• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Omg soo hyped for Sunday

GXKN3xV.gif

hoos30

I really need to get to the bottom of what the fuck happened between Ep01 leading into Ep09/10, because the overall direction, cinematography, score, performances, etc are just so much fucking better and more adherent to high level cinematic standards it's just utterly bewildering how a difference exists in the first place. Both Ep09/10 have such a stricter cohesion between all facets of the cinematic medium to bring performances, framing, score, and narrative together. It's out-of-this-world good compared to an overwhelming majority of the entire fucking series.

I can't put it down to just talent, because these guys and gals have worked on other episodes before. Time? Luck? Budget? Maybe just a perfect storm of all the right pieces coming together. Because man, few if any episodes across all sixty come together with such completion as those last two.

I'd put these two eps on top of any pair of eps from any series ever. It was really the Hollywood movie of the year split in two.

Meowster

I'm happy that Theon and Yara got a good change to their storyline this season. I'm excited to see where the two of them end up.

Tonky

Best looking male/female, and the edgier "worst" looking male/female in the show.

Best looking

Male: Jaime Lannister
Female: Missandei

Worst looking

Male:
Meryn Traunt
Female:
Fat Walda

EDIT - Spoiler'd "worst looking" to not offend anyone

Loxley

I'd put these two eps on top of any pair of eps from any series ever. It was really the Hollywood movie of the year split in two.

I'm just thrilled that the show's budget has gotten so big that they actually have the money to finally show a huge, epic battle like the Battle of the Bastards. In the past they've gotten close but clearly had to cut corners because they simply didn't have the money for it. Granted we're not quite at, say, Helms Deep or Pelennor Fields scale, but it's a significant step up from previous seasons.

I can't wait to see what final conflicts the show has in store before it ends.

Jzero

Finally caugh up and finished. This is the most spoilered show in history, fuck.

Last episode was fucking savage though

BTM

I'm just thrilled that the show's budget has gotten so big that they actually have the money to finally show a huge, epic battle like the Battle of the Bastards. In the past they've gotten close but clearly had to cut corners because they simply didn't have the money for it. Granted we're not quite at, say, Helms Deep or Pelennor Fields scale, but it's a significant step up from previous seasons.

I can't wait to see what final conflicts the show has in store before it ends.

30 million budget for each episode of the final season

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I was watching the episode again with my sister and when the Daario scene came up and you find out that it was indeed Tyrion who suggested it, she pipes up with, "oh he did that so they can't do to Dany what they did to him!"

Me: Huh? what do you mean "what they did to him"?

Her: With Shae! They used his lover against him.

Me:
F_pI1B.gif

I don't know why I didn't make the connection at all before.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
I was watching the episode again with my sister and when the Daario scene came up and you find out that it was indeed Tyrion who suggested it, she pipes up with, "oh he did that so they can't do to Dany what they did to him!"

Me:
F_pI1B.gif

I don't think that's what the writers intended. I mean there are several differences between the two situations.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Me:
F_pI1B.gif

Wow. I ... did not make that connection but that is 100% spot on. Well done, sis.

Speevy

Banned
That's actually a really interesting theory. Sometimes D and D do write something clever. My guess is that they did that one by accident.

Jonm1010

Banned
So why would Tyrion state that "he would have been a liability in the Seven Kingdoms"? Why would he have been a liability?

I think its a fairly reasonable assumption on the sisters part.

Never thought about it but it makes a ton of sense. Knowing the character it is probably more complex then that but it makes sense that it is a component.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Daario is an everything problem. So the decision works if taken as face value, and it works given the theory above too. It works on all fronts.

Dany is not invincible (plot armour aside), and she does not have a force to effortlessly take Westeros. I think this needs to be remembered, as it's been drilled in over and over. She has an exceptionally powerful army, but even three dragons are not a win button when she's facing an entire continent of divided, unstable houses with their own armies in a political climate she is not familiar with. Dany can't win just by killing everyone. If she is going to rule, she needs to win over the common people, the house names, and the armies. She's looking for conquest and stability in her ruleship, and that is not going to come easy.

In that respect Daario is a total liability. He prevents her from using marriage as a political tool, which she realises she might have to do (this was touched on in season five). He is an emotional weight in her decision making (though less so as we now discover she doesn't really care). And if they have a legitimate bond, he instantly becomes a high value target strategically for the opposition (Tyrion and co already will be too).

Taking Daario as her lover to Westeros basically limits her political influence and exposes her. As a warrior he has great value, but outside of that he is a liability.

royalan

Why would the conqueror with the largest army, the largest naval fleet, and three huge (and will likely be even bigger the next we see them) dragons concern herself with needing to be available for marriage? She's coming to take back her throne and burn all who stand in her way.

I didn't believe her when she said that. Seemed more for Daario's sake.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why would the conqueror with the largest army, the largest naval fleet, and three huge (and will likely be even bigger the next we see them) dragons concern herself with needing to be available for marriage? She's coming to take back her throne and burn all who stand in her way.

There's slavers in Westeros? Dany is being counselled by Tyrion. She's already mentioned she wants to do this with as little bloodshed as possible. Plus leaving Daario in Mereen is Tyrion's plan. She has Dorne, The Reach, and 2/3rd of the Greyjoys. A marriage pact with one more major house, and she seriously reduces the amount of fighting she has to do. It makes sense.

Yeah I didn't understand it either. She doesn't need anyone but herself (name) and her forces to legitimize her rule. A compromise with the seven kingdoms in the form of marriage goes against the whole 'I'm going to take back the throne and burn any who oppose me' thing she's got going. Why would she care about sharing her victory with any of the houses she's against? Etc

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

It'd be dumb of her to not try and join families down the line.

televator

Because it's a useful tool to have in your box when you're trying to unite 7 kingdoms. Also, she said herself that she didn't feel anything for Daario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom