• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think this will happen, to some degree. Naoki Kodaka's work is legendary to any NES/Famicom fan worth their salt. I would guess it's on Ship To Shore and/or Brave Wave's radars.

I am curious, though, as to how one would approach the licensed stuff. Assuming a worst case scenario, could somebody release the Batman soundtrack as part of a Sunsoft compilation and just refer to it as "Comic Book Game" or something?

The Batman music has been released on CD relatively recently in Japan--things are more lax over there, obviously, but there is precedent.

Yes, but depends on the frame of course. Make sure the space between the backboard and the glass can be secured tightly, then you don't have to worry about it at all. tl;dr Don't buy the shittiest frame.

Alright, I'll shop around - thanks!

Plenty of options there, but for example a set with Audio Technical AT-LP120 with built-in pre-amp and a pair of cheap active speakers (maybe even pre-owned) could be purchased for maybe $400-500 and could provide a relatively uncompromising solution for your needs. To be honest I have no idea how much stuff actually costs in the US (in case that's where you reside). If you already have active speakers or passive speakers + amp, then you could just get the $300 turntable with built in pre-amp or get perhaps a bit better turntable pre-owned and buy a separate pre-amp.

But just make sure you don't get anything with built-in speakers, anything that doesn't have a counter-weight, or anything that doesn't support changing the cartridge. Those are all signs of bad quality, which can damage your records in the long run. Do research and embrace the insanity.

I can't help but think that the LP120 would be way too much for only owning one or two vinyls. (Heck, for now I'll only have the VA 11 HALL-A soundtrack, and the only other one I could see myself getting is the Transistor Soundtrack, assuming it's still available for a reasonable price.)

Would the Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK-BT be recommended if I ever felt it was worth it to be able to play the vinyls I've bought? It seems to fit my needs/aesthetic, and would connect via Bluetooth to my existing soundbar.

Would jumping straight to $500+ setups really be needed for my needs?

Spwn

Would jumping straight to $500+ setups really be needed for my needs?

Naw, I just live in a bubble where people buy low-end soundsystems costing 400€+ and a turntable on the top of that so I have hard time judging how much people are actually willing to spend. Also Finland is fucking expensive. Check out the secondhand market as Noisepurge suggested.

LaneDS

Lol calm down. Actraiser is not part of the trilogy and should be its own collection along with the sequel.

Why do y'all keep lumping them together? They aren't similar games.

Was joking!

They're totally similar though, at least Soul Blazer is. Both from Enix, you play as a heavenly emissary sent to restore a broken world in each game.

OnPoint

Was joking!

They're totally similar though, at least Soul Blazer is. Both from Enix, you play as a heavenly emissary sent to restore a broken world in each game.
Damn internet joke detector being broken haha

I don't think they're similar at all though. One series is a Secret of Mana style action-adventure and one series is a sidescroller (the first with world building elements). I guess Soul Blazer sort of has world building? But not really. Sure Quintet was behind them both, but they're really quite different.

LaneDS

Damn internet joke detector being broken haha

I don't think they're similar at all though. One series is a Secret of Mana style action-adventure and one series is a sidescroller (the first with world building elements). I guess Soul Blazer sort of has world building? But not really. Sure Quintet was behind them both, but they're really quite different.

Gameplay wise, I agree of course. One is SimCity SNES + 16-bit sidescroller and the other is an action RPG where you're restoring the world through dungeon exploration.

Tonally and thematically though, they're very closely linked in my mind at least (much moreso than say, Soul Blazer to Illusion of Gaia at least).

I love almost all of them and their soundtracks, regardless of how connected or not connected they are.

OnPoint

Gameplay wise, I agree of course. One is SimCity SNES + 16-bit sidescroller and the other is an action RPG where you're restoring the world through dungeon exploration.

Tonally and thematically though, they're very closely linked in my mind at least (much moreso than say, Soul Blazer to Illusion of Gaia at least).

I love almost all of them and their soundtracks, regardless of how connected or not connected they are.

I'd love all 5 games on vinyl myself.

This arrived today:

21105560_1818209894873303_3018481639367672341_n.jpg

21105889_1818209891539970_7768385650092109083_n.jpg

snkryo

Hi, so I just bought a few records and started searching through craigslist for a vinyl player and a few are priced at $20-30. Any good?

Thanks

Fisher mc 723 wih speakers $20
SANYO #GXT-828U. No speakers $20
Logik lmx 900. No speakers $30
Panasonic sg-d35 no speakers $30

wiibomb

Everyone in this thread should know all too well that based on iam8bit's track record this will ship in time for SF's 40th and probably spontaneously combust the moment it's posted through your front door as per the warning

akileese

oh yeah, you just need to risk you working SNES that it might overheat while playing it.

That's why I say non working.

It's a legal thing. Due to age the SNES is considered "vintage electronics" so this is them covering their rear in case someone's cart melts or their SNES catches fire. I use mine pretty frequently still and it never warms up so you should be fine. If your the type of person who buys an SNES repro cart for use, odds are you've got one in good working order. For 90% of the folks who buy this, it's sitting on the shelf.

$100 for this thing. Holy god. The original cart MSRP'd for $80, which is a 25 percent hike on that so well played! I don't even think iam8bit is doing anything other than distribution for this so that's probably why the price is so high. I'm guessing Capcom dictates pricing.

Also Pokemon Gold/Silver got delayed to Q1 2018 with zero announcement so if you preordered that expecting to have it by Christmas, that really blows. The irony of it all is that their update page is out of date since it still has Q4 2017 as the release date. The delay makes sense since Materia haven't even completed production yet and it's still being assembled. There's no way they get the masters to the pressing plants during the holiday and get these polished off in 3 months.

rpbtz

Also Pokemon Gold/Silver got delayed to Q1 2018 with zero announcement so if you preordered that expecting to have it by Christmas, that really blows. The irony of it all is that their update page is out of date since it still has Q4 2017 as the release date. The delay makes sense since Materia haven't even completed production yet and it's still being assembled. There's no way they get the masters to the pressing plants during the holiday and get these polished off in 3 months.

Well, their update page is always behind... Where do you see this, though? Store page still lists Q4 (but those are usually even further behind the update page, so I'm not surprised about the delay).

BTails

ShiptoShore is holding a 24-hour 20% off sale today, use the code STSTWENTY at checkout. Good if you're missing some of their excellent releases (Snatcher!!).

They also mentioned on twitter that Bayou Billy and their repress of Mother 2 go up on Sept 7.

wiibomb

ShiptoShore is holding a 24-hour 20% off sale today, use the code STSTWENTY at checkout. Good if you're missing some of their excellent releases (Snatcher!!).

They also mentioned on twitter that Bayou Billy and their repress of Mother 2 go up on Sept 7.

oh wow I missed the earthbound news. I wonder at how much it will be.

StarDew Valley update from Mondo

the Dual Color version of the Stardew Valley - Original Video Game Soundtrack 2XLP has faced an unfortunate delay, with the records now being expected to finish production at the end of September. We expect these records to be in hand and shipping by mid October.

Nier + Automata OSTs coming out on Vinyl btw.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/903476804639264768

Yeah, I guess I'm collecting Vinyls now.

(Just need to figure out how to get it here in Canada...)

Nah, just find a 99$, well kept 80's turntable off Craigslist or Goodwill to get you started.

But you do need to have an AV-Receiver that has a phono input or buy an amplifier for it too.

Naw, I just live in a bubble where people buy low-end soundsystems costing 400€+ and a turntable on the top of that so I have hard time judging how much people are actually willing to spend. Also Finland is fucking expensive. Check out the secondhand market as Noisepurge suggested.

Assuming I've already got a good soundbar (with bluetooth) and a small 2-4 Vinyl Soundtrack collection, would the Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK-BT be a good choice if I want something new/'sleek' rather than used?

Spwn

Assuming I've already got a good soundbar (with bluetooth) and a small 2-4 Vinyl Soundtrack collection, would the Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK-BT be a good choice if I want something new/'sleek' rather than used?

It falls in the category of turntables that have uneven production quality and can do harm to your valuable records in the long run. It's a common beginner table due to it being cheap and getting great reviews from people who don't know any better. I'm not saying you wouldn't be satisfied by the sound quality it provides, though. Kinda depends what you're expecting, but don't expect anything to sound better than what streaming services offer on their lowest settings.

BTails

I think one of the main reasons that many people (myself included) recommend used gear for beginners, is that there's really nothing out there being currently manufactured that is "good" while also being relatively affordable (lots of the new gear being produced is all extremely high-end/expensive). Vinyl is a very interesting media in the fact that you have a physical needle running through a groove in a disc, if things are out of allignment, or of poor quality, you're going to end up damaging your vinyl.

A lot of "beginner" or "all in one" turntables tend to use very shoddy cartridges (the shell that holds the needle, or stylus as it's called), with no options to change the weight applied by the cart, meaning you end up with an easy table to use, but one that can/will damage your records.

As for a Bluetooth soundbar, it may or may noy work. Records are mastered with a very specific amplification curve in mind, and require that to sounds anywhere near decent. There's a few ways to solve this: some turntables have a built in "preamp", which will do the work for you. Others will use a standalone preamp to do the trick. Or you plug the turntable into an amplifier/receiver with a specific "Phono" input. Most likely your soundbar doesn't have a Phono input, so you'd need one of the first two options.

That's also another benefit of buying used: amplifiers were a dime a dozen back in the 70s/80s, and many of them can be had very cheap used nowadays. They should all have Phono inputs, and many of them sound quite good. I personally use a solid state Realistic (Radio Shack's old brand) amp from the mid 70s that sounds phenomenal, and I think it cost me $20 CAD back in the day.

Bioware store has 20% off during PAX West.
Mass Effect Trilogy vinyl $80

^^Anyone have a translated tracklist/playlist set up for the Nier albums? That's a hard call on the 20 or so songs to choose from the hours of music.

Google-translate helped:
NieR Gestalt / Replicant
Disc 1
Side A

Summer in Snow
Hills of Radiant Wind
Song of the Ancients / Devola
Gods Bound by Rules
Dispossession / Ver. Piano

Side B

Grandma
Blue bird
The Wretched Automatons
Kaine / Salvation
Deep Crimson Foe
Yonah / Ver. String 1

Disc 2
Side C

The Dark Colossus Destroys All
Cold Steel Coffin
Emil / Karma
Temple of Drifting Sands
Song of the Ancients / Fate

Side D

Shadowlord's Castle / Roar
Emil / Sacrifice
Shadowlord
Ashes of Dreams / English Version

Nier Automata
Disc 1
Side A

City Ruins - Rays of Light
Birth of a Wish
End of the Unknown
Vague Hope - Cold Rain

Side B

Amusement Park
A Beautiful Song
Pascal
Mourning

Disc2
Side C

Peaceful Sleep
Alien Manifestation
The Sound of the End

Side D

Copied City
Dependent Weakling
Bipolar Nightmare
Weight of the World/English Version

Never owned a vinyl but with that nier announcement I guess I'm collecting vinyls now.

Can anyone here recommend some great sounding (and looking) game vinyls that are available today and maybe also a few player recommendations for a novice?

I'm thinking of getting the Last Guardian and Transistor ones.

Thanks!

Top Bottom