• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Shaneus

"Our current game is going to be heavily promoted by the console's maker". Um, I'm making it for my own console :lol

As soon as you get your first hacker the game kind of ends :/ Almost impossible to loose after that.

With 3 lv 5 of them(could never get more) you get 10m+ sales on all games regardless of if you've mastered the genre or not.

So for me the "game" part ended at 10 years or so when I used my first Hollywood agent and got 2 hackers.

Still kind of awesome to get a console out with at some AAA series on it. AssRpg 3, AssRoboShooter 3, AssHistShooter 3 and AssRacer 3. Great games, loves by critics and gamers, even sweeping the Game awards. :lol :lol :lol

Overall it's the best iphone game I've played by far.

Nocebo

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone yet but it looks like Part 2 of Game Dev Story on the Japanese site people have been asking about a few pages back... is actually the one you're all playing right now. Part 1 looks much shittier and is only available on PC as far as I can tell.

Edit:
There's also sim games for managing Manga artists and a Bookstore from the same creators. :lol I'll bet the manga one could get some popularity if translated too.

john tv

Just finished my 20th year. I did pretty well but I never got a 40/40 score. Numerous 39/40 scores...but the perfect eluded me!

My final stats after 20 years:

b3wi1j.jpg
156tqo4.jpg

Grand Prize awards (they really loved the S-Type games...):

s5grcx.jpg
2ngsv4j.jpg
hrivwk.jpg
4gncrt.jpg

The best review score I got (got several of these, but I really thought this one, my last game, was gonna get the coveted 10/10...):

10mvrsg.jpg

And finally, my full 68-game history below (note: the older it gets, the less info I have - in particular, I didn't keep track of platforms/review scores until later):

68. S-Type DELTA (512) - 33,226,084 (39)
67. Library Cop (512) - 18,803,655 (35)
66. Love Minus- (512) - 35,977,749 (38) - all-time best-seller
65. OBP Hero W2 (Wii) - 35,795,839 (38)
64. Card Lover 4 (Wii) - 28,679,512 (39)
63. S-Type 512 (512) - 31,013,007 (38)
62. Love Minus (Wii) - 30,052,170 (38) - first 30-million seller
61. Z's Legend 5 (Wii) - 11,854,241 (34)
60. OBP Hero W (Wii) - 14,291,510 (35)
59. Card Lover 3 (Wii) - 20,148,666 (38) - first 20-million seller
58. Conbini Rock 2 (DS) - 7,731,547 (37)
57. OBP Hero 480 (360) - 14,553,973 (38)
56. S-Type 480 (360) - 9,553,604 (36)
55. Lorecraft 2 (PS2) - 9,669,898 (35)
54. Conbini Rock (DS) - 12,399,725 (33)
53. Z's Legend DM (DS) - 6,047,889 (36)
52. Lorecraft (DS) - 11,572,531 (36)
51. Booty Quest DM (DS) - 6,668,449 (34)
50. S-Type DM (DS) - 18,460,566 (37) - first 15-million seller
49. Card Lover DM (DS) - 11,032,166 (35)
48. OBP Hero M2 (PSP) - 10,032,036 (35)
47. Booty Quest (GC) - 10,110,307 (33)
46. Z's Legend 4 (PS) - 6,665,244 (35)
45. Card Lover 2 (GC) - 11,410,785 (37)
44. S-Type Final 5 (GC) - 8,068,869 (39)
43. OBP Hero Mini (PSP) - 9,630,175 (36)
42. Gakuwars M3 (PSP) - 3,257,960 (34)
41. Card Lover (GC) - 10,381,443 (36) - first 10-million seller
40. S-Type CUBE (GC) - 8,446,577 (34)
39. Z's Legend 3 (PS) - 7,870,332 (33)
38. OBP Hero 8 (PS) - 6,685,092 (33)
37. Gakuwars M2 (PSP) - 8,266,516
36. S-Type Final 4 (PS) - 4,285,627
35. Z's Legend 2 (PS) - 4,677,390
34. Gakuwars Mini (PSP) - 3,579,042
33. OBP Hero 7 (PS) - 6,430,613
32. S-Type Final 3 (PS) - 4,853,378
31. Z's Legend (PS) - 3,586,086
30. Wizard Quest (???) - 1,706,502
29. OBP Hero 6 (PS) - 5,467,047 - first 5-million seller
28. S-Type Final 2 (PS) - 4,339,064 - first 4-million seller
27. HR Legend 2 (???) - 3,261,421
26. Gakudai Wars (???) - 2,631,345
25. S-Type Final (PS) - 3,372,577
24. OBP Hero 5 (SNES) - 3,568,196 - first 3-million seller
23. HR Legend (SNES) - 1,468,318
22. Ultra S-Type 2 (SNES) - 2,701,232 - first 2-million seller
21. Tactics Golf (SNES) - 719,454
20. OBP Hero 4 (SNES) - 1,208,419
19. Ultra S-Type (SNES) - 1,240,676 - first million seller
18. OBP Hero 3 (GB) - 484,488
17. OBP Hero 2 (GB) - 784,079
16. OBP Hero (GB) - 412,388
15. WWS Rampage (???) - 287,312
14. Super S-Type 3 (NES) - 352,252
13. S-Type FQX (???) - 306,959
12. Simple Sim (???) - 100,992
11. Super S-Type 2 (NES) - 442,212
10. Golf Pro KID (GB) - 165,399
9. Mech KID (GB) - 266,570
8. S-Type KID (GB) - 322,808
7. Super S-Type (NES) - 258,384
6. S-Type (???) - 130,843 - first 100k-seller
5. Golf Lords (???) - 88,469
4. Grand Trismo (MSX) - 92,338
3. Game #3 (PC) - 59,457
2. Mecha Island (PC) - 43,334
1. Puzzle BOTS (PC) - 28,847

My mainstays were the S-Type series (robot shooters), the OBP Hero series (OBP = on-base percentage; they were baseball sims), the Z's Legend series (animal action-RPGs), the Card Lover series (high school card games), and last but certainly not least, the Love Minus series (high school online RPGs). Was hoping to make something of Library Cop (book store action), but alas, that one came too late in the cycle to really blossom.

This game is like crack. iPhone GOTY for absolute certain. Nothing else comes close. :)

Mik2121

If only this game actually used up the whole screen to display more info at the same time..

But oh well, I'm seriously addicted to it.

I'm at Y15 M12 right now and my best selling game was "Manax", a Fantasy RPG that sold 6,884,377 units on the GC (Game-Box).

My next best selling game is the Funtasy Star series (up to 3 now) which is a Fantasy RPG too and sold ~16M all together.Next one is the Tokimeki series (up to 2 now, heh), which is a Simulation Romance and sold over 8m all together.

Right now I'm training some fella to become a Hardware Engineer and make my own console.

bounchfx

finished my 20 year run, total sales were 330m or something.

I got a 40/40 near the end! Motion Dance game called 'Body Motion +'. sold a cool 29mil.

almost ready to start again.

Thanks for the heads up guys, did my first play through in two days - loved it. Didn't manage to make my own console, nor did I get a 40/40, but, I did manage to get a game that sold in excess of 49,000,000.

Really wish that there was an option for it to generate random names - I really can't be bothered entering in different names for 70 odd games.

Started my second run through - doing a lot worse this time around!! Keep getting blackouts that scupper the games I invest more in.

sundrenched

Neo Member
hey guys I'm trying to unlock more genres as I already got 5 in all the ones that I have already.

I don't have dungeon type and a few others I believe.

I made a hardware engineer so I got to level 5 in all the jobs including hacker, so I don't know how I can unlock more genres.

john tv

Mik2121 said:
Wait, as soon as you reach Y21 the game ends? :(
No, the game goes on for as long as you want (I think). But 20 years is like the "ending" -- it stops calculating your LTD sales at that point. From then on, you can keep playing tho.

It also has a New Game+, more or less - if you start a new company from scratch, you keep the genre experience you gained from your previous playthrough (if I'm remembering correctly).

I got a 40/40 for La Hire 4, my epic Pirate Action-RPG :D
I was wondering if it was possible. It sold 36M units too.
At this point I have defaced the moon so much it's not even funny. I routinely advertise there several times a month, for no reason whatsoever. It's not only advertisement that has any effect at this point (the other can't increase the fan base anymore), but the effects don't seem to wear out.
I am at year 17 and rolling in a Scrooge Mc Duck vault of cash. I don't even know what to do with it. :lol
So much fun. I can't wait to get to year 20 and see my final stats. Is the goal to finish the richest possible, ro to have sold the most games possible?

By the way I wish there was an effect on churning out too many sequels. The game penalizes you for many games of the same genre, but I am at iteration 12 of JeanneCraft and people keep buying it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I can't believe I still manage to get originality scores through the roof, it's pretty shameful to start developing the next iteration the moment the other one hits the market.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sundrenched said:
hey guys I'm trying to unlock more genres as I already got 5 in all the ones that I have already.

I don't have dungeon type and a few others I believe.

I made a hardware engineer so I got to level 5 in all the jobs including hacker, so I don't know how I can unlock more genres.

To unlock genres get your staff to do any of the trainings. Forget about what the training gives you, just make them do everything. They will uncover all sorts of stuff. I have volleyball, soccer, baseball, cowboy, online rpg, music, movies, puzzle, board, mahjong, swimming, and all sorts of other genres. I think I am missing one.

What I wonder is how to unlock new game type?

Mik2121

I love how my last two games

Tokimeki Memo (28m units sold)
Bro Saga II (21m units sold)

sold so much when I made them for my console, which has only sold 15m units by now.
Is this people buying the game for a console they don't even own!? :O

harriet the spy said:
By the way I wish there was an effect on churning out too many sequels. The game penalizes you for many games of the same genre, but I am at iteration 12 of JeanneCraft and people keep buying it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I can't believe I still manage to get originality scores through the roof, it's pretty shameful to start developing the next iteration the moment the other one hits the market.

I've got one name for you: Final Fantasy :p

Dragon

Banned
Mik2121 said:

sold so much when I made them for my console, which has only sold 15m units by now.

Looks like a bug to me.

Mik2121

My stats after the 20 years..

8PrHe.png
1qkSC.png

WOAH is an MMORPG with two sequels, one called WOAH LK which sold 31m and another called WOAH C which I'm making right now.

I'm now over 20 years into the game but I will just continue with this one until I get my 10/10/10/10 perfect score and sell ~40 millions.

Empty

bought the game earlier, and oh my god this game is so good. haven't been absorbed in a sim game like this since football manager. small art-house studio team empty, whose masterpieces are criminally misunderstood by the press, is in the process of translating to a fantasy rpg developer after the third entry in th magenta force series of robot themed puzzle games cracked 100k with its first entry on the micro sx.

Mik2121 said:

NeoGAF ingame confirmed!

Pacman2k

Somehow it feels extra ironic when sitting in my office and seeing a bunch of game devs playing a game making simulation game instead of making the game they're supposed to be making.

Heh.

Edit: PS: I am guilty too. :(

gotee12

I'm so glad I found this thread. I just found a new addiction. And with my luck so far after 3 game releases, "Bargin Bin Ltd" was a very appropriate company name for me! :lol

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Half an hour? Count yourself lucky. I have an Anatomy exam Wednesday and have surely spent more time playing this game over the past several days than studying for it.

On my second playthrough and managed to make my first console :)

Triple AAA series:
Inline-Racing game
Ufit-Fitness
Last Dragon-RPG(Went SE on this series)
Dyno Man-Action Cartoon
Zoosk-Online Sim Dating

Console: iSoft Play

RedShift

OK, if you use iFile on a jailbroken iPhone you can browse the app directory and see all the assets (I was thinking of using one of the sound effects as a message alert), and I found this in with the console images-

oOeHd.jpg

I haven't finished the game yet but can you ever develop games for a toilet?

Shaneus

Anyone know how to get a GOTY? I've managed a clean sweep of the other awards (other than worst game) and managed a 10/10/10/10 (Upskirt Online :lol) but still never get that final award.

timnich

Holy shit... bought this game today and spent 3 hours straight playing without realizing it. I only meant to play for 30 min max, but I kept wanting to make "1 more game". Can't play this game unless I know have time to kill. Luckily my midterms ended last week:lol

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I feel stupid, but how do you name your games? All of mine are just numbered entires like Game 21 and the sequel is Game 212.

timnich

It gives you the option to rename right before the game ships. So after debugging is done a screen pops up asking if you want to ship or rename the game.

Empty

Captain Pants said:
I feel stupid, but how do you name your games? All of mine are just numbered entires like Game 21 and the sequel is Game 212.

when you finish debugging you get a box saying either 'change title' or 'ship game', click the first before shipping and you can change it.

Shaneus said:
He's pretty shit, though... Walt Sidney does most of mine :lol

Walt Sidney and Stephen Jobson my go to ballers, the hackers just there to make the games fast. I run a sweat shop, the more games i make the more money i spend on advertising PHANTOM 64 DS on THE MOON!!

Shaneus

I just unlocked the Game Co. category, so my current game is Game Dev Story by Craptivision. Of course, 10/9/9/10 :lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I looked at this and went "I do this for 15hrs a day, why the fuck am I going to do this on my phone?!"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wenis said:
I looked at this and went "I do this for 15hrs a day, why the fuck am I going to do this on my phone?!"
Probably the same reason I can enjoy Phoenix Wright while being a practicing attorney.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
AstroLad said:
Probably the same reason I can enjoy Phoenix Wright while being a practicing attorney.

Don't get me wrong strong high concept and it's funny, but goddamn. My brain needs to relax after a bit.

Reaching end of year 19, and close to my objective of one billion dollar. At this point I am throwing quality out of the window. Alternating Speed releases of JeanneCraft / some other franchise as fast as possible. In year 18 I had four different iterations of JeanneCraft for the game awards, each winning a different prize :lol
I went from 500000K at year 17 to 950000 at year 19. When fans complain, I advertise on the moon a couple of times.

Shaneus

The last month of the last year, I manage to pick up the GOTY for Game Dev Story:lol
Was my highest seller @ 44.4 million copies, with a total of around 442 million games shipped total (from 48 titles). Though the game I just barely finished in the last week of Dec. managed to get me a total of 48 million copies. Damnit.

It was a Medieval Online RPG.

Choc

Banned
just another way apple is controlling your life if you use iphone.....

'It could be just the prick that language educators have been waiting for: Apple’s “anti-sexting” technology patent that could finally force teenagers to polish up their written and oral skills if they want to slip naughty messages past their parents.'

what
the
fuck

i mean sure i dont do that but for a phone company to restrict their phones in this way, hi 1984.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Shaneus said:
The last month of the last year, I manage to pick up the GOTY for Game Dev Story:lol
Was my highest seller @ 44.4 million copies, with a total of around 442 million games shipped total (from 48 titles). Though the game I just barely finished in the last week of Dec. managed to get me a total of 48 million copies. Damnit.

It was a Medieval Online RPG.

Medieval or fantasy? I don't have Medieval. HOW DO I GET NEW GAME TYPES?? I only know how to get new genres (I think I have 12 pages of genre!).

bistromathics said:
i got this game, then broke my iphone right afterwards :(

:|

LCfiner

wrong thread, Choc?

take that BS out of this thread, please. it has nothing to do with the awesome game we’re all talking about.

Top Bottom