• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones: Spoiler reaction to Season 3 - Episode NINE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudkips

Banned
There's " in your face " story telling and " in your face " graphic violence.

They could have shown the massacre begin, and close doors, or shown arya under a table seeing the body fall one after the others, or so many other things.

It's just the " cutting throat with blood everywhere in full frame and full frontal four times in 30s " that I found a bit too much. Especially the last one, between the 10s pause and the sudden cut to the credits ...

They could have ruined the scene, yes. I'm glad they didn't.

wastewater

Neo Member
Just seen it, i can't even..

WOW. My brother said it was the best episode yet, i went in with those expectations and it still completely blew me away in those last ten minutes. Oona's death got me, the stabbing was shocking but her death, with Rob kneeling over her as she slipped away :( and then the rest? Probably the best t.v i've seen, definately the most intense.

PolishQ

Also, for book readers, how does the show's version play out differently than the book? Feel free to spoiler tag it, or pm or whatever.

In addition to what others have reported, Caitlin goes a little crazy and claws her face up before the Freys slit her throat.

Enkidu

My reaction was kind of muted because I knew something big was going to happen thanks to this very thread. No, I didn't read it, but when suddenly there's a reaction thread on the front page you kind of know something big is going down. Was there a separate thread for when Ned was killed too? I can't remember but it kind of seems pointless to have one when there already are two general Game of Thrones threads.

Ithil

There's " in your face " story telling and " in your face " graphic violence.

They could have shown the massacre begin, and close doors, or shown arya under a table seeing the body fall one after the others, or so many other things.

It's just the " cutting throat with blood everywhere in full frame and full frontal four times in 30s " that I found a bit too much. Especially the last one, between the 10s pause and the sudden cut to the credits ...

And that would have had nearly no impact at all.

Danielsan

As someone who has read the first three books years ago, I somehow had completely forgotten about this scene. Such a brutal and amazing moment. For the most part very well executed as well. I think I'll start rereading the first three books and then finally push myself to read A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons. I know they don't live up to the amazing quality of the first three books, but it's about time to get through them before the show catches up.

Bloodsent

Having read the books I was looking forward to seeing the Red Wedding executed, but as it started to unfold I found my blood pressure and heart rate go through the roof, and I started to feel like I couldn't breathe.

I can't imagine how non-readers feel, as when I read it the first time I almost didn't understand what was going on until it was over. When you are watching it unfold it is in your face. I reread it and was shocked for a good 10 minutes. Didn't pick the book back up for another few days out of anger.

All I can say to those that are non-readers, it is worth sticking with it.

Having read the books I was looking forward to seeing the Red Wedding executed, but as it started to unfold I found my blood pressure and heart rate go through the roof, and I started to feel like I couldn't breathe.

I can't imagine how non-readers feel, as when I read it the first time I almost didn't understand what was going on until it was over. When you are watching it unfold it is in your face. I reread it and was shocked for a good 10 minutes. Didn't pick the book back up for another few days out of anger.

All I can say to those that are non-readers, it is worth sticking with it.

Yeah I knew Robb died at some point and just assumed it was here, my heart was pounding the entire episode and it reached a fever pitch once Blackfish went up to piss.

Fisico

Also, for book readers, how does the show's version play out differently than the book? Feel free to spoiler tag it, or pm or whatever.

I think no one mentionned it so far (I could be wrong) bu there's also the fact that
before the wedding Robb's wolf was like FUCKING mad and that's why they had to lock him in this shitty box.
And since the beginning the plot was always saying they should trust their wolves, it was clearly a big hint in the book, too bad they didn't use it there

Timbuktu

Just seen it, i can't even..

WOW. My brother said it was the best episode yet, i went in with those expectations and it still completely blew me away in those last ten minutes. Oona's death got me, the stabbing was shocking but her death, with Rob kneeling over her as she slipped away :( and then the rest? Probably the best t.v i've seen, definately the most intense.

I think some of the deaths in The Wire have had more impact on me emotionally, but i guess i knew this was coming. Te blood squirting made it less serious and sombre for me actually, trying a bit too hard. I would say blackwater was a better episode.

The lack of wolves does take away from the series. In the books they were always there to remind you that these aren't just scenes lifted from british history.

Randdalf

Just seen it, not as good as I thought it was going to be. One thing they didn't communicate very well is that the Freys actually kill a large number of Stark men. I also felt a bit of the impact was lost because of the absence of a number of minor characters who are also murdered and/or captured, but hey, that's the limitation of television. In summary, it felt a bit like a budget Red Wedding, though they did it justice in the broad strokes.

Eidan

Just seen it, not as good as I thought it was going to be. One thing they didn't communicate very well is that the Freys actually kill a large number of Stark men. I also felt a bit of the impact was lost because of the absence of a number of minor characters who are also murdered and/or captured, but hey, that's the limitation of television. In summary, it felt a bit like a budget Red Wedding, though they did it justice in the broad strokes.

I think it was very clear that Robb's men were killed.

just saw it, holy fucking shit!

As a non book reader i swear i thought Rob was gonna make it and become king eventually and revive the stark name, fuck fuck FUCK FUCK! WE was one of my fav's too :(

And CAT died so fuckiing tragically, jesus christ!!

ANd stabbing a pregant woman in the stomach on some marvel vs capcom shit multiple times good god this shit is so fucked up lmao.

O lord....o lordd:(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
One major problem with splitting the 3rd book into two seasons as they're doing is that the story's going to end where it was never intended to. Troll as he may be, Martin never intended this to be a stopping point.

I really would encourage show watchers to give the books a try after the finale next week, least up to the third book. Try the audio books, they're excellent if you don't have time for reading.

And I made this special for last night.

i8NPs6Btkhljr.gif

Cromat

Brutal. When I read this part in the book I had to re-read the same page 10 times to understand what was actually happening. I completely missed whatever ominous signs were in the books, I was just waiting for the glorious reunion between Arya and her family :(

To make things worse, in the book it also seems like Arya is dead for a while. The show was nice enough to spare that from the viewers.

Randdalf

I think it was very clear that Robb's men were killed.

Yeah but they murdered a small bunch of drunk soldiers at a table, I'm talking more in terms of scale here. In any case, (episode 10)
I think they'll show more about the immediate aftermath outside the Twins in the next episode

3N16MA

Banned
Robb let his little head think for him when his big head was doing a good job. He was weak like most of the Stark's. They should all just stop fighting and accept Targaryen rule.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've read the books. I saw this thread and knew exactly what it was going to be about. I dont know exactly how it plays out in the show, but for me, I can say that at the end of the chapter, I threw the book down out of disgust and anger and went and laid down in bed for about 5 minutes digesting what had just happened. lol

Fox1304

This is true, but Game of thrones has always joined "in your face" story telling with "in your face" violence, gore, sex, whatever the situation is. This was no different. In fact it would have been out of place if they went soft with a scene like this.

I have absolutely no problem with the serie's violence, wether graphic or not.

Several times they have shown scenes violent but not without purpose.
I just felt that this scene, after the 2 or 3 violent kills shown, went a bit on the other side of " good graphic violence " to become " graphic violenceto shock the audience ".
For me it took a lot of the impact of the events unfolding ( that I absolutely agree, HAD to have some graphic impact and violence ) just to get that "wow" effect they were trying to reach.
After having watched the ending a second time, i think they should have stopped at Robb's violent death, and ease up with Frey's wife and Cat's deaths on the graphic side. It felt too much, violence just for violence.
We already had a shocking graphic moment with Robb's potential child's stabbing, some powerful emotion with Robb and Cat's short exchange, and some despair with Cat and Arya.
For me, they ruined all that with that Horror-movie-like double throat cutting.

Bloodsent

I just felt that this scene, after the 2 or 3 violent kills shown, went a bit on the other side of " good graphic violence " to become " graphic violenceto shock the audience ".
For me it took a lot of the impact of the events unfolding ( that I absolutely agree, HAD to have some graphic impact and violence ) just to get that "wow" effect they were trying to reach.
After having watches the ending a second time, i think they should have stoppes at Robb's violent death, and ease up with Frey's wife and Cat's deaths on the graphic side. It felt too much, violence just for violence.
We already had a shocking graphic moment with Robb's potential child's stabbing, some powerful emotion with Robb and Cat's short exchange, and some despair with Cat and Arya.

It was true to the events of the book though, Cat gets her throat slit, just after she kills Frey's wife.

DBT85

Does George R R Martin just hate the Starks or what?

He hates predictability. After Ned gets shortened by a foot and Robb takes up the fight you EXPECT him to avenge his father, he is the good guy after all.

But this is the Game of Thrones. You win, or you die.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He hates predictability. After Ned gets shortened by a foot and Robb takes up the fight you EXPECT him to avenge his father, he is the good guy after all.

But this is the Game of Thrones. You win, or you die.

The method of the death surprised me in the books, but Robb dying did not. I think the show improved on the books by making Robb a main character. While he was important in the books, he was never a main character in the narrative.

Fox1304

It was true to the events of the book though, Cat gets her throat slit, just after she kills Frey's wife.

Haven't read the books but yep, no prob about that. It's just the execution that was poor. Fixed camera. Throat cut. Blood splurting. 10s pause. Throat cut 2, return of the splurting blood. Cut. Credits. Felt very low grade.

Haven't read the books but yep, no prob about that. It's just the execution that was poor. Fixed camera. Throat cut. Blood splurting. 10s pause. Throat cut 2, return of the splurting blood. Cut. Credits. Felt very low grade.

On the first watch it was kind of shocking and really matched up with the whole "welp, that just happened". On my re-watch though it didn't have the same impact, I'm assuming since book readers knew it was coming it wasn't as shocking or, for lack of a better word, cathartic. The silent credits also helped sell the tone.

Joe

Me reading the books:

Red wedding - oh my god.
Next chapter - OH MY GOD ARYA IS DEAD TOO. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I was literally numb after that. GRRM trolled me good with Arya.

Spoiler tagging stuff that happens up to and before the point of this very thread is silly but people are super sensitive.

Having spoiled myself with the books I could barely manage to watch this episode. I basically had to fast forward through a lot of it because it was so terrible. That being said, when they finally slit cat's throat, I almost laughed a bit. It seemed almost random.

I wonder why it seemed random....hmmm.

Me reading the books:

Red wedding - oh my god.

You do realize a majority of the people in this thread haven't read the book right?

Seanspeed

Banned
And I made this special for last night.

i8NPs6Btkhljr.gif
hahahahaha omg

Perfectly describes how I felt reading it. "Its going to be ok. His wolf will come and save him. Maybe the Hound comes and gets em. Something's gotta happen..................right?............................................right?....................................................no.......................................noooooooooooooo.......................................

I have not read book 2. I have not seen episode 9. I should NOT have read this thread.
You poor dear soul. :(

Fox1304

Ok my bad, thought you were telling that she actually dies just after the wedding, even though it hadn't been shown yet on the show.
Sorry, spoiler paranoia in full force here.

Nizz

So that's The Red Wedding.

When Ned died in season one, episode nine was shocked by how it happened, but not that it happened. Sean Bean had only signed on for one season, he often dies on camera, etc.
This is why I don't really follow casting news too closely. I don't ever keep up on new cast members or current cast members' contracts because that in itself could be a spoiler.

As a person who has never read the books and has only watched the tv show last night's episode was shocking...shocking...

Fox1304

Me reading the books:

Red wedding - oh my god.

Spoiler tagging stuff that happens up to and before the point of this very thread is silly but people are super sensitive.

It's just that the way you wrote it made it seem like she was actually dying. Having not read the books, i couldn't understand that she took a "friendly" axe blow by The Hound instead of a punch as seen on the show. Thought it was a later scene probably depicted in episode 10.

ASIS

After having watched the ending a second time, i think they should have stopped at Robb's violent death, and ease up with Frey's wife and Cat's deaths on the graphic side. It felt too much, violence just for violence.

So you're upset not with the events, but the fact that the violence went on for too long/ The way they did it was poor?

I can see that, but I still don't agree :p

Protein

Banned
I'm out of this thread. It seems like people have an uncontrollable hard-on for talking about the book spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom