• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

There's enough time to do basically anything with any character if they want to lean into it hard enough, but I really don't think they do.

Honestly it seems like he's just there to maybe give Jaime a chance to actually fight someone for realsies for the first time since losing his hand, or maybe on a longshot to set up an actual Theon redemption arc.

Either way, he pretty clearly just seems to be a strawman for someone to knock over, and not even one of the key players, at that.

It'll be sad if that's the case. Euron might die in the finale, all for naught.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
you mean the waif

also another clue: When killing the frey's she tells the girl "Tell them winter has come for house frey" which is nonsensical. Winter is coming isn't intended to be a threat to others, but more of an internal threat... an awareness of environment.
This post is nonsensical. An internal threat and awareness of environment? What?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So what's all the evidence that's supporting the Arya = Waif theory?

-the scene of death not being shown
-the conversation between Arya and Jaqen after that death makes no sense. My assumption is the face on the wall is Lady Crane's. Why would Jaqen say "Finally, a girl is No One" when she's standing right there, with Arya Stark's sword? She's still someone. Unless it was the waif, where she is finally no one, pretending to be Arya Stark.
-Arya walking out of the Hall of Faces perfectly fine when she was badly injured.
-Arya killing people on her list is something she cannot do as a faceless man. The Waif can, however. Faceless men cannot kill for desire.
-Nymeria not recognizing Arya/being confused/ not going with Arya
-The mangling of the Stark motto "Winter is coming" when it's not a threat to others, only themselves.
-The conversation with Hot Pie. She was being a supreme dick the whole time when she was buddy buddy before. Didn't connect big woman to Brienne.
-The conversation with the Lannister guards, she says "It's not bad, is it?" in reference to King's Landing when she's been there before and already knows what it's like.
-The conversation with the winterfell guards when she says "Which Lady Stark?" which is something she would know the answer to right away. There were no other stark girls outside of Arya and Sansa and Bran/Rickon/Benjen are in no way going to be marrying anyone due to injury, age, taking the black.
-The conversation with Sansa/Bran where she doesn't reveal who is remaining on her list of names. The Waif knows Cersei, The Mountain, Walder Frey were on the list. She does not know the list contained Ilyn Payne, Mellisandre, Thoros and Beric.
-Information about the past is kind of hazy. Every time it comes to it, she has so far avoided giving specifics and the times she has... she's been half wrong. That conversation with Sansa she misstated what Sansa was doing... and also misstated where she was. She wasn't in the crowd near the statue, she was on the base of the statue, above the crowd.

It's all small shit which can be from faded memory... or there can be more to it.

Motivation, however, is hard to know. We do know the faceless men do assassinate people for money... but don't kill for desire. We do know the faceless men worship the many faced God, the same source of Bran's power, the children of the forest and the white walkers. I am fairly sure if that was Arya Stark leaving the House of Black and White, she would have been assassinated very quickly.

It just all stinks.

This post is nonsensical. An internal threat and awareness of environment? What?

Winter Is coming means that they need to stand guard and be ready. That's why it's a threat to themselves and an awareness of the world changing before them.

Winter is coming isn't a threat to other houses from the Starks.

We're so close to the weekend, ladies

47Rv1Fq.gif

Elandyll

Banned
I feel like the wildcard in the season finale will be Euron. While Cersei may be willing to call a truce with Danerys, this would not benefit Euron. I think he'll initate an attack, setting off a battle for Kings Landing. Divide and Conquer. Chaos is a Ladder.
A good twist for his sendoff (what's the use of an Ironborn with a fleet vs the WW?), given how he has been portrayed as near omnipotent so far, would be for him to be getting owned like a punk.

Like, by Theon, during the Yara rescue or something like that.

A Tywin ending if you will.

The scene where Jon and Dany went into the dragonglass cave had a new theme, don't know if it's a dragonglass theme or a Jon/Dany theme. Also Jon touching Drogon, I believe. And there was a lot of new stuff during the loot train attack, including the Dothraki got kind of a kickass battle theme.

The Dragon glass cave reminds me a bit of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szU8yORcJnI but it's not I guess, good call, great bit of new music.

Jon touching Drogon is a rendition of Dany's theme though.

Dothraki is a rendition of similar themes we've heard for them throughout the series and it quickly mixes into yet another rendition of Dany's theme.

labx

Banned
This is going to happen: Cersi's baby is from douche Euron. Somehow she finds out and she ask the Qyburn for help. She has a "miscarriage" and makes Jaime to feel guilt about it because she is an evil bitch, bla bla bla.... Jaime full of guilt and anger is going to kill his brother because Cersi command him. His brother, Tyrion knows whats up, so he kills Cersi, while Jaime is killing him.

Cersi, Jaime and Tyrion plot: DONE.

post script: Meanwhile the Lord of Light, resurrect the Sand Snakes so they can do something in the show for the sake of it.

Majmun

Talking about the sand snakes..

Oh man, it's been probably months after Ellaria and her daughter got jailed. Tyene's corpse must look horrible now. :(

I mean, giving Cersei an opportunity to remind people she's actually a real bad bitch is the only useful thing the Sand Snakes or Ellaria have ever done, so at least they went out not being as completely and embarrassingly useless to the narrative as they had been up to that point.

Way to go, Ellaria. I can only imagine your stupid country is embroiled in their own thoroughly stupid civil war because of your phenomenally stupid behavior. At least you wrangled a scene of Cersei kissing a girl out of it, though.

Non-book readers shouldn't really care about him.

What's that got to do with it?
Areo Hotah teased that he'd use his axe in S5, gets stabbed like a chump in S6.

I hate that that rendition of it can only be heard there though. The only you link is different, great, but different.

Ygritte and Jon's theme. is another one of my favorites.

Love that one too.

Especially since he kind of shit talked Jaime.

Either want him to show how bad ass he is or get his ass humbled in a fight.

Yeah, shame about that. Tyene's getting her just desserts anyway.

This is going to happen: Cersi's baby is from douche Euron. Somehow she finds out and she ask the Qyburn for help. She has a "miscarriage" and makes Jaime to feel guilt about it because she is an evil bitch, bla bla bla.... Jaime full of guilt and anger is going to kill his brother because Cersi command him. His brother, Tyrion knows whats up, so he kills Cersi, while Jaime is killing him.

Cersi, Jaime and Tyrion plot: DONE.

post script: Meanwhile the Lord of Light, resurrect the Sand Snakes so they can do something in the show for the sake of it.

This actually sounds legit...the rest is pure fan fiction. Wait..this whole season is kind of like fan fiction..so you might be on to something here.

Except the Sand Snakes, no one cares about the Sand Snakes, not even the Lord of Light

Majmun

What's that got to do with it?
Areo Hotah teased that he'd use his axe in S5, gets stabbed like a chump in S6.

Love that one too.

I thought he was interesting in the books. Having his own chapters and all. But he's no major deal in the show.

At least, that's how I experienced it.

Maybe during one of the big Army of the Dead CG battles they'll have a cameo by the Zombie Snakes looking dumb and getting their asses beat. That's fan service I can get behind.

Motivation, however, is hard to know. We do know the faceless men do assassinate people for money... but don't kill for desire. We do know the faceless men worship the many faced God, the same source of Bran's power, the children of the forest and the white walkers. I am fairly sure if that was Arya Stark leaving the House of Black and White, she would have been assassinated very quickly.

There is no really convincing reason why the Waif would go to all this trouble, it's like a 9/11 conspiracy at this point, why is it worth it to her or the faceless men to not only pretend to be Arya but also go down a very personal revenge list?

Then we come to the other problem, Bran... he either doesn't know or does know and is playing along, but both require a pretty complicated answer.

Just from a narrative/arc perspective, what does it add to the show and the various relationships to have the Waif replace Arya? Ned's death worked on multiple levels past the shock value, as did the Red Wedding, but what good is it killing and replacing Arya with the barely fleshed out Waif with so few episodes to adequately explain or explore this complicated new wrinkle?

I just don't see it.

neoemonk

Maybe next season Arya's needle breaks and she needs to find a smith to fix it and it just so happens that Jon returns with Gendry. Gendry fixes it, free of charge, and engraves a charming phrase on the hilt. Then they go on a date to Hotpie's Diner, and they see Brienne and Tormund sitting in another table. They all have fun doing Karaoke night.

The writing on this show has really gone to shit.

labx

Banned
This actually sounds legit...the rest is pure fan fiction. Wait..this whole season is kind of like fan fiction..so you might be on to something here.

Except the Sand Snakes, no one cares about the Sand Snakes, not even the Lord of Light

You know they are THOUSANDS of us that care about the Sand Snakes.

Sephzilla

In a season where Jon Snow led a small team into the North to confront the goddamn White Walkers, Sansa is still running away with the dumbest character of the season award

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, you guys don't like this show very much anymore huh? I'm still really enjoy it, so I guess I'll just show myself out...

televator

For some reason until now I didn't notice that he looks a lot like Darth Maul
New Theory, the Knight King will use a double ice speer

Are you serious? lol I instantly though he looked like Maul. Especially because his whole costume casts a very similar silhouette.

Wow, you guys don't like this show very much anymore huh? I'm still really enjoy it, so I guess I'll just show myself out...

Being (overly) critical of things makes people feel good about themselves.

I think many of the criticisms are valid, but I honestly give zero fucks because this is like the movie theatre popcorn version of game of thrones and I fookin loves me some movie theatre popcorn.

Top Bottom