• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

I've always head the Dualshock in the correct way and I'm flabbergasted that there are people who hold it incorrectly.

Actually I think this is the kind of thing that happens when something else becomes extremely popular and people try something different, so people who are mostly used with the 360 controller or perhaps GC's will try holding the DS3 the exact same way and get frustrated at how it works. Which IS kind of odd after the PS2 days, but I never saw these kinds of complaints then or in the PS1 days, though that might be worth looking into relative to the N64 controller. On that note, the N64 controller CLEARLY had three prongs to use and people frequently used it wrong anyway.

I can understand that. I had no idea people ever held the Nintendo 64 controller like this.

q5erHFe.jpg

Also, for the record, I personally don't have any problems holding the DualShock 3. However, I do think it is the least comfortable of the other two controllers to hold. I just think the DualShock 3 requires a certain specificity that isn't immediately clear while the other controllers do not.

-Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

This and the dented in sticks address my two biggest issue with Dual Shock, looking to be an excellent controller.

jayb

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out how to hold a controller, guys. Whether you're holding an NES controller, 3DS, DS3 or 360 controller, the key is to first line up your thumbs with the buttons, and then everything else falls into place.

In the case of the DS3, you would end up holding the controller more with your fingers. For the 360 controllers your palms would get more love.

If you're first trying to figure out where you put your palms or fingers, you're doing it wrong.

Sendou

Seems like an awesome controller. DS3 was fucking horrible though so they don't have a free pass over my doubts. I'll believe it when I touch it. Vita is nice enough though.

Raist

Banned
Ridges on the triggers don't look to be very pronounced.

Also, not sure why they didn't use the same design than the PS1's first dual analogue controller for the sticks.

DualAnalogControllerSCPH-1180.jpg

driver116

Also, not sure why they didn't use the same design than the PS1's first dual analogue controller for the sticks.

You see them a bit better in this one:

dualshock4_1.jpg

They look more pronounced than the 360's triggers.

Oppo

Good lord change that goddamn d-pad and use a bigger PSVita one. How they cannot get what's wrong with it?

Why? It looks just like the Vita dpad, apart from the connector bit in the middle of the cross. The whole thing could easily be connected under the cowling. What makes it a "Vita dpad"? It's a bit clicky?

JHall

I'm more of a fan of the Xbox controller because of the asymmetrical sticks. But, I really like the design of the Dualshock 4. It seems they improved everything that was wrong with the Dualshock 3.

Eusis

Also, for the record, I personally don't have any problems holding the DualShock 3. However, I do think it is the least comfortable of the other two controllers to hold. I just think the DualShock 3 requires a certain specificity that isn't immediately clear while the other controllers do not.
I admittedly feel the DualShock 3 is a design that sacrifices mastering comfort in one style of use in favor of being more generally usable and comfortable, 3D action games that don't depend on the shoulder buttons or D-Pad generally are a better fit on 360, but those games will usually still play very nicely on PS3 for me whereas platformers or anything seriously dependent on the D-Pad will be a disaster on 360 but fine on PS3, even if there too the D-Pad isn't ideal. Hopefully the PS4 controller ends up a master of all, adopting the Vita's D-Pad and these other improvements working out.

As counter intuitive as it may sound, the DualShock sticks were better at keeping your thumbs on. Those sticks used cheap plastic rather than rubber tops, so your thumbs were more liable to slide around as I recall (or at least it FELT that way), though the Xbox kind of showed the merit of combining the two.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even if the triggers are much better (which they definitely seem to be) they still shouldn't be used for aiming and shooting. Performing those digital actions using analog triggers always feel awkward and terrible. L1 + R1 for life.

Eusis

Even if the triggers are much better (which they definitely seem to be) they still shouldn't be used for aiming and shooting. Performing those digital actions using analog triggers always feel awkward and terrible. L1 + R1 for life.
Given the design of the shoulder buttons those look like they could be more comfortable for that too. Either way it probably means the whole thing works ideally, whereas the Dual Shock 3 screwed up the L2/R2 buttons in the dumbest way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Given the design of the shoulder buttons those look like they could be more comfortable for that too. Either way it probably means the whole thing works ideally, whereas the Dual Shock 3 screwed up the L2/R2 buttons in the dumbest way.

Yeah, I'm definitely happy that they seem to have fixed the mistakes they made with L2+R2 on the DS3, but digital actions should still be performed using digital/clicky buttons.

What kind of audio quality can we expect from the speaker?

Very impressed with the controller, good to hear triggers and sticks have been improved

This is really good news. PS4 now has a chance to become my primary console next gen.

It's like Sony is finally learning, something they seemed utterly incapable of for an entire generation. Someday we are going to look back on the PS3 and consider it the dark age.

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

That's an SDK issue, not a hardware issue. DS3/Sixaxis doesn't have deadzone built into the sticks, it's in bad default SDK code that too many lazy developers use.

ElRenoRaven

You know I really have to give it to Sony. It's nice to see them listening to developers right down to the controller design. Everything I'm hearing is making it sound like I might actually like the DuelShock design. I've tolerated for 3 gens but never really liked it and namely due to the items they seem to be fixing with the design namely sticks being really lose and the trigger/shoulder button designs.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Looks awesome. My biggest issue with the DS3 wasn't the sticks, it was just the ergonomics in my hand. It felt like turning a TV remote sideways. It looks like they smoothed it out and are 'closer' to having better triggers. I hope they pronounce them a bit more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's an SDK issue, not a hardware issue. DS3/Sixaxis doesn't have deadzone built into the sticks, it's in bad default SDK code that too many lazy developers use.

This is very true. Using my DS3 on my PC (emulating a 360 controller) the sticks are insanely sensitive. The calibration marker in Win7 reacts at the slightest touch.

Atruvius

I hope the sticks are made of better material. I hate how the current rubber they use/ have used on the sticks starts to melt after you haven't used the controller in a while.

Mr.Pig

The asymmetrical argument never made much sense to me. The analog stick that requires fine movements is the right stick, which is positioned the same on PS3 or 360. The left stick only ever requires passive movements - hold a stick in one direction.

PS3's analogs aren't good because they are not positioned correctly relative to the length and depth of the handles. PS4 looks to fix that, at least going by the pictures.

Precisely. I'm looking forward to try it.

Raist

Banned
As counter intuitive as it may sound, the DualShock sticks were better at keeping your thumbs on. Those sticks used cheap plastic rather than rubber tops, so your thumbs were more liable to slide around as I recall (or at least it FELT that way), though the Xbox kind of showed the merit of combining the two.

Yeah obviously not talking about the texture. But the DA's stick were completely concave.

Pagusas

Elden Member
^I'm hating all this motion tech for that soul reason. Right now I love how my theater room looks so clean and slick. Add this crap to it and there is no way to make it look elegant.

farisr

^I'm hating all this motion tech for that soul reason. Right now I love how my theater room looks so clean and slick. Add this crap to it and there is no way to make it look elegant.

That is why if Kinect sensor is required to be connected to the 720, I'm going to think twice about getting it. The PS4 Eye (AFAIK) isn't required, I'm fine with losing the shuffling splitscreen technology for the sake of having a cleaner room.

Right now I actually have my TV on a "rolling stand." The wall behind it is painted in silver-screen paint. Use my TV for regular stuff and single player gaming. Roll the TV out of the way to another room and put on my projector for projector-worthy movies and splitscreen gaming (we each end up getting a 60 inch screen in 4 player splitscreen).

The sensor bar was annoying enough (back when I had the wii for about 2 months) kinect/ps4 eye sized crap is going to be even more annoying.

Nordell

Neo Member
thumbs-up.gif

Stiffer stick resistance, Yep. Alright, trigger ridges. Better D-pad sounds good. comfortable and sturdy, great. This is just what I wanted.

xJavonta

Banned
At least the space between the analogs is increased. That should save the controller.

I seriously want to smack the living fuck out of whoever designed the DS3. Same with the XMB.

I can understand that. I had no idea people ever held the Nintendo 64 controller like this.

q5erHFe.jpg

that's how i held it. any other way felt terrible. the other way is like me gripping a penis with a stick on it.

The triggers were my biggest problem with the DS3, so glad they've been fixed/changed.

Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

Awwww yeahhh.

Top Bottom