• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Guessable Cover: Elders Scrolls Online [Move to details thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

If they completely abandon the Gamebyro engine, keep working on a new engine for at least 4 years, iron out the bugs/glitches and what not, I can see this releasing in 2018. But to be serious I applaud this kind of approach as long as they keep giving us singleplayer only Elder Scrolls as well, and at least get a decent engineering staff that can release a game on launch without needing dozens of patches to make it playable.

Based on Zenimax Online wiki, sounds like they'll be using HeroEngine unless something has changed.

Levyne

Banned
Let's wait to hear some info before we assume whether it will be like or dislike other MMOs. Maybe it will be heavily instanced like guild Wars 1, you can partner up with companions, only now they are players.

That would be pretty cool.

Daffy-Duck-masturbating.jpg

Whole of Tamriel? So I guess they'll downsize the provinces? I can't imagine a Skyrim the size of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Tamriel + a couple of other provinces in one game. That'd be fanatstic and freaking huge! But I doubt it.

You have to realize that this MMO probably will not release soon. I can see this game being in development for at least well into 2014, with some huge beta's in between. By the time this is done our new home consoles will have to be dusted.

alphaNoid

Banned
I will not get interested in this game until I know what game engine its running. It better be some hybrid of IDTech5 and not Creation or Gamebryo

Fjordson

Not really interested in this personally, but it makes sense. Will probably be pretty huge.

I just hope this doesn't mean the death of single player Elder Scrolls =[

goodfella

Absolutely nuts.

I wonder how much they will have to change the gameplay to make it an MMO.

Will it retain the levelling system?

Whole of Tamriel? So I guess they'll downsize the provinces? I can't imagine a Skyrim the size of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Tamriel + a couple of other provinces in one game. That'd be fanatstic and freaking huge! But I doubt it.

off course not noob. Nickel and dime expansion pack

Wondering how this will look. Hopefully they show gameplay at E3. I mean, I'm interested but only if it keeps the same open world, loot everywhere gameplay. That's what I love about Bethesda's open world RPGs. I don't want a game focused on instances and percentaged loot drops... I despise that.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm sceptical if it has monthly fee... if it is F2P, great. Regardless, i will follow news about this with interest.

scarybore

buggiest MMO of all time?

Get hit by a giant in Skyrim, land in Morrowind?

Either way, mark me down as curious but if it's the same type of MMO that I've been playing for the last 10 years but with an Elder Scrolls skin then I'll pass.

Cromat

I hope MMO doesn't mean subscription...

Once there's a paid subscription involved you play because you have to and you can't just play casually because you're wasting money. It's like a gym subscription except instead of getting fit you get fat.

Elginer

No information on how it plays at all, people saying they won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Fh3ro.gif

That gif gets me every damn time. Also why the hell does this need to be an MMO? Elder Scrolls is all about the massive single player world not being a hero and meeting jerkasses who just want to troll you. BAH!

Also not down with paying a monthly fee. I'll just stick to Skyrim and mods thanks.

The Verge says just Cyrodiil
A massively multiplayer online origin game based in the Elder Scrolls universe was unveiled today by Bethesda and ZeniMax Online Studios over on Game Informer and in a press release.

The Elder Scrolls Online will be the first Elder Scrolls game that allows players to explore the fantasy world with others. The Elder Scrolls Online, featured on the upcoming magazine's June cover, will include three playable factions and takes place a millennium before Skyrim. Due out next year on both PC and Mac, the game will have players fighting against the daedric prince Molag Bal who is trying to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

"We have been working hard to create an online world in which players will be able to experience the epic Elder Scrolls universe with their friends, something fans have long said they wanted," said Matt Firor, game director of The Elder Scrolls Online, in a prepared statement. "It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years. The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made - and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

Firor has spent the last two decades working in online game development, including Mythic's Dark Age of Camelot.

The game's solo questing, public dungeons and player-driven PvP will all be detailed in 12 pages of content in the upcoming June issue of Game Informer, set to hit stands and subscriber mailboxes this month. PvP, the mag reports, pits the game's three factions against one another in open-world warfare "over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself."

We can also expect to hear much more about the upcoming massively multiplayer online game at E3 and Quakecon 2012, most likely.
http://http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/3/2996417/elder-scrolls-online-mmo-details

Nibel

Although I can't wait to see those crazy reviews which will be written with every possible superlative on earth and embarassing journalists dancing with game boxes like it's their wedding..

No thanks.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hope it crashes and burns so they go back to keeping it single player. This MMO crap cost us a KOTOR3 and now will probably cost us alot of time till the next real Elder Scrolls game. I hate it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

I bet it will be isometric perspective.

Darklord

Banned
No information on how it plays at all, people saying they won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Unless it's a massive advancement in the genre, it won't play well. TOR was the most expensive MMO ever and it turned out pretty shit. It needs to break away from WoW completely which is unlikely.

Jb

After seeing what happened to ToR, I really didn't think they would go that route. Also, are they gonna keep putting out single player Elder Scrolls games after this is out? Unless this is a prequel I'm having a hard time seeing how this will work.

But hey, GI was right, I certainly didn't expect this.

TheExodu5

Banned
I applaud that. There has not been an engine more terrible then the Gamebyro engine.

GameBryo is a pretty decent engine. Rift, Civ IV, Catherine, Defense Grid, among others, have put it to good use. Skyrim also looks pretty great overall...the biggest thing holding it back visually are the art assets. The engine does not to it any disservice whatsoever.

Rift, as an example (forgive the compression):
rift8.jpg

theBishop

Banned
Please Please Please Please Include Gamepad Support.

Make this a comfy couch MMO and I'll hand over many thousands of green people from history times!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
well they have to have expansions so i didnt really expect all of the provinces to be out at the same time.

also, with them doing the game 1000 years in the past, it makes it seem like they might still do singleplayer sequels to skyrim et al

Ketch

Where is all this information coming from? Who said no console version? Why is it automatically an MMO? I know Beth has garnered some bad blood with the PS3 tech issues, but they've generally done an amazing job with the ES series... if there's actually more information out there then please share the source.

My prediction:
What if it's just ES with Co-op and competitive modes? 3 player co-op (saying 3 because Strength, Willpower, Endurance), meet up in town, accept co-op dungeon crawling quest.. epic battles, sharing loot, coop dialog trees. OR meet up in town, sign up for coliseum, wager gold, fight other player characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom