• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Yes but I believe everything will change when Varys is all like

giphy.gif

and reveals that she ain't even pregnant!!

Varys?

I wonder what the twist will be this finale. im excited but nervous at the same time! Something is bound to happen!!

I think the wild card is EURON ... what would euron do? lol

Hydrus

People really expect Jamie to kill Cersei? There's no way, he loves her way too much, even if he knows that shes an evil psycho.

Yes. I have a feeling she's gonna have someone kill him for betraying her, then before he dies, he'll stab her in the back. Either that,or euron kills Cersei then he kills euron.

there's a ton of plot points to cover, still. the whole of Westeros still needs to learn r+l=j, there'll probably a ripple effect of that for an episode or 2.

The ending is supposed to LOTR-style bittersweet, you know. This series being different is what got me into it too but if it bores you that the good guys are starting to prevail then that's just something I can't level with you on. I'd hate to watch this show continue to be cynical and punishing the good characters to the max - especially since we're all the way at the end.

There was nothing bittersweet in LOTR. The good guys won at everything and everyone lived. A warrior became king and it's implied that for whatever reason, he's going to be the bestest king evers!!11 Even Martin has mentioned that which I agree with, he'd be doing the same shit Tolkien did on its final act. It's not about boring guys winning, but in general everyone all of the sudden becoming bffs and everything just working out goes against the entire series.

This show has never been about punishing good guys to the max, why do (a few) people say shit like this? The series has consistently destroyed good, bad and very morally gray without mercy. It doesn't choose sides like most fantasy series. Jon being saved 30 times like the memes that were showing us for 3-4 pages on gaf is part of the shit show that I don't really want to be a theme for the last 7 eps.

The ending is supposed to LOTR-style bittersweet, you know.

you've missed the whole point of GoT, literally gotten it 100% backwards / wrong.

GRRM has said about a million times, the ending will be the OPPOSITE of LOTR, in that it won't just be "ding dong the orcs are dead, the good guys won, all is well".

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
People really expect Jamie to kill Cersei? There's no way, he loves her way too much, even if he knows that shes an evil psycho.

Jamie's hands tightened around Cersei's thin, frail neck, tears blurring his vision."The things I do for love," he sobbed redemptively.

"How...can ...gold... hand... strangle..." gasped Cersei, bitchily.

you've missed the whole point of GoT, literally gotten it 100% backwards / wrong.

GRRM has said about a million times, the ending will be the OPPOSITE of LOTR, in that it won't just be "ding dong the orcs are dead, the good guys won, all is well".

I still don't understand how the fuck anyone can call LOTR ending bittersweet? The ending was so good everyone was pillow fighting each other in bed from how happy they were.

It's great how little screen time Thoros had but how much he was liked. Tons of great lines by a great actor.

Yep, enjoyed his time in the show. Great actor and character.

Lol, this is cute.

Not really though. The ending makes a point to show that not everyone can go back to being "normal" and happy.

That scene when
they were at the pub and it just wasn't the same
is one of my favourite scenes in the 3rd one.

Elandyll

Banned
With the ominous warning she gave him to never ever betray her again, I almost feel that we might see the opposite.

Kingslayerslayer?

Elandyll

Banned
I still don't understand how the fuck anyone can call LOTR ending bittersweet? The ending was so good everyone was pillow fighting each other in bed from how happy they were.
Shire torched, Frodo forever damaged and unable to relate to any of his kind, exiling himself, and the elves leaving the world of men, alongside magic.

The ending is definitely a big win for the good guys, but there are indeed elements that are bittersweet.

-griffy-

Banned
Wasn't that the case with just a few of them? I think two of the hobbits really suffered, I don't remember anyone else

I mean, that's what makes it bittersweet.
Essentially the main character (Frodo) is so depressed and changed by what he went through that he literally leaves the world and travels to heaven, along with Gandalf, Bilbo and the entire race of elves. Also, if you aren't looking at just the movies, in the books the good guys win and beat Sauron, then the hobbits come home to find that the Shire was completely fucked up and their friends enslaved and stuff while they were gone, and they have to fight back against all that. It's not just a case of the good guys win and that's the end.

I mean, that's what makes it bittersweet.
Essentially the main character (Frodo) is so depressed and changed by what he went through that he literally leaves the world and travels to heaven, along with Gandalf, Bilbo and the entire race of elves. Also, if you aren't looking at just the movies, in the books the good guys win and beat Sauron, then the hobbits come home to find that the Shire was completely fucked up and their friends enslaved and stuff while they were gone, and they have to fight back against all that. It's not just a case of the good guys win and that's the end.

Yeah I don't remember it all, I remembered most being happy and Frodo being angry. Was
the shire destroyed in the movies? I don't remember this.
I was just basing it off the movies, I haven't read the books yet

eizarus

Banned
I just caught up to episode 6 (haven't read the discussion going on here just yet) and does anyone else think that the difference in quality in the writing is jarring compared to GRR Martin's stuff. It's still a good show, but it really feels like it's went down a notch.

Having said that, I found the books too tiresome to finish, but always thought they translated them really well to the small screen

Yeah I don't remember it all, I remembered most being happy and Frodo being angry. Was
the shire destroyed in the movies? I don't remember this.
I was just basing it off the movies, I haven't read the books yet

Not gonna spoiler tag it but while it wasn't destroyed, the War of the Ring didn't really end until the Battle of Bywater. Remember what Saruman had done to Isengard? He was basically doing the same in the Shire. After his defeat, the mercs/bandits that ran that operation basically took control (with the help of some of Frodo's relatives) and when Frodo & Co. got back to the Shire, they rallied the hobbits to fight and take back the Shire.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Speaking of music, I love how they use the Faceless Men theme for Arya now.

you mean the waif

also another clue: When killing the frey's she tells the girl "Tell them winter has come for house frey" which is nonsensical. Winter is coming isn't intended to be a threat to others, but more of an internal threat... an awareness of environment.

I've been addicted to this track for a few days now, it's stellar. The way it swells up near the end... amazing. It's really one of my favorite GoT tracks. Ramin keeps delivering this deep into into the series.

He does, this series has had some absolutely incredible music. But I think this season so far has been a little weak. The music is all great, but everything has been a rendition of previous titles, nothing completely new that I'm aware of. Hopefully the finale will change that though.

I feel like the wildcard in the season finale will be Euron. While Cersei may be willing to call a truce with Danerys, this would not benefit Euron. I think he'll initate an attack, setting off a battle for Kings Landing. Divide and Conquer. Chaos is a Ladder.

I mean, Euron's a default wildcard because they have no time to develop him and probably no plans to follow any of his development from the books.

At the same time, I almost feel like you can't do all that much with him because no one's really jumping to care about a guy who basically got shat out into the story right at the end.

I mean, Euron's a default wildcard because they have no time to develop him and probably no plans to follow any of his development from the books.

At the same time, I almost feel like you can't do all that much with him because no one's really jumping to care about a guy who basically got shat out into the story right at the end.

There's enough time to salvage him. He became way more likeable this season to viewers by being all crazy.

Doomsayer

So what's all the evidence that's supporting the Arya = Waif theory?

There is absolutely none. Just a bunch of nonsense.

Basically the waif killed Arya, took her face and is now carrying out her bidding because reasons. She also knows everyone from Arya's past and how to navigate the catacombs in Winterfell.

-griffy-

Banned
He does, this series has had some absolutely incredible music. But I think this season so far has been a little weak. The music is all great, but everything has been a rendition of previous titles, nothing completely new that I'm aware of. Hopefully the finale will change that though.

The scene where Jon and Dany went into the dragonglass cave had a new theme, don't know if it's a dragonglass theme or a Jon/Dany theme. Also Jon touching Drogon, I believe. And there was a lot of new stuff during the loot train attack, including the Dothraki got kind of a kickass battle theme.

There's enough time to salvage him. He became way more likeable this season to viewers by being all crazy.

There's enough time to do basically anything with any character if they want to lean into it hard enough, but I really don't think they do.

Honestly it seems like he's just there to maybe give Jaime a chance to actually fight someone for realsies for the first time since losing his hand, or maybe on a longshot to set up an actual Theon redemption arc.

Either way, he pretty clearly just seems to be a strawman for someone to knock over, and not even one of the key players, at that.

There is absolutely none. Just a bunch of nonsense.

Basically the waif killed Arya, took her face and is now carrying out her bidding because reasons. She also knows everyone from Arya's past and how to navigate the catacombs in Winterfell.

And her motivation would be? Who knows, so make it a theory!

televator

Maybe next season Arya's needle breaks and she needs to find a smith to fix it and it just so happens that Jon returns with Gendry. Gendry fixes it, free of charge, and engraves a charming phrase on the hilt. Then they go on a date to Hotpie's Diner, and they see Brienne and Tormund sitting in another table. They all have fun doing Karaoke night.

Top Bottom