• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer July cover story: Halo 5 [Up: Character Shots]

MP

- Game will launch with over 20 maps (unknown how many are forge variants), their plan is to add 15 more by June 2016
- ALL DLC TO BE FREE
- Empire has been tweaked substantially since the beta
- A brand new underwater map revelead called Fathom, is symmetrical.
- BTB to be revealed at E3, or rather a ‘new epic multiplayer experience’, (please be Battlefield Halo).

image.php

Chippiez

Banned
Looking at those Banshees... Oh yay more redesigns. :/
I'll reserve judgment till I get a better look at them.

Time passes-- even in the Halo universe. Compare an F-15 to an F-35. So is it with UNSC and covenant. Things get more refined, less cludgy over the years. That's the best way to look at it.

Brojito

Neo Member
Guardians has been part of Halo for wuite some time.
What specific Spartan abilities because Halo has had them for awhile.

As in "killed by the Guardians"? I wouldn't call that "part of the lore".

Ground pound -> Titan Striker's fist of havoc
Spartan charge -> Titan Striker's shoulder charge
Stabilizer -> Sunsinger's angel of light

Again, no need to get into a "OMG Halo did it first" argument, it doesn't matter, I'm just saying it's interesting to see these similarities in ideas come out.

Again, no need to get into a "OMG Halo did it first" argument, it doesn't matter, I'm just saying it's interesting to see these similarities in ideas come out.
Guardians and now Osiris. Hard to avoid even subconsciously compare the two games.

But when I look at the evolution of the big shooters the major elements I see are all of them rushing to become something akin to Titanfall in terms of mobility more than anything.

jelly

Sounds good, now proof in the pudding.

Glad they are trying with campaign instead of more eye candy.

BTB, must be pretty epic.

AO1JMM

Banned
As in "killed by the Guardians"? I wouldn't call that "part of the lore".

Ground pound -> Titan Striker's fist of havoc
Spartan charge -> Titan Striker's shoulder charge
Stabilizer -> Sunsinger's angel of light

It is part of the lore. Why are you trying to make my comment out to be all dramatic for? There was no "OMG fanboy rage" in my reply.

Red

The new faces look superb.

No gold requirement for co-op and free DLC are an immense show of good will.

Einbroch

Banned
No split screen for co-op?

Never gonna play this, then. Shame, looks nice, but I don't have an XBO and would have loved to play this with my friend.

Madness

There's probably a catch though. Guess we'll find out in a couple days.

Probably because MCC has been an utter letdown and that Battlefront and Call of Duty are going to come like 2-3 weeks after Halo 5. They know they're in tough with fans, need to maintain the playerbase.

Although, is anyone else sorta amused at how much Destiny-ish stuff seems to be making it's way into Halo 5? It's just odd to me, I don't know if it's intentional references, or just purely coincidental design choices.

I mean... Halo 5: Guardians. Fireteam Osiris. Not to mention all the "Spartan Abilities" are ripped straight from Destiny's subclass abilities.

Not trying to make some sort of point, but I just think it's interesting.

This kind of comparison should become a litmus test for younger gamers.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Locke's team has a Artermis Tracking System (ATS). (Visor mode?)
Hmm, interesting.

They weren't a problem in Halo 2 because, after 3'ish months, they were free and you were required to download them. And it wasn't like space was hard to come by on the OG Xbox hard drive.
Yeah, that's why I said 3 / Reach / 4 were worse. Halo 2 still split up the population for the first several months.

It wasn't just a problem that the population was split up either. People who actually paid for the maps rarely got to play them once the DLC playlists were removed. You'd then go into matchmaking and everyone you were matched with had to have the maps or else they never came up. We essentially paid to play the new maps for a month then were regulated to custom games or the rare once in a blue moon game where everyone actually had them. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it was certainly a problem.

Lothars

Probably because MCC has been an utter letdown and that Battlefront and Call of Duty are going to come like 2-3 weeks after Halo 5. They know they're in tough with fans, need to maintain the playerbase.
yup and I think they have a long way to go to prove it.

I'm intrigued.

Not excited... Halo 4 and the fucking MCC burned me too much to really ever trust 343, but I'm at the least intrigued to see more.

Although, is anyone else sorta amused at how much Destiny-ish stuff seems to be making it's way into Halo 5? It's just odd to me, I don't know if it's intentional references, or just purely coincidental design choices.

I mean... Halo 5: Guardians. Fireteam Osiris. Not to mention all the "Spartan Abilities" are ripped straight from Destiny's subclass abilities.

Not trying to make some sort of point, but I just think it's interesting.

Guardians existed in halo before they existed in destiny.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't just a problem that the population was split up either. People who actually paid for the maps rarely got to play them once the DLC playlists were removed. You'd then go into matchmaking and everyone you were matched with had to have the maps or else they never came up. We essentially paid to play the new maps for a month then were regulated to custom games or the rare once in a blue moon game where everyone actually had them. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it was certainly a problem.
Yup, definitely. I'm so glad that'll be ancient history soon.

Top Bottom