• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

scsa

Have expected this all along. We all Will still buy though and give Konami more reason to create more such content to get more $$ out of people. Lol.

That GI video is so awesome. It should be required watching for everyone in this thread.

I was cracking up when one described how he rescued Paz by just driving a truck into the base, shooting everyone, dumping her body into the passenger seat. As he was driving to the helipad a tank shot his truck, it caught fire, he jumped out but the truck kept going with paz in it down a hill and he had to run after it to jump on and throw out Paz!

Another guy found the main power generator for the base and shut off the power. Made sneaking so much easier.

They are GUSHING over this game. Says everyone needs to forget the length and just focus on how amazing the gameplay is and how you will want to try to play this a ton of different ways. They say its the best MGS gameplay by far.

My hype is through the roof.

HIDEO_KOJIMA ‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN:
Since I'm getting lots of questions, we are making the trailer showing the comparisons.
Bf2OylUCUAA5WRr.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/431676855951712257

I'm guessing that this has to do with the graphic comparison?

-Deimos

That GI video is so awesome. It should be required watching for everyone in this thread.

I was cracking up when one described how he rescued Paz by just driving a truck into the base, shooting everyone, dumping her body into the passenger seat. As he was driving to the helipad a tank shot his truck, it caught fire, he jumped out but the truck kept going with paz in it down a hill and he had to run after it to jump on and throw out Paz!

Another guy found the main power generator for the base and shut off the power. Made sneaking so much easier.

They are GUSHING over this game. Says everyone needs to forget the length and just focus on how amazing the gameplay is and how you will want to try to play this a ton of different ways. They say its the best MGS gameplay by far.

Yeah it sounds great. I'm hyped as hell, especially for the story. But am I going to pay $40 for it? Hell no.

Kevtones

I paid $40 for my XBL sub that came with:

Halo 3
Sleeping Dogs
Fable 3
Gears of War
Crackdown
Dead Island
Assassins Creed II
Other freebies to come + DEMOS of every game ever on XBL (many that last 1+ hours)

Yeah it sounds great. I'm hyped as hell, especially for the story. But am I going to pay $40 for it? Hell no.
Exactly.

I love everything I've seen about this, except for the price. The asking price here, and the next-gen tax on top of that is just ridiculous.

jsnepo

Hopefully it's still a graphics comparison. I'd really like to see the gen8 versions. All I know is the current-gen versions will be running at 60fps.

Toparaman

Banned

Damn, sounds great.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
WTF, this just keeps getting worse. 1.5 hrs of gameplay for $40?! Yeah, no way in hell. And I don't really care about the extra gameplay modes, a MGS game is about the main story experience for me (and pretty much everyone else, I'm guessing).

jsnepo

Yup. The different approaches remind me of MGS3 and I love that game. MGS games since 2 often felt like a sandbox games.

WTF, this just keeps getting worse. 1.5 hrs of gameplay for $40?! Yeah, no way in hell. And I don't really care about the extra gameplay modes, a MGS game is about the main story experience for me (and pretty much everyone else, I'm guessing).

The story is always great, but I honestly love MGS games because of all the crazy stuff can do that doesn't have anything to do with story.

For example in MGS2 you could screw around shooting magazines and finding out the hard way that guards will actually notice something wrong, or blasting seagulls at the plant until Rose yells at you, getting pissed on and finding out why sneaking missions are called "wetworks", taking pictures in the bathrooms and being called a creep, taking inappropriate pics of the hostages and being called a pervert, saying "you must be Ames" to EE's parrot enough times for it to start saying "you must be Ames!" back at you, dragging guards around and dropping them off the edge into the ocean, finding Pliskin in the box and shooting at it until it falls apart, kissing the posters, hearing Otacons reaction in the Tanker chapter to all the pics you take, having Otacon call you a monster for shooting Olga after you beat her, the list goes on and on of the stuff you could do in that game, and there's just as much in the other MGS titles. Considering GZ is going to open world, and based on the impressions in the video, it sounds like I'll be spending plenty of time with this game finding all the secrets and finding the best or funniest ways of infiltrating the base.

tl;dr: You're entitled to your opinion and can spend your money however you want, but don't act like MGS fans only play the games for the story, there's a lot more to these games than how long it takes to get to the credits.

Yup. The different approaches remind me of MGS3 and I love that game. MGS games since 2 often felt like a sandbox games.

yup, especially when he talked about throwing guards off the cliff my excitement for this game skyrocketed

Thank you.

This video is great (and GI seems like a cool site, those guys are interesting to listen to), and I am more than happy to spend £28 on this. It looks like there will be multiple ways to complete the game, different approaches and so on. If there is anything like the replayability of MGS4, which I completed 8 times, there will be lots to do.

Thinking of the cost, it seems resonable to me. Going to the cinema for two people with some snacks costs about £25 these days for a couple of hours worth of entertainment.

Alienous

Thank you.

This video is great (and GI seems like a cool site, those guys are interesting to listen to), and I am more than happy to spend £28 on this. It looks like there will be multiple ways to complete the game, different approaches and so on. If there is anything like the replayability of MGS4, which I completed 8 times, there will be lots to do.

Thinking of the cost, it seems resonable to me. Going to the cinema for two people with some snacks costs about £25 these days for a couple of hours worth of entertainment.

I can't conceive of a context wherein that's an apt analogy.

Making comparison images of GZ on each console, but its unexpectedly difficult to tell the difference if we compressed for download.(cont)

Its also hard to tell the difference of frame rate when it becomes streaming. It may b better to download. U can tell clearly when u play it

(Will update as translations are tweeted.)

DieH@rd

Banned
This should have been $20 on all platforms, possibly 5-10 more for retail if they want to pack some bonuses with it.

But as a longtime MGS fan I will get PS4 digital version on day 1 without any reservations. I know that I will play this game a lot and that I will get my money's worth.

tl;dr: You're entitled to your opinion and can spend your money however you want, but don't act like MGS fans only play the games for the story, there's a lot more to these games than how long it takes to get to the credits.

I absolutely agree, and I've spent hundreds of hours replaying MGS games, skipping all the cutscenes and just exploring every environment, trying out new strategies, goofing around with the guards and weapons and gadgets. But the fact remains that MGS games typically have pretty long campaigns, jam-packed with content, even before you start replaying them and really delving into everything they have to offer. They've all been about 15-20 hours for me on my first time through, with replay value on top of that.

I don't doubt that I'm going to play Ground Zeroes multiple times, and it sounds like there's even more freedom to play however I choose than the series has ever offered before. But this is still an extraordinarily bad value proposition, no matter how you slice it. Yes it has replay value, but there's significantly less content to replay. It comes up ludicrously short next to any game you care to compare it to. It's nothing more than a greedy cash grab from Konami.

liquidtmd

Banned
Making comparison images of GZ on each console, but its unexpectedly difficult to tell the difference if we compressed for download.(cont)

Its also hard to tell the difference of frame rate when it becomes streaming. It may b better to download. U can tell clearly when u play it

(Will update as translations are tweeted.)

Stop it Mr Kojima!

(Konami PR reps reach for the gin every time Kojima is logged into Twitter)

marcincz

1,5 h. This is hilarious.
We had prologue before Gran Turismo and now prologue before MGSV. Sorry Kojima. I love MGS, but not this time.
Give me real MGS.

Foffy

Banned
I'll still get this cause I'm a sucker. But what a scam...and some posters were being super defensive of this saying it would be pretty much a full game...

...How? How can you acknowledge this is bullshit and cave? Why can't you wait for a price drop? Like, I think the consensus here is people want the game, but many are saying fuck no at the price it presently is at. Can you do that? You don't have to buy this game, or any game, or anything for that matter, so why not wait till it becomes more objectively reasonable at a lower price? I say objectively because Konami is legit fucking over non-Japanese consumers with this tiered pricing nonsense.

Konami has yet to give one genuine fucking reason why every single Japanese version of the game, regardless of platform, is around $25 USD, but outside of Japan they're bullshitting value based on version and platform. I would love to see how they defend it.

jimi_dini

For example in MGS2 you could screw around shooting magazines and finding out the hard way that guards will actually notice something wrong, or blasting seagulls at the plant until Rose yells at you, getting pissed on and finding out why sneaking missions are called "wetworks", ....

Yeah, that was awesome. And sadly MGS4 had almost none of that. Almost no optional codec calls (in comparison to MGS2+MGS3). MGS3 was crazy on that topic, codec calls on every animal and all other shit. And that was a 9GB DVD. :/

Zep

Banned
The story is always great, but I honestly love MGS games because of all the crazy stuff can do that doesn't have anything to do with story.

For example in MGS2 you could screw around shooting magazines and finding out the hard way that guards will actually notice something wrong, or blasting seagulls at the plant until Rose yells at you, getting pissed on and finding out why sneaking missions are called "wetworks", taking pictures in the bathrooms and being called a creep, taking inappropriate pics of the hostages and being called a pervert, saying "you must be Ames" to EE's parrot enough times for it to start saying "you must be Ames!" back at you, dragging guards around and dropping them off the edge into the ocean, finding Pliskin in the box and shooting at it until it falls apart, kissing the posters, hearing Otacons reaction in the Tanker chapter to all the pics you take, having Otacon call you a monster for shooting Olga after you beat her, the list goes on and on of the stuff you could do in that game, and there's just as much in the other MGS titles. Considering GZ is going to open world, and based on the impressions in the video, it sounds like I'll be spending plenty of time with this game finding all the secrets and finding the best or funniest ways of infiltrating the base.

I'm still not paying $40 for a demo but this post is spot on with why I love the series and hope they bring this to GZ and TPP.

Knight77

Can anybody confirm this?

I got that, between other factors, the release of TPP is linked to how well GZ will do. Even more in relation to the new consoles. So... it's like they are threatening the customers saying "if you want TPP soon you gotta buy this GZ".

Did I get it right?

Marvel

could never
Ah shit, 1.5 hours thought it was longer? I can't keep my pre-order for that no matter how big a fan of MGS I am. I'm going to either wait for it to be included with V or rent it now.

Forkball

To put things in perspective, the free Bravely Default demo with all new content took five to ten hours to complete. The full game costs $40.

rvy

Banned
Can anybody confirm this?

I got that, between other factors, the release of TPP is linked to how well GZ will do. Even more in relation to the new consoles. So... it's like they are threatening the customers saying "if you want TPP soon you gotta buy this GZ".

Did I get it right?

Yeah, but I think the threatening has less to do with them being mean and more to do with lack of resources to make TPP sooner.

Top Bottom