• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

gtj1092

That's exactly how I hold the controller and I still had problems with my fingers bumping into each other; especially in games that use both analog sticks (obviously).

Do you use the tips of your thumbs or the middle portion. I can't recreate my thumbs touching unless I drape half of my thumb over the stick.

Izick

oBdSdls.jpg

The Lamp

I hold it the same way I hold a 360 controller, the comfortable way (again not my photo)
windowslivewritersonytunnelsyndromeps3controllertoosmall-8d24360hand2.jpg

I dont want to claw grip a controller ever, thats uncomfortable to me as I dont have midget hands.

I have bigger hands than anyone I know and I hold both controllers just fine. You're just not supposed to hold them both exactly the same way. If you grip on to the handlebars of the Dualshock with all your might and if you have big hands, your thumbs and fingers are just not going to land on the face buttons and thumbsticks correctly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I have bigger hands than anyone I know and I hold both controllers just fine. You're just not supposed to hold them both exactly the same way. If you grip on to the handlebars of the Dualshock with all your might and if you have big hands, your thumbs and fingers are just not going to land on the face buttons and thumbsticks correctly.

And from the design of the new controller its obvious sony recognizes that some people want to hold the controller this way, and has fixed that issue by extending the handle bars and moving the sticks farther apart. Just like how Sony originally designed the dual analogue stick as I showed in my post earlier.

Are the "bumpers" still used as triggers on FPS games? That is the one thing that threw me off switching from xbox to PS3 controller.

Izick

Are the "bumpers" still used as triggers on FPS games? That is the one thing that threw me off switching from xbox to PS3 controller.

If GG made sure the triggers were perfect, then I'm curious as to what the default scheme is for K:SF. To me that sounds like it'd be triggers. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll use the triggers or shoulder buttons as my means of shooting in games. I've come to really enjoy the shoulder button layout for games on the PS3.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Shooting with the bumpers/L1-R1 is pretty comfy to me.

I see no point in arguing over little things like this when it looks like stick placement and chasis are greatly improved. The buttons and triggers are also tuned. I think people will like the feel after they've held it.

I certainly don't think it looks anywhere near ugly. Pictures don't do anything justice.

I remember the original Slim unveil and that turned out to be a great redesign. Much like the 360 Slim was a vast improvement over the initial models.

The asymmetrical argument never made much sense to me. The analog stick that requires fine movements is the right stick, which is positioned the same on PS3 or 360. The left stick only ever requires passive movements - hold a stick in one direction.

PS3's analogs aren't good because they are not positioned correctly relative to the length and depth of the handles. PS4 looks to fix that, at least going by the pictures.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Makes it sound like they wanted to go asymmetrical but couldnt because of that stupid touchpad :(

In the article it doesn't sound like that. It sounds like just one observation of the writer, not a motivation for Sony, or their only motivation.

What a nice evolution of the ds controller. The ds3 was far from perfect and was in dire need of a modern update and Sony nailed it. Better analogs with more spacing, much better ergonomics and triggers.. Nice job.

On a purely aesthetic note, it looks horrible imo.

That said, every change they are making is a plus, and seem to solidify the controller as the best for me. Can't wait to test it out.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.
sounds good. something closer toward the xbox stiffness is welcomed.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.
I'm actually one of the people that have this happen to them. I think it has more to do with the overall size of the controller than anything. with wider palm grips I'll be using the tips of my thumbs and not my joints like I do now.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.
good. I hate using L1 R1 for shooters.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.
I have a desk between me and my consoles. is this light bar/eyetoy a requirement for the system?

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.
so happy Sony finally changed that 20year old design. it worked when I was 13 and most games revolved around the d-pad and face buttons. it was overdue.

It never was an issue for those who held the DS as it should be; tips of the thumbs on the sticks, the handles resting on your fingers, instead of gripping them with your palms.

Like this.
mb7MF8Z.jpg

that's if you use the flat part of your thumb. there are people like me who uses the area near where thumb joint is.

Also, love this assumption that asymmetrical is automatically the better control scheme.
if the sticks are symmetrical it is inherently bad because it causes me to do this

ps3shksn.gif

that GIF is absolute proof that asymmetrical is the better design, end of discussion

Mandoric

Banned
that's if you use the flat part of your thumb. there are people like me who uses the area near where thumb joint is.

Which is why your thumbs bump into each other. It's not designed to be held that way, and doing it is like complaining that the sticks on the X360 pad are hard to use when you play it with the cable facing you Dreamcast-style.

ZaCH3000

The sticks being a hybrid of convex/concave is great news for me.

I use the edge of the sticks to get greater precision in FPS and racing games. The convex stick is much superior for that. I can't wait to try this controller out.

Jarmel

Banned
Only good news in there. The spacing between sticks is great and I like the trigger improvements. I'll have to try it first though before passing judgment either way.

Which is why your thumbs bump into each other. It's not designed to be held that way, and doing it is like complaining that the sticks on the X360 pad are hard to use when you play it with the cable facing you Dreamcast-style.

bad design for me then because I like to hold a controller, not touch one.

Flatline

Banned
if the sticks are symmetrical it is inherently bad because it causes me to do this

ps3shksn.gif

that GIF is absolute proof that asymmetrical is the better design, end of discussion

You do realize that gif is a joke, right? I could do the exact same thing with 360 controller.

Eusis

ps3shksn.gif

That's probably more an example of what happens when you give a controller to someone without fine motor skills.

EDIT: And actually I'd be very weary about using that .gif in defense of asymmetrical stick design, as that seems to also implicate the 360's as being bad and that the only good one is the Wii U's setup. Which I actually think IS preferable to the X360 controller after enough time spent with it at least in Pro Controller form, but still not a good argument for asymmetrical either.

Meh, their reasoning for not changing the stick layout is pretty weak IMO. It almost sounds like a reason they came up with to hide the real reason - the fact that that stick layout is iconic Sony and theyre too deeply invested in it to mix it up now. Other than that, good news all around from this hands on.

Going back to the Dualshock's stick layout will be a challenge after the greatness that is the 360 pad.

Finally Sony fans will get to enjoy an actually good controller. So we can give the myth that the DS3 isn't complete ass to rest.

I think your two situations are incomparable. I think the fact that there is a "right" way to hold the controller speaks volumes about its design. Personally, I think a well-designed controller requires no explanation on how to hold it. You just hold it. With the DualShock 3, suddenly you have to hold it with your fingers, not your hands. You have to use this specific part of your thumbs to use the sticks. Does any other controller ask this of the player (I'm genuinely asking; I don't take part in controller discussion very often)?

Ark

I think your two situations are incomparable. I think the fact that there is a "right" way to hold the controller speaks volumes about its design. Personally, I think a well-designed controller requires no explanation on how to hold it. You just hold it. With the DualShock 3, suddenly you have to hold it with your fingers, not your hands. You have to use this specific part of your thumbs to use the sticks. Does any other controller ask this of the player (I'm genuinely asking; I don't take part in controller discussion very often)?

I've always head the Dualshock in the correct way and I'm flabbergasted that there are people who hold it incorrectly.

Eusis

Actually I think this is the kind of thing that happens when something else becomes extremely popular and people try something different, so people who are mostly used with the 360 controller or perhaps GC's will try holding the DS3 the exact same way and get frustrated at how it works. Which IS kind of odd after the PS2 days, but I never saw these kinds of complaints then or in the PS1 days, though that might be worth looking into relative to the N64 controller. On that note, the N64 controller CLEARLY had three prongs to use and people frequently used it wrong anyway.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You do realize that gif is a joke, right? I could do the exact same thing with 360 controller.

People still using Dot50cal's GIFS? Those were meant to be a joke for the fanboys.

I think most treated it as a joke too, this may be the first serious use I've seen.

lmao no I'm sure he thought that was actual proof of the sony controllers inferiority.

Guys, it was a joke. He wasn't being serious.

I want this so fucking much.

It pretty much has my wish-list of what they needed to do to DS3... other than just make it a 360 controller.

Top Bottom