• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Oct WiiU Info (NSMBU/NintendoLand) [Don't Post Scans, Even Digital Ones]

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, I suppose it's time the finally placated the "SMW is better than SMB3" crowd with a little SMW-pandering. As long as it's still the high quality gaming of NMSBW, all is well.

(NSMB2 was rather fun, albeit a bit easy. I still don't get the sheer anger towards it everywhere on GAF...)

madmackem

well here's hoping they have online multiplayer for those of us who don't know many gamers. The games look fun, but all seem to require more than one player.

Yeah id love it to be online as not everyone has people around to play local mp.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I am curious about the "depth" for these games -- as in, how many extra levels/stages/challenges are in each?

I'm getting the impression it may be similar to Wii Sports Resort...

So, basically, Nintendo is going "remember when we showed you the new Mario on our new system. Yeah, here we go".

It's basically Super Mario World 3.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Normally I'd be very excited by a SMW-inspired direction... but I feel that it would have to have a fresh new music style/theme to really be that, and I feel like we're destined to get more NSMB crap. Hope I'm wrong.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GAF has indeed come to gradually embrace it. However, after how New SMB 2 turned out, one cannot blame people for still being concerned abot New SMB U.

Well the problem is that people don't know the teams doing the games are different.

RagnarokX

So, basically, Nintendo is going "remember when we showed you the new Mario on our new system. Yeah, here we go".

SMW2 isn't even SMW2. NSMBWii mixed SMB3 and SMW to great effect, and this game seems to follow the same level-design philosophies. So why is NSMBWii getting ignored in this? Because the world map is closer to SMB3 despite being somewhat merged with SMW's map design? Yoshi's Island didn't even have a real map.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Metroïd requiring Montion+ is great. I assume the Zelda game requires it too.

That means M+ is the default wiimote controller on Wii U, it will either be packed in in the console, or bundled with Nintendo Land.

Bodes well for future motion+ support :)

Also, the miiverse competitive feature in Balloon Fight got me. Applied like this, this social feature is awesome, just what I wanted to see.

Wow--I wonder how many people out there in the general public realize that the last time Nintendo launched a system with a sidescrolling Mario title was twenty-one years ago? :eek:

MrT-Tar

NSMBU is shaping up to be the 'New' 2D Mario I've wanted for years, WiiU looks like it will get off to a good start IMO

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta admit, NWMBU is looking hotter and hotter. If they manage to capture the magic and charm of Super Mario World and maintain the quality of NSMBWii, it may be the best 2D Mario ever.

I don't think any first-party MotionPlus games have solely used the IR pointer for aiming, have they?

That's what I'm saying, why would it be M+ required if it only uses the pointer? Is there any other function for it? Perhaps it uses both for aiming?

Either way, I'm glad they are stressing the M+ because it is far better tech than the standard Wiimote. Should have been their from the start of the Wii, and it hopefully gets a new life on the Wii U.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
It all looks so good, but geez that music is really old and annoying now, feels like they're just mailing it in. Why can't they put the effort from Galaxy into the music for this? Sheesh

Yuripaw

Banned

Oh man...I was worried I was wasting my time looking forward to this game, but now some of my fears have been lifted. Even watching the video, I can tell the game is running in HD, and has a real sharp look to it. But also, the backgrounds of that stage look really cool and more detailed than anything we've seen in the previous NSMB games. I can't wait to see what some of the other stages look like!

EDIT: and just watched the other 2 videos...I'm so ready to board the hype train. This game looks so much better than NSMB2 was. The music and level design is much cooler ^_^

Kenka

That Super Mario World vibe will make me buy a WiiU day 1. I need to know how the rest will follow, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That's what I'm saying, why would it be M+ required if it only uses the pointer? Is there any other function for it? Perhaps it uses both for aiming?

Either way, I'm glad they are stressing the M+ because it is far better tech than the standard Wiimote. Should have been their from the start of the Wii, and it hopefully gets a new life on the Wii U.

Skyward Sword solely uses the M+ gyro for pointer-based aiming, and I assume Pikmin 3 is the same. It's something I see people complaining about in regards to Skyward Sword, actually.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Skyward Sword solely uses the M+ gyro for pointer-based aiming, and I assume Pikmin 3 is the same. It's something I see people complaining about in regards to Skyward Sword, actually.
You're right, though I didn't read complaints in Pikmin 3 previews, did they make the aiming more reactive/responsive?

JimboJones

Red Steel 2 uses it to help the IR aiming, I think something to do with help tracking it if you point away from the IR bar.

I think Conduiet 2 uses it aswell, though it's optional in that game.

Qurupeke

Metroid Blast sounds awesome. I want to see Kraid right now. :(

Also, hyped for NSMBU. I really can't decide if I should buy this or Rayman Legends... Wii U has really great platformers...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

It isn't the bar was needed at Nintendos German Post-E3-Event.

eXistor

EDIT: and just watched the other 2 videos...I'm so ready to board the hype train. This game looks so much better than NSMB2 was. The music and level design is much cooler ^_^
Based on what? These few same levels they've shown? Have you played NSMB2, because for all the bitching and moaning that goes on on GAF, it's the best of the three imo. If it's not then a close second to NSMBWii.

I agree that NSMBU looks hot, but let's not beat around the bush, its gonna be more of the same. There's nothing wrong with the level design in NSMB2 is what I'm saying and if you're into Mario platformers at all (who isn't?) it's a must play.

Oersted

Based on what? These few same levels they've shown? Have you played NSMB2, because for all the bitching and moaning that goes on on GAF, it's the best of the three imo. If it's not then a close second to NSMBWii.

I agree that NSMBU looks hot, but let's not beat around the bush, its gonna be more of the same. There's nothing wrong with the level design in NSMB2 is what I'm saying and if you're into Mario platformers at all (who isn't?) it's a must play.

i don´t get this bitching about nsmb2 either. especially compared to the mw2 and mw3 ratings.

Nibel

The 1 million coins reward was bleh, but the game is fine for a handheld Mario

NSMBU will be incredible - mark my words *eats mushroom*

jerd

Game Informer spotted 7 worlds: Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters (tropical), Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert (complete with melting desserts), areas similar to Forest of Illusion and Sky World and a world surround by a tornado

Don't see one where my favorite stage from trailers fits in yet...

http://youtu.be/K4pJnV5OxPI?hd=1&t=43s

large.jpg

I wonder if it is an unrevealed world, a haunted house, or maybe in the Forest of Illusion area...

Hopefully there are a couple of more worlds that they aren't showing off that are really original.

Edit: If you haven't seen this stage before, it looks better in motion, which is why the link is there.

klier

Nintendoland and NSMBU are both day one for me. Pikmin 3 is day -1.

Edit, and the vid above this post looks eally incredible imo! Very, very nice!

Dr.Hadji

Agreed. Coin Rush mode is the best extra in a platformer since before the time we all got used to the fact that these sorts of "linear" games could hide of wealth of secrets. The Goldflower and the Gold Rings are some of the best powers in the series.

zroid

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO,
The new Super Mario U sounds like a real sequel to Mario World that I have been waiting for.

BUT... its going to have that damn New Super Mario"bawp, bawp" SHIT music.

I fear that I will be unable to stomach my way through this.
I really hope they wake up and change the god damned music. How long can they ride the exact same music? Its just getting ridiculous.

Did you even listen? The music is new, both the theme and the instrumentation.

If you don't like the synth vocals -- okay, that's fine -- but it's not like they haven't changed the music (in this game, NSMB2 was a different story). The vocals are part of NSMB's identity now, so as they say:

dwikoopa.gif

Oersted

Don't see one where my favorite stage from trailers fits in yet...

http://youtu.be/K4pJnV5OxPI?hd=1&t=43s

large.jpg

I wonder if it is an unrevealed world, a haunted house, or maybe in the Forest of Illusion area...

Hopefully there are a couple of more worlds that they aren't showing off that are really original.

Edit: If you haven't seen this stage before, it looks better in motion, which is why the link is there.

what is the name of the picture again its referring to?

Fingers crossed for the next Zelda. :)

I wonder why it's required for Metroid Blast, though. From the sounds of it, it's only IR pointing involved.
Zelda will be more interesting with the gamepad. Think of the inventory management, puzzle solving, and minigames that can be achieved for Zelda U

Wouldn't mind a side Zelda being controlled by M+ tho

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yeah, I think I made the right choice in skipping NSMB2 for NSMBU. Sounds really good so far.

NintendoLand sounds like it will be a ton of fun too actually - its status as a 'must buy' title largely depends on what Nintendo are doing with it at launch, though. If it was super cheap and/or came with a controller Wii Play style then I'm on board.

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of verticality to the levels. I loved being able to just run and fly up and find new things in older Mario games, but the New Super Mario Bros. games completely ruined that (although it got back on track with NSMB2, but still not satisfying enough). The linearity of the levels and the lack of exploration are pretty terrible in NSMB1 and Wii, so I really hope they fix this with U.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Like everything we've heard about NSMBU so far, SMW is still my favourite and the map played its part in that. Even the art style seems a lot more tolerable, even nice in places!

NSMB2 just left me totally cold with the coin mechanic, so skipped it.

Top Bottom