• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

BTails

Hey guys, can someone recommend a ~$200 turntable with pre-amp (USB not strictly necessary)? The recommendations in the op are a couple years old already... I need an entry/midrange alternative to my Technics, so I can listen to test pressings on something that is more realistically what people use these days ;) I do have an old super low-rent AIWA player, but it's not ideal.

As a huge vinyl enthusiast, I would strongly ask you to reconsider this approach if it means comprimising the quality of a pressing so that it sounds "better" on lower end hardware. This line of thinking led to a similar problem in the 90s with the Compression/Loudness wars, where studios were mixing for those all-in-one CD player/speaker combos. So much music from about 1990-2010 sounds absolutely dull, or shrill, with clipping and no dynamics.

jarosh

As a huge vinyl enthusiast, I would strongly ask you to reconsider this approach if it means comprimising the quality of a pressing so that it sounds "better" on lower end hardware. This line of thinking led to a similar problem in the 90s with the Compression/Loudness wars, where studios were mixing for those all-in-one CD player/speaker combos. So much music from about 1990-2010 sounds absolutely dull, or shrill, with clipping and no dynamics.

I think you misunderstand. We don't do any engineering work or any mastering with a particular (low end) turntable in mind at all. This is very specifically about the cutting of the vinyl at the plant and certain issues that can occur that might make a needle skip or a record otherwise not play correctly on a lower end player. We are not compromising the quality of the sound in any way.

And although this is unrelated, most music is still very much mixed and mastered with low end hardware in mind and to a degree that will hopefully never change. Most engineers will test their mixes and masters on a variety of low end speakers, all the way down to laptop or iPhone speakers. You have to draw a line somewhere of course, and on the more negative side (imo) is the fact that mixes have been getting brighter and brighter to the point of sounding shrill (yes, now moreso than ever) to compensate for the lack of bass and lower mids on your average bluetooth, laptop and smartphone speakers.

BTails

I think you misunderstand. We don't do any engineering work or any mastering with a particular (low end) turntable in mind at all. This is very specifically about the cutting of the vinyl at the plant and certain issues that can occur that might make a needle skip or a record otherwise not play correctly on a lower end player. We are not compromising the quality of the sound in any way.

And although this is unrelated, most music is still very much mixed and mastered with low end hardware in mind and to a degree that will hopefully never change. Most engineers will test their mixes and masters on a variety of low end speakers, all the way down to laptop or iPhone speakers. You have to draw a line somewhere of course, and on the more negative side (imo) is the fact that mixes have been getting brighter and brighter to the point of sounding shrill (yes, now moreso than ever) to compensate for the lack of bass and lower mids on your average bluetooth, laptop and smartphone speakers.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

And yes, music today can be VERY shrill. I just listened to a new 2017 album (on vinyl) that was great in content, yet certainly tiring to the ears.

Anyway, back on topic, my Silent Hill and CV1 should be showing up tomorrow or Tuesday!

Was able to get SOR2 before it sold out! So glad this thread exists! Now I must upgrade my turntable to something better. Have been looking at all the recommendations in this thread and still deciding.

This sounds specifically like the Audio-Technica LP60. It's an amazing entry-level player for the price (~$100) but the tonearm cannot be adjusted and can tend to uncommonly skip on even brand new records. I think it happens mostly with heavier records that are not flat/even.

jarosh

This sounds specifically like the Audio-Technica LP60. It's an amazing entry-level player for the price (~$100) but the tonearm cannot be adjusted and can tend to uncommonly skip on even brand new records. I think it happens mostly with heavier records that are not flat/even.

Interesting! Good to know, thanks!

Shaneus

Heads up - Data Discs' leftover sale has just started
Ah crap. Were there any SoR2 copies left, or were they just SoR1 and Shenmue?

Will just have to hold out for the repress, I guess! Hopefully they're indistinguishable from the initial pressing.

TheBez

Hey there VGM Vinyl Gaf. I have a sealed copy of Hotline Miami 2 I am thinking of getting rid of and figured I would give you guys first crack at it. Any interest?

jarosh

No problem. I had one for about six months and this only happened to me on maybe two records (always the same ones, too), so it wasn't super common, but juuuuust common enough to have a reputation for it.
Do you remember which records? Would be interested to hear more about this. So it was the needle making sudden jumps forward? I've found that this happens on some really low end players with content that has extremely sudden, loud transients that cover a wide frequency spectrum with significant amounts of bass.

Do you remember which records? Would be interested to hear more about this. So it was the needle making sudden jumps forward? I've found that this happens on some really low end players with content that has extremely sudden, loud transients that cover a wide frequency spectrum with significant amounts of bass.
Woo, that was a bit ago, but I am fairly certain that one of the constants was early on the B side to this: https://www.discogs.com/Charli-XCX-Sucker/release/6486957 (don't judge me).

I wish I had more technical details for ya, but I've long upgraded from that player. I can say that I played a good amount of late 90s, early 00's trance on it with no issues; not sure if that counts as "significant amounts of bass," but definitely a lot of thump-thump-thumping.

JEKKI

yo what the hell?!?!?!?! semi off-topic, but I'm pissed now!!!

The Container Store used to sell stackable milk crates for vinyl records (stackable as in they have connector grooves on the side of them too, allowing me to stack em open face forward), but when I went to buy some more yesterday they discontinued them!!

they discontinued one of the best and essential items they could possibly carry!!

even the dude working there was pissed, and he showed me the item they're replacing with :

https://www.containerstore.com/s/sm...cord-storage-box/d?productId=11005722&q=vinyl

we both groaned together... this is HORRIBLE!

and what's worse, I can't seem to google my way into finding a suitable replacement, except for at amazon which is charging over double what TCS was selling for >_<

is this some Berenstein Bears reality now where plastic milk crates for storing vinyl records just does not exist anymore?? why would this happen?!?!? there has to be some reason why this product suddenly disappeared from the market??

(apparently because crates are traditionally stolen out of the back of grocery stores, making them actually illegal to own or something, if my googling is telling me correctly)

How long is 'forever'? I checked within an hour or so and the US 6 set was showing sold for me (I didn't check the other sites) :/ I haven't been this bummed about missing something shiny in, well... ever. :(
whaaaat?!?! they went on sale at 10AM; by the time I left work at 4PM they were still available. I didn't check when I got home, but that's a lot of available hours.

regardless of how fast they sold, they were limited so iam8bit had a guaranteed profit on them no matter what, and they knew they could get away with it too -_-

Any neat storage solutions for vinyls? Or just chuck them on a bookshelf and call it a day? My stuff is all in its shipping boxes still and it's adding up now...

Any neat storage solutions for vinyls? Or just chuck them on a bookshelf and call it a day? My stuff is all in its shipping boxes still and it's adding up now...

I have mine on a bookshelf, but some people enjoy using Milk Crates like these for them:

Screen-Shot-2014-04-29-at-10.06.33-AM.png

I bought this cube unit from Target when it was on sale for $40. However even at its regular price of $60, I'd recommend it. Assembly didn't take that long, and it holds vinyl well. If you don't have enough vinyl for each cube, you can always put other stuff in there. I use my leftover shelves for special editions and other gaming memorabilia.

http://www.target.com/p/6-cube-organizer-shelf-13-threshold-153/-/A-50253251

i'd say about 200 single LP's. I have two stacked next to each other. in black of course.
They also make a shorter/wider variant but same capacity:
kallax-shelf-unit-white__0365645_PE549083_S4.JPG
I think I had almost 450-500 in the 4x2 variant when I had to upgrade. So 200-250 for the 4x1 shown here would be my guess. Not considering the different sizes and shapes of record jackets, though.

Thanks. This sounds like more than enough!

i'd say about 200 single LP's. I have two stacked next to each other. in black of course.
They also make a shorter/wider variant but same capacity:
kallax-shelf-unit-white__0365645_PE549083_S4.JPG

I got this one in black after an old cube shelf I bought from Target started to collapse-- it's much sturdier, and pretty cheap to boot.

Dan-o

I want to be clear...
This is NOT me, and I DON'T know this person in any way...

but this might be the best deal on the Life is Strange soundtrack we'll ever find. No, it's still not cheap.

(quote this post to see the link above, if I did it right... didn't want lurkers to see it)

akileese

Do you mean a 4x4? Otherwise that is one enormous shelf you've got :)

Whoops. Now that I've had my coffee, I have two of the 2x2s book ending two 4x1s stacked up. So it's 2x8. Still a lot, but unless I had vaulted ceilings and a library style ladder, I would imagine 8x8 would make for a tough listening experience!

Top Bottom