• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Grumps (aka Egoraptor plays some games)

So... two more episodes just to beat Wily? I can't see them beating him as casually as they are while discussing some unrelated topic and not focusing on what's arguably the hardest Wily form in the series, more so if they use up E-Tanks just to get to him.

Probably just one episode if they do editting like they did for Goof Troops finale.

They sadly used up all of their healing tanks when they really didn't need to. They were going to reset at the beginning of the stage anyway, they could take a game over if they needed to, but they ended up using it like Candy.

Needless to say, either another game will replace it immediately, or they'll hold it off and do some of the other videos. Namely Kirby and Zelda.

JoeFu

Banned
He's right. I'm replaying the game currently, and the game is pretty slow - ESPECIALLY if you're waiting for a second character to show up so your friend can play.

It is slow but it doesn't help that they freaking suck at the game. Its kinda painful to watch. They need to go back to Zelda or something. They should maybe read a FAQ on SoM or something. Watching them try to figure out the menu was so bad.

Noi

He's right. I'm replaying the game currently, and the game is pretty slow - ESPECIALLY if you're waiting for a second character to show up so your friend can play.

Oh, I somewhat agree. Hell, it's one of the reasons why I haven't gone very far into the game myself. It's just kind of amusing that Jon specifically mentions going back to Pokemon when talking about "slow" games.

Drago

Looks like their giving up on the game. Good, let's hope they give up on Pokemon as well.
Pokemon is fine, but they just don't make progress. If they didn't spend their time running around, it would be a much more competent series. That it took 10 episodes to get to the first gym leader town is really bad, haha

I don't want it to end. It's gotten the most laughs out of me :)

They need to stick to faster paced singleplayer, and/or co-op stuff. Nothing against SoM or Pokemon, but mehhhh. Their commentary is still funny, but it's not humor stemming from gameplay like the God-tier Goof Troop episode 7.

Drago

Also, I'm pretty sure Subspace Emissary is their next LP, as SSBB was in the disc slot during their Mii video.

Would be a nice replacement for Secret of Mana if they are considering stopping that one

It is slow but it doesn't help that they freaking suck at the game. Its kinda painful to watch. They need to go back to Zelda or something. They should maybe read a FAQ on SoM or something. Watching them try to figure out the menu was so bad.
The menus aren't very intuitive, which looking back is one of SoM's problems. It's pretty frustrating going back to something like that in this day and age.
I don't think RPGs work very well for Game Grumps. They are at their best when they riff on the games they are playing, like Goof Troop and Kirby.

SoM and other action-rpgs can work. The problem is how slow the game takes to get going and to get the rest of your party. They've still got another dungeon and boss to take on before the Sprite joins the party.

JoeFu

Banned
Well somehow I figured out the menus when I was 6 ... also them buying stuff the guy can't equip, I mean there are little pictures that show if he can use it or not! I'm not really enjoying these and I really hope they drop it for another game.

Damn, they're getting torn apart in the comments. Probably shouldn't have started a game like that in the first place. Hope if they do go back to it, they at least see those comments, but we have no idea when this was recorded, so they might be long past the point of caring.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Damn, they're getting torn apart in the comments. Probably shouldn't have started a game like that in the first place. Hope if they do go back to it, they at least see those comments, but we have no idea when this was recorded, so they might be long past the point of caring.

Honestly, they deserve to get shredded after showing the lack of even a basic understanding of the mechanics of Secret of Mana. They really are doing an injustice to the majesty of this game.

Honestly, they deserve to get shredded after showing the lack of even a basic understanding of the mechanics of Secret of Mana. They really are doing an injustice to the majesty of this game.

I just don't think they're paying attention to what they're doing for the most part. I'm sure they'd figure this stuff out if they were alone. Either that or they just don't understand how RPGs work. I mean looking through the menus is one of the first things people do when they start up an RPG.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just don't think they're paying attention to what they're doing for the most part. I'm sure they'd figure this stuff out if they were alone. Either that or they just don't understand how RPGs work. I mean looking through the menus is one of the first things people do when they start up an RPG.
Well, they reached an incompetence breaking point.

Noi

Not really limited to RPGs anyway. In the last Mega Man 7 video, Ego forgets to grab the health pickup after beating a boss during the boss rush, verbally mentions that he did so (so he noticed that he left it), then proceeds to do it AGAIN in the immediate boss. Mistakes like that are kind of why I think it'll take them two more videos just to finish MM7.

Not really limited to RPGs anyway. In the last Mega Man 7 video, Ego forgets to grab the health pickup after beating a boss during the boss rush, verbally mentions that he did so (so he noticed that he left it), then proceeds to do it AGAIN in the immediate boss. Mistakes like that are kind of why I think it'll take them two more videos just to finish MM7.

Yeah, he was probably looking at Jon or something when the boss fight ended. The guys are too caught up in their own conversations about science and Oprah.

Skipping blatantly obvious things is practically a trope these days when you're watching something. I'd probably be going nuts at the SoM vids, but I haven't really played it, all I know of it is AI incompetence.

Paper Mario could be done well by them, but consider the fact that I've beaten that to death (Can't even use two hands for it) I probably wouldn't be able to stand it.

Noi

Paper Mario could be done well by them, but consider the fact that I've beaten that to death (Can't even use two hands for it) I probably wouldn't be able to stand it.

It's pretty much how I felt every time I they skipped right by one of the secret doors in DynaBlade (or when they walk past any door period without peeking inside). I can only imagine how Milky Way Wishes will turn out if they end up walking past all the power pick-ups...

Reknoc

Decided to check out JonTron's stuff thanks to this. He was pretty cool, but then I saw the video where he hated on Nuts & Bolts, now I hate him :( (not that I entirely disagree with some of his points)

gunbo13

The criticism on how they play is saddening. It's not the point of the videos and people really need to lay off the caffeine. Just relax or go play the game yourself.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
GameGrumps is occasionally enjoyable and makes me laugh, but the downside is I will never again trust any review or opinion they put forth on a game they don't enjoy. Watching them just... not understand how to play games is just infuriating. JonTron's bizarre youthly ignorance is also pretty weird when his whole income presumably now is "doing stuff about games"?

UrbanRats

GameGrumps is occasionally enjoyable and makes me laugh, but the downside is I will never again trust any review or opinion they put forth on a game they don't enjoy. Watching them just... not understand how to play games is just infuriating. JonTron's bizarre youthly ignorance is also pretty weird when his whole income presumably now is "doing stuff about games"?

What do you mean, specifically?

Have you not watched Sequelitis? Ego pretty clearly knows a good amount about game design principles.

Also the videos are primarily for comedy, and the dudes are extremely distracted most of the time. I've played through Doom 2 and Megaman 2 probably a hundred times each but when I was playing with a friend passing the keyboard/controller I was doing horribly and getting slaughtered on the easier difficulties.

And then finally these guys are very rarely serious reviewers, they're comedians. They exaggerate points for comedic effect. It'd be like taking a Yahtzee or AVGN review as a serious attempt at critique.

Secret of Mana looking a bit unintuitive, slow and clunky is just what the game is like. I'm sure they'll be more into it when they find their second party member though.

Sad to see the same complaints that popped up in the Giant Bomb Endurance Runs threads appear in here too. They're trying to play off eachother and be entertaining, so it's natural that they'll be distracted from time to time. It's also clear that with the exception of maybe A Link to the Past, they aren't that familiar with these games. Besides, I don't think they've been playing offensively bad thus far.

gunbo13

Besides, I don't think they've been playing offensively bad thus far.
Not offensively but they are still bad. That I agree with people on.
Yeah, but they aren't having fun with SoM either.
That's a fair criticism. Game choice can make or break episodes. It just shouldn't be about how "good" they are since being bad is at times very funny. People enjoy Goof Troop a lot and they were ass at that game. Yet the same people are frustrated they aren't speed running Mega Man, SoM, etc...

But yes, them not having fun or the game not working for the setup is a valid argument. I'm willing to wait until they get to co-op in SoM before I judge though. That was surely a reason they picked it up since Pokemon can be a real drawl.

Noi

For the record, I'm not being (totally) serious when I "complain" about how they play. If I didn't enjoy the videos, I wouldn't still be watching them!

...No grumps yet today makes me sad though.

I definitely think they should stick to action games or co-op games. The rpg segments are soooo slow, sometimes I just let the video play in the background because they aren't doing much of interest and they're talking about irrelevant stuff anyway.

That said, I still enjoy this series.

Top Bottom