• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fixed2BeBroken said:
I love this game. It is so fun and so addictive. I was tryna watch battlestar gallactica (just started this series and im in season 2 and love it) and i decide to just tinker with this game for a few minutes during a boring part of the show and i ended up playing for like 2 hours lol.

I got 1 beef tho. It seems this game cheats. Everytime im making an epically good game where all the stats are really high the game will do something where either the power goes out or thw systems fail and i lose like 30 to 40 points for each part of the game. Its bullshit. Im tryna win the grand prize award. Also....the liscenes for certain systems are way too fucking high

The license cost is dumb, because it makes it sound like only huge companies can make games on PS2, Wii, etc. Game needs a bit more realism.

Would be nice to have trends too, so you can't expect a samurai simulator to sell well if the market is not there for it. You could get news updates about the TV shows, movies, music industry, sign contracts to get such licenses, etc.

Xater said:
Man I am terrible at this. I only produce terrible game after terrible game and barely have enough money.

It's normal early on. Only much later when I started making games on PS2 did I get good score. Before then it was under 20, or just over 20.

Xater said:
Man I am terrible at this. I only produce terrible game after terrible game and barely have enough money.
What i did was just do alot of contract shit ansld a few pc games and trained my characters early. i specialized each one with a certain attribute so they would be good. also got rid of newb oberton for someone better. eventually moved onto the snes and gameboy then he playstation. i do contracts sometimes in between games. Be aure to buy the boost things when u can. hey are reuseable and they get more expensive later if dont get em alking about early. Im talking about the attribute ones only

LCfiner

I started a second game on the iPad and had a lot more early success than my first studio. Pacing is important. Getting some early cash doing contract work can help you afford the game kid and IES licenses early on and then you'll be set for moderate sized hits for a while as long as you pick a couple safe combinations.

In this recent game, I had a robot shooter on the IEs that did quite well, Blazing Robros.

But so far my biggest hit is the fantasy RPG on the playstatus. Oblivious. And it's two sequels

If you have the cash, there's no real reason to have anyone internal work on the design doc, gfx or sound. The outside guys who have stats over 200 will push up your stats so much that the game will sell a truckload more and get better reviews, allowing for sequels.

I suppose that changes once you can get a hacker who has over 200 or 250 stats in a certain area. But until then, spend around 3 to 4 million on the outside talent and then your guys will be good enough to boost the stats during the regular work days.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Totally needed the money:D

2f69dac2.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fixed2BeBroken said:
What i did was just do alot of contract shit ansld a few pc games and trained my characters early. i specialized each one with a certain attribute so they would be good. also got rid of newb oberton for someone better. eventually moved onto the snes and gameboy then he playstation. i do contracts sometimes in between games. Be aure to buy the boost things when u can. hey are reuseable and they get more expensive later if dont get em alking about early. Im talking about the attribute ones only

Price goes up based on how many you bought before I think, not over time.

Ether_Snake said:
Price goes up based on how many you bought before I think, not over time.
No. It goes up over time cause i didnt buy any till playstation came out and they were like 800 A Peice when they were like 200 a piece near the start. Also u only by each type once anyways.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Technosteve said:
Game needs a Cover Art mini game, and option to go morally bankrupt and make hentai games :lol :lol :lol

Hey, I see nothing morally bankrupt about keeping pedophiles in their homes instead of on the streets.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's funny that my Kingdom Hearts series sold waaaaay more than my Final Fantasy series.

LCfiner

It kills me just how cool of a game this is but what a shitty port it is.

Non standard buttons, janky scrolling, fuzzy pixel art.

I hope they get enough sales on the iOS to put out a cleaned up sequel, tailor made for the interface.

I'd also like to work on multiple games at once...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I never got a 40. Still I only make Hall of Fame games now, even when I got hit by a blackout AND an equipment failure.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not a huge fan of sims, but I gave this game a shot and not disappointed. I'm only on Y5 or so, and I do suck, but it's a lot of fun and seems to be very replayable.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wellscha said:
I apologize for going out of topic but since I read a couple of posts wanting this game on PC.

So anyway, there's a new game coming in a couple of weeks called GameBiz 3

I want to shoot myself looking at those screens.

It's made by some European dude, and the english is very bad and the presentation is poor, but honestly... I played the shit out of the free version of GameBiz 2. It was basically like this game, and I thought it was pretty good.

The presentation may be shit, but honestly it's really quite fun... if the second is anything to go by.

I love the game and have been playing it during breaks all day at work, but I feel like you can't really avoid successful releases towards the end of the company career :(

I'd like to see a translated version of that PC version someone posted (NOT Gamebiz)

Man, I really hope this gets some updates and a sequel; easily the best app I've purchased.

Xater

Thnaks for some of the tips. Now my company is doing fine. I got so sucked in into this game it's unbelievable. :lol

RedShift

:eek: Just unlocked the Time Travel type. As soon as this filler game I'm making now is over I'm making an epic Dr Who Adventure game

Also, those Gamebiz screens make me feel ill. Its exactly the opposite of the charm that makes Gamebiz so good.

I kind of want to make a sequel to this game myself. I (as well as a lot of us in this thread) have so many ideas on making this the best game ever. It's a great game as is but room for improvement is huge.

I do iphone development so maybe I'll write down some ideas and see if it's something I'd like to do early next year (currently working on something else).

But I hope the developer does make a sequel or update soon.

bounchfx

blows my mind how many people here are just using actual franchises from life to make as their games. use some creativity, guys!

Future

How do you get a head engineer? Want to make a console but it says I need one

AAA developer now. :) Been riding to the top on drum and pop music games. My F1 racing series is also gettin yearly sequels. Kotick was on to somethin

Ok...So some of the games I made and the Success and non Success of my Game Company called "....shit, I forgot the name of my company...where do I find that? lol..

Title - Console - Genre - Shipped
1. FuckYouPayMe - PC - Sim/Robots - 81,571
2. Bots and Shit - PC - Shooter/Robots - 79,782
3. Mo Ninjas Ho - Exodus - Action/Ninja - 263,201
4. CuntSlutBitch - Exodus - Advent/Cartoon - 223,252
5. Beastility - GameKid - Advent/Animals - 219,416
6. Gimme Yo Shit - Exodus - Advent/Pirate - 123,237
7. Final Fuck - GameKid - RPG/Fantasy - 229,417
8. Cock Rockets - IES - Racing/Robot - 256,262
9. Legend of Fuck - IES - Advent/Explore - 263,941
10. Final Fuck 2 - GameKid - RPG/Fantasy - 360,988
11. Tits and Ass - GameKid - Puzzle/Checkers - 520,921
12. FHUTA - GameKid - Sim/Dating - 417,817
13. Samurai Fucker - Super IES - Action/Samurai - 819,006
14. Dick Fuck - Super IES - Shooter/Detective - 334,447
15. Final Fuck 3 - Super IES - RPG/Fantasy - 573,471
16. Mo Ninjas Ho 2 - Super IES - ACtion/Ninja - 1,436,264

(that is where I start becoming a Better developer...lol.

17. FHUTA 2 - Super IES - Sim/Dating - 803,191
18. Metal Fucking - Super IES - Racing/Cartoon - 525,373
19. Fuck My Puzzle - PlayStatus - Puzzle/Checkers - 1,081,719
20. Utter Bullshit - Playstatus - Education/Comedy - 742,992
21. Final Fuck 4 - Playstatus - RPG/Fantasy - 810,992
22. FuckThatMovie - Playstatus - Trivia/Movie - 1,319,072
23. LegendofFuck 2 - Playstatus - Advent/Fantasy - 1,424,232
24. Mo Ninjas Ho 3 - Playstatus - Action/Ninja - 2,701,094
25. Final Fuck 5 - Playstatus - RPG/Fantasy - 2,322,204
26. LegendofFuck 3 - Playstatus - Advent/Fantasy - 1,852,582
27. Fuck My Sword - Playstatus - Action/Samurai - 2,828,796
28. Run Bitch Run! - Playstatus - Life/Fitness - 2,415,947 HALL OF FAME!
29. ShitDungeons - Playstatus - RPG/Dungeon - 885,354
30. Racer X Cock - Playstatus - Racing/F1 Racing - 1,683,846
31. For Fat Fucks - Playstatus - Life/Fitness - 1,612,382

It's funny getting a fan mail from Little Jimmy who can't wait to play LegendofFuck 3 or Final Fuck 5.

but as you can see, I tend to be console exlusive...but only cause the licenses are ridiculously EXPENSIVE!!!

it's impossible it seems to be a multi-platform developer unless you win that grand prize award and get a million dollars. In fact, has anyone won the grand prize yet? It seems Impossible to get it.I've won many other awards but never that damn grand prize.

bounchfx

Fixed2BeBroken said:
In fact, has anyone won the grand prize yet? It seems Impossible to get it.I've won many other awards but never that damn grand prize.

I've gotten it twice.

Once for my Online RPG Dungeon game, "Deep Dark", which scored a 39/40, 25 million sales (highest at the time), and the second time for its sequel 'Dungeon Horror' which sold 25m as well.

My highest selling game was ironically enough 'Game Dev Story', which I made for fun, it sold 27.6m (was supposed to be a joke, feel free to mock because of my previous post)

my first real breakout hit was 'Dance Love', which got me 8 million (more than double my previous). got a 35/40, was a music/dance game obviously. it's sequel 'Dance Love 2nd' actually sold less as well as it's spin off 'DanceQuest'. lol. however, the third iteration "Dance Love +' got me 15m.

man this game is awesome lol

My top selling game:

Whisperer - 5,382,173 units

A Monster Adventure game based on "The Whisperer in Darkness" by none other than Lovecraft himself.

Fuck this game is so cool!

Yea, seriously. In the sequel make the licenses more affordable. I was developing for Game Kid up until year 12, hahaha.

bounchfx said:
I've gotten it twice.

Once for my Online RPG Dungeon game, "Deep Dark", which scored a 39/40, 25 million sales (highest at the time), and the second time for its sequel 'Dungeon Horror' which sold 25m as well.

My highest selling game was ironically enough 'Game Dev Story', which I made for fun, it sold 27.6m (was supposed to be a joke, feel free to mock because of my previous post)

my first real breakout hit was 'Dance Love', which got me 8 million (more than double my previous). got a 35/40, was a music/dance game obviously. it's sequel 'Dance Love 2nd' actually sold less as well as it's spin off 'DanceQuest'. lol. however, the third iteration "Dance Love +' got me 15m.

man this game is awesome lol

damn dude, your like infinity ward, and I'm like...Atlus or some shit sales wise

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GameBiz 3's UI looks fucking horrible, but it looks interesting in my simulation of the industry interests.

But that goes against the spirit of this game, which is a "mock game development industry" thing.

pilonv1

john tv said:
Also would like support for longer game names. 14 characters isn't enough. :)

Is it just me or do some of the winners in the Game Awards have longer names? I swear I saw one that was like 20 characters.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but I'd love a random genre matching option. So Dungeon RPGs aren't always a great option, but something random like an educational wrestling game would be a top seller.

Jonnyram

Ether_Snake said:
The license cost is dumb, because it makes it sound like only huge companies can make games on PS2, Wii, etc. Game needs a bit more realism.
You mean you want it to be *less* realistic ;) Licensing costs are pretty high in reality.

Thanks to whoever are the dudes who discovered this game and started to pimp it on neogaf. It's the most fun i have had with a game in a while (though i probably won't play it for weeks and weeks..). It's super simple, random but very addictive, probably partially because of the subject.

One thing about the game is that your success is really make or break. After releasing shitty games after shitty games, barely making enough money to hire or pay my people (let alone do advertising), one success (a combination of various factors, including saving money and paying good extras, successful challenges, repeated boosts and etc..) made enough money so that i could really break the bank and bet the house on my next game, a MMORPG (world of jeannecraft - my first game was called jeanne d'arc and all my other games followed the theme) on a new console - the virtual boy :lol
Hall of fame and tons of cash followed. I can always hire the most expensive people (whether in house or extra), splurge on advertising and shit like that, and at the end, my games sell like hotcakes. I feel like i have temporarily entered easy mode (will people get tired after i release World of jeannecraft #5? They seem to lap that shit up so far).
Anyway. on to develop jeannecraft #5...

Quick question: do people adopt the platforms on which good games come out? they warned me the virtual boy wouldn't sell very well, but it's an old console in game and still has a comfy 16% of the market (it didn't start with that, and at some point was sub 10%, if i remember correctly).

Atlantic

Totally addicted to this game for last the few days

On year 20 and have been on a huge roll for my last 12 games. Bestseller right now is a Motion/Fitness game on the PS2, sold 15.6M copies!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Enjoying the game a lot, but i got to the end of Year 18 or so and I finally managed to hire a hacker, but then the Playstation went out and I had to jump ship to the Uranus, but obviously that went out as well. Kinda stuck without being able to afford any better license. What did I do wrong?

LCfiner

Emerson said:
Enjoying the game a lot, but i got to the end of Year 18 or so and I finally managed to hire a hacker, but then the Playstation went out and I had to jump ship to the Uranus, but obviously that went out as well. Kinda stuck without being able to afford any better license. What did I do wrong?

Gonna say you needed way more hits in the PS, Intendro and Game Kid era.

The second time I started a studio and focused on those three consoles, I had more than enough cash for the license negations for PS2, Game Box, Intendro DM and the Whoops.

and once you get hits, don’t waste too much time before hiring new people via hollywood agents. you want at least 3 or people who have multiple 150+ stats. they can pump up a lot of game qualities and ensure you get the multi million selling titles one after another.

Top Bottom