• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

LeleSocho

Banned
Why? It looks just like the Vita dpad, apart from the connector bit in the middle of the cross. The whole thing could easily be connected under the cowling. What makes it a "Vita dpad"? It's a bit clicky?

The gap between the buttons are the cause of callus if you use the d-pad for a long time (fighting games for example) and since it costs them absolutely nothing to make it like the Vita one i don't understand why they shouldn't.
After all these years Sony have a great chance to make a good controller but they lose themselves in nothing...

PS4 Eyetoy is mounted above/below TV. It should probably be able to see your gamepad.

tumblr_mijv6bXM0m1qip08ro1_500.jpg

EyeToy3.jpg

Johnny 5 is alive!
johnny-5-cowboy.jpg

This is a compliment, i am a fan of the PS4 Eyetoy design.

So do people really enjoy having the shoot/aim on L1 and R1? I honestly thought it was the most annoying thing about the ps3. The ps4 controller looks to have amazing triggers and I really hope developers dont use L1 and R1 (imo) wrongly again

Have to admit, the DS4 looks great, I can't wait to get hold of it and try it out.

Re, the new eyetoy, does it draw it's power through it's connection to the console?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So do people really enjoy having the shoot/aim on L1 and R1? I honestly thought it was the most annoying thing about the ps3. The ps4 controller looks to have amazing triggers and I really hope developers dont use L1 and R1 (imo) wrongly again

The triggers are terrible on the DS3 for aiming and shooting. I had to buy Realtriggers to even make games playable that didn't let me change it but I'm still not a fan. That said, I would prefer the feel of triggers so I hope they become standard on the DS4 or we're at least given the option to use them.

jayb

Yes, because there's no need for the range of motion that L2/R2 has just to aim and shoot. I don't like using the L2/R2 triggers at all really, unless it's for something like acceleration in a driving game.

I'd rather just press a short button to perform an action that does not require any sort of button sensitivity.

Pctx

Banned
Gonna have to change that rapper gif of them throwing money in the air to Kaz and Trent. Good lord, when you get excited for a controller you know the system is going to be amazing.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Looks basically perfect for me.

so happy the sticks didn't move. Touchpad looks sexy. triggers and deadzones sound like gravy ...

Can't wait. Cannot wait for this system.

Ranger X

This controller looks awesome. Changes just enough so it fixes previous flaws and doesn't too much so I'll continue to feel right at home. This is great.

I'm so happy with this controller. It looks like basically everything I could have wanted to improve on the DS controller, without ripping off the 360 controller

This is one of those controllers that you just can't wait to hold in your hands, even though your supposed to be more excited about the PS4 and its games. Yeah, I'm weird like that. I still remember getting my first Wii and acting like the Wii remote was the full package by itself lol.

Eusis

This is one of those controllers that you just can't wait to hold in your hands, even though your supposed to be more excited about the PS4 and its games. Yeah, I'm weird like that. I still remember getting my first Wii and acting like the Wii remote was the full package by itself lol.
I think in this case it's because it's the first major overhaul they've had in a long time. They WERE going to overhaul the DS3, but then everyone complained and rather than finetune to take out the most serious issues and just let people TRY and see for themselves how the "batarang" really was they just put it in the classic DualShock shell but with shitty triggers and mostly subtle tweaks. This looks to be an overhaul that mostly acknowledges both what some of their long time users may prefer but tweak it overall to be more comfortable.

tumblr_inline_mmk9ipw34F1qz4rgp.jpg

Fred: There’s something straight up EROTIC about the look of the PS4 controller.
Levi: Ew weirdo.
Fred: Dude look at it.
Fred: Fucking curves.
Fred: And rigid edges.
Fred: ~rigid~
Fred: Also I put a lot more whiskey in this drink.
Levi: Maybe its the fact that the L1 & R1 look like eyes and the move party looks like a mouth
Fred: WHELP
Fred: CAN’T UNSEE THAT NOW.
tumblr_inline_mmk9o80klW1qz4rgp.gif

Iacobellis

I like how the PSEye(s) is seemingly built with blocks.
Maybe they will sell individual block modules (Microphone, HD Cam, IR detector, Speaker, Laserlight...) so you can build your own device.

You're a genius.

It would definitely fragment the userbase, though.

EvilErnie

Neo Member
The Dualshoch4 blue light remebers me too Rambo 3 Scene.

Mousa: What is this for?
Rambo: It's a blue light.
Mousa: What does it do?
Rambo: Turns blue.

what-is-this-for-its-a-blue_clink_large.jpg

vg260

I really think this could be the best controller ever, and one of the reasons I'm excited for the system. It's pretty huge in terms of winning over gamers for multiplatform games. I think the DS3 really hurt them in that regard (FPS).

What kind of weirdness is holding a controller with fingers. How is that even a thing?!

I have played with PS controllers since the first one came out. Easily my most favorite controller and never in my life have I had any issue with it while gripping the controller like any normal human would.

Looks basically perfect for me.

so happy the sticks didn't move. Touchpad looks sexy. triggers and deadzones sound like gravy ...

Can't wait. Cannot wait for this system.

Well, they did move them further apart. Plus the longer handles will mean my left thumb can more easily rest at the 2 oclock position instead of the 3 oclock position. Not an issue for some, but I will feel better with my thumb at the slightly higher angle.

I really think this could be the best controller ever, and one of the reasons I'm excited for the system. It's pretty huge in terms of winning over gamers for multiplatform games. I think the DS3 really hurt them in that regard (FPS).

I think the sticks not being offset will still annoy some users.

Now I am really confused cause I definitely don't hold the controller like this

ps3controller_inhands.jpg

I cant try it cause I am away from home but I believe my palms are at least holding onto the sides of the controller to stabilize it. The truth is I think I adjust according to the game I am playing, the controller is very adaptable.

QaaQer

Sounds good but I wont know for sure until I hold one myself. I really want to hold one myself :(

Im also one of those freaks that can play with symmetrical and asymmetrical sticks so Im not bothered one bit by either layout :p

yeah, as long as something isn't uncomfortable, I totally forget about the controller.

Honestly, you both sound brainwashed.
My ONLY beefs with the DS3 are the analogs can lose grip, they solved that, the triggers could be better, they fixed that, and the controller can be bigger so there's more to hold, they fixed that.

So how is that not perfect for me. You must be real smart though (clearly), so you must be right about whatever it is you're not saying.

I suppose having Bungie's approval is enough but you can't go throwing around names like that without having them talk about their contribution or comments.

I am still not a fan of the glossy face buttons. Rest is starting to look decent.

Amir0x

Banned
Bungie helped them design the controller? Damn Sony be outreachin' this gen

seriously so far Sony's PS4 reveal has been butter smooth and impressively focused, so i hope they get the price right. Console seems super pro-developer, pro-indies and pro-consumer, just the way I like it.

Mikey Jr.

My problem with the touchpad on the PS4 is that it takes such a massive amount of space on the controller, for something I don't feel has a lot of potential. This is going to be like the sixaxis 2.0. Sony will shove it into everything year 1 and 2, then drop it year 3-7.

I would have paid an extra $20, put a touch screen on there, and give me rudimentary abilities. No, I don't want to play my game on the touch screen. What I want is to check messages quickly on there, friend invites, trophies, friend list, etc. etc.

But alas, we are stuck with this turd.

I don't mean the entire controller, just that garbage in the middle of it.

Top Bottom