• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

rpbtz

Yeah, I'm not pre-ordering this. I'll wait til it's out and see what the response is, but I need to hear the arrangements first. That's critical. Maybe they will have a preview when this goes live.

FYI you can hear the entire thing via Bandcamp in the link I provided in my original post.

I went ahead and bought that Death Stranding vinyl from Mondo (along with those 2 Makeup and Vanity Set albums) for some reason. What are peoples experiences with Mondo records? Their art prints are always top notch.

Also I got my Snatcher in the other day. Sounds and looks awesome!

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/undertale/products/limited-time-only-undertale-vinyl-bundle

The individual price of each vinyl is $35, which means if you were to bundle it these would cost $70 correct? WRONG! EXTREME VALUE OF $75! As far as the description goes, there is no extra items added which means they're literally marking this up $5 for no reason, and then saying they're giving you a 10 percent discount, when really it's $2.50 discount.

Lol what the fuck??

robotrock

Banned

Dan-o

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/undertale/products/limited-time-only-undertale-vinyl-bundle

The individual price of each vinyl is $35, which means if you were to bundle it these would cost $70 correct? WRONG! EXTREME VALUE OF $75! As far as the description goes, there is no extra items added which means they're literally marking this up $5 for no reason, and then saying they're giving you a 10 percent discount, when really it's $2.50 discount.

Math is hard (edit: they fixed it...)

What are peoples experiences with Mondo records? Their art prints are always top notch.
Generally very good. I have my reservations about the Twin Peaks LPs they released (as a big fan of TP). Castlevania 1 was a bit of a disappointment, although CV2 and Contra3 are both very nice. I have a bunch of their other releases (The Raid, Gravity, Drive, Jurassic Park.. a few others...) and they're all great.

I still don't have a shipping confirmation :(

bwahahaha

OnuWrXH.png

Can we make "Why? Because we love you" the new Extreme Value?

BTails

Anyone have their Splatter-variant Contra 3 ship from Mondo? It seems like some people are getting their copies already, but mine hasn't shipped (Ordered Splatter variant along with Castlevania 2 the moment preorders went live).

BTails

Hmmm. I've flipped them an email inquiring about the status, especially because mine hasn't shipped. This is only my second ever order with Mondo, and it's the second time I've had to followup with them. My first order took forever to ship as well, and they sold me a copy of Outrun that they didn't actually have in stock.

EDIT: They've already gotten back to me, mentioning that they ship in waves and that my order should ship soon... Still not feeling too reassured absed on my previous experience, but we'll see.

I went ahead and bought that Death Stranding vinyl from Mondo (along with those 2 Makeup and Vanity Set albums) for some reason. What are peoples experiences with Mondo records? Their art prints are always top notch.

They're solid in the shipping department (on time and okay priced) and their customer service is pretty solid. That being said I think the quality of the records vary a bit more than some other companies releasing stuff. I love them but sometime their releases can have a little more surface noise than I was hoping. This is mostly just a side effect of so many companies asking very few record pressers to fill their orders which is a sad reality of the current record producing landscape.

The makeup and vanity set records you bought were just distributed titles though so Mondo is just selling them in their store and has no control over the quality of those releases. But in my experience their curated titles are solid.

Thanks to the poster who put up the Hotline Miami link at Devolvers site. It shipped today for me and I was upset I missed on it when it first showed up on its initial run.

RaidenZR

Is anybody having an issue with Iam8Bit's site not showing a media mail shipping option?

Or am I just special?

I've tried to figure this out on multiple occasions, and have even posted about my experience with it once or twice. I feel like the Media Mail option isn't available on certain items (I've tried to snag Bound with cheap shipping two times in the past but it wasn't happening), and it's also not always available immediately when new pre-orders go up.

So the results vary. I guess you could try emailing or tweeting at them for support... but they will probably just try to convince you Media Mail is unreliable (fake news).

rpbtz

Don't know anything about media mail since I'm not in the US, but for the EU store there's been some issues with shipping rates to outside of the UK. I like to bundle stuff to save on shipping, but since new year (or around that time) there's only been DHL Express delivery available ($75-85) for 4 LPs and up.

I contacted them about it and they fixed it for 4 LPs, but it seems that 5 LPs will still only allow for DHL Express.

It looksl ike they've deleted some shipping rates (either by accident or because they've changed), but haven't replaced them with new ones. Don't know how Shopify works, but that's how some other e-commerce systems would handle shipping prices.

I tweeted them two days ago, I just needed to reload the page they said. Follow up with email if its still not working. So I emailed, but no response yet.

Just seems weird that it would be cheaper to mail 2 Data Discs releases from the UK than 1 i am 8 Bit from LA (that is where they are located right?) to DC.

Dan-o

I tweeted them two days ago, I just needed to reload the page they said. Follow up with email if its still not working. So I emailed, but no response yet.

Just seems weird that it would be cheaper to mail 2 Data Discs releases from the UK than 1 i am 8 Bit from LA (that is where they are located right?) to DC.

Yes, iam8bit ships from LA. I checked my previous Undertale tracking to confirm.

As for the Media Mail thing, my understanding is, the way they have it set up, it's an option they have to manually add to each release instead of having it as one of the default options available to all items (since not all items would qualify, like rolled posters, or shirts, or toys, or whatever. I make this assumption because, on their site, you can see this:
LGUNwl3.png

Both Media Mail and the misspelled option give you different items. Obviously, this is all an assumption on how their store is run, but yeah... I think they're adding the option manually as they put up new pre-orders.

kanuuna

An update from iam8bit on that Hyper Light Drifter deal that was supposed be out in January.

Howdy Drifters -

We know you've been waiting a long time for your Hyper Light Drifter vinyl.

So have we.

Vinyl, as you can imagine, follows an intensive production process. It's very analog with lots of room for error. And as perfectionists, we're keen on continuing iteration until everything is JUST RIGHT.​

With the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack, that iteration has been intense because of its super custom packaging. It doesn't follow a prescribed template, and as such, is a difficult thing to get right.

After MUCH back-and-forth with our plant representative, we JUST received the final Hyper Light Drifter vinyl package.

The vinyl look lovely.

The packaging, mechanically - with an embedded magnet enclosure - works in a unique and satisfying way.

However, the outer shell suffers from discoloration, an ill-centered image and oddly, artwork that was altered AFTER the proofing stage. "Proofing" is important to the printing process because it requires that design documents receive a signature of APPROVAL before going to print. Unfortunately, after that part of the process here, changes were made to the artwork without our explicit permission.

The result is outer artwork that we're simply not happy with, and in good conscience, we've recommended to Heart Machine and Disasterpeace, that we correct the errors enabled by this unfortunate meddling on the production side.

We take this very seriously, and as such, have expressed our disapproval to our production representative, going as far as to threaten our ongoing working relationship (which up to now has been 7+ years strong). Suffice to say that our excitement about collaborating with them in the future has been curbed.

To remedy this issue, we're taking matters into our own hands, and have already implemented a solution that will take approx. 3-4 weeks to complete.

Again:

- The vinyl is lovely... and sounds GREAT!
- The core structure of the package is classy as hell!

It's simply the outer "wrap" that suffers from unauthorized alteration, and requires us to do a full reprint of the packaging.

We appreciate your patience and will honor any requests for refunds. That said, we think you'll be quite pleased with the inevitable arrival of a pristine and perfected package mere weeks from now.

Also, your patience won't go unrewarded, as we're working with Heart Machine to develop some premium vinyl stickers to include as a complimentary pack in with all shipments. It's a small token of our appreciation.

Please feel free to reach out to store@iam8bit.com with any questions.

And THANK YOU for your patience.

The iam8bit Team

At this point, I'm a little tempted to take the refund offer.

Preorders open May 2016 > miss the winter 2016 release > three and half months of total silence > News of another month delay.

My six dollars-a-month layaway program is paying off dividendzzzzzz

Raiden-Laughs-Then-Gets-Serious-In-Mortal-Kombat-Movie-Gif.gif

BTails

There always seems to be an excuse for iam8bit... Personally, I really want to buy their Sunset Riders release, but I'm 100% waiting for it to be in stock before ordering.

On a side note: I just preordered the 3-LP Barnes and Noble exclusive HBO Westworld soundtrack (everywhere else is only getting a 1-LP selection). $34.99 USD + $6.50 USD shipping to Canada (Free in the US) for a 3-LP set... That's what I call EXTREME VALUE.

Dyna

LOL at that Hyper Light Drifter update. This coming from the same guys who completely screwed up Rez Infinite's original foil/reversible cover art but still sent them out afterwards with the bullshit excuse that they were "manga-inspired".

RaidenZR

Looking at the iam8bit update for HLD - it's insane they have to redo the entire packaging for one problem with the outer wrap? What? I wonder who's gonna be paying for that in future markups... I suppose maybe the packaging manufacturer, maybe not.

While it may turn out to be "classy as hell" and of an insanely high quality, I'd like to take a moment to reiterate something I said from a few pages back. I'd be soooooo 100% content & fine with something standard. Standard vinyl and standard packaging, no insane wait times or delays for perfectionist reasons.

We all like nice things... but I'd also rather just have the thing.

It is funny to hear them say that, but this does seem like it's out of their hands. A lot of companies probably would've said "fuck it" and just shipped it out.

Then again, a lot of companies wouldn't have had four separate delays lol.

No.

They get no leeway, not an inch. One mishap can be excused, but this company makes it a trend. Problems and delays are "never" their fault. I implore everyone to stop buying products from iam8bit, even if it's your favorite soundtrack of all time.

akileese

No.

They get no leeway, not an inch. One mishap can be excused, but this company makes it a trend. Problems and delays are "never" their fault. I implore everyone to stop buying products from iam8bit, even if it's your favorite soundtrack of all time.

I shit on them as much as anyone but not even I can put a company altering artwork post proofing on them. A fair assumption in business is once you have an agreement for what a commission is and how it's being designed, they don't change that without telling you because that's a great way to make sure you never get another business partner again. In fact, in their statement, they coyly admitted that they're not doing business with this company again. It's incredibly shitty and it's the people who supported them that suffer for it but considering an ill action by a third party to be the straw that broke the camel's back seems a bit much.

Their delays are strictly down to taking too many weird one off products and orders, so much so that their manufacturing process cannot possibly keep up. A few of us have said that time and time again. This is why we stopped preordering from them. I made an offhanded remark about how aggravated I was that they announced like 8 new products for "Q2" when they already had a full slate from the end of 2016 for that quarter. There's no fucking way half of those things make release. This is what they need to be attacked for and called out on. Stop putting out so many products every month if your manufacturing process cannot meet the demand. It breeds a cycle of delays and the only fix is to try and find another manufacturing partner (not likely to happen considering how strained the vinyl production industry is right now), or cut down on your releases. I realize asking a company to not want to make as much money is never going to happen, but I can dream.

LOL at that Hyper Light Drifter update. This coming from the same guys who completely screwed up Rez Infinite's original foil/reversible cover art but still sent them out afterwards with the bullshit excuse that they were "manga-inspired".

"We're perfectionists, but it's okay if two notes are missing off the front of 'Snowy' on our Undertale pressing"

Shaneus

I literally thought exactly the same thing when I read that bit.

If only they were perfectionists in meeting release times. They should honestly internally add 6 months to when they want to release it, then surprise people when they actually meet that (external) deadline.

I shit on them as much as anyone but not even I can put a company altering artwork post proofing on them. A fair assumption in business is once you have an agreement for what a commission is and how it's being designed, they don't change that without telling you because that's a great way to make sure you never get another business partner again. In fact, in their statement, they coyly admitted that they're not doing business with this company again. It's incredibly shitty and it's the people who supported them that suffer for it but considering an ill action by a third party to be the straw that broke the camel's back seems a bit much.

Their delays are strictly down to taking too many weird one off products and orders, so much so that their manufacturing process cannot possibly keep up. A few of us have said that time and time again. This is why we stopped preordering from them. I made an offhanded remark about how aggravated I was that they announced like 8 new products for "Q2" when they already had a full slate from the end of 2016 for that quarter. There's no fucking way half of those things make release. This is what they need to be attacked for and called out on. Stop putting out so many products every month if your manufacturing process cannot meet the demand. It breeds a cycle of delays and the only fix is to try and find another manufacturing partner (not likely to happen considering how strained the vinyl production industry is right now), or cut down on your releases. I realize asking a company to not want to make as much money is never going to happen, but I can dream.

I hear ya. I just don't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. With anything.

At the Sonic SXSW panel today, they teased that Sonic Mania's soundtrack might be on vinyl if fans really want it.

Here's a mockup that they showed.

C7EsoNnXUAAMDbK.jpg

At the Sonic SXSW panel today, they teased that Sonic Mania's soundtrack might be on vinyl if fans really want it.

Here's a mockup that they showed.

C7EsoNnXUAAMDbK.jpg

Fucking yes. I always find myself searching for ~high quality rips~ of the gameplay levels because Lee Topes has just knocked it way outta the park.

SEGA, I will absolutely buy this.

I mean Sonic 1 and 2 would make me consider blind buying with straight fanaticism, but unproven tracks? Dunno. As all aspects with Mania though, it's probably going to sound wonderful and worth checking out for sure.

You'd think someone at iam8bit would notice that almost every single one of their releases gets delayed and that they're constantly sending out apology emails, and try and change something.

I would love some Sonic on vinyl. If Sega decides it needs to team up with a third party company, I hope to god they stick with Data Discs and not go for "extreme value"

I mean Sonic 1 and 2 would make me consider blind buying with straight fanaticism, but unproven tracks? Dunno. As all aspects with Mania though, it's probably going to sound wonderful and worth checking out for sure.

No love for S3K?

I mean, it'll be a legal minefield, no doubt, but it has the best Sonic soundtrack imo.

Top Bottom