• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

rpbtz

Is the Division soundtrack unreleased songs? The description says otherwise, twice.

I'm confused about this, too. Spacelab9 mentioned the 20 unreleased songs in all their social media posts, so at this point I'm thinking that it's 20 songs that are in the game, but were not included on the original soundtrack release.

The tracklist on the 2LP release doesn't match any previous soundtrack release, so it would make sense that way.

rpbtz

Planet Coaster soundtrack coming from iam8bit: https://store.iam8bit.co.uk/collections/vinyl/products/planet-coaster-soundtrack-2xlp

Free slipmat for orders placed before March 19.

01_PlanetCoaster_Vinyl_FrontCover_1024x1024.png

WOO! Snatcher shipped!

Alternatively: Aw man, Snatcher shipped... Spring Break just started and the mail room will be closed ALL next week. Really hoping it doesn't come soon so it doesn't cause problems down the line...

Also that Jim Guthrie looks rad, and would look rad next the rest of my Jim Guthrie records... but iam8bit though...

ErichWK

Seems an odd choice to me. Having not played it myself (I do plan to), is the music that notable? And I thought the game still hasn't hit full-release status yet.

I listen to the planet coaster soundtrack so fucking much. It's perfect for smoking to, relaxing to, and smooching to.

Also I ducking hate myself for spending all that money buying it. $40 for a double LP? Get THE fuck out of here. $28 for shipping?? Triple get the fuck out of here.

At least it's great music

rpbtz

The shipping prices! Damn! I'm ok with 50€ or 60€ for the vinyl, but not the 35€ of shipping!

It's intended as a US distro, I think, since the label shipped from the UK. Just wait for the repress from Laced. Should be a lot cheaper in shipping for those in Europe.

TheBez

Anyone have the Rez vinyl from iam8bit? I didn't want to buy anything from them again, but it is 20% off today using code REZ20, worth picking up?

Dan-o

Hopefully Laced's shipping is less than $16. Otherwise I would buy from Devolver right now.
When I ordered Hotline Miami back in August, shipping was $25. That was UK (I think) to USA.

edit: I don't have a shipping confirmation from StS for Snatcher yet. :(

I accidentally ordered two copies of snatcher, and forgot to cancel one of them before they both shipped. I guess I'll keep one sealed and open one of them. Do you think I should open the red and black one from Yetee or open the three color blob one from ship to shore?

I need the Nier Automata soundtrack on vinyl. The original Nier would be very welcome as well. I feel neither will happen though. Square Enix usually distributes their own vinyl, right?

fourteentoone

Neo Member
Soooooo.... About Ori...

Remember how Undertale had a missing note or two on the Snowy track?
Well, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the very first track on Ori starts mid-first-note. I haven't compared if to the Spotify version yet. It's not as jarring as the Snowy error, I think, but it doesn't sound right to me...

Anyone else?

Sheesh. See, here's the thing, when you press vinyl, you get a few test presses. You're supposed to take that test press and listen to it on a couple different record players, and obsess over the quality of every second of it to make sure there aren't any mistakes, skips, surface noise or distortions in that test press to make sure the press will be fine before you do 1000+ copies with an error made by the plant.

And before that, when you make the premaster that's used to cut the plate to press the test presses with, you're supposed to obsess over every second of that too. Someone, multiple people even, who know the record inside out, should be checking that disc so that you don't get a test press that's perfect except for a mistake you made in the premaster phase.

I'm very sorry about this, but I was barely involved in the process throughout. I never got a chance to check the test presses (if there were any...) myself. That's something I would have picked up immediately. I did do some re-editing of the tracks from the original OST and DE: OST to make it all fit best on to 4 sides, but I just checked the WAVS that were handed over - and nothing is cut off.

In fact, I never even got my own copy of the vinyl before the general public. Not a huge deal, but it struck me as a bit odd having written the thing...

If you wish to compare side by side, the first track on vinyl is the exact same as the first track on the Ori : Definitive Edition soundtrack.

Once again, my apologies, unfortunately this was pretty much the only part of the entire soundtrack production that was taken out of my hands...

That's a shame to hear, I'm sorry your work was treated with such disregard.

It's a testament to their incompetence that iam8bit can cut corners so much and still under-deliver many months late.

Fhtagn

I'm very sorry about this, but I was barely involved in the process throughout. I never got a chance to check the test presses (if there were any...) myself. That's something I would have picked up immediately. I did do some re-editing of the tracks from the original OST and DE: OST to make it all fit best on to 4 sides, but I just checked the WAVS that were handed over - and nothing is cut off.

In fact, I never even got my own copy of the vinyl before the general public. Not a huge deal, but it struck me as a bit odd having written the thing...

If you wish to compare side by side, the first track on vinyl is the exact same as the first track on the Ori : Definitive Edition soundtrack.

Once again, my apologies, unfortunately this was pretty much the only part of the entire soundtrack production that was taken out of my hands...

Huge bummer that they didn't keep you in the loop. Having the artist hear the test press before moving forward is crucial imho.

I haven't heard the record in question, so I don't know if it actually has any problems; I know the Undertale one did and that provoked my little rant.

Dan-o

I appreciate this reply. A lot.

I just did a true side by side, and it seems like a fraction of a fraction of a second, at best. It's hard to describe. My ears tell me it's still slightly off, but not as bad as I had originally thought. While the Undertale/Snowy issue was super obvious, this is much less so. And again, it really could just be my ears. My apologies if I made it sound worse than it really was.

I LOVE this soundtrack, though. It's phenomenal. I've been wanting it on vinyl since I first played the game in March 2015. I'll be giving it a closer listen this week.

I do think it's weak how you didn't get a test pressing or even a final retail copy in advance. I thought that the former was standard practice, and that the latter would just be a common courtesy to the artist.

fourteentoone

Neo Member
I appreciate this reply. A lot.

I just did a true side by side, and it seems like a fraction of a fraction of a second, at best. It's hard to describe. My ears tell me it's still slightly off, but not as bad as I had originally thought. While the Undertale/Snowy issue was super obvious, this is much less so. And again, it really could just be my ears. My apologies if I made it sound worse than it really was.

I LOVE this soundtrack, though. It's phenomenal. I've been wanting it on vinyl since I first played the game in March 2015. I'll be giving it a closer listen this week.

I do think it's weak how you didn't get a test pressing or even a final retail copy in advance. I thought that the former was standard practice, and that the latter would just be a common courtesy to the artist.

Thanks for your kind words about the soundtrack.

I've been following this thread since we announced the preorder. The feedback from everyone good and bad is appreciated, and.. not unexpected to be honest.

With regards to the test pressing / retail copy, that's just the tip of the iceberg / experience - which I won't go into here. I'll sum it up and try to perhaps paraphrase my feelings about the whole thing. 2 years almost to the day that we released Ori, I finally have the first physical product of mine out there (limited edition CD doesn't really count as it's not a cataloged release) and I should be proud of it. However, I invested years of my life into the soundtrack, and this last part of it was the only part I had little to no involvement in, and thus it felt like an afterthought. Unfortunately, I look at it, and it makes me sad and disappointed.

Fortunately, it's ultimately the music that counts, and not whatever physical manifestation it is released in, and that is something I'm proud of and more importantly, something that the enthusiastic fans of the game and its soundtrack - such as yourself - seem to enjoy.

I've been following this thread since we announced the preorder. The feedback from everyone good and bad is appreciated, and.. not unexpected to be honest.

With regards to the test pressing / retail copy, that's just the tip of the iceberg / experience - which I won't go into here. I'll sum it up and try to perhaps paraphrase my feelings about the whole thing. 2 years almost to the day that we released Ori, I finally have the first physical product of mine out there (limited edition CD doesn't really count as it's not a cataloged release) and I should be proud of it. However, I invested years of my life into the soundtrack, and this last part of it was the only part I had little to no involvement in, and thus it felt like an afterthought. Unfortunately, I look at it, and it makes me sad and disappointed.

Fortunately, it's ultimately the music that counts, and not whatever physical manifestation it is released in, and that is something I'm proud of and more importantly, something that the enthusiastic fans of the game and its soundtrack - such as yourself - seem to enjoy.

Thanks for creating such a beautiful soundtrack and I'm sure many of us are just glad to have it in our hands despite a small shortcoming :)

You knocked it out of the park, it's lovely! It was a real treat to discover the extended tracks with the definitive edition- and while I haven't played much of the game due to platform restraints, the soundtrack is played a lot here when it's time to study and work. Much respect! Haven't heard the LP though.

Dan-o

Well said, sir. I've rewritten this post a few times, but I'll keep it short. :) My combined love for the game and your music within it is more important to me than the physical product on my shelf, anyway. You're proud of the music, as you should be, so this vinyl ultimately doesn't matter. There's obviously disappointment due to the delays of this vinyl, among other things, but I hope you know that, at least for this one fan, none of that reflects badly on your work or contribution to it.

There's a lot of, shall we say, negative feelings towards the company that released this product, but I think (hope!) that people here remember that the artists of video game music aren't usually the ones making the calls at this stage unless they're lucky enough to have retained the copyright (or have direct contact with those making the calls), which seems to be rare.

Anyway, thanks again for the music. I'm not being hyperbolic or sucking up when I say it's among my favorite music from 2015; not just video game music, either.

rpbtz

It sounds like iam8bit and Materia Collective have teamed up for a series of Piano Cover albums with this art style for their covers. It's an homage to classic piano/jazz covers.

Shaneus

I don't know about or care about Undertale, but I am getting sick of this awful limited edition art print style being used for video game vinyl covers.

Nothing will top Castlevania's III's mealy diaper contents tho.
Thank fuck we still have DD keeping it real.

akileese

...and more iam8bit - they're releasing an "Undertale on Piano" 2LP. Preorders open tomorrow: https://twitter.com/iam8bit/status/841749324799262721

It's this one for those interested: https://materiacollective.bandcamp.com/album/undertale-piano-collections

I remarked a few weeks ago how nice it was to see them slowing down the release calendar and just working through what they had. Hope they can keep up going forward cause that Q2 is starting to get super packed from them.

My kid will want this Undertale one too but I'll wait until it actually gets released.

RaidenZR

I remarked a few weeks ago how nice it was to see them slowing down the release calendar and just working through what they had. Hope they can keep up going forward cause that Q2 is starting to get super packed from them.

My kid will want this Undertale one too but I'll wait until it actually gets released.

Yeah, I'm not pre-ordering this. I'll wait til it's out and see what the response is, but I need to hear the arrangements first. That's critical. Maybe they will have a preview when this goes live.

I think the days of locking in a pre-order and forking iam8bit some guaranteed money in advance are over for me. Too many long gestation periods and delays.

akileese

Yeah, I'm not pre-ordering this. I'll wait til it's out and see what the response is, but I need to hear the arrangements first. That's critical. Maybe they will have a preview when this goes live.

I think the days of locking in a pre-order and forking iam8bit some guaranteed money in advance are over for me. Too many long gestation periods and delays.

Same. Materia Collective is doing it and their work is always extraordinary. Track list is below.

https://www.materiacollective.com/music/undertale-piano-collections

Top Bottom