• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

Atrophis

Our postal office is super slow too, i hate getting the note in the mail on a friday saying "you have a large shipment" and it states i have to wait until monday to pick it up.

Keeping my records hostage over the weekend!

The post office isn't slow, just can't get to it until Saturday! Not that I can even play it yet, still not got my turntable.

They have arrived!
datadiscs1.jpg

Psykoboy2

Got an update that Microsoft is giving the go ahead to release a recent game's soundtrack on vinyl, but I'm not sure if I can give the title. This came from the composer himself, and said that it'll take a while but the conversation has started. I realize that without knowing what game this is, it isn't much to get excited over. I can say it wasn't a big triple A title, in fact I think it was a digital only release.

rpbtz

Got an update that Microsoft is giving the go ahead to release a recent game's soundtrack on vinyl, but I'm not sure if I can give the title. This came from the composer himself, and said that it'll take a while but the conversation has started. I realize that without knowing what game this is, it isn't much to get excited over. I can say it wasn't a big triple A title, in fact I think it was a digital only release.

I'm going to guess that it's going to be one of these two. Below being published by Microsoft and being digital only fits the bill + the composer is the wonderful Jim Guthrie who is no stranger to having his music released on vinyl. This hasn't been released yet afaik, though.

Another could be Ori And The Blind Forest as it's another digital only by Microsoft. And this one gathered a lot of pretty positive attention.

EDIT: But very interesting no matter what! It's nice that Microsoft puts in an effort to release the soundtracks to many of their games on vinyl.

Please be Killer Instinct.

rpbtz

Just received my iam8bit coupon code for the Journey delay. It's valid until December, so hopefully they'll announce something new before then.

hawk2025

Nice, I will buy the Ori soundtrack :)

Below is no longer published by MS.

rpbtz

Nice, I will buy the Ori soundtrack :)

Below is no longer published by MS.

Ah, I had no idea. I just looked up 2015 games by Microsoft Studios on Wikipedia :p

Having Guthrie as the composer would still mean that there's a decent chance of this soundtrack making it to vinyl, though. Fingers crossed :)

Hey rpbtz - any idea on the rarest VG vinyl out there? I've seen several go for £100+ on Discogs, just curious as to the highest commanding price you've seen?

rpbtz

Hey rpbtz - any idea on the rarest VG vinyl out there? I've seen several go for £100+ on Discogs, just curious as to the highest commanding price you've seen?

The most valuable... I'm guessing the Final Fantasy Vinyls box set comes to mind having sold for $350. But that's a box set, for a single album I'm guessing either the original numbered Final Fantasy VII having sold for $300 or Red Dead Redemption having sold for $250. Mind you that these are the highest sales prices for them all. They can occasionally be found at least just a little cheaper. Those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Maybe there's something else that's sold for more. Wouldn't surprise me :p

These can all be found on the second hand market, though. As for the rarest I'm gonna guess that it's some of the Japanese stuff that was released in the 80s. Not easy to find many of those in the West.

EDIT: Just realized that the SDCC version of the Battletoads OST has sold for up to $265 on eBay. That's absolutely crazy...

I have a test pressing for sword and sworcery signed by Jim that he and Craig gave me. Will post pics when I get home.

I'd say FF box set

The most valuable... I'm guessing the Final Fantasy Vinyls box set comes to mind having sold for $350. But that's a box set, for a single album I'm guessing either the original numbered Final Fantasy VII having sold for $300 or Red Dead Redemption having sold for $250. Mind you that these are the highest sales prices for them all. They can occasionally be found at least just a little cheaper. Those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Maybe there's something else that's sold for more. Wouldn't surprise me :p

These can all be found on the second hand market, though. As for the rarest I'm gonna guess that it's some of the Japanese stuff that was released in the 80s. Not easy to find many of those in the West.

EDIT: Just realized that the SDCC version of the Battletoads OST has sold for up to $265 on eBay. That's absolutely crazy...

Yeah, I was thinking RDR when I asked the question. Unfortunately (for me), that's probably my most wanted piece... :(

I have a test pressing for sword and sworcery signed by Jim that he and Craig gave me. Will post pics when I get home.

Sounds cool, do it!

rpbtz

Yeah, I was thinking RDR when I asked the question. Unfortunately (for me), that's probably my most wanted piece... :(

I looked through the sold listings on eBay and apparently someone got it for $50 CAD around two weeks ago.

I'm very happy that I bought a copy when it was released.

Got my iam8bit coupon code for the Journey mishap. Now I'm just hoping they release something worth buying before it expires. The Super Hexagon soundtrack is the only one I'm interested in and I already preordered it.

Just realized that microsoft vinyl cant be sunset overdrive :( Imagine having the awesome OST to that with the best box art in ages on 12" <3 :( MS y u do dis to me.

Edit: pic of test pressing for Sword and Sworcery.
11zN5.png

rpbtz

Just realized that microsoft vinyl cant be sunset overdrive :( Imagine having the awesome OST to that with the best box art in ages on 12" <3 :( MS y u do dis to me.

Edit: pic of test pressing for Sword and Sworcery.
11zN5.png

Nice - it looks great! Very jealous :D

So, I mentioned it a few days ago. But, I finally got my scale to check the tracking force. I felt like it was set way too high, but it was actually way too low. I have a 2M Blue which has a range of 1.6-2.0, with 1.8 being recommended. I had it at about 1.2. I can't believe how much cleaner everything sounds now at 1.8. An absolutely massive improvement.

Also, I had no idea Sword and Sworcery was coming on on vinyl. I need that shit.

rpbtz

So, I mentioned it a few days ago. But, I finally got my scale to check the tracking force. I felt like it was set way too high, but it was actually way too low. I have a 2M Blue which has a range of 1.6-2.0, with 1.8 being recommended. I had it at about 1.2. I can't believe how much cleaner everything sounds now at 1.8. An absolutely massive improvement.

Also, I had no idea Sword and Sworcery was coming on on vinyl. I need that shit.

Coming? It was released in 2011 ;)

You can order it here: https://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/sword-sworcery-lp-the-ballad-of-the-space-babies

Initial copies came with prints, although those are all sold out by now.

the embossed sleeve is so good.

Coming? It was released in 2011 ;)

You can order it here: https://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/sword-sworcery-lp-the-ballad-of-the-space-babies

Initial copies came with prints, although those are all sold out by now.

Yea this was the first VG album i got on vinyl. The second run had a different print. I think the 3rd run also had prints. Cant remember.

Jealous of the first version. I managed getting blue normal. They look great.

Just got my shipping notification from Data. Like I said before, I was super late to ordering. Like, two weeks ago now at the most. So, if they're going in order, they must be nearly done. Bring on Data 003 and 004.

EDIT: Just checked my email, I ordered Aug 27th. So, yeah, been two weeks since I ordered.

So uh...

Super Time Force.
(spoiler tagged below because secrets I guess?)

Anybody got ideas on how to decode the signals on "Low Earth Orbit"?
I thought that they were SSTV signals, and they might be, but my Freeware scanner shows nothing on Robot36, Martin 1, Martin 2, Scottie 1 and Scottie 2. I made a clean rip of side one (only side I've listened to yet) using my Audio Technica 120's USB out, and ran it through things but to no avail. Spectrogram analysis returns nothing as well...

Also, what the fucks up with all dem locked grooves?

Oops, didn't mean to double post, meant to have an edit rather than a quote. Follow up on my previous post:
I listened to the other side and recorded the other sides signals. I believe it's just raw grooves to spell out the "Greets" (in demo scene font), on the secret groove, but just to be sure, here are BOTH grooves in Wave format:

Side 1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18841090/Super Time Force Signals Side 1.wav

Side 2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18841090/Super Time Force Signals Side 2.wav

So, apparently Data Discs confirmed Streets of Rage 2. From their FB:

Za85IHR.png

So, 003 and 004 are presumably SoR2 and Shinobi 3, which still leaves one more mystery since they previously said there'd be three new ones coming. Granted, they've since only refereed to Data 003 and 004, so who knows what's going on there.

Shinobi 3? Wouldn't Revenge of Shinobi be more likely, seeing as it's another Yuzo Koshiro joint?

It somehow came out in the Guardian article:

Battletoads, Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark are out now on iam8bit. Streets of Rage, Shenmue and Shinobi III are available to pre-order now from Data Discs. Street Fighter II will be released by Brave Wave later this year.

And they confirmed it on facebook:

KiskEz2.png

Also where they said there'd actually be three albums coming soon. But, again, since then they've seemingly only talked about there being a 003 and 004. So, maybe the third is coming later or something. Who knows. Should be getting full info soon.

I don't really have any attachment for Shinobi 3's music. Revenge of Shinobi had such iconic tunes in comparison.

In for SoR2. I hope RoS and SoR3 are in the cards for the future.

rpbtz

Data Discs have already confirmed the whole Streets of Rage trilogy on Facebook back when they announced the first one, so no worries there. However, they've also stated that SOR 2 and 3 will not be included in the next round of announcements, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for those.

Data Discs have already confirmed the whole Streets of Rage trilogy on Facebook back when they announced the first one, so no worries there. However, they've also stated that SOR 2 and 3 will not be included in the next round of announcements, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for those.

That kind of makes me happy. I'd rather have some diversity in releases than have wave 2 have SoR2 and wave 3 have SoR3.

jacobeid

Banned
Hey does anybody want a 20% discount from iambit from the Journey vinyl delay? My friend has one and isn't using it but isn't a GAF member. Send me a PM!

Has anyone in the US gotten their Shenmue or SoR? Was curious how it shipped (UPS, USPS, FedEX)? Got my notification on Sunday, was hoping it'd make it here this week.

Yep, quite a while ago. It was Royal Mail / USPS I believe.

Any clue how long it took to arrive after you received shipping confirmation? So weird that they get tracking, but don't give it out.

Also, thanks again to rpbtz for bringing the existence of this to my attention:

FaFsquq.jpg

Just showed up today. Listening to it now. Very awesome.

Any clue how long it took to arrive after you received shipping confirmation? So weird that they get tracking, but don't give it out.

Also, thanks again to rpbtz for bringing the existence of this to my attention:

FaFsquq.jpg

Just showed up today. Listening to it now. Very awesome.
A little over a week I think. Email them, they'll send you tracking. That's what I did!

Teknoman

I really want to get the Streets of Rage 1. Looking at Best of Megaman, and I also want Sega Game Music Vol.1 but what if Data Disc releases Outrun at some point...

Top Bottom