• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Guessable Cover: Elders Scrolls Online [Move to details thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they completely abandon the Gamebyro engine, keep working on a new engine for at least 4 years, iron out the bugs/glitches and what not, I can see this releasing in 2018. But to be serious I applaud this kind of approach as long as they keep giving us singleplayer only Elder Scrolls as well, and at least get a decent engineering staff that can release a game on launch without needing dozens of patches to make it playable.

Ploid 3.0

I sense a Sims Online situation here. Their single player game is popular and they are thinking they can use that popularity for transitioning into MMORPG where wow is losing it's steam. Huge benefit if they become WOW popular but that's such a slim chance. They have to have a interesting world, and combat system. The Elder Scrolls games are interesting but mainly because it's a sandbox.

Concept17

This is going to be the jankiest MMO launch ever.

Yeah. They have more issues than most devs when it comes to their SINGLEPLAYER games. Tack on all the multiplayer issues, it'll be hell.

Interested to see what its like, but certainly won't day one.

TCRS

Banned
Whole of Tamriel? So I guess they'll downsize the provinces? I can't imagine a Skyrim the size of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Tamriel + a couple of other provinces in one game. That'd be fanatstic and freaking huge! But I doubt it.

Artadius

So.

Elder Scrolls games = Generally buggy messes upon release.

MMOs = Generally buggy messes upon release.

Elder Scrolls MMO = ???

EQyEu.gif

jorgeton

Damn. One two punch of GAF being back and this unveiled. Cautiously excited.
monthly fees will prob. kill my interest..

PC and Mac only? Interest killed.

kenssi

Being a huge fan of the series, I might try it but I'm really suspicious about how Elder Scrolls works as a MMO.

Bento

Really hope they keep their expectations in check on this one. The mmo market isn't what it used to be and it would be very unfortunate if Zenimax/Bethesda found themselves in sticky situation because of this project.

RPGCrazied

This won't be F2P, seriously guys. It might be buy to play, like guild wars. But I suspect it'll have a monthly fee. I wonder how long it'll last. MMO's these days don't last very long before they go F2P.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah. They have more issues than most devs when it comes to their SINGLEPLAYER games. Tack on all the multiplayer issues, it'll be hell.

Interested to see what its like, but certainly won't day one.
They? This isn't Bethesda developing it, it's Zenimax Online. Two completely separate developers that have no more in common than Bethesda and id Software does.

Einhander

Not interested in this. I don't have faith that they'll be able to pull off a successful MMO, even with Elder Scrolls being the IP.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm not too keen on this. One of the great things about the other games was the solitary experience and seeing your choices shape the world. I'm not sure if I'm gonna enjoy exploring lost ruins or chasing after thieves when hundreds of other players are doing the same quests and actions. Plus, the setting doesn't really distinguish itself from other high fantasy MMO games.

It's just the name that sets it apart.

A massive open world with tons of stuff to explore? Sounds like an MMO can capture that well enough.

Exploration in an MMO is entirely different though, simply because of the number of people running around fucking around. Unless they go the Guild Wars route and instance it all to hell (which why then make an MMO) you'll never have that experience of stumbling onto some long forgotten ruin and feeling like you are the first one to have set foot in there.

It'll be part of a step by step walk through on WoWHead telling you where to go and what to kill. Making an MMO of Elder Scrolls completely ROBS the experience of being able to explore just by being adding more than one "hero" to the world.

Tucah

you speak so well
Very curious to hear more about this - it has to have been in development for a while, we've been hearing rumors of ESO for years now. I'm mostly curious to how it's going to play - Skyrim with multiplayer and I'm there day one.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I almost definitely won't play this, but I'm very curious to see where they'll take it.

Also, Elsweyr is the best name of anything ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom