• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

TLZ

Banned
I wish people would stop doing this. Dp will never stand for double post but if you are telling is about your sex activities there is a thread for it or perhaps it was just a Freudian slip.

200w.gif

LordKano

Nintendo invented the concept of a game existing on 2 platforms with different hardware power at once , which justifies one being terrible.
I mean look at this post.

Sony is clearly using space magic when horizon on ps4 runs great and looks just as good as the reveal when they could just stop working on the base version and promote the pro. Since you know, the game was announced as a ps4 game but released and marketed when pro is their latest machine.
No wonder nintendo is kicking their ass in the console market.

Are you seriously using Sony as a counter example when they cancelled TLG on PS3 to port it on PS4 ? If they were the ones to release Zelda, the Wii U version would have been cancelled ages so.
At least Nintendo is releasing what they announced.

The spin and defense in this thread is amazing.

No wonder Nintendo is struggling as a hardware dev, they basically have nothing to live up to, no competition and fans give them a pass for everything

Youll find the same people whining about season pass or fps drops in other threads, praising nintendo,

now this shit is okay because nintendo is too ambitious.
hell 15-20fps games are okay because OOT was the same.

The hypocrisy is off the chain

Better back this up with receipts or stop shitposting.

rockx4

Sony is clearly using space magic when horizon on ps4 runs great and looks just as good as the reveal when they could just stop working on the base version and promote the pro. Since you know, the game was announced as a ps4 game but released and marketed when pro is their latest machine.

Their space magic also made The Last Guardian on PS3 amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Apparently I missed the announced that rather than coming with a Master Sword statuette like the Switch version, the Wii U version comes with a tinfoil hat.

scamander

Banned

No wonder Nintendo is struggling as a hardware dev, they basically have nothing to live up to, no competition and fans give them a pass for everything

Youll find the same people whining about season pass or fps drops in other threads, praising nintendo,

The hyperbole is off the chain. I'm sure you played the game, though. /s

Geez, console warriors are just the worst.

Nepenthe

I feel like if the performance were as terrible as this one publication says, everyone else would've mentioned it as well, particularly the people who have pirated it already???....

correojon

Nintendo invented the concept of a game existing on 2 platforms with different hardware power at once , which justifies one being terrible.
I mean look at this post.

Yeah, just like they did with The Last Guardian. Show´em how it´s done Sony!

Edit: damn, rockx4 ;)

Waji

No matter if the game is great. This is a topic about its technical performance for platform it was built for.
Until the decided to not put any feature on the Gamepad and the game became some kind of Switch game that can run on the Wii U : P.

Be careful what you wish for.

Everyone who wanted Nintendo to join the current generation mindset of game design got what they wanted: an open world game with shitty performance. Let's just hope it's not as bad as the impressions say.

Are you seriously using Sony as a counter example when they cancelled TLG on PS3 to port it on PS4 ? If they were the ones to release Zelda, the Wii U version would have been cancelled ages so.
At least Nintendo is releasing what they announced.

If they were the ones to release Zelda it would be a big budget project like uncharted horizon, both of which were released as extremely polished products.

If zelda was niche like tlg , then yeah they would just launch it on a console it would run on.

Are you seriously comparing Zelda's selling power to TLG?
Youd have a point if they cancelled uc4 on ps4 to move to pro but what youre saying is more akin to uc4 being a downgraded mess on ps3 but getting a better running version on ps4.

Nobody is arguing wii u should run the game just like switch.But if they announced zelda for switch they sure as hell owe it to us to deliver a polished product and not screw us over because their hardware failed and now they wanna cash in on the ip's popularity to sell their handheld

Edit: the targeted assault has begun. Cool , ill see myself out. And no im not generalizing, but im not gonna name each and every single one who says those things. If youre oblivious to that fact more power to you.
No point in arguing .
Getting a Wii U was entirely my fault. Wont repeat it.
Bless the people who make emulators.

I mean, watching a stream the Wii u version ran great for the most part.

There where noticeable dips throughout, but it's far from unplayable. Nothing anywhere near blight town on the x360 for example.

If they were the ones to release Zelda it would be a big budget project like uncharted horizon, both of which were released as extremely polished products.

If zelda was niche like tlg , then yeah they would just launch it on a console it would run on.

Are you seriously comparing Zelda's selling power to TLG?
Youd have a point if they cancelled uc4 on ps4 to move to pro but what youre saying is more akin to uc4 being a downgraded mess on ps3 but getting a better running version on ps4.

Nobody is arguing wii u should run the game just like switch.But if they announced zelda for switch they sure as hell owe it to us to deliver a polished product and not screw us over because their hardware failed and now they wanna cash in on the ip's popularity to sell their handheld

Development really isn't that simple. It's very likely that this is the version of Zelda you'd get on the Wii U, switch version or no switch version. They're pushing the hardware and sometimes that means a sacrifice to the performance.

I mean Sony's track record isn't perfect either. I played Bloodborne and that game chugs sometimes.

HeatBoost

On one level I'm like "Man, should I really get the Wii U version if it's worse?" but then I remember that I had minimal problems with say, the PS2 version of Shadow of the Colossus, a game that makes performance people cry tears of blood and vomit obsidian ichor, and I realize it's probably fine

Well, I don't have it, obviously, but I did tune into a number of streams showcasing the Wii U version. All I can say is that it's pretty obvious that it has some severe frame-rate problems. One area that was being shown basically ran at 20fps or lower the entire time.

The times I have played it on Wii U were similar in that regard but I had hoped it was simply unfinished. We'll see.

People should pay attention to this post.

Thanks John.

Nepenthe

No seriously, are we going to ignore the fact that people are watching Wii U streams of the final build and haven't noticed this game-breaking performance, or that something of this scandalous in nature- shitty performance of what's being touted a landmark, generation-defining game- isn't blowing up on other forums and social media outlets? Wouldn't even previews have mentioned it beyond saying "occasional dips " in "an effort to find something wrong?" Would this kind of bait-and-switch even be normal?

I preordered the Wii U version with my own money, so I rightfully have a vested interest in understanding what I will realistically receive come Friday. Instead it seems like most people aren't actually interested in getting to the bottom of this versus hanging a bunch of doom and gloom on this single preview? I mean, I know it's fun to shit on Nintendo and this game in particular, but I would think we'd have higher standards of evidence than this?

Edit: So we at least have one other negative impression from a person who watched the streams.

Development really isn't that simple. It's very likely that this is the version of Zelda you'd get on the Wii U, switch version or no switch version. They're pushing the hardware and sometimes that means a sacrifice to the performance.

I mean Sony's track record isn't perfect either. I played Bloodborne and that game chugs sometimes.

Ive been playing on consoles since i was 5. My issue isnt poor performance, my issues is that its becoming increasingly apparent that the game i held on to the wii u for two years is being borked to sell their new hardware.And despite what people say, my frustration on that end is justified.
Because no matter how much theyre pushing the hardware, I can guarantee you that in world where Wii U wasnt a flop, they would sure as hell find ways to make it run a lot better than it is now.

No seriously, are we going to ignore the fact that people are watching Wii U streams of the final build and haven't noticed this game-breaking performance, or that something of this scandalous in nature- shitty performance of what's being touted a landmark, generation-defining game- isn't blowing up on other forums and social media outlets? Wouldn't even previews have mentioned it beyond saying "occasional dips " in "an effort to find something wrong?" Would this kind of bait-and-switch even be normal?

I preordered the Wii U version with my own money, so I rightfully have a vested interest in understanding what I will realistically receive come Friday. Instead it seems like most people aren't actually interested in getting to the bottom of this versus hanging a bunch of doom and gloom on this single preview? I mean, I know it's fun to shit on Nintendo and this game in particular, but I would think we'd have higher standards of evidence than this?

Edit: So we at least have one other negative impression from a person who watched the streams.

We also have a word from the digital foundry guy

Fredrik

Heh. Would you honestly be surprised if some of the games originally announced as PS4 titles will run better on PS4 Pro and will be quite unpolished on PS4? (maybe just to cash in on the ip's popularity to sell their upgrade)
Haven't we already seen some examples where the performance differ quite a bit?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Edit: the targeted assault has begun. Cool , ill see myself out. And no im not generalizing, but im not gonna name each and every single one who says those things. If youre oblivious to that fact more power to you.
No point in arguing.

Nice.

Posts a bunch of generalisations but the moment people dispute them it's an assault. No point is arguing? More like no point in even having a discussion apparently (or even providing any proof either).

D6OG85u.png

Xdrive05

Guys, I watched a stream of the Wii-U version last night for like 2 hours. It's fucking fine. Jesus Christ. The only places where it obviously choked up to "15-20fps" were like certain camera angles in towns and certain vistas. These are edge cases that don't affect the gameplay in a significant way. Most of the time it ran at a smooth 30, including almost all combat.

Honestly I think Nintendo just doesn't have enough experience with this scope of game to get perfectly stable performance. The Switch really should have no problem at all with this and even it has some slowdowns.

But, again, I was completely enthralled last night watching the Wii-U version. You'll be fine and the framerate won't kill your experience. If I had a Wii-U I would probably just get that version. It's that okay. It really is.

Yukinari

I think if i can survive playing FF15 and Last Guardian which both run worse (and load worse) than BoTW at points then i can survive this game.

Or if you prefer a Nintendo example. Pokemon Sun/Moon which runs like absolute garbage in battles.

Griss

I've played the game for a couple of hours on Wii U. It's fantastic, I love it, I'm glad I bought it, I'm going to buy it again for Switch. My only regret is somehow I fucking signed up for Amazon Prime in the whole process of trying to get it which cost me $100 for something I'll never use, lol.

But having played it - it has serious framerate issues. I rarely if ever notice frame rate issues, but here I notice them quite a lot. The opening area, or anywhere where there's a lot of grass - you're looking a massive sustained dips over the course of 3-5 seconds or more. Feels like it dips below 20 at these times, honestly. Very unresponsive, very stuttery.

Certain other areas tend to be okay and shrines are fine. It's not game breaking, it won't spoil your enjoyment. But it's as bad a framerate I've seen in a game for what feels like years and it requires some getting used to. Not as much, for me, as the IQ - which is truly horrendous. But I'm much more sensitive to IQ than I am to framerate.

Just to give a random example - FFXV in the car on the standard PS4 was bad, but Zelda feels much worse than that.

Wow this is very very disappointing to hear. It was designed first and foremost as a WiiU game so parity in performance was at least expected. Looks like Nintendo has learned the final lesson from their competitors - last gen doesn't fucking matter! If you're a loyal fan who won't shell out day one money for the next console, fuck you!

From the video, it's fine. 720p and some framerate drops, but it's fine. The fact that this is running at all on a last gen console is amazing, and complaining about the Switch version running better is like complaining about the current version of GTA V runnig better than the last gen one.
The game is going to be awesome on both platforms, yes there'll be a worse framerate on Wii U but it'll be perfectly playable and enjoyable.
Also, let's see if there is a day one patch.

Griss

After a decade of whining from the market, Nintendo has answered the call to adopt the best practices of a big modern publisher.

If this is the cost of open world Zelda then it's worth it. I'll take expansive game design over perfect performance any day, and I'll do so with Nintendo, Rockstar, Ubisoft, anyone.

In 10 years time we won't remember a game's framerate, only how it made us feel while playing it.

Nice.

Posts a bunch of generalisations but the moment people dispute them it's an assault. No point is arguing? More like no point in even having a discussion apparently.

D6OG85u.png

the 'discussion' so far has either been pissed off people like me or people downplaying the issue.
If the game performs poorly some people will naturally not be okay with it for several reasons, saying its a non issue because you think its okay doesnt make for a discussion.
And again, im not generalizing , but I am saying exactly what i wrote. That does not mean every one of them does it, or even most. But it happens and i doubt most of the ones accusing me of generalizing dont know that.

Heh. Would you honestly be surprised if some of the games originally announced as PS4 titles will run better on PS4 Pro and will be quite unpolished on PS4? (maybe just to cash in on the ip's popularity to sell their upgrade)
Haven't we already seen some examples where the performance differ quite a bit?

I was just as pissed when they announced the pro expecting the same but I havent seen one single bog ip being treated that way and the state of horizon backs my claim.
Once they stop manufacturing the base ps4 and we start getting poorly running first party games, youll find me just as annoyed and skeptical of my future support towards the company.

AmyS

In addition to the Switch version, I'm still going to get a copy of the Wii U version no matter what. That version is going to be so rare so quickly.

Quonny

Seriously, people are not reading the opinions of those playing actual final versions of the game, and are listening to the pirates having issues with their SD loaders instead
Wait, are you serious? Is the Switch already broken?

Edit: I am an idiot please ignore. Not editing it out. Letting my shame be known.

jett

D-Member
After a decade of whining from the market, Nintendo has answered the call to adopt the best practices of a big modern publisher.

Framerate issues
Season pass
Day one patch
900p

Nintendo has finally entered the next generation!

If this is the cost of open world Zelda then it's worth it. I'll take expansive game design over perfect performance any day, and I'll do so with Nintendo, Rockstar, Ubisoft, anyone.

In 10 years time we won't remember a game's framerate, only how it made us feel while playing it.

In 10 years time we'll be playing the 4K Remaster edition on the Nintendo Shabadoo.

jett

D-Member
Which is funny, because I don't remember 3D zelda's being a bastion of performance.

Skyward Sword, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess all run at a stable 30fps the vast majority of the time as far as I know. BotW is an outlier, where you got slowdown just walking around the field.

Nepenthe

We also have a word from the digital foundry guy

So in effect, three people out of tens of other people- players and publications- who have played the near-final and final versions of the game. Again, why has this failed to blow up before now when we've had the game in is final state floating around for awhile?

This stuff kind of pisses me off as a consumer, because at the end of the day a game is a product with somewhat objective qualities that can thus be reported on with reasonable consistency. If the game really runs like shit, a whole bunch of outlets need to be admonished severely for failing to do their jobs and report a mess of this caliber in their launch previews and final impressions. However, if this really is a bunch of nothing for any reason, then we've got people with an agenda muddying up the expectations of those who have put money and literal years of waiting into this, and that isn't right.

Basically, I feel as a customer I have a right to reasonable and fact-checked reporting so I can know what I'm getting into and how to best spend my time. And the fact is, someone has to be lying. The game can't simultaneously be a mostly stable experience with dips here and there and a sub-optimal piece of shit. And I'm not going to defend it if it's the latter, but at the same time, I expect better fucking reporting and impressions than this, from whichever side is lying.

tkscz

Is web store confirmed? That would be dope.

The webstore works with the Wii U and 3DS (kind of. You can buy it and it'll show up on the eshop as purchased, but it won't download until you get to the system and tell it to).

Nepenthe

I've played the game for a couple of hours on Wii U. It's fantastic, I love it, I'm glad I bought it, I'm going to buy it again for Switch. My only regret is somehow I fucking signed up for Amazon Prime in the whole process of trying to get it which cost me $100 for something I'll never use, lol.

But having played it - it has serious framerate issues. I rarely if ever notice frame rate issues, but here I notice them quite a lot. The opening area, or anywhere where there's a lot of grass - you're looking a massive sustained dips over the course of 3-5 seconds or more. Feels like it dips below 20 at these times, honestly. Very unresponsive, very stuttery.

Certain other areas tend to be okay and shrines are fine. It's not game breaking, it won't spoil your enjoyment. But it's as bad a framerate I've seen in a game for what feels like years and it requires some getting used to. Not as much, for me, as the IQ - which is truly horrendous. But I'm much more sensitive to IQ than I am to framerate.

Just to give a random example - FFXV in the car on the standard PS4 was bad, but Zelda feels much worse than that.

Thank you for your impressions. How often did these dips occur? (I don't particularly care for IQ because I feel you could tell that since even E3, what with pop-in, jaggies, and the like.)

arlucool

Also, let's see if there is a day one patch.

I want to hope this is the case, I badly, really do. Did they addressed XCX performance packs before launch? Or just stealthy put it on the eshop? I remember I knew about them because japanese/import GAF inform us, but don't remember official communication from Nintendo.

wachie

Double standards, where ever they are, are quite funny to witness.

Top Bottom