• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Uncovering New Secrets In Abzû (New info + screenshots)

hydruxo

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/abzu/b/playstation4/archive/2016/03/05/exploring-the-mysteries-of-the-deep.aspx?utm_content=buffer9742c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

When I first played Abzû almost a year ago, I was introduced to its concept and acclimated to moving underwater in the general ecosystem that developer Giant Squid had created. Our recent hands-on with the latest build of the game, however, is just as intriguing of an introduction to its aquatic world. The studio has subtly refined parts of the experience to make it more inviting while also deepening the mysteries at its heart.

The first thing that strikes me is how natural it feels to move through the water and among the sea life. I hadn't played the game since E3, but it's easy to simply pick up the controller and swim around. I can now send out a sonar chirp when near fish to attract them and charge up my ability to boost forward while swimming, the capacity for which increases as the game progresses. "We added those mechanics to make players more excited to explore, because that's really the goal," says creator Matt Nava.

The new boost alone isn't what makes me want to explore. The movements of the animals themselves silently beckon. Grabbing on to them and hitching a ride is a simple mechanic that brings a rush of empathy. Their presence is amplified by a little extra visual sheen since I last played the game. Even when tens of thousands of fish converge into a whirling bait ball being torn apart by darting predators, Abzû looks amazing. The bait ball – whereby schools of smaller prey fish instinctively swarm together in a swirling ball to visually confuse predators and provide safety in numbers – is a phenomenon that speaks to the splendor and vibrancy of the world. I can swim within the bait ball but it also moves according to its own rhythm. I'm curious if any gameplay is attached to the ball, but for the moment it's simply an example of the dynamism of the environment.

Despite the vastness of the sea, Abzû is not an open-world game. Instead, it aims to encourage exploration and convey the enormity of the ocean but avoid players getting lost or the need to backtrack. "We want the player to explore a specific area and feel free to do that," Nava says. "Once they finish that area and go on to the next one, then they don't have to think about it anymore. They can keep going forward." The area I just left contained other currents to different locations, but in the end, the developer wants players to experience a linear story.

Even in these early sections of the game, my curiosity about larger events is piqued. I start off floating seemingly lifeless in calm waters, the sky a vista above. It's a different perspective to what I imagine will be a majority of my time spent underwater. Upon diving below it's not long before I encounter architectural remnants of some previous civilization. More than just sunken structures reclaimed by the water, these are arches and columns integrated directly into the coral and sea bed. I even come across carved busts of sharks. Were these meant to be worshiped? I can interact with them, but Nava doesn't reveal their function. In another area I use the drones to clear away sand from a wall of hieroglyphics. Unfortunately, I can't decipher the meaning of the scene.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of my experience with the game, however, is not my questions about who built the structures, but rather my interactions with the sea creatures. Later in the demo I come across a blue whale slowly making its way down into the depths, singing a lonely song. I'm immediately drawn to the impressive mammal, and as I grab onto it we plunge into the alien surroundings.

Later, I'm near the bottom of the ocean, which is an inhospitable environment and home to very specialized species evolved to survive the pressure, temperatures, and thermal vents. The entire level is cast in a murky reddish hue; the frolicking near the placid surface is now a distant world. Down here, Abzû's adventure is just beginning. "There's a lot of secrets we're hiding down there," Nava says. "A lot of things that are going to surprise in the second and third acts."

OceanSurface.jpg

HumpbackWhale.jpg

WhaleShark.jpg

Coral.jpg

More images + info at the link. Sounds like a really interesting game, looking forward to it.

Ganondorfo

This is from the team that made Journey right? Its been a while since I heard of a new game by them. Journey was one of the best games of last gen.

Incredible art style.

No Mans Sky, Abzu, Vane, Rime, so many gorgeous looking games coming out.

EDIT: Oh its the art director of Journey, no wonder.

Zukkoyaki

Played Abzu back at PSX and it also plays extremely well. I was amazed by how simple yet enjoyable just swimming around was. The music was also a treat.

This game should definitely be on everyone's radar.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really excited for this one. Some time ago, I think they gave it a release window of first half of 2016. I wonder how that's looking now.

finalflame

This was one of the unexpected highlights of PSX for me. Saw them on the floor and played ~20 minutes of the game, it's stunning. Can't wait for it to release.

wouwie

I'm on a media blackout for this game so all i want to know is the release date. It's easily one of my most anticipated games this year.

This is from the team that made Journey right? Its been a while since I heard of a new game by them. Journey was one of the best games of last gen.

I believe it has the art director from That Game Company, and maybe one or two other members of staff too.

Ugh, this game. It pulls at all my heart strings with just how beautiful it is.

Is this third party? I forgot.

Yeah, I believe Sony has it as a timed exclusive but it has a different publisher and I expect it'll go to other platforms eventually.

Edit - really looking forward to this though, and I can't wait for word of release. I want more games about exploring the ocean!

epmode

I think I have a thing for underwater exploration games. Definitely watching this one.

Which reminds me: PLAY SUBNAUTICA, GAF

DrZeus

This an Astroneer are my most intriguing games coming out in 2016. Sea/space exploration is so fascinating.

dukie85

Between this, No Man's Sky, The Witness, and Firewatch, there's some truly beautiful games out there (or coming up). I've wanted this ever since I first saw it

Enjoyed my time with this game at PSX last year. It was just serenely chill and definitely felt like Journey, but underwater.

Swimming along the kelp forests and the seabed in search of my little underwater probes was fun as I spent a lot of time just admiring the artstyle of the game.

Top Bottom