• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog (French, PS4 Pro reveal date leak) feeds the NX rumor mill

novabolt

I don't think that's possible at all...
Back when there was a healthy wii thread, it was clearly said that the best case scenario for a portable device with a reasonable price would be around 3-500 gflops. That's 4 times less than a PS4.

I think the maximum a handheld could possible do is around 700GFlops and that would be pushing it. We ain't going to see 1TFlops handhelds until 2020+

On a handheld even at a much lower resolution it can still look very good.
Not sure about them matching PS4's visuals, but that's likely what they meant with the resolution

The resolution part isn't the problem, matching PS4's visuals is. The only handheld that even comes close to matching a console in visuals is the Vita and when it does, that's only for certain exclusives like Killzone: M.

OCD Guy

But yeah overall it sounds 100% fake. And this is from the person who usually believes in leaks lol.

Often the more fake it seems the more chance it ends up of being true.

So we're probably looking at a Nintendo Duo which is going to be a handheld with chromecast type dongle full of remasters and dlc locked behind amiibos that are impossible to find in stores lol.

Called duo because it comes in two parts, and the gimmick being the console that you can literally take anywhere with you and transforms from handheld to traditional console with just a quick plug of a dongle.

Akiller

Almost all of these are repeats of previously publicly disclosed rumours, and almost all the original claims are vague, underspecified, and unfalsifiable. Classic hallmarks of a scam attention grab. Turd emoji / 10.

This.

"We have to publish a NX leak news "
"B-b-but we actually have no info... "
"Just put up a list of old rumors and add a little touch of hype and "soon" "
"Yeah that could work, actually i know a place where people really really like to talk about something like that"

Durante

Going down the list you can basically see exactly where they jumped from "let's repeat general assumptions to build trust" to "let's throw in random and impossible to verify tidbits to generate clicks".

Edit: I swear I didn't read Stump's post before writing this.
I guess they just are that obvious.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also why is everyone laughing at FFXV on NX? Isn't it a UE4 game? Shouldn't NX be able to run UE4 quite well due to Tegra getting twice the performance on FP16 precision? Edit: wait is FFXV made in UE4? Why did I think that if it's not the case...

The release timing might not make sense, but that's really the only thing against a FFXV port to NX. Square Enix seems to be on board quite heavily, the rumored hardware should very much be able to handle a port, Japan values handhelds way above consoles... it honestly would be weirder if it doesn't come to NX.

FFXV is build on SE proprietary engine. SE said they need around one year after launch to port it to PC. ONE YEAR. ON PC. You know, that thing where they're did the development for 10 years or so.

If it takes one year to port to PC, imagine how long it would take to port the engine to NX where it would need also a lot of optimisation.

FFXV on NX is as fantasy as it gets at this point.

Please let the dongle be true. It's what I wanted from the beginning. There isn't any reason that the amazing streaming tech in the Wii U needs to go to waste (especially after they likely spent an inordinate amount of money in R&D developing the solution).

I absolutely love the freedom of off tv play on the Wii U gamepad and definitely hope NX will emulate or improve that experience.

Putosaure

Based Gameblog. Clickbait title, site bloated with ads and *info* in a video so you can swallow another ad. Nothing to see here.

MoonFrog

Don't see FFXV on NX. Most Japanese games aren't pushing the consoles like that with proprietary and unweildly engines to boot. I think we're at the point where the assumption is NX is weaker than XBOne but with certain hardware strengths and a lesser resolution to display at. UE4 games, cross gen games, lower budget games, and games that are built around NX are the games it is likely to run. Moreover, FFXV will be pretty old by the time an NX port would come, unless they are already working on it in secret :p.

If FFXV doesn't move enough in Japan on PS4, perhaps that would entice Square to jump through the hoops to get it on a portable. I don't think NX will be completely out of the FFXV ball park, but it's definitely a more awkward fit than other games thanks to the peculiarities of FFXV.

FFVII R though...I'm dubious about it but buying it for a Nintendo console on a cartridge might just be too much irony to not buy it as I always point out :p.

Lutherian

Julien Chièze. Full of shit 50% of the time.

Aaah, Julien Chièze. Indépendance 5/5 (frenchGAF will understand) !

I'm so tired of this guy. Isn't this article old ? He already teased "I have something to tell you about NX and PS Neo...", witch were bullshit (NX = PS4 Neo level).

Nohar

As usual for Chièze, click bait articles. Really, don't give Gameblog clicks, that website doesn't deserve any kind of attention.

orioto

Good Art™
I think the maximum a handheld could possible do is around 700GFlops and that would be pushing it. We ain't going to see 1TFlops handhelds until 2020+

Well yeah 700 gflops could give something convincing on a small 720 screen maybe. Something that would look like a XBO game from distance! But that would be enough for really nice things

When will gameblog stop extrapolating stuff from their dreams ? It has been proven times and times again that they only shoot in the dark and the 10% they are right is because they shot so wide they were bound to hit something.

L Thammy

So, this is just a hodgepodge of existing rumours meant to make one big fanboy fantasy, right?

The vague "Nintendo hasn't revealed all their gimmicks" thing is the signature for me.

Is SMD going to use this in one of his YouTube videos? Because he mentioned this Julian person is a recent video and said how Gameblog said NX would be a powerful console as proof for what he (SMD) wants.

Lmao

Add this to the OP:
Chieze said Monster Hunter gameS are coming to NX. So is Biohazard 7.
Also. More remakes from N64 to Wii era.

Some of that looks strangely off. Just seems like a list of guesses from what is known while throwing in their own shit.

"Their sources are currently developing on the platform and have devkits"

When shit leaks, they damn well will go all out and give the info, not tidbits and "surprises you havn't seen yet!"

I hope this really isn't true.

I hope it is true. Something like the Chromecast lends itself to being used more often, and hopefully it can be used as a DLNA receiver if Nintendo ever wants to do media (Since it will likely use an OS thats terrible for media and apps)

Also, it lends itself better to local multiplayer, like what the Wii U should have been.

One part I actually dislike is the breakaway controllers. very inelegant solution.

By the way, these aren't rumours according to Julien Chieze. So if it turns out wrong, I hope we can add Gameblog to the not trustworthy list.

Hindl

Far too optimistic. If it turns out this is true, great. But not gonna bother believing this, there's too much shit here that's unbelievable

Ffs why is nintendo dragging there feet on an official reveal?

Games. This device is supposed to combine all of Nintendo's output onto one platform, which means the major selling point will be the pure volume of first party Nintendo games. They need a reveal showing off at least a dozen first party games to hammer home the point that this device will have a very constant stream of first party software.

That's my best guess as to why they're taking so long- preparing those games and trailers.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The resolution part isn't the problem, matching PS4's visuals is. The only handheld that even comes close to matching a console in visuals is the Vita and when it does, that's only for certain exclusives like Killzone: M.
I don't see the problem, the vita has games that look close to ps3 games, a nx with the power of a hypotetical vita 2 would have games looking close to ps4 games, the small screen and the lower resolution help a lot..

Top Bottom