• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameInformer] Five Exciting Destinations You'll Visit In Final Fantasy XV

Chrono321

I completely disagree. Nintendo appears to be re-branding themselves entirely. I see Monolith Soft as being a pivotal part of this if this is the case.

Also, the games are doing two different things.

XBX has exploration and gameplay at the forefront of EVERYTHING else. The weaker elements, are obviously more notabl , the characters, the music and story (to some people... I happen to enjoy all of it).

FFXV, to me, seems to put exploration as an afterthought to everything else (at least per the GameInformer interview). The strong points for FFXV, to me, will be the opposite of XBX. Story, characters and music. I'm sure exploration will be great but I don't think it'll give the same freedom XBX provides.

I don't even know why I'm even comparing the two in the first place, honestly. I appreciate each game for their own strengths.

Thank you for that! 👍

Aters

I completely disagree. Nintendo appears to be re-branding themselves entirely. I see Monolith Soft as being a pivotal part of this if this is the case.

XBX has exploration and gameplay at the forefront of EVERYTHING else. The weaker elements, are obviously more notabl , the characters, the music and story (to some people... I happen to enjoy all of it).

FFXV, to me, seems to put exploration as an afterthought to everything else (at least per the GameInformer interview). The strong points for FFXV, to me, will be the opposite of XBX. Story, characters and music. I'm sure exploration will be great but I don't think it'll give the same freedom XBX provides.

I don't even know why I'm even comparing the two in the first place, honestly. I appreciate each game for their own strengths.

I'm not criticising the game itself. It's just Nintendo fans don't seem to care about JRPG that much. Take XB as an example, it's a wonderful game, but it doesn't sell as well as it desearves. I'm just wondering if Nintendo is interested in making another console JRPG after two unsuccessful tries.
Although I can see Nintendo rely on Monolith to bring on some huge RPGs if NX turns out to be a more "traditional" console.

Chrono321

I'm not criticising the game itself. It's just Nintendo fans don't seem to care about JRPG that much. Take XB as an example, it's a wonderful game, but it doesn't sell as well as it desearves. I'm just wondering if Nintendo is interested in making another console JRPG after two unsuccessful tries.

You're right with that assumption I guess... It's a pitty that too few Nintendo Fans seem to care for those kind of games with that much efford behind them...

Koutsoubas

Important!!

Can we fly the car inside the cities or is this possible only in the wilderness??

(please be the first one, please!)

DJIzana

Important!!

Can we fly the car inside the cities or is this possible only in the wilderness??

(please be the first one, please!)

They seem to make the take off / landing of the car rather seriously (I believe they referenced taking off / landing an airplane as an inspiration to the flying regalia). Unless there's a decent straightaway of space, like an airport or enough room to take off or land then I don't seeing that be possible. Same probably applies to any 'hidden areas' if such exist. Likely will be hard flying to any with this kind of mind set in place, I think.

I know it's OT, but I hope like hell Nintendo learns to use Monolithsoft properly...like say, releasing games they make on their platforms *before* they're basically dead.

DJIzana

Is there going to be snow in the game?

Yes (as in the weather effect, not the character)... as shown here.

https://youtu.be/CX5D4Fenz5g?t=153

I know it's OT, but I hope like hell Nintendo learns to use Monolithsoft properly...like say, releasing games they make on their platforms *before* they're basically dead.

I wouldn't worry. Monolith Soft is solid. In fact, I can't wait to see how their next title will wow us visually. Considering X was their VERY first HD game? I was DAMN impressed. So much so that it's the best game I've played in the last like... 12 years. No lie.

Koozek

Is there going to be snow in the game?

We haven't seen any snowy area so far, but I'm sure there is one. We saw this scene in a freezing cold train which could be moving through a possibly snowy region:
LeftImmediateButterfly.gif

EDIT: Oh, just realized we've seen the train move through a snowy place in the recent Environment footage from the Uncovered event:
https://youtu.be/HZYNC4JZ_2c?t=1m30s

YHRVZMS.png

DJIzana

We haven't seen any snowy area so far, but I'm sure there is one. We saw this scene in a freezing cold train which could be moving through a possibly snowy region:
LeftImmediateButterfly.gif

You can barely see (what I think) is a snow covered mountaintop in the quick scene from the trailer I linked.

Edit: Nm, those are clouds... but you can still see the snow weather effect outside of what appears to be a summon or a story scene. :p

Koozek

You can barely see (what I think) is a snow covered mountaintop in the quick scene from the trailer I linked.

Edit: Nm, those are clouds... but you can still see the snow weather effect outside of what appears to be a summon or a story scene. :p
Check my edit above!

EDIT: Ah, lol, you linked the same while I was looking for it :D

Yarbskoo

I really like the environment art. I really hope it's mostly explorable. If I see something awesome behind an invisible wall, it's really going to dampen my experience.

KupoNut

I'm sure it's in other FFXV threads somewhere, but for those who like the FFXV art, the art team will have a panel on this at PAX later this month.

Famassu

Exploration isn't an afterthought. They just said that they'll figure out where the story takes them and then they'll flesh out the explorable world/doable content surrounding the story. That's not an afterthought, that's just having a certain order to things. They are putting in a lot of effort giving players ways to explore the world (car, flying car, trains, luxurious yacts, chocobos, boats in the canals of Accordo etc.) and to provide all kinds of nooks & crannies with stuff to find, optional dungeons to find, more special monsters to hunt, lakes to fish in etc.

They just want the game to have more structure, but that doesn't mean exploration is an afterthought, considering how massive these areas like Duscae seem to be (Duscae seems like it might be far bigger than a single region in XBX). The game's world simply won't/might not be 100% explorable from the start like some Bethesda RPG or GTA technically is. So while it might turn you around if you try to exit Duscae before doing some mandatory story mission(s), Duscae itself seems to be a pretty massive area that holds a lot of exploration within its borders while you work on advancing the story after getting to the region.

And I don't think it differs all that much from Xenoblade X. While it's technically maybe possible to go almost anywhere in Xenoblade X, the reality is the game is structured & designed in a way that you go through different places in a somewhat controlled manner (at first) and are discouraged from advancing too far into the game's different regions before the game wants you to go there & you are ready (level wise, having/not having a Skell). You start the game by exploring NLA's surroundings in Primordia. Then a mission takes you just a little bit further away, deeper into Primordia. Then after exploring the few places of Primordia you can as a low-level loser, you have your first mission in Noctilum but that's largely closed off from you due to super strong enemies that are put near narrow pathways that act as kind of "gates" to the next area. With some luck you can get through but then the next area will have even stronger enemies and such high level nodes that you can't invade ground there to set up checkpoints no matter how hard you try. So you'll explore a little bit of Noctilum and a bit more of Primordia until a mission takes you to Oblivia. After that you basically have to explore all you can from those three regions until you get a Skell 40-50+ hours in and then that opens up a bit more of these regions. And only after that are you encouraged to go to Sylvalum and able to actually survive a single enemy attack in that region. So while FFXV might give players more tightly defined boundaries set by the situation in the story, Xenoblade X's freedom really isn't all that much more free since aggressive & deadly lvl 50 enemies & other impossible to do content will make sure that that players will keep away (and if they don't the game will do its hardest to MAKE the player stay away)

Xenoblade X's focus IS on exploration (that's basically all you do in the game, fighting filled exploration), but that doesn't mean FFXV's exploration is just an afterthought when it gives a bit stricter boundaries to the player set by where they are in the story.

Well theory is
that we'll explore Insomnia at the end of the game after it has been destroyed by the Niflhiem army. So it'll probably be deserted and have a lot wreckage in order to have the player in a specific area.

Where does this come from?

DJIzana

Exploration isn't an afterthought. They just said that they'll figure out where the story takes them and then they'll flesh out the explorable world/doable content surrounding the story. That's not an afterthought, that's just having a certain order to things. They are putting in a lot of effort giving players ways to explore the world (car, flying car, trains, luxurious yacts, chocobos, boats in the canals of Accordo etc.) and to provide all kinds of nooks & crannies with stuff to find, optional dungeons to find, more special monsters to hunt, lakes to fish in etc.

They just want the game to have more structure, but that doesn't mean exploration is an afterthought, considering how massive these areas like Duscae seem to be (Duscae seems like it might be far bigger than a single region in XBX). The game's world simply won't/might not be 100% explorable from the start like some Bethesda RPG or GTA technically is. So while it might turn you around if you try to exit Duscae before doing some mandatory story mission(s), Duscae itself seems to be a pretty massive area that holds a lot of exploration within its borders while you work on advancing the story after getting to the region.

And I don't think it differs all that much from Xenoblade X. While it's technically maybe possible to go almost anywhere in Xenoblade X, the reality is the game is structured & designed in a way that you go through different places in a somewhat controlled manner (at first) and are discouraged from advancing too far into the game's different regions before the game wants you to go there & you are ready (level wise, having/not having a Skell). You start the game by exploring NLA's surroundings in Primordia. Then a mission takes you just a little bit further away, deeper into Primordia. Then after exploring the few places of Primordia you can as a low-level loser, you have your first mission in Noctilum but that's largely closed off from you due to super strong enemies that are put near narrow pathways that act as kind of "gates" to the next area. With some luck you can get through but then the next area will have even stronger enemies and such high level nodes that you can't invade ground there to set up checkpoints no matter how hard you try. So you'll explore a little bit of Noctilum and a bit more of Primordia until a mission takes you to Oblivia. After that you basically have to explore all you can from those three regions until you get a Skell 40-50+ hours in and then that opens up a bit more of these regions. And only after that are you encouraged to go to Sylvalum and able to actually survive a single enemy attack in that region. So while FFXV might give players more tightly defined boundaries set by the situation in the story, Xenoblade X's freedom really isn't all that much more free since aggressive & deadly lvl 50 enemies & other impossible to do content will make sure that that players will keep away (and if they don't the game will do its hardest to MAKE the player stay away)

Xenoblade X's focus IS on exploration (that's basically all you do in the game, fighting filled exploration), but that doesn't mean FFXV's exploration is just an afterthought when it gives a bit stricter boundaries to the player set by where they are in the story.

You bring up a solid point. Only difference is we knew well from the get go, with the exploration trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X, just exactly what they meant by exploration. They showed you that there are no invisible walls. You are right, there is pacing to get to that point, it was still clear from the get go on where exactly in the world you could go. I haven't seen that from FFXV yet.. and, as I mentioned, that's not a bad thing either. I'm not stating that stuff won't be possible it's just not something we've seen clearly advised like X has marketed their game. That's all.

What I mean is simply this.

This was advertised right off the bat with their exploration trailer.

I'm not bashing FFXV for it's exploration by any means. I just think it leaves me to believe it'll offer something different than Xenoblade. As I mentioned, I'll appreciate each game for what their strengths are.

Famassu

"Reclaim your throne", meaning the end game might be about going back to Insomnia after you've perhaps gathered the power of summons to take it back from Niflheim by force. Whatever it is, Insomnia is clearly closed off from Noctis at the start of the game and the four friends direction is away from there (until they can return at some point). At the very least we know that the order of locations is Chapter 1 desert -> Duscae -> Caem -> Accordo for the first part/half of the game. Past that, maybe Tenebrae? I doubt Insomnia comes back to the picture too early.

At least this Game Informer articles seems to confirm that we WILL still be going back to Insomnia in a larger capacity instead of maybe just some story-related showdown in front of the royal skyscraper. That's something I had begun to wonder.

Venom Fox

Banned
I really want to know what city or town they based Manchester on. Naturally I'm really intrigued because 1) that's where I hail from and 2) its only been used in GTA London and Resistance 1.

Maybe here? I've heard this theory quite a bit in the past. Not that I believe it. My theory is that it will pull a shift in focus before the third act.
I think we will return to Insomnia and free it, but then a bigger revelation will be made known that will shift the focus onto something different and take us to a new location.
I personally think it will be handled similar to
Alexandria in FFIX, where you are forbidden to return and it's occupied until something BIG happens and revelations are made that shift the story into a new direction.

While we know the main objective is to reclaim the throne of Insomnia/Lucis, we also know there is something BIGGER developing behind the scenes. We know of the
Plague of the Stars and how the nights are getting longer. We know of the ancient forces and old prophecies that tell of apocalyptic battles.
The sleight of hand regarding objectives seems to be a consistent thing with the entire FF series.

FFXV looks like it will be interesting to explore because it features familiar environments but with fantastical landmarks and other features.

I liked running around in the Duscae demo. Especially with your party members commenting on random stuff. Being able to cruise around in the car and hop out to look for hidden areas appeals to me. The recent trailers have also showed off a lot of unique areas that I'm looking forward to exploring as well.

Famassu

I really want to know what city or town they based Manchester on. Naturally I'm really intrigued because 1) that's where I hail from and 2) its only been used in GTA London and Resistance 1.
Isn't Manchester a pretty heavy industry city? Niflheim is supposed to have lots of industry like that, so I imagine Niflheim's capital is the one.

"Reclaim your throne", meaning the end game might be about going back to Insomnia after you've perhaps gathered the power of summons to take it back from Niflheim by force. Whatever it is, Insomnia is clearly closed off from Noctis at the start of the game and the four friends direction is away from there (until they can return at some point). At the very least we know that the order of locations is Chapter 1 desert -> Duscae -> Caem -> Accordo for the first part/half of the game. Past that, maybe Tenebrae? I doubt Insomnia comes back to the picture too early.

At least this Game Informer articles seems to confirm that we WILL still be going back to Insomnia in a larger capacity instead of maybe just some story-related showdown in front of the royal skyscraper. That's something I had begun to wonder.

Fighting your way inside is my guess

Famassu

You bring up a solid point. Only difference is we knew well from the get go, with the exploration trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X, just exactly what they meant by exploration. They showed you that there are no invisible walls. You are right, there is pacing to get to that point, it was still clear from the get go on where exactly in the world you could go. I haven't seen that from FFXV yet.. and, as I mentioned, that's not a bad thing either. I'm not stating that stuff won't be possible it's just not something we've seen clearly advised like X has marketed their game. That's all.

What I mean is simply this.

This was advertised right off the bat with their exploration trailer.

I'm not bashing FFXV for it's exploration by any means. I just think it leaves me to believe it'll offer something different than Xenoblade. As I mentioned, I'll appreciate each game for what their strengths are.
They are different games in many aspects, I agree. The exploration itself will be vastly different in these games. Xenoblade X has a lot of verticality and a certain type of freedom in how you go about moving in the world (you can do these huge jumps and use that to climb up steep cliffs etc.). FFXV seems a bit more limited in that, since Noctis isn't jumping 30 feet into the air like Xenoblade's characters do. So the world is big with lots to explore, but the style of exploration is perhaps a bit different. Noctis probably won't be performing those kinds of leaps of death off cliffs & such.

I just took objection in your claim that exploration is an afterthought. A game where exploration is an afterthought wouldn't even make such a huge, vast world to explore. Even in VersusXIII days Nomura talked about how they were aiming to make a huge world filled with stuff to find. There was an interview where Nomura said something like "you can explore everything except the mountains in the distance". You don't say stuff like that from a game where exploration is an afterthought. Exploration was always a big part of Versus XIII/XV's genes, even if it was to be somewhat guided/restricted by the story (especially at first, probably less so later in the game once you've opened up most of the world).

I'd say FFXIII is a game where exploration (in its latter half) is an afterthought. Pulse doesn't feel like a natural part of the game and it doesn't feel like a well designed environment, more of a "well, you ran forward for the last 20-30 hours, here's a slightly larger playground for you to play in for a while, then back to the pipe for the finale it is!"

MogCakes

I don't believe that what we've been shown touches the latter half of the story. Insomnia may just be the halfway mark and a jump-off point for the next phase of the plot.

JBwB

I don't believe that what we've been shown touches the latter half of the story. Insomnia may just be the halfway mark and a jump-off point for the next phase of the plot.

They gave us a brief glimpse of Tenebrae, which is a province in Niflheim. I'm guessing we won't be going there till much later in the game.

Jpope

Neo Member
I've had the background of my desktop as the water city of Altissia for a couple of years now. It better not disappoint!

DJIzana

They are different games in many aspects, I agree. The exploration itself will be vastly different in these games. Xenoblade X has a lot of verticality and a certain type of freedom in how you go about moving in the world (you can do these huge jumps and use that to climb up steep cliffs etc.). FFXV seems a bit more limited in that, since Noctis isn't jumping 30 feet into the air like Xenoblade's characters do. So the world is big with lots to explore, but the style of exploration is perhaps a bit different. Noctis probably won't be performing those kinds of leaps of death off cliffs & such.

I just took objection in your claim that exploration is an afterthought. A game where exploration is an afterthought wouldn't even make such a huge, vast world to explore. Even in VersusXIII days Nomura talked about how they were aiming to make a huge world filled with stuff to find. There was an interview where Nomura said something like "you can explore everything except the mountains in the distance". You don't say stuff like that from a game where exploration is an afterthought. Exploration was always a big part of Versus XIII/XV's genes, even if it was to be somewhat guided/restricted by the story (especially at first, probably less so later in the game once you've opened up most of the world).

I'd say FFXIII is a game where exploration (in its latter half) is an afterthought. Pulse doesn't feel like a natural part of the game and it doesn't feel like a well designed environment, more of a "well, you ran forward for the last 20-30 hours, here's a slightly larger playground for you to play in for a while, then back to the pipe for the finale it is!"

Yeah, I guess poor wording choice on my part. Thing is though, the highlighted text, it USED to be a common phrase which developers failed to deliver on. Now with the tech actually in place, we're starting to see more of it.

Philippo

Maybe here? I've heard this theory quite a bit in the past. Not that I believe it. My theory is that it will pull a shift in focus before the third act.
I think we will return to Insomnia and free it, but then a bigger revelation will be made known that will shift the focus onto something different and take us to a new location.
I personally think it will be handled similar to
Alexandria in FFIX, where you are forbidden to return and it's occupied until something BIG happens and revelations are made that shift the story into a new direction.

While we know the main objective is to reclaim the throne of Insomnia/Lucis, we also know there is something BIGGER developing behind the scenes. We know of the
Plague of the Stars and how the nights are getting longer. We know of the ancient forces and old prophecies that tell of apocalyptic battles.
The sleight of hand regarding objectives seems to be a consistent thing with the entire FF series.

Both Nomura and Tabata split the game in 3 big parts iirc, with Lestallum and Accordo being the central hubs of the first two.
I guess the last main city to be Tenebrae.

I expect it to go this way:
-Chapter 0
-Chapter 1: Opens in Insomnia (with Regis sending Noct away), then moves into Lucil -> Hammerhead -> Caem -> Galdin Quay -> Insomnia's walls
-Chapter 2: Lestallum -> Caem
-Chapter 3: Accordo
-Chapter 4: Tenebrae
-Chapter 5: Nilfheim
-Chapter 6: Insomnia's liberation
-Chapter 7: Final revelation and last dungeon/area/boss

Dark_castle

Both Nomura and Tabata split the game in 3 big parts iirc, with Lestallum and Accordo being the central hubs of the first two.
I guess the last main city to be Tenebrae.

I expect it to go this way:
-Chapter 0
-Chapter 1: Opens in Insomnia (with Regis sending Noct away), then moves into Lucil -> Hammerhead -> Caem -> Galdin Quay -> Insomnia's walls
-Chapter 2: Lestallum -> Caem
-Chapter 3: Accordo
-Chapter 4: Tenebrae
-Chapter 5: Nilfheim
-Chapter 6: Insomnia's liberation
-Chapter 7: Final revelation and last dungeon/area/boss
There is another nation called Solheim, which is probably less important in the overarching story.

Pooya

Insomnia is probably the final dungeon. It makes sense. I don't expect it to be explorable. In Versus days, there were footage of fighting there and the party scene but now in XV, you start already out of the city and can't return to it when you try, so.

Aters

Insomnia is probably the final dungeon. It makes sense. I don't expect it to be explorable. In Versus days, there were footage of fighting there and the party scene but now in XV, you start already out of the city and can't return to it when you try, so.

It's possible, but it can also be kind of lame. As someone else in this thread has pointed out, "reclaim your throne" should not be your final object.

Philippo

There is another nation called Solheim, which is probably less important in the overarching story.

That's true, but i think it won't be physically reachable in the game, just name dropped.
If not, i guess it'll be either before or after Niflheim (maybe the archipelago or the "canyon" area on the map?), but still nothing too big.

It's possible, but it can also be kind of lame. As someone else in this thread has pointed out, "reclaim your throne" should not be your final object.

Yeah, to me it sounds similar to going back to Midgar right before heading to Northern Cave.

Pooya

Sure, there will be some god with wings you have to kill after reclaiming the throne! FF Type-0 or even FF12 come to mind. It's already end game at that point. You're not going to reclaim Insomnia like 20 hours in, then 20 hours after that point fight something else as king I mean.

Aters

Tabata seems to be a huge old FF fan. I'm calling it out now: you will go to another planet/world in the end of game. That's how you make FF great again.

Philippo

Sure, there will be some god with wings you have to kill after reclaiming the throne! FF Type-0 or even FF12 come to mind. It's already end game at that point. You're not going to reclaim Insomnia like 20 hours in, then 20 hours after that point fight something else as king I mean.

Yeah sure, maybe there will just be a final dungeon.

Tabata seems to be a huge old FF fan. I'm calling it out now: you will go to another planet/world in the end of game. That's how you make FF great again.

Noooo please!
Although with Archeans being linked to giant shards coming from the sky i start fearing it

jdstorm

Banned

I mean there are some low level enemies in calderous. There is a level 15 or so sidequest that will take you there, if you are willing to stealth it and run a lot you can go almost everywhere

Top Bottom