• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

I don't know anything about the error. I am in the process of moving. I haven't even had the chance to see it glow in the dark yet.

I mean if we are stretching I guess you can call it a tri-fold because of that, but I mean I paid 58.75 if they want to claim that adding some bushes that wrap around the record as the 10-11 month wait bonus I would have just not said anything at all. This is also my first Iam8bit order so I believe I paid the premium that constitutes the little cardboard wrap I don't think that year delay earned me it.

Also for example I am fairly certain I paid them $35 flat at San Diego Comic-Con for the Battletoads vinyl that opened up and played music.
They haven't come out and said anything, that was just my speculation. I think the packaging is very nice, but I am a crazy person who buys a ton of vinyl and doesn't own a record player. I got the LE variant for 55 shipped; I think it was worth it. I look at indie vinyl as a way to give devs more money for their great games.

rpbtz

Black Screen's Mystery Bundle 2 is coming soon.

http://blackscreenrecords.limitedrun.com/products/584591-mystery-bundle-002

I ended up getting three of the four records from the first bundle separately, and Black Screen's overall vinyl quality is top. Still, a gamble is a gamble. I would at least appreciate some clues, no? Like what genres the soundtrack are or something.

No guarantees, but I'm fairly sure one of them will be Mother Russia Bleeds. BSR have confirmed that they're doing that one.

soultron

Banned
Had to pass on the latest Data Discs drop because my bankroll is hurting from the Switch.

Hoping they'll do another run so I can pick them up at a later time.

RaidenZR

Heads-up: Contra III is shipping now from Mondo. Got a notification this morning.

Also, we're getting close to 100 pages of game vinyl posts! Who'd a thunk it in 2017?!

Shaneus

Still holding my breath that DD will do a Space Harrier release. I want a single side dedicated to a looping Squilla for 10 minutes.

Dan-o

I mean if we are stretching I guess you can call it a tri-fold because of that, but I mean I paid 58.75 if they want to claim that adding some bushes that wrap around the record as the 10-11 month wait bonus I would have just not said anything at all. This is also my first Iam8bit order so I believe I paid the premium that constitutes the little cardboard wrap I don't think that year delay earned me it.

I now have my copy of Ori (not the LE, just regular Blue & Purple, but it is otherwise identical)
I'm with you on this. Is it nice packaging? Absolutely. But it's not something that warranted additional hype months after missing their original release window... it was originally August, wasn't it? Oh well, just glad to finally have it in my possession. I'll be spinning it tonight!

RaidenZR

I now have my copy of Ori (not the LE, just regular Blue & Purple, but it is otherwise identical)
I'm with you on this. Is it nice packaging? Absolutely. But it's not something that warranted additional hype months after missing their original release window... it was originally August, wasn't it? Oh well, just glad to finally have it in my possession. I'll be spinning it tonight!

I got my Ori this weekend and I had a pretty negative reaction to the packaging. Not the artwork or anything like that, but the way the made the thing. The weird front, third fold-over piece kept getting stuck on the protective plastic sleeve when I tried to slip it into that. If you pulled this off the shelf and played it a lot, I'm sure that thing would get bent or dinged from time to time. Grumble, grumble...

I see this trend with all these game releases to try and stand out, or make every single item be a unique and special edition when it's so not necessary. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd take standard album sleeves with standard black vinyl pressings any day over fancy and gimmicky attempts to stand out. This is especially true when I notice that the cost looks to have received an uptick as a result.

I DO appreciate the enthusiasm some outlets have in wanting to make something special, but sometimes it works against the intended audience and compromises what you're trying to put out into the world.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd take standard album sleeves with standard black vinyl pressings any day over fancy and gimmicky attempts to stand out. This is especially true when I notice that the cost looks to have received an uptick as a result.
Respect knuckles, let's be vocal!

hutna

I see this trend with all these game releases to try and stand out, or make every single item be a unique and special edition when it's so not necessary. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd take standard album sleeves with standard black vinyl pressings any day over fancy and gimmicky attempts to stand out. This is especially true when I notice that the cost looks to have received an uptick as a result.

Here here. Sometimes a classic white label record is cooler than any super limited picture disc gatefold etc etc. thinking back to classic Warp records purple sleeve releases.

rpbtz

Maybe one of those is Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath since Oddworld Inhabitants teased that on Twitter a while ago? New 'N' Tasty's soundtrack was released through Black Screen Records IIRC.

Black Screen also teased Stranger's Wrath so that's definitely a possibility. They've also confirmed that they're releasing Mother Russia Bleeds and I think that will be one of them.

BTails

Looks like ShiptoShore is starting to ship their copies of Snatcher out this week. They also are expecting TheYetee to ship their variant next week. Can't wait for this one, it's looking pretty amazing!

Shaneus

Respect knuckles, let's be vocal!
We've tried to be vocal, but you still see people popping up saying "But I have to buy (xxxxxx) from iam8bit, it's my favourite game!".

Seriously, hold out. I held out on Rez and I'm glad I did. Bought Sega Game Music vol 2 instead, which was infinitely cooler and better than anything iam8bit could ever hope to put out.

Also, I had a vivid dream the other night where Data Discs did a Space Harrier release. WITAF.

rpbtz

how is the quality of thinkgeek's pressings? wondering about the Division LP that's going up tomorrow. $35 is kind of steep though.

Thinkgeek is just doing distribution, the record was made by Spacelab9 (who did the Fallout, Mega Man and Assassin's Creed releases). I've had no issues with their releases.

Where did you see the price?

Quonny

LOL, fucking iam8bit.

I was charged $3.32 from USPS because iam8bit didn't pay the correct postage. The delivery agent said that they underpaid and I would have to pay the difference to get the package.

Had to cut a check to USPS because iam8bit is shit.

I was never going to order from them again, but this just cements it.

rpbtz

I couldn't find a working link to the product page on their site, even though it showed one according to Google, so I just went to the cached version from a few days ago

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...k.com/product/jork/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Good find! Interesting that the cached version says "20 songs straight from the game", while Spacelab9's social media posts said that it's 20 previously unreleased songs.

So are they songs used in the game, but not released as part of the original soundtrack (which has been previously released, although not on vinyl)?

Good find! Interesting that the cached version says "20 songs straight from the game", while Spacelab9's social media posts said that it's 20 previously unreleased songs.

So are they songs used in the game, but not released as part of the original soundtrack (which has been previously released, although not on vinyl)?

well, here is the official OST on Google Play, and it's very different.

https://play.google.com/store/music...inal_Gam?id=B2weibzaowwxo7uqzg4rbnfvdom&hl=en

Looks like the vinyl is new music, except for maybe the main theme.

Shaneus

LOL, fucking iam8bit.

I was charged $3.32 from USPS because iam8bit didn't pay the correct postage. The delivery agent said that they underpaid and I would have to pay the difference to get the package.

Had to cut a check to USPS because iam8bit is shit.

I was never going to order from them again, but this just cements it.
Yeah, you need to tell them that. Tweet it or something, but don't let them get away with it.

Dan-o

Soooooo.... About Ori...

Remember how Undertale had a missing note or two on the Snowy track?
Well, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the very first track on Ori starts mid-first-note. I haven't compared if to the Spotify version yet. It's not as jarring as the Snowy error, I think, but it doesn't sound right to me...

Anyone else?

Soooooo.... About Ori...

Well, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the very first track on Ori starts mid-first-note. I haven't compared if to the Spotify version yet. It's not as jarring as the Snowy error, I think, but it doesn't sound right to me...

Anyone else?

Maybe that's the extra bonus they were talking about

Fhtagn

Soooooo.... About Ori...

Anyone else?

Sheesh. See, here's the thing, when you press vinyl, you get a few test presses. You're supposed to take that test press and listen to it on a couple different record players, and obsess over the quality of every second of it to make sure there aren't any mistakes, skips, surface noise or distortions in that test press to make sure the press will be fine before you do 1000+ copies with an error made by the plant.

And before that, when you make the premaster that's used to cut the plate to press the test presses with, you're supposed to obsess over every second of that too. Someone, multiple people even, who know the record inside out, should be checking that disc so that you don't get a test press that's perfect except for a mistake you made in the premaster phase.

Missing a few notes on the Undertale soundtrack is just mind boggling to me as someone who has been involved in putting out tapes, CDs and vinyl. I've never listened to anything more carefully than the masters I've handed over for duplication.

Got my first vinyl game soundtrack (and turntable) this week!

GGXrd-01.jpg

Is there a vinyl version of the OST from Jet Set Radio, Hotline Miami and Shovel Knight somewhere?

Shaneus

Sheesh. See, here's the thing, when you press vinyl, you get a few test presses. You're supposed to take that test press and listen to it on a couple different record players, and obsess over the quality of every second of it to make sure there aren't any mistakes, skips, surface noise or distortions in that test press to make sure the press will be fine before you do 1000+ copies with an error made by the plant.

And before that, when you make the premaster that's used to cut the plate to press the test presses with, you're supposed to obsess over every second of that too. Someone, multiple people even, who know the record inside out, should be checking that disc so that you don't get a test press that's perfect except for a mistake you made in the premaster phase.

Missing a few notes on the Undertale soundtrack is just mind boggling to me as someone who has been involved in putting out tapes, CDs and vinyl. I've never listened to anything more carefully than the masters I've handed over for duplication.
I'd wager iam8bit don't even know how to use a turntable.

rpbtz

What is the likelyhood of this wrecking my tunes?

Pretty good. The likelihood of it wrecking your tunes that is.

Built-in speakers in turntables sound terrible. If you're into vinyl for the sound, then you might as well get a Spotify subscription and a pair of PC speakers, because that will sound better than this turntable.

Built-in speakers also carry vibrations onto the stylus increasing the risk of skipping and damaging both stylus and records.

Additionally, most all-in-one turntables are made cheaply in China and the build quality will be as such.

It will work just as well as any other table if you just like to put on a record and listen to it throughout - i.e. playing records for the sake of "the ritual". Just don't expect it to sound good (and don't play anything valuable on it).

There are no good turntables with built-in speakers.

EDIT:

If you want something easy to setup, that doesn't take up as much space as a full setup, then I would suggest looking into the LP120 and a set of powered speakers. Obviously, that's going to cost a bit more, but it will also get you a better experience + the ability to upgrade more or less as you please in the long run.

Spwn

VINYL NEOGAF.

What is the likelyhood of this wrecking my tunes?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/retro-turntable/p/074768138429500

EDIT INFO:

I don't have room for separates or a dedicated turntable, because I'd get full decks and a mixer if I could. Just after some casual spinning if the mood arises.

Only regret would ensue. I used to have a cheap Chinese made turntable with built-in speakers and in addition to everything sounding horrible, it left a screeching sound on some of my records that can be heard with my current player.

Top Bottom