• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

I've never owned a vinyl or a record player before, but damn if I couldn't resist ordering this:

v600_Va11HALLA_Mockup_Front_Repress.png

Va11HALLA_Mockup_Back_Repress.png

Va11HALLA_Mockup_Spread_Repress.png

Absolutely gorgeous.

Now just to figure out how to frame/display it...

crimnos

I love Yetee so I don't want to make them take a loss, so if it plays fine I'll just keep it as-is.

Hopefully Wizorb doesn't suffer from this though.

My Wizorb arrived yesterday and was in good condition, thankfully. Must be something specific to that release.

Are there any that would let me display the marbled vinyls alongside the cover? Really love the look of them, so being able to show off the full set would be amazing.

i display my Laserdisc movies like this, just get a little bigger frame, put a piece of cardboard under the cover art to press it against the glass, holds it right there without any glue etc.

terminator_ld.jpg

BTails

Data Discs teasing DATA013 and DATA014 on their twitter with pictures of test pressings. No hints, but anything from them gets me excited. I would assume one of them is Streets of Rage 3.

So Moonshake Metroid is a bust right? Avoid?

Still waiting on my copy. Only have one Moonshake: Dr Mario, and I thought it sounded fine.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
love when you forget you preordered something then it shows up just got my sunset riders
was in here looking at everyone get their sunset riders a couple days ago like man i wish i preordered that

wiibomb

so, my No Man's Sky record came today from amazon, I am actually surpriced at how well they packed this vinyl.

not only it came in a protective cardboard sleeve (similar to the book ones), but also all of that came in a big box with air bags to protect it.

of course, the record came intact, as if it was just taken out from the factory.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
Avoid anything by Moonshake. The quality is iffy at best and it's basically a pirated soundtrack pressed onto vinyl.

I personally would say the quality is great on all the releases I personally own : Castlevania, Dr Mario, Pokemon, DKC, and Metroid.

His Castlevania is also superior to the official release IMO. Not going to argue the ethics... That's a different conversation, but the quality from my experience is solid.

BTails

...no, but ill take it! gorgeous game. thanks man, should finally get my order in next paycheck.

Do it, Irish. It's one of my most played soundtracks (Along with Snatcher): it sounds phenomenal on vinyl, and the music is so, so good. The whole package looks amazing, especially the foil cover.

Do it, Irish. It's one of my most played soundtracks (Along with Snatcher): it sounds phenomenal on vinyl, and the music is so, so good. The whole package looks amazing, especially the foil cover.
YES, nothing can beat Flight (synthesizer version) played on vinyl. Or the orchestra version for that matter....

The Metroid bootleg is really put together well, for whatever it's worth; barring an official release with artist involvement and meticulously sourced from hardware, this makes me happy.

The secret track on Side C is choice.

LaneDS

The Metroid bootleg is really put together well, for whatever it's worth; barring an official release with artist involvement and meticulously sourced from hardware, this makes me happy.

The secret track on Side C is choice.

Side D (NES) is really solid too. Wish my side A wasn't so crackly but aside from that, it's pretty cool minus being, uh, a bootleg.

Hoping the Spacelab tweet wasn't nothing and Nintendo gets on board with this.

Hoping the Spacelab tweet wasn't nothing and Nintendo gets on board with this.

It's probably happening. The Mother 1 & 2 releases are officially licensed (both with Nintendo, and with Sony, the original label of the CD releases), and the Super Mario 7" from the 80's (not the recent bootleg repress) is also official. Nintendo isn't a stranger to vinyl.

There are a lot of options on Amazon, i.e.:
This, this, and pretty much everything that comes up for this search.

None of those have room to display both vinyls, unfortunately.

i display my Laserdisc movies like this, just get a little bigger frame, put a piece of cardboard under the cover art to press it against the glass, holds it right there without any glue etc.

terminator_ld.jpg

Would that kind of solution be safe to display the cover art and the 2 vinyls? Is it safe to have the disc/vinyl pressed against the glass/plexi like that?

Spwn

Would that kind of solution be safe to display the cover art and the 2 vinyls? Is it safe to have the disc/vinyl pressed against the glass/plexi like that?

Yes. The glass won't scratch the discs in any way granted you don't pour sand between the record and the glass. Just keep it out from direct sunlight.

If you ever decide to listen to it, don't hesitate to ask tips for a cost-effective starter setup here.

Yes. The glass won't scratch the discs in any way granted you don't pour sand between the record and the glass. Just keep it out from direct sunlight.

So just to be 100% sure... I don't need to buy any specific materials other than a frame that fits it how I want to display it and some cardboard? The vinyls won't slip around either?

If you ever decide to listen to it, don't hesitate to ask tips for a cost-effective starter setup here.

Assuming I ever get the pocket money for stuff outside of gaming/etc, it would be cool to know what I should look at, so sure, that would be appreciated. What turntable/setup should I be looking at, assuming value & quality are first & foremost?

Spwn

So just to be 100% sure... I don't need to buy any specific materials other than a frame that fits it how I want to display it and some cardboard? The vinyls won't slip around either?

Yes, but depends on the frame of course. Make sure the space between the backboard and the glass can be secured tightly, then you don't have to worry about it at all. tl;dr Don't buy the shittiest frame.

Assuming I ever get the pocket money for stuff outside of gaming/etc, it would be cool to know what I should look at, so sure, that would be appreciated. What turntable/setup should I be looking at, assuming value & quality are first & foremost?

Plenty of options there, but for example a set with Audio Technical AT-LP120 with built-in pre-amp and a pair of cheap active speakers (maybe even pre-owned) could be purchased for maybe $400-500 and could provide a relatively uncompromising solution for your needs. To be honest I have no idea how much stuff actually costs in the US (in case that's where you reside). If you already have active speakers or passive speakers + amp, then you could just get the $300 turntable with built in pre-amp or get perhaps a bit better turntable pre-owned and buy a separate pre-amp.

But just make sure you don't get anything with built-in speakers, anything that doesn't have a counter-weight, or anything that doesn't support changing the cartridge. Those are all signs of bad quality, which can damage your records in the long run. Do research and embrace the insanity.

Don't toy with my heart.
I think this will happen, to some degree. Naoki Kodaka's work is legendary to any NES/Famicom fan worth their salt. I would guess it's on Ship To Shore and/or Brave Wave's radars.

I am curious, though, as to how one would approach the licensed stuff. Assuming a worst case scenario, could somebody release the Batman soundtrack as part of a Sunsoft compilation and just refer to it as "Comic Book Game" or something?

I think this will happen, to some degree. Naoki Kodaka's work is legendary to any NES/Famicom fan worth their salt. I would guess it's on Ship To Shore and/or Brave Wave's radars.

I am curious, though, as to how one would approach the licensed stuff. Assuming a worst case scenario, could somebody release the Batman soundtrack as part of a Sunsoft compilation and just refer to it as "Comic Book Game" or something?

"Sunman" and "Dynamite Sunman" >_>

"Uncle Baldguy's Trek"

"Not Gremlins 2"

Top Bottom