• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Grumps (aka Egoraptor plays some games)

TheOGB

Banned
I stood next to Kevin Garnett when I was 10 years old

Dude was like 3 feet taller than me

I had to look straight up to see him looking straight down at me

Rated-G

I secretly want them to play No Mans Sky when it comes out, I'm sure Danny would freaking adore it.

>_>;

I'd love to see Danny and maybe Barry play it or something, I feel like Arin would be too much of a downer on it to let Danny really enjoy it.

Like with Arin and Chris's Uncharted 4 playthrough on Oney Plays. It's been funny and they have great chemistry, but their views on story in modern games just don't mesh well with my tastes so it can be frustrating to watch them show so much disdain and lack of appreciation for stuff their friends have worked on.

I dunno, maybe Arin would actually like No Man's Sky. It'd be interesting to see Danny fart around in it nonetheless. I'd love to see Danny play Tearaway but I don't know if they'd make it through the whole thing. I think he'd like it though. Basically I'd love to see Danny play a lot of games simply because his wide eyed enjoyment of more recent stuff is so enjoyable to witness (even via audio).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'd love to see Danny and maybe Barry play it or something, I feel like Arin would be too much of a downer on it to let Danny really enjoy it.

Like with Arin and Chris's Uncharted 4 playthrough on Oney Plays. It's been funny and they have great chemistry, but their views on story in modern games just don't mesh well with my tastes so it can be frustrating to watch them show so much disdain and lack of appreciation for stuff their friends have worked on.

I dunno, maybe Arin would actually like No Man's Sky. It'd be interesting to see Danny fart around in it nonetheless. I'd love to see Danny play Tearaway but I don't know if they'd make it through the whole thing. I think he'd like it though. Basically I'd love to see Danny play a lot of games simply because his wide eyed enjoyment of more recent stuff is so enjoyable to witness (even via audio).

It's definitely easier to watch Arin do anything when you just take all of his ranting as entertainment and him attempting to get a laugh out of it. His comments on Uncharted4 in one of their recent videos where he basically said "it's a good movie that you have to wait to watch while you play a terrible game!" is just so wrong it's laughable. I get the feeling sometimes that he's just across the board shite at games that involve any interaction with 3d space. I'm sure he'd love a dollar bin garbage Mega Man clone if it ran smoothly and didn't have any cutscenes in it at all even if everything else about it was turrible. Still hilarious to watch him lose his godamned mind.

And yes... the pure joy that Danny shows when he plays newer, more involved, more detailed and in depth games is pretty great. I hope they at least do like one or two episodes of NMS. Just to stare at the pretty things.

Chao

Loved it when Chris told Arin to shut up when he was arguing whether Crash was still a ND ip or not.

Danny usually has to go with what Arin says because he doesn't follow gaming stuff and can't tell if he's making shit up or not, but Chris can't be fooled!

Boogiepop

...Dang it, looks like they fell for the fake ending and have called Sonic and the Black Knight "done" despite not being done it at all. Really hope that gets through to them and they do go back and actually finish it...

...Dang it, looks like they fell for the fake ending and have called Sonic and the Black Knight "done" despite not being done it at all. Really hope that gets through to them and they do go back and actually finish it...

Well, it doesn't say 'finale' on the episode title like finales usually do

Can you blame them though? The game doesn't even try to tease it's a fake ending, game's done, roll the credits, back to the main menu.

I'd probably snap the disc in half before opening the map screen again.

Crocodile

Ok even I was thinking there was no way that could be the end of the game. Something felt off. I'm curious to see how long it take them to get back to it and/or if they figured out how to see the rest of the game immediately.

Boogiepop

Well, it doesn't say 'finale' on the episode title like finales usually do
Good point, and hopefully that's a good sign.
Can you blame them though? The game doesn't even try to tease it's a fake ending, game's done, roll the credits, back to the main menu.

I'd probably snap the disc in half before opening the map screen again.

Sure don't blame them as it's 100% the game's fault and a stupid design choice (like most everything in the game), but I do want to see them do the whole thing. IIRC like 50% of the game actually comes after that ending, which is ridiculous. But it was made extra frustrating by the fact that they actually DID go back in and just barely missed seeing something that would make them go "oh, huh, looks like there's more plot".

Sure don't blame them as it's 100% the game's fault and a stupid design choice (like most everything in the game), but I do want to see them do the whole thing. IIRC like 50% of the game actually comes after that ending, which is ridiculous. But it was made extra frustrating by the fact that they actually DID go back in and just barely missed seeing something that would make them go "oh, huh, looks like there's more plot".
I assume it's that red dot on the map, right?

I don't think Arin would be as dismissive of No Mans Sky as it's the kind of game that's not really going to hold your hand and force you into an hour of tutorials before you're given freedom, it's tempo is controlled by the player and that seems to be exactly the kind of thing Arin is always asking of modern games.

Which is totally unlike UC4, which I think Arin and Oney's critiques of have been on point, most of what they've said so far was going through my head when I was playing through the excruciating Kid-Drake opening. Once UC4's visuals become dated (which won't take long) I think people are going to be surprised at how dull UC4 really is under it's thick makeup application.

I look forward to seeing the crew tackle the new zelda as well, as it also seems to be a rebellion of modern game design, something I can't imagine Arin giving shit for.

Rated-G

I don't think Arin would be as dismissive of No Mans Sky as it's the kind of game that's not really going to hold your hand and force you into an hour of tutorials before you're given freedom, it's tempo is controlled by the player and that seems to be exactly the kind of thing Arin is always asking of modern games.

Which is totally unlike UC4, which I think Arin and Oney's critiques of have been on point, most of what they've said so far was going through my head when I was playing through the excruciating Kid-Drake opening. Once UC4's visuals become dated (which won't take long) I think people are going to be surprised at how dull UC4 really is under it's thick makeup application.

I look forward to seeing the crew tackle the new zelda as well, as it also seems to be a rebellion of modern game design, something I can't imagine Arin giving shit for.

I think It depends what people want in a game, Arin's pretty dismissive of the fact that there's a definite audience for games like Uncharted 2-4 (since he apparently loved the first game), in fact a lot of the more retro leaning YouTubers are dismissive of that audience, I've heard the argument that story has no place in games so many times just in the past few months and that something like Uncharted 4 is inherently inferior to a game like Overwatch... (From 4 separate sources no less... Which is entirely subjective.

Sure the visuals on whatever game is a graphical marvel for it's time will eventually become dated or less impressive, that's where art direction comes in to keep the game looking good. It's why people still praise Uncharted 2 and 3's visuals despite how outclassed they've become in the years since they came out. I'm sure it'll be the same way for 4. These games still excel in the quality of their mocap and the hand animation that accentuates it. That 2 still has more well rounded animation that many games coming out even now has really given it's impressions legs.

I think the issue is that there's a very stubborn set of gamers who just don't like a more narrative experience in their games, there's nothing wrong with that of course. But we're storytellers at heart and we always find ways to explore that drive in every form of media. Games are young, but developers have made great strides in storytelling using games as the medium. They're still feeling out how to do it effectively, uniquely, and engagingly. There are missteps, some techniques are stronger than others depending on the individuals playing it.

So it's frustrating to see players that have such large audiences (given how there ar meant people who don't form their own opinions) be so dismissive of games that attempt to do anything other than be a "game". I'm not saying Arin has to like the games, no one does, but it's a shame that he and others disregard the fact that there are people who do. So maybe Uncharted 4 will be dull for some players, I'm sure that will happen. Just as there are players who are on their 10th replay and still enjoying it. It's all subjective, but there are so many who continue to talk like it isn't. I guess this isn't really specifically about Arin anymore. Anyway sorry to rant here, I don't mean for this to be specifically about Uncharted, and I don't mean to say that game is beyond criticism, I have my own problems with it, and some of Arin an Chris's complaints are understandable... It's more just about attitude I think, and it was just the subject at hand. And I don't mean to come off aggressive toward you or anyone in this thread, or even Arin. Despite some of his opinions that don't line up with my own, he's incredibly nice and down to earth and great to work with.

Anyway, I DO hope they give No Man's Sky a shot. I'd like to see some stuff from a variety of sources when it comes out before I decide if I'm going to get it.

As far as 3D Sonic games go, because those are always entertainment, I really hope they do Sonic Heroes at some point, just to see Danny's response to using three characters at once. I think really it's just that, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Unleashed they haven't done?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am loving the shit out of the Katamari Forever playthrough. I love how it looks. But it's a shame all the music is just remixes of the music from the first two games. Like they blew their wad way too early with the first game, scrounged up some more for the second, then couldn't top it since.

And Sonic and the Black Knight is so great. I can feel Arin's pain. It's wonderful. What a shit show.

Rated-G

I am loving the shit out of the Katamari Forever playthrough. I love how it looks. But it's a shame all the music is just remixes of the music from the first two games. Like they blew their wad way too early with the first game, scrounged up some more for the second, then couldn't top it since.

And Sonic and the Black Knight is so great. I can feel Arin's pain. It's wonderful. What a shit show.

Despite the soundtrack, which I totally agree on (luckily the existing music is so great), Katamari Forever is probably my favorite Katamari game. Consensus seems to be We <3 Katamari with anyone I talk to, but I love the visual filters and overall package here. They make for awesome and chill Grumps episodes too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Despite the soundtrack, which I totally agree on (luckily the existing music is so great), Katamari Forever is probably my favorite Katamari game. Consensus seems to be We <3 Katamari with anyone I talk to, but I love the visual filters and overall package here. They make for awesome and chill Grumps episodes too.
I would give anything for a HD Katamari Collection (Clever name to be thought of at a later date) released on PC/XBO/PS4/NX. But mostly PC or NX. Or even Wii U. I just want to play something passed the first two PS2 games. I never even bought the original PSP version. I had an iOS version a while ago but it was just boring and hard to control. And the new iOS version is just a stupid side scroller from what I can tell.

I didn't even know Katamari Forever existed. The last game I was familiar with was the 360 version they played a couple years ago. I had the demo of it when I had an Xbox way back 7/8 years ago.

Anyway sorry to rant here, I don't mean for this to be specifically about Uncharted, and I don't mean to say that game is beyond criticism, I have my own problems with it, and some of Arin an Chris's complaints are understandable... It's more just about attitude I think, and it was just the subject at hand. And I don't mean to come off aggressive toward you or anyone in this thread, or even Arin. Despite some of his opinions that don't line up with my own, he's incredibly nice and down to earth and great to work with.

Nah I get you man, no problem. Arin definitely has an attitude about it despite that I agree with his criticisms. He can come off extremely condescending sometimes, in one of the UC4 videos he was like "...I guess there's people out there who like those games?" when describing GTA5, one of the most popular games ever, so Arin definitely lives in his own little bubble and is inexplicably oblivious to the taste of the average gamer. I think I've just kinda accepted that Arin's viewpoint on game design isn't really going to change since he's become so used to having smoke blown up his ass 24/7, 365 so I've just kinda come to expect gleeful ignorance from him at this point :p

Dat feeling when you advertise your shirts on other channels because yours doesn't have any viewers...
Eh, KKG has a reasonable viewerbase considering it's barely been 2 years since it started and it's well... Suzy.

If I could advertise something on a channel 10 times bigger than mine for free I sure as hell would do it.

It was that story from the early 90s about a girl who was tortured every day until she died and apparently a character in a game is based on her or something.

Wait, what?

Yeah, it was in one of the recent sonic episodes. Poor girl was tortured for 44 days by your classmates and then killed and they have the account of what happened and of course you're inclined to look it up and are scared for life. Apparently one of the new characters in resident evil remake was made after her according to Arin. Don't look it up.

Apparently the guy who said what they did was released after like 5 years, arrested for something else and is just out living with everyone else :(

Yeah, it was in one of the recent sonic episodes. Poor girl was tortured for 44 days by your classmates and then killed and they have the account of what happened and of course you're inclined to look it up and are scared for life. Apparently one of the new characters in resident evil remake was made after her according to Arin. Don't look it up.

Apparently the guy who said what they did was released after like 5 years, arrested for something else and is just out living with everyone else :(
What the flying fuck is this Saw shit

RagnarokX

So I check out today's episode of Mario Maker and they played one of my courses! But they spend the whole episode talking about Ghostbusters controversy and not once checking any of the blocks for the powerups that are inside them :(

So I check out today's episode of Mario Maker and they played one of my courses! But they spend the whole episode talking about Ghostbusters controversy and not once checking any of the blocks for the powerups that are inside them :(

You think Arin has an attention span? Bro, I've got some bad news for you...

RetroMG

I need you to spoil it for me - is that one red key coin that Arin keeps skipping important? Because he's going out of his way to get the other two, and it's driving me nuts that he keeps ignoring the third one.

RagnarokX

I need you to spoil it for me - is that one red key coin that Arin keeps skipping important? Because he's going out of his way to get the other two, and it's driving me nuts that he keeps ignoring the third one.

The pink coins are optional, but you have to go past the last one to find the path to reach it. There are progressive power ups in the brick blocks below the sledge bros. Who fights hammer/sledge bros only by jumping on top of them? Arin, that's who :p

I also designed the course with speed running in mind. Speed running it is really sick and getting the fastest time requires a really tight triple jump at the very end. Nobody has beaten my fastest time.

There's also a hidden Yoshi in the first part before you go inside the temple.

Here's a video of someone that beat it with all pink coins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSuzp42fx8

RetroMG

The pink coins are optional, but you have to go past the last one to find the path to reach it. There are progressive power ups in the brick blocks below the sledge bros. Who fights hammer/sledge bros only by jumping on top of them? Arin, that's who :p

I also designed the course with speed running in mind. Speed running it is really sick and getting the fastest time requires a really tight triple jump at the very end. Nobody has beaten my fastest time.

There's also a hidden Yoshi in the first part before you go inside the temple.

Here's a video of someone that beat it with all pink coins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSuzp42fx8

Oh, that's really neat. I may have to go give your level a try.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They had an art show just for what they drew on art academy? Getting a little weird....
I dunno. Some of the "interpretations" they drew were pretty damn good.

I still have the last 6 episodes to catch up on. I stopped a week ago when they started making them over an hour each with the intention to catch up later. Didn't know there'd be half a dozen more episodes with like 8-9 hours of content. What in the world did they talk about all that time?

Ahhh the ending of Bowser's Prison Fight was amazing. Shades of Mario Sunshine.
Oh my god it was amazing. Literally didn't see it coming at all. Such a troll move for creators to do. Nintendo's fault for letting you hide stuff behind the end pole.

RagnarokX

Oh Arin. You have articuno, zapdos, and moltres and against a machamp you send out the only one of the 3 weak against fighting moves and one of the 2 4x weak to rock moves.

MrBadger

As hilarious as Arin's little rant about his legacy of being wrong was, it's also kinda sad, lol.

"When I was a kid, I was like, 'I'm going to make a movie or something, or I'm going to make a show that's going to inspire millions!' No, I'm going to get cut up into an 'Arin Sucks' compilation on YouTube by some Sonic fan."

Top Bottom