• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Goodstyle

Perpetual reminder that this is literally a filler scene they had to create because the episode came up short.

That's so crazy. The scene is so good as it happens, and even better in hindsight since you know Cersei will have Robert killed the next day. This plays sort of like a last attempt at trying to reach out to him, but he still remains committed to Lyanna, to the idea that he can never be fulfilled without her. At that point Cersei's like "Yep, fuck him."

Screen_Shot_2017-08-17_at_5.05.52_PM.png

Love this image. Artist said he's gonna do a Queen card for Dany/Cersei as well.

Goddamn, that's quality.

That entire scene is amazing, from all three ladies. I was happy they let Indira flex her acting muscles since otherwise she was just wasted on a mediocre character.

Speaking of great actresses, even though she's been gone for awhile, I still miss Michelle Fairley's (Catelyn) presence in the show. :(

I still can't forget her scream.

Lmao

you've missed the whole point of GoT, literally gotten it 100% backwards / wrong.
If I missed the point then I wouldn't have understood anything, but I've kept up with discussion with everyone. on gaf and in real life...

edit: by the way, with the way you say it, you make it sound like such an ultimate misconception "missed the whole point, literally 100% wrong"

well if you really think that, then I don't think you have it 100% either, and you have no way to prove it. Maybe no one has it 100% since people talk about it and have different opinions on everything about it.
GRRM has said about a million times, the ending will be the OPPOSITE of LOTR, in that it won't just be "ding dong the orcs are dead, the good guys won, all is well".
that's not what I read. where did he say it'll be the opposite? every where I read he said it'll be like LOTR.
We all yearn for happy endings in a sense. Myself, I'm attracted to the bittersweet ending. People ask me how Game of Thrones is gonna end, and I'm not gonna tell them ... but I always say to expect something bittersweet in the end, like [J.R.R. Tolkien]. I think Tolkien did this brilliantly. I didn't understand that when I was a kid — when I read Return of the King.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/george-r-r-martin-northwestern-talk.html

and here's another
"I've said before that the tone of the ending that I'm going for is bittersweet. I mean, it's no secret that Tolkien has been a huge influence on me, and I love the way he ended Lord of the Rings. It ends with a victory, but it's a bittersweet victory...All I can say is that's the kind of tone I will be aiming for. Whether I achieve if or not, that will be up to people like you and my readers to judge."
http://time.com/3994289/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-song-of-fire-and-ice-ending/

That does not sound like "OPPOSITE of LOTR" at all. So, this really makes me think that you don't know what you're talking about.

Mikef2000

Fuck me. Just had an asshole friend of mine post a minor spoiler screenshot of the finale in a chat group.

Even though it's minor, I 'm still pissed. I'm thinking of going in a full internet blackout until sunday.

There was nothing bittersweet in LOTR. The good guys won at everything and everyone lived. A warrior became king and it's implied that for whatever reason, he's going to be the bestest king evers!!11 Even Martin has mentioned that which I agree with, he'd be doing the same shit Tolkien did on its final act. It's not about boring guys winning, but in general everyone all of the sudden becoming bffs and everything just working out goes against the entire series.
The movies had a pretty happy ending but the books were way more bittersweet.

This show has never been about punishing good guys to the max, why do (a few) people say shit like this?
...because the good guys get punished to the max...

I don't know about the few people you're talking about, but it's not like I ever insinuated that that's all there is to game of thrones.
The series has consistently destroyed good, bad and very morally gray without mercy. It doesn't choose sides like most fantasy series. Jon being saved 30 times like the memes that were showing us for 3-4 pages on gaf is part of the shit show that I don't really want to be a theme for the last 7 eps.
The villains in this show are victorious way more often than the average tale about good versus bad, and whatever moral grey area you can throw into it.
The worst of GoT is FARRR better than an average WD episode. And even some of the better ones. Sad truth
Why does it have to be sad? The truth is the truth. Thrones is better than the Walking dead.

Speely

Banned
Fuck me. Just had an asshole friend of mine post a minor spoiler screenshot of the finale in a chat group.

Even though it's minor, I 'm still pissed. I'm thinking of going in a full internet blackout until sunday.

Might be a good idea to make GAF your only internet till then, to be safe. No need to go full blackout, though I suppose some asshole could account suicide tomorrow.

Nameless

Gleeson was always on point as well. All his scenes were fantastic.

Yeah King's Landing used to be a murderers row of incredible talent who carried the show early on.

Since we're talking about Cersei and how great she is, what's the best scene? I'd say this one one goes unchallenged.
L0ekA72.gif

There

Are

So

Many

I

Can't

Choose

I have a "best scene" for every season, and I still say my picks are super debatable too.

Power is Power

Cersei & Cat

Schooling Ned

You are a Lion my son, you mustn't be afraid

Motherly advice for Sansa

Everywhere in the world they hurt little girls

Feels good.

So many more.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Its from the promo right? Dont tell me it leaked again.

Rixxan

That was really good. I didn't remember how many damn people talk about him going through the breach with his fire sword. What battle is that they are talking about? I assume one that happened prior to the show?

Yes, battle at Pyke during Roberts Rebellion iirc

Edit: Actually the Greyjoy rebellion iirc

That was really good. I didn't remember how many damn people talk about him going through the breach with his fire sword. What battle is that they are talking about? I assume one that happened prior to the show?

Yeah, the Greyjoy Rebellion.
Jorah remembers it fondly since he was right with Thoros as they charged through.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Speaking of Dany and Jon, did any of you guys read what one of the directors revealed at a promotional event or something?

It's actually a bit of a spoiler so I'm a little pissed the director would admit this at an event.

I won't say what it is, so just a head's up because it's floating out there for those who do want to read it and also don't want to read it too I guess lol. Because I'm sure it'll pop up on tweets and google searches and stuff for those who are ultra ultra picky about spoilers.

It's not a huge thing.

That Jon+Dany theme is so amazing.
nah the theme is pretty average for this show.
Speaking of Dany and Jon, did any of you guys read what one of the directors revealed at a promotional event or something?

It's actually a bit of a spoiler so I'm a little pissed the director would admit this at an event.

I won't say what it is, so just a head's up because it's floating out there for those who do want to read it and also don't want to read it too I guess lol. Because I'm sure it'll pop up on tweets and google searches and stuff for those who are ultra ultra picky about spoilers.

It's not a huge thing.
it can't be a bit of a spoiler, and not a huge thing at the same time bruh...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

There are minor spoilers and big spoilers. This one was a minor one. For example, if someone revealed weeks ago Viserion died, that would be a huge spoiler. If someone revealed something weeks ago like "Gendry's primary weapon of choice is a warhammer" that is a minor spoiler.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

It's not a huge thing.

The Deadline article?

I'm listening to the mix that was linked earlier that someone combined all three themes, and I love it.

There are minor spoilers and big spoilers. This one was a minor one. For example, if someone revealed weeks ago Viserion died, that would be a huge spoiler. If someone revealed something weeks ago like "Gendry's primary weapon of choice is a warhammer" that is a minor spoiler.
ok I see what you're saying. so what you read is a spoiler along the lines of that.

Speely

Banned
Weird development: I am very hesistant to speculate now since so much has been leaked. I used to love throwing out theories, but now I am afraid that one of them will line up with a leak.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Weird development: I am very hesistant to speculate now since so much has been leaked. I used to love throwing out theories, but now I am afraid that one of them will line up with a leak.

I'm reading a lot less speculation unless I know they're regulars. This whole Bran/Night King thing is starting to feel like it's a spoiler, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being true.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Deadline article?

I'm listening to the mix that was linked earlier that someone combined all three themes, and I love it.

It was on avclub.com via esquire mag.

ok I see what you're saying. so what you read is a spoiler along the lines of that.

Due to the sensitivity of people with spoilers I won't comment any further due to hints. I honestly don't even think people would care if I mentioned it, but out of respect I'm staying on the safe side. You guys can google it if you want.

It's an interview with the director after the episode aired. One particular answer centered around stuff the author told him about when he did work on season 1.
oh, that's what he's talkin about...
Due to the sensitivity of people with spoilers I won't comment any further due to hints. I honestly don't even think people would care if I mentioned it, but out of respect I'm staying on the safe side. You guys can google it if you want.
that's the right thing

edit: sorry for double post

I too have that fear of being labled a leaker so I keep my speculation in spoilertags.

My biggie but probably not likely is
Jon is indeed Robert's son

I don't want to read anyone calling me out if it's real because then you're spoiling me and everyone else.

But facts that debunk it are fine, which happened with my last share.

Meh. I still say throw out predictions and such. It's part of the fun. Unfortunately, we just have to trust this is a good place and people won't be assholes about reading leaks and posting as "predictions." At this point though, it would be hard for even those people to know what is real or not.

I'm trying to get back on my happy horse, but I lost a chunk of faith with GAF after the last episode leaked. Lots of members posting "predictions" that nailed the episode on the head. I went ahead and watched the episode early, so they were sticking out like sore thumbs after-the-fact. I started emailing some of their posts to myself just so I could keep track and remember who was saying what. Just...a shame. I'd like to give benefit of the doubt and say some were just really good at figuring shit out, but I don't know.

Bah. I'll get over it. It was a small few.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm reading a lot less speculation unless I know they're regulars. This whole Bran/Night King thing is starting to feel like it's a spoiler, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being true.

It's so dumb if it does turn out to be true, I think people are better off being mentally prepared ahead of time on how to handle the absolute ridiculousness of it tbh.

duckroll

you've missed the whole point of GoT, literally gotten it 100% backwards / wrong.

GRRM has said about a million times, the ending will be the OPPOSITE of LOTR, in that it won't just be "ding dong the orcs are dead, the good guys won, all is well".

How does it feel to have been owned so hard by The Artisan of all people?

Heshinsi

It was on avclub.com via esquire mag.

Hmm, that's totally not the article I'm talking about. Your link reads like fans answering questions or commenting on speculations. The Deadline article is a series of questions and answers with the director of the last episode.

Edit: We are totally not talking about the same thing it seems lol.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Hmm, that's totally not the article I'm talking about. Your link reads like fans answering questions or commenting on speculations. The Deadline article is a series of questions and answers with the director of the last episode.

Edit: We are totally not talking about the same thing it seems lol.

Ah, you googled it?

Do you think I was right in not mentioning it here?

It's so dumb if it does turn out to be true, I think people are better off being mentally prepared ahead of time on how to handle the absolute ridiculousness of it tbh.

If that ridiculous theory turns out to be true I'd lose it.
Like the evidence for that theory is "Look mate, their noses are similar" lmao.

I refuse to believe something like that will happen.

Heshinsi

Ah, you googled it?

Do you think I was right in not mentioning it here?

No I haven't googled it. Just what's in your link isn't what I was referring to. Your link just had fan questions, I thought you were talking about the interview with Taylor.

f0nz0

Ramsey said it best... " If you think this has a happy ending.. you haven't been paying attention"

Broken Hearts until the cold bitter end.

Top Bottom