiving, I truly hope that there is One of the best games on the App Store. Do they have other games on the Japanes iTunes store?

I'm surprised no gaming sites have scored an interview with them, or the company revealing anything else they are working on...
This is their first iOS release and it looks like it's been ported directly from Japanese mobile phones.

The sequel in Japan exists on the PC and probably on Japanese phones too. Not iPhone though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If a PS3 exclusive game gets announced and like 20 people reply to the thread with some variant of "Well, I don't have a PS3, so please please please please port this to 360... or DS/3DS/PC/Wii", we'd call that obnoxious, right?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Really awesome game. Managed to bring my battery down to 15% from 100 at work during sunday's nothing-to-do hours. :)

TheOddOne

Stumpokapow said:
If a 360 exclusive game gets announced and like 20 people reply to the thread with some variant of "Well, I don't have a 360, so please please please please port this to PS3... or DS/3DS/PC/Wii", we'd call that obnoxious, right?
Fixed ;)

john tv

Two things I'd kill for in a sequel:

- To be able to layout your own hardware release schedule over the 20 years (and name them yourself)

- To be able to work on multiple games at once

I also think the rules for making sequels are kinda weird tho I can understand why they did it that way. But you should be able to make sequels from day 1 IMO. Maybe they can determine how much of a boost you get based on how well the first game scored.

Anyway, GOTY for me so far. I can't stop. I think I might need to delete it or something. :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
If a PS3 exclusive game gets announced and like 20 people reply to the thread with some variant of "Well, I don't have a PS3, so please please please please port this to 360... or DS/3DS/PC/Wii", we'd call that obnoxious, right?

I'm sorta used to it myself, people beg for Android ports in almost every big iOS exclusive game (EpicWin's facebook page every 5th post is someone begging for a Android release - one person even threatened the dev if they don't release it), it's annoying but comes with the territory I suppose. And I really don't feel bad at all if there's never a port. There's like 100+ million iDevices out there, and you can just buy a used 3rd gen iTouch for a couple hundred bucks, maybe less.

I realized I can't be a PC exclusive developer (;_;)even tho I am BiValve and developed Crowbar Man can't sell over a million.

They should change the "autoname" for lazy people. Instead of "MyGame #14", it should be "My Ninja RPG #2", for example, adding genre and type. Also, they should put the sequel name in roman numbers, and with a space "MyGame #14 III" instead of "MyGame #143".

randomwab

Blackouts are killing me, it just knocked a game I had from 98 fun to 42. FUCK

My iPhone's battery just ran out mid game development. I had such high points too. ;_;

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
randomwab said:
Blackouts are killing me, it just knocked a game I had from 98 fun to 42. FUCK

My iPhone's battery just ran out mid game development. I had such high points too. ;_;
Game has a pretty good autosave.

john tv

DangerousDave said:
They should change the "autoname" for lazy people. Instead of "MyGame #14", it should be "My Ninja RPG #2", for example, adding genre and type. Also, they should put the sequel name in roman numbers, and with a space "MyGame #14 III" instead of "MyGame #143".
Was thinking the same thing. They should also let you name your game at the start of development rather than at the end. Accidentally moved fwd without naming one early on, which kinda sucked (doesn't matter tho, cuz My Game #3 didn't sell very well). ;p

Also would like support for longer game names. 14 characters isn't enough. :)

Stephen Jobson you are my hero, he designs all my games, does the graphics, does the sound HE IS THE BOSS! Gilly Bates you stick you lvl 2 Coder =(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gowans007 said:
Played this for hours last night.

Got trapped in a cycle of making sub 500,000 selling games on the game kid. Despite investing in people and boosting the games all I got was scores in the 20's and never over 9mill in the bank.

Can't afford a licence for a new system to sell big. :(

I was doing the same for a while but eventually for a license for the SNES. That's where things started doing better. When I made games for PS2 tho I was rolling. All my games soon became big hits. I bet only Quality once I started making PS2 and Wii games. It paid off.

I went from PC to whatever that home console is, to NES, to Game Kid, to SNES, to Nintendo DS, to PS1, PS2, and Wii.

The trick is to make genres+type that make sense, and try different such combinations, so you will get more points to put in your game's design.

edit: BTW using Hackers is a form of cheating. There's a really they are called "hacker". I don't hire them.

My Billy Gates is fine as a coder.

I love this game. It is so fun and so addictive. I was tryna watch battlestar gallactica (just started this series and im in season 2 and love it) and i decide to just tinker with this game for a few minutes during a boring part of the show and i ended up playing for like 2 hours lol.

I got 1 beef tho. It seems this game cheats. Everytime im making an epically good game where all the stats are really high the game will do something where either the power goes out or thw systems fail and i lose like 30 to 40 points for each part of the game. Its bullshit. Im tryna win the grand prize award. Also....the liscenes for certain systems are way too fucking high

RedShift

Wtf this game is like crack...

Just got my first Hall of Fame game, 'Deadlier Ninja', after which I had a massive restructuring of my workforce which led on to the even more more sucessful 'Evil Robot', which also made it into the hall of fame and out sold 'Deadlier Ninja' in its first week, but then I stopped playing. This game is going to damage my degree.

So far I've been exclusive to the IES and the SIES, but when the PlayStatus comes along you better believe I'm not bothering with Integro console licences for a couple of generations

Top Bottom