• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

My problem with the touchpad on the PS4 is that it takes such a massive amount of space on the controller, for something I don't feel has a lot of potential. This is going to be like the sixaxis 2.0. Sony will shove it into everything year 1 and 2, then drop it year 3-7.

I would have paid an extra $20, put a touch screen on there, and give me rudimentary abilities. No, I don't want to play my game on the touch screen. What I want is to check messages quickly on there, friend invites, trophies, friend list, etc. etc.

But alas, we are stuck with this turd.

I don't mean the entire controller, just that garbage in the middle of it.

An lcd screen on the controller would be dumb and expensive if all the screen is gonna be used for is checking trophies messages etc, imagine having to check on that lil lcd as a map or something else in game. The philosophy of the ps4 is immediacy, so if you wanna check out something quick just wake up your console from sleep and its all there within seconds.

The touchpad will be used for non game specific things too like browsing menus, internet, apps etc

thuway

Are there any comparisons between this and the 360 controller?

Three things Sony:

1. Vita D-pad
2. Change the plastics used for the controller.
3. Make the buttons feel good to press.

QaaQer

My problem with the touchpad on the PS4 is that it takes such a massive amount of space on the controller, for something I don't feel has a lot of potential. This is going to be like the sixaxis 2.0. Sony will shove it into everything year 1 and 2, then drop it year 3-7.

I would have paid an extra $20, put a touch screen on there, and give me rudimentary abilities. No, I don't want to play my game on the touch screen. What I want is to check messages quickly on there, friend invites, trophies, friend list, etc. etc.

But alas, we are stuck with this turd.

I don't mean the entire controller, just that garbage in the middle of it.

It won't be as useless as sixaxis, but that isn't saying much.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

Interestingly, it seems Sony at one point "toyed" with the idea of adding a -depth- camera on/for the Dualshock (4?), as demonstrated in the patent application titled "Methods for Interfacing With an Interactive Application Using a Controller With an Integrated Camera" (Filed: 12/26/2012, Published: 05/09/2013)

dualshock_camerasouvk.png

In the embodiment shown in FIG. 2A-1, the mobile depth camera 105 is integrated within the controller 104. In FIG. 2A-2, the mobile depth camera 105 is shown as an external module that can be attached to an exterior port 220b on the controller 104 using a connector 220a (e.g., USB, or other electrical connector). In both embodiments, the mobile depth camera 105 can include a lens 200, a depth module 202 along with an image module 204, and logic processing 206. The depth module 202 can include a variety of sensors, emitters, and logic. In one embodiment, multiple infrared (IR) emitters can be arranged in an array around the lens 200. The IR emitters can be used to send pulses of IR light that reflect off of objects in front of the controller 104. Sensors associated with the IR emitters can measure the time for the reflected IR pulses to return in order to help determine the distance, or depth, of an object from the controller 104.

I guess they settled with the lightbar/PS Eye combo at the end. (no other dualshock 4 surprises right?)

Not in the Sony news/leaks loop so be nice if old. (searched though)

I think I'll miss the old analogs. Never had a problem with having my fingers slipping and I liked the fluidity and sensitivity.

Eusis

I think I'll miss the old analogs. Never had a problem with having my fingers slipping and I liked the fluidity and sensitivity.
Like I noted I think slipping was actually more likely going to be an issue with the convex PS1 Analog Controller sticks than the concave DualShock/Sixaxis sticks, just because of the material (matte plastic, but plastic nevertheless versus rubber.)

i-Lo

It would be great if DS4 had rumble functionality for triggers as well.

You can't use the PS controllers because they have analogue sticks shaped to the natural symmetrical positioning of your hands?

This way he can avoid confusing his one thumb for the other

Same. Hope some third party will sell covers to make them rounded again. Just the way I use and have always used the sticks. I don't move my entire thumb around, but basically "rock" the stick to where I want to move it using the curve. Also why I never had a problem with thumbs hitting, as if I want the sticks to the center, my thumbs are on the outer edge.

Just one of those things that I was surprised as fuck at other people having a problem with when I first started hearing about people hating on the DS sticks. Took me a while to realize it was just because they were using them in a different way to find out how it was even possible.

ZaCH3000

Same. Hope some third party will sell covers to make them rounded again. Just the way I use and have always used the sticks. I don't move my entire thumb around, but basically "rock" the stick to where I want to move it using the curve. Also why I never had a problem with thumbs hitting, as if I want the sticks to the center, my thumbs are on the outer edge.

Just one of those things that I was surprised as fuck at other people having a problem with when I first started hearing about people hating on the DS sticks. Took me a while to realize it was just because they were using them in a different way to find out how it was even possible.

Then you'll like the DS4 sticks as well. The sticks are a combination of the concave/convex. The outer edges are rounded to an edge. At the edge it begins to concave.

I game the same way with my thumbs on the outer edge because it gives me better control and precision.

My thumbs get calluses from the pressure and friction that position puts on them. Its still the superior technique.

I'm sure there are games that better utilize the concave thumb position so its good to have the option of one or the other.

Then you'll like the DS4 sticks as well. The sticks are a combination of the concave/convex. The outer edges are rounded to an edge. At the edge it begins to concave.

Well of course I'm going to give them a try before trying to find after market solutions to problems only I may have. Hope they work out as well as you say though.

So I have a question about that touch pad - is it confirmed to be a button itself? Like, it clicks in upon each of the four corners?

I honestly can't imagine what rumbling triggers would add to my gaming experience.

But maybe I just lack imagination.

I think it would be neat for a QTE that doesn't have a visual cue.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think what people mean is that they want it to be a single piece that sits above the controller surface, rather than segmented.

I just like the clickyness of the Vita d-pad. Hopefully some of that feel translates over to the DS4 for the d-pad but the buttons remain smooth.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

This is can be a deal breaker for me. I hate stiff sticks. They completely ruin accuracy in shooters and racing games. Stiff sticks are probably my biggest problems with the 360 controller. Other than the poor d-pad of course.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Has anyone told them they've put the left stick in the wrong place? They're kinda leaving it late to fix here.

You should get your eyes checked because it's in the right place.

This is can be a deal breaker for me. I hate stiff sticks. They completely ruin accuracy in shooters and racing games. Stiff sticks are probably my biggest problems with the 360 controller. Other than the poor d-pad of course.

I would like them a bit stuffer than the DS3 sticks but not as tight as the 360s. A bit more resistance combined with the shorter length should provide much more accuracy.

93xfan

Banned
Personally, I can't wait to see what they use the track pad for. I imagine Inventory selections will be much easier in games like Skyrim

I honestly can't imagine what rumbling triggers would add to my gaming experience.

But maybe I just lack imagination.

it would act like resistance or feedback for recoil in shooters.

just something to make it feel more like pulling a real trigger on a gun i imagine, although it does need to be implemented well..

I hope the sticks are as close to the 360 controller as can be. The 360 controller was near perfect, and I actually think I prefer the look of the DS4 compared to the XBone controller so far.

dejay

Banned
Adapt. How hard can it be?

My gripe with the DS3 had little to do with the symmetry of the sticks, but the ergonomics of the handles in relation to how I held it with my fingers on the triggers. I'm 95% certain I'll enjoy the DS4 a lot more.

mkotechno

Banned
Nobody mentioned Dualshock 4 also include high sensitivity accelerometers and gyroscopic sensors to be used as steering wheel, tweaked by Evolution studios?

Mrbob

I've never really cared about playing racers using the gyro functionality, but perhaps it will be better this time around.

Mithos

Sounds almost perfect. Very glad they didn't listen to the people saying DS3 was perfect blegh...can't wait to try it out

Unless the controller also is bigger/larger, they have missed something to fix, the DS3 is too small for my hands to be comfortable any longer moment.

Mrbob

It's bigger:

ps3-ps4.jpg

I didn't realize the top where the shoulder buttons are have been smoothed. This should make it easier to grip the controller and use the shoulder buttons/triggers as well.

Top Bottom