• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Kingslayer
Cousinslayer
Queen of Thorns Slayer
Queenslayer
Crown Prince Slayer
Night King Slayer

Let him collect the full set.

He was almost Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons slayer.

redfox088

Banned
He was almost Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons slayer.
I fully expect wheel breaker to Join the ranks with maybe a little " Azor Ahai" mixed in
Edit- and forgot Stormborn

The real question is whether anyone other than the Night King will pick up the coveted Dragonslayer achievement.

Those world boss killing blows are hard to snag.

Goodstyle

There's a disturbing overlap between Arya Stark stans, Bernie Bros and Trumpkins.

pMsxq2R.gif

Imagine thinking Arya is better than Sansa. Can't relate!
Of course Arya "Most Girls Are Stupid" Stark is popular among that crowd. She's a male fantasy on how a "bad ass chick" is supposed to be. She's the cool girl that rejects femininity and dumb things like knitting and instead does "epic" things like stabbing guts and slitting throats.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The series is going to end with everyone dead besides Jaime cause he slayed them all. Final shot is Jaime on the throne like,

"How's that for my ledger Joffrey, you little shit?!"

Of course Arya "Most Girls Are Stupid" Stark is popular among that crowd. She's a male fantasy on how a "bad ass chick" is supposed to be. She's the cool girl that rejects femininity and dumb things like knitting and instead does "epic" things like stabbing guts and slitting throats.

Come on, are you being serious?
Equating Arya fans with those crowds was dumb enough but I understand it may be a "joke".
But seriously..

I want to see a Jaime and Bran reunion.

Jaime and Bran (or Jon) would be interesting reunions.
But I'm more interested in what Bran would say to Jaime now that he's the 3ER, surely he remembers his fall now.

Best woman character was Olena Tyrell. Margary was cool too

Goodstyle

Come on, are you being serious?
Equating Arya fans with those crowds was dumb enough but I understand it may be a "joke".
But seriously..

I'm not saying all Arya fans are scummy misogynists, the vast majority aren't. I am saying there are troubling traits to her character that widely appeal to misogynists.

Heshinsi

I'm still annoyed we never got to see what Margaery's plan was when tricking the High Sparrow.

What with both Robb and Margaery having what seems like good plans in motion, only to be killed in such sudden fashion. It seems to me that you're better served if you want to survive in the long run, to just have Tyrion make all your plans for you. They're so stupid, they've got no choice but to let you live through them. No one is going to be shocked if you lose/die following one of his ideas. The moment Tyrion's plans start coming together, is the moment you know you're living on borrowed time.

I'm not saying all Arya fans are scummy misogynists, the vast majority aren't. I am saying there are troubling traits to her character that widely appeal to misogynists.

What if I like her due to her culinary skills? Walder Frey thought her pies were great all the way up to the part where she told him how she made it.

Arya strikes me as the type of character that a dude would create to say "hey look, I have strong female characters"

You see this as a problem with people who misintepret feminism. Take parents who refuse to get gendered toys for their kid. Guess which type of toyss are labelled as gendered? Girl toys.

As a society I I think the issue isn't so much that there's gendered traits. I think the issue is being trapped or limited to obeying those traits. With regards to Game of Thrones, there are plenty of female characters that I think are strong female characters that align with traditional female traits. We need to stop thinking of those traits as being weak or lesser than male traits.

Nameless

Cersei is easily the best woman, and probably the best character on the show, period.

m8b5x2l.gif

And to go a step further...scene for scene, episode for episode, no one is touching Lena's performance. She's been nothing short of incredible the entire run of the show.

Cersei is easily the best woman, and probably the best character on the show, period.

m8b5x2l.gif

And to go a step further...scene for scene, episode for episode, no one is touching Lena's performance. She's been nothing short of incredible the entire run of the show.

Lena Heady did a great job... but she's no Charles Dance

Goodstyle

Margery the Meretricious and Olenna, the Queen of leading her House to extinction. They were certainly interesting characters in their own right, but the most enjoyable thing about them were their roles as obstacles for Cersei. Her complete destruction of House Tyrell was deeply enjoyable and a long time coming.

m8b5x2l.gif

This. There is no other character who's arc compares or who's as consistently well acted.

Heshinsi

m8b5x2l.gif

This is where by tradition I'd tell you to you're wrong and that a certain someone is better. But you're fucking right. Cersei is consistently exciting to watch from the beginning of this series all the way to the very last episode she was in. I hated Dany being in Meereen. Fuck Meereen lol. Can't say I've disliked Cersei scenes in any season.

Off the record, I kinda enjoyed what she did at the Sept (except for Marg, why couldn't they let you escape?), and when it got to Septa Unella, I was on the bleachers cheering.

Nameless

This is where by tradition I'd tell you to you're wrong and that a certain someone is better. But you're fucking right. Cersei is consistently exciting to watch from the beginning of this series all the way to the very last episode she was in. I hated Dany being in Meereen. Fuck Meereen lol. Can't say I've disliked Cersei scenes in any season.

Off the record, I kinda enjoyed what she did at the Sept, and when it got to Septa Ullena, I was on the bleachers cheering.

I'm getting this post tattooed on the left side of my chest, Heshinsi

Vashetti

Banned

Off the record, I kinda enjoyed what she did at the Sept (except for Marg, why couldn't they let you escape?), and when it got to Septa Unella, I was on the bleachers cheering.

How do you know she didn't?

Show me the body.

Goodstyle

What if I like her due to her culinary skills? Walder Frey thought her pies were great all the way up to the part where she told him how she made it.

Lol, how could I forget such an important detail. That scene was some of the best comedy the show's ever done. In fact, every Walder Frey scene has been comedic gold, was sad to see him go, but I understood the necessity. The fact that his death was as funny/gruesome as his character was pitch perfect.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Since we're talking about Cersei and how great she is, what's the best scene? I'd say this one one goes unchallenged.
L0ekA72.gif

Vashetti

Banned
Since we're talking about Cersei and how great she is, what's the best scene? I'd say this one one goes unchallenged.
L0ekA72.gif

Nah, when she's captured by the Sparrows is the best. She's 'beaten' the Tyrells and permits the High Sparrow to give her a history lesson. She doesn't really care but she'll listen and be polite. Then the conversation turns.

Watch her eyes dart to Lancel as he walks in and sudden realisation dawns on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcE2xao2IU

No idea how/if you can embed instagram pictures, but I'll just leave this here regardless...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSqkK-IgiLV/?taken-by=liamcunningham1

The one true king.

Nah, when she's captured by the Sparrows is the best. She's 'beaten' the Tyrells and permits the High Sparrow to give her a history lesson. She doesn't really care but she'll listen and be polite. Then the conversation turns.

Watch her eyes dart to Lancel as he walks in and sudden realisation dawns on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcE2xao2IU

Yo this scene was amazing. Damnit, gonna have to rewatch as soon as S7's finished.

Volimar

L0ekA72.gif

The one in the cell with Elaria. You can see how hurt she is. She sells it so well that you're on her side as she commits this horrible act.

Heshinsi

I'm getting this post tattooed on the left side of my chest, Heshinsi

If only the Stark sisters can look at us as inspiration and put their differences aside :)

Your mood on Monday when the boss drones on about this week's targets

1uoiwp.gif

Your mood on Friday when you realise the work week is over

giphy.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh yeah, the Ellaria one from episode 3 was also fantastic.
Perpetual reminder that this is literally a filler scene they had to create because the episode came up short.

Where do they talk about this? Blu-ray commentary? I had never heard that before.

Oh yeah, the Ellaria one from episode 3 was also fantastic.

Where do they talk about this? Blu-ray commentary? I had never heard that before.

When she said "Why did you do that?" to Ellaria, it hit me.
She let some of that vulnerability out before she regained her composure.
Lena's bloody amazing.

Vashetti

Banned

It might be on a commentary, not sure. But it's not a rumour or anything, it's directly confirmed.

Happened with several Season 1 episodes, they came up short but had next to no budget left. So they created cheap scenes, with 2-3 people just talking in one room to fill time.

Atlantis

When she said "Why did you do that?" to Ellaria, it hit me.
She let some of that vulnerability out before she regained her composure.
Lena's bloody amazing.

That entire scene is amazing, from all three ladies. I was happy they let Indira flex her acting muscles since otherwise she was just wasted on a mediocre character.

Speaking of great actresses, even though she's been gone for awhile, I still miss Michelle Fairley's (Catelyn) presence in the show. :(

Top Bottom