• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They must not have a big war episode for next season. I think we will see a short sequence of Dany quickly taking over King's Landing and then the rest of the season will be mostly political stuff b/w Jon and Dany trying to form an alliance while fending off Euron and Littlefinger's armies...... with the white walkers making an appearance or two beyond the wall.

Season 8 is when they will attack and cross the wall and take over Winterfell, Riverrun, Iron Islands and King's Landing one by one. He can direct those episodes. ;p

No Sapochnik and Bender is a huge let down but I'm not writing off the Season yet. I think they will see what worked so well this year and really focus on delivering similar levels of quality. Also keep in mind the budget per episode will be up from previous Seasons and honestly I think the freedom of them not having to directly follow whatever is in the books helped them this season it seems.

I don't know episodes 9 and 10 just left us in such a positive place in terms of plot and storyline I'm feeling really optimistic about Season 7.

Tenck

fucking LAMMMMMMMMMMMME
must have spend all hbos money on the last two eps...

FeelsBadMan

Id rather them just wait awhile long and just have one more season of 15 eps... a 7-8 ep season is fucking MEH and should ZERO fucking filter episodes..
:/

5-6 episodes aint no fucking "season"

soo lamee

They've been saying this for a while. HBO asked for 20 episodes, but D&D said no. It's not about budget.

What I'm worried is that they don't have any other directors who have done big scale battles besides Sapochnik and Neil Marshall, and Marshall isn't coming back and even if he was, Blackwater Bay doesn't hold a candle to Hardhome or Battle of the Bastards.

Maybe I'm just being hopeful but I imagine next season is going to need a lot of directors who can direct big bigs well.

Marshall did Watchers on the Wall though as well which while I wouldn't put at the level of Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards it was still incredible. That had some amazing shots in that battle and is just below them.

The lack of either Sapochnik or Marshall though does make me wonder about the scale of war we are going to see in Season 7

Vire

Marshall did Watchers on the Wall though as well which while I wouldn't put at the level of Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards it was still incredible. That had some amazing shots in that battle and is just below them.

The lack of either Sapochnik or Marshall though does make me wonder about the scale of war we are going to see in Season 7
Marshall also did The Lion and the Rose if I'm not mistaken also, which was amazingly shot.

I just don't think they got the right people...

CoolOff

fewer.gif

tumblr_no5zl5VOIE1suijfxo3_500.gif

Marshall also did The Lion and the Rose if I'm not mistaken also, which was amazingly shot.

I just don't think they got the right people...

Yeah it's a tad worrying. The people responsible for a lot of the best episodes of the show aren't coming on for 7.

Once I looked back and realized Marshall wasn't on the list either was when I really started wondering if we are gonna get any huge battles. The directors responsible for Blackwater, The battle vs The Wildlings at The Wall, Hardhome, and Battle of the Bastards aren't on board. That's like every major battle.

I can only think either A) We aren't going to get a huge war scene or B) some of the other directors who have done a chunk of episodes have asked to get a chance to do a major battle. I'm hoping B is the answer

Am I on the minority of people who prefered both Battle at Blackwater, Watchers on th Wall, over Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards?

Am I on the minority of people who prefered both Battle at Blackwater, Watchers on th Wall, over Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards?
Battle at Blackwater I've never cared for. However, I'm 100% with you on Watchers on the Wall. In the end, it's like comparing t-bone steak and lobster---they're both amazing. But Watchers on the Wall is still my favorite episode of Game of Thrones.

Battle at Blackwater I've never cared for. However, I'm 100% with you on Watchers on the Wall. In the end, it's like comparing t-bone steak and lobster---they're both amazing. But Watchers on the Wall is still my favorite episode of Game of Thrones.

Blackwater was the weakest battle IMO but had the best character moments. Cersei, Tyrion and The Hound make it my favorite one to watch.

I don't think it's wrong to consider Watchers on the Wall the best. I place it just under those other 2 but just barely. Either way all 3 are insane battles and I could see someone placing them in any order.

Blackwater I think is for sure the weakest but if you prefer it nothing wrong with that :)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Jon & Sansa will go from :D to D: in a matter of seconds of seeing Bran.

"What's that on your arm Bran, and why is it suddenly glowing?"

What if....

Jon becomes the night king.

Maybe the reason the night king hasn't come, is that he needs a vessel, and Jon, having been resurrected, might serve some specific requirements.

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it would be a typical "i think i've figured it out now.. Wait WHAT!?" game of thrones twist.

I hope it doesn't happen though. Jon is awesome.

Straight out of Pirate's of the Caribbean. Jon is now Orlando Bloom lol.

The White Walker plot arc seems straight down the middle of the road to me at this point (not in a bad way, mind you), in that the specifics have been outlined. Children of the Forest created the Night King and the White Walkers as a means of fighting man. They're essentially a super weapon out of control. Either the Children of the Forest or men of the old world built the wall and imbued it with magics (maybe related to the Red Priestesses) to keep the Night King out. But it was never a guarantee.

I dunno. Wall goes down, Night King comes through, kills stuff. I find the back story revelation a bit dull and boring to be honest.

Why are the White Walkers coming now though? Thousands of years have passed since they were last defeated, so what has caused them to suddenly return?

Do we know if he was killed though in the first white walker war? Maybe he just retreaded and it's still the same one.

Makes perfect sense, hopefully they will

In the lore videos it mentions
that the Nights King was a Lord Commander who turned evil. So after the Wall was built.
Yeah Cersei is fucked, but I don't care. She's among my favorite fictional characters ever and last episode's victory was one of the greatest moments of sheer triumph I've ever seen a screen. It will sustain me forever, no matter what happens with her character going forward, you can't take that away.

Jon's moment and the way it transitioned from the Toj is up there too, I teared up a little in fact, but in terms of pure shit eating satisfaction nothing compares to Cersei. Nothing! May she wreck as much of Dany's forces as possible on her way out.

Here I was thinking we were starting to become friends ol. It does seem like you do have a type though...evil :p

Yeah. I've been wondering the same. Also aren't they actually married?

Their interactions were cute, even if those lasted 2 minutes.

Also we are forgetting something. The commoners from KL aren't going to be happy now that their beloved Margaery and the whole Sept was blown.

Look back at that coronation scene. Those people were absolutely terrified. Fear and dread have a way of keeping people in line. Notice how between the people and Cersei there are lines of soldiers in formation.

I wonder if it's possible that the Seven Kingdoms get overrun entirely and the survivors flee across the sea back to Mereen and make their stand there.

Also, Old Nan mentions that the first time around the war lasted for generations. I don't see how the White Walkers are defeated in 6 episodes. I think all those "boring" Mereen scenes are going to pay off in the end.

Blackwater was the weakest battle IMO but had the best character moments. Cersei, Tyrion and The Hound make it my favorite one to watch.
I honestly can't remember much of it other than I felt like there were too many scenes/shots that looked cheap in the fight. Like...I didn't feel like if we zoomed out I'd be seeing anything but an empty set or crew standing around or something. I don't know...it's been too long, but that was my lasting impression. I really want to go back and re-watch all the show at this point.

Volimar

The battle between Stannis and the Boltons was the worst, coupled with the fact that it ushered in offscreenpalooza with important events.

-griffy-

Banned
Remember that before Sapochnik directed Hardhome, no one assumed he would be good at big battle scenes. Also, dude directed episodes of Extant, True Detective season 2 and Under the Dome. Trying to use the filmography of TV directors to determine what they're capable of if given the opportunity is kind of a fruitless endeavor.

Alan Taylor was the easy favorite director from seasons 1 and 2. Say what you will about his attempts in Hollywood, he's got experience doing big action and managing productions on a large scale that he is bringing back to Thrones.

Mylod and Podeswa have done good things on the show. Pointing to a single scene you don't like in one of their episodes is unfair to everything else they've done.

Matt Shakman has worked on several of the most critically acclaimed TV series of all time. That should probably be generating some kind of excitement. P.S. He directed "Charlie Work," that amazing long take episode of It's Always Sunny from last season.

No Sapochnik for season 7 is a bummer as he's clearly talented and a good fit for the show, but that one guy being gone isn't gonna suddenly negate the rest of the crew that works on every episode, and absolutely doesn't mean season 7 is doomed or anything absurd like that. It's not as if we are stuck with Uwe Bolls working on this shit.

Remember that before Sapochnik directed Hardhome, no one assumed he would be good at big battle scenes. Also, dude directed episodes of Extant, True Detective season 2 and Under the Dome. Trying to use the filmography of TV directors to determine what they're capable of if given the opportunity is kind of a fruitless endeavor.

Alan Taylor was the easy favorite director from seasons 1 and 2. Say what you will about his attempts in Hollywood, he's got experience doing big action and managing productions on a large scale that he is bringing back to Thrones.

Mylod and Podeswa have done good things on the show. Pointing to a single scene you don't like in one of their episodes is unfair to everything else they've done.

Matt Shakman has worked on several of the most critically acclaimed TV series of all time. That should probably be generating some kind of excitement.

No Sapochnik for season 7 is a bummer as he's clearly talented and a good fit for the show, but that one guy being gone isn't gonna suddenly negate the rest of the crew that works on every episode, and absolutely doesn't mean season 7 is doomed or anything absurd like that. It's not as if we are stuck with Uwe Bolls working on this shit.

Yeah like I said above I also honestly wonder if some of the directors that have worked on the show have asked HBO to get a chance at a big battle that haven't yet. Marshall and Sapochnik have both already gotten the opportunity to do 2 huge ones each.

Fully expecting a Rhaegar flashback next season.

If we don't get a Rhaegar flashback, most of the TV viewers will never fully understand who he is.

Agreed we will get one as a ton of people are confused. For people who knew about the R+L=J theory it made perfect sense but a lot of people just watch the show week to week and don't read fan theories or anything.

My in-laws are those types and they were completely lost on the reveal

Back when Ned was extremely adamant on leaving Dany alone when Robert wanted her assassinated it was far more than just his morals at work.

She was one of Jon's few remaining relatives.

Vire

Agreed we will get one as a ton of people are confused. For people who knew about the R+L=J theory it made perfect sense but a lot of people just watch the show week to week and don't read fan theories or anything.

My in-laws are those types and they were completely lost on the reveal
I could totally see not understanding the father connection, but they didn't get Lyanna was Jon Snow's mother and that he wasn't actually a bastard? That's just not paying attention...

Volimar

He's still a bastard.

Back when Ned was extremely adamant on leaving Dany alone when Robert wanted her assassinated it was far more than just his morals at work.

She was one of Jon's few remaining relatives.

I think it had more to do with trying to talk robert down from his "kill all targs" bloodlust in case he found out about Jon some day.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
He's still a bastard.

I think it had more to do with trying to talk robert down from his "kill all targs" bloodlust in case he found out about Jon some day.

He does it twice though. Once before they get KL while taking a lunch break, and the second time he told Robert to stuff it and rage quit his position.

I could totally see not understanding the father connection, but they didn't get Lyanna was Jon Snow's mother and that he wasn't actually a bastard? That's just not paying attention...

No they got that but they just had zero clue who the dad was and thought it was a weird reveal because it "didn't answer anything" because it's still Jon with just 1 parent

But he's still a bastard...
Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna got married during the rebellion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom