• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

Having watched videos linked in this thread and elsewhere, I think the Gamekult editor might have been exaggerating those issues in the Wii U version.

Its not perfect (aliasing everywhere and there are frame drops) but he makes it sound a lot worse.

thejpfin

There are few posts in Reddit saying that if you change Wii U display setting to 1080i it helps with the framerate issues.
Interesting if true, can any Gaffers who own the game try it?

ubiblu

People complaining about having to fork out $300 dollars for a new system to play the game in its best format must have a mighty big beef with Sony and the PS4 Pro. At least the Wii U / Switch difference is 4.2 years, as opposed to 3 years between PS4 / PS4 Pro.

And you know what? The Switch is a substantially different device / experience so the value for money proposition is far stronger. The Wii U library is awesome and fully justifies any former purchase; your fault buying it in anticipation for something without a release date in a world of rapid technological evolution.

arlucool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCZNk7EUpM

45 min. of NEW footage of the Plateau, on Wii U.
I'm loving it, haha. My fears for this version has completely dissipated. Can't wait for my copy to arrive, *_*

Edit: I never knew about Wii U's limited RGB settings, so did some calibrating on my TV and well danm, bye-bye wash up colors, hello sexy images.

TLZ

Banned
Playing it now. The art looks really nice and exploration enticing. I must say at times some objects like trees or that church (?) looks like something I'd see on 3DS. Regardless, this is a good game. If this was a locked 1080p30 with AA on the Switch I'd change my mind and get the Switch now. But sadly it isn't so I'm sticking with this.

meirl

Banned
Having watched videos linked in this thread and elsewhere, I think the Gamekult editor might have been exaggerating those issues in the Wii U version.

Its not perfect (aliasing everywhere and there are frame drops) but he makes it sound a lot worse.

Have to agree. Its Not THAT bad

Fredrik

I certainly hope you arent buying a Switch at launch then considering Nintendos last handheld got a revision with a power boost and EXCLUSIVE games like Xenoblade Chronicles which couldnt even run on launch hardware.
I am but it's a lot easier to take when the price is lower and we don't know how OG PS4 will fare in comparison to the OG 3DS yet. Many games announced for OG PS4 hasn't been released yet, maybe FF7R, GTS, GOW etc will have framerate issues on PS4 but run fine on PS4 Pro. Would you be okay with that?

I'm loving it, haha. My fears for this version has completely dissipated. Can't wait for my copy to arrive, *_*

Edit: I never knew about Wii U's limited RGB settings, so did some calibrating on my TV and well danm, bye-bye wash up colors, hello sexy images.

In the OP it sounds, like the game is unplayable..Like PS3 Dark Souls Blight Town. :D

In this youtube video the game looks rather good, I'd say.

Don't see frame drops.

Harmen

People complaining about having to fork out $300 dollars for a new system to play the game in its best format must have a mighty big beef with Sony and the PS4 Pro. At least the Wii U / Switch difference is 4.2 years, as opposed to 3 years between PS4 / PS4 Pro.

And you know what? The Switch is a substantially different device / experience so the value for money proposition is far stronger. The Wii U library is awesome and fully justifies any former purchase; your fault buying it in anticipation for something without a release date in a world of rapid technological evolution.

Except the Ps4/Pro plays the same games (as in the same copy) and the latter version of the ps4 is mainly focused on catering towards people with a 4k screen. Most of the games of Sony themselves tend to run good on the basis PS4, they are not comprimised for a pro mode (just look at Horizon, for example). The games that don't rightfully get plenty of criticism as well (The Last Guardian, for example).

That said, I think the WiiU version of Zelda will be decent enough technically. I am not that sensitive to drops though I can easily perceive them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Which is funny, because I don't remember 3D zelda's being a bastion of performance.

You remember wrong then. All previous 3D Zeldas are basically stable at their target framerates (20fps for the N64 titles, 30fps for the later ones). Some dips in specific situations, sure, but certainly nothing like what we're seeing with this game.

(I don't include the HD remasters here, as I haven't played those.)

scamander

Banned
You remember wrong then. All previous 3D Zeldas are basically stable at their target framerates (20fps for the N64 titles, 30fps for the later ones). Some dips in specific situations, sure, but certainly nothing like what we're seeing with this game.

(I don't include the HD remasters here, as I haven't played those.)

Have you played the 3D remake of Ocarina of Time? Because that was worse.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What. How is going from 20 to 30 FPS worse? I didn't notice a single drop either. Only Majora 3D had framedrops in Termina Field with 3D on the old3DS

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I've played some of it, not the whole game (don't own a 3DS). What I played seemed pretty stable. But I was referring to the original titles, not the remakes/remasters.

scamander

Banned
What. How is going from 20 to 30 FPS worse? I didn't notice a single drop either. Only Majora 3D had framedrops in Termina Field with 3D on the old3DS

I didn't mean the framerate is worse than the original, but that there are framerate drops that are more severe than the ones I've seen in BotW. The battle against Ganondorf comes to mind. I had to turn of 3D iirc. With 3D on it was almost unplayable, because every time he throws energy balls at you, the framerate dropped to single digits, making it almost impossible to get the timing right.

I've played some of it, not the whole game (don't own a 3DS). What I played seemed pretty stable. But I was referring to the original titles, not the remakes/remasters.

fair enough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All the framerate drops are extremely minor. The game performs fairly well on both platforms.

Don't agree. The Wii U version has very noticeable, jarring drops. Switch version seems to have some of those as well, but less frequent.

I didn't mean the framerate is worse than the original, but that there are framerate drops that are more severe than the ones I've seen in BotW. The battle against Ganondorf comes to mind.

That's one of the specific situations in which even the original chugs. But in general it's stable, it doesn't drop jarringly when just running around in the overworld like BotW does (especially on Wii U).

scamander

Banned
I get that framerate drops happen more frequently and not only in certain situations in BotW, but to me it's not as noticeable, because the framerate doesn't drop as hard as in OoT 3D. That was the worst framerate drop I've encountered in any first party Nintendo game since the Gamecube era.

I had no idea the N64 version of OoT had the same problem btw, I've never played it to completion.

Seik

Banned

What a load of bullshit this whole thread has been turning around.

Game seems to look pretty fine, video shows it. o_o

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I get that framerate drops happen more frequently and not only in certain situations in BotW, but to me it's not as noticeable, because the framerate doesn't drop as hard as in OoT 3D. That was the worst framerate drop I've encountered in any first party Nintendo game since the Gamecube era.

I had no idea the N64 version of OoT had the same problem btw, I've never played it to completion.

How bad was it? Because BotW on the U clearly drops to around 20 (it looks like it may actually v-sync down to that as soon as it drops below 30) rather frequently, and sometimes to as low as 15.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's not like it was OP's statement about the game, he was just relaying something... I guess ? :)

Sure. But he made the decision to make a separate thread out of this specific opinion. Do you see any other impression or videos linked in the OP?

Maybe changing this into a general comparison thread between Switch and Wii U version would be more useful as more impressions and video are out there.

Who could have possibly imagined that click-baity hyperbole surrounding a heavily anticipated game turns out to be bollocks and the game is fine afterall ?

scamander

Banned
How bad was it? Because BotW on the U clearly drops to around 20 (it looks like it may actually v-sync down to that as soon as it drops below 30) rather frequently, and sometimes to as low as 15.

From what I remember it was literally single digit with 3D on. Definitely worse than the framedrops I've seen from BotW.

duckroll

Sure. But he made the decision to make a separate thread out of this specific opinion. Do you see any other impression or videos linked in the OP?

Maybe changing this into a general comparison thread between Switch and Wii U version would be more useful as more impressions and video are out there.

Impressions in general indicate poor framerate on the WiiU. It's not terrible all the time, so watching different streams will reflect different results. The person doing comparisons for Digital Foundry has posted in this very thread saying a sample of available footage does indicate severe framerate drops at times, dropping below 20fps.

I like how outraged you are that the OP "vanished" because you want to paint a narrative that there's nothing wrong based on a few new impressions. Check your perspective.

GK_Gats

The game is excellent, i enjoy it a lot but the framerate is sometimes really annoying.
I played around 10 hours, and the two villages i discovered are far under what i would consider a correct framerate. 15-20 fps constantly is not something i call "fine", sorry.
Same for the first stable i went to, which unexplicably lags too coz it's a pretty small place with nothing special going on. But same story, around 20 fps.

So maybe some people here are not sensitive to frame drops, but this game (at least on Wii U, didn't see Switch version) has plenty of them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Impressions in general indicate poor framerate on the WiiU. It's not terrible all the time, so watching different streams will reflect different results. The person doing comparisons for Digital Foundry has posted in this very thread saying a sample of available footage does indicate severe framerate drops at times, dropping below 20fps.

I like how outraged you are that the OP "vanished" because you want to paint a narrative that there's nothing wrong based on a few new impressions. Check your perspective.

I never said there is nothing wrong. Just that the difference between the issues on Switch version and the Wii U version is exaggerated in those comments.

TLZ

Banned
I'm playing it on the Wii U (obviously) and it does have a lot of framedrops, but it's nothing unplayable. It's still feels subtle somehow and I'm still enjoying it. I wish it looked much better on the Switch though. Like 1080 - 4k better. The guys on cemu whenever that works will have a blast.

I can confirm in villages and otherwise areas with a lot going on you'll see drops to sub 20fps briefly. It usually holds 20-30fps in these areas but the weather and amount of things going on at any given time make it drop. Overall it's very playable on Wii U and I think that while severe drops are lame it's barely there and hardly a dealbreaker for a game like this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can confirm in villages and otherwise areas with a lot going on you'll see drops to sub 20fps briefly. It usually holds 20-30fps in these areas but the weather and amount of things going on at any given time make it drop. Overall it's very playable on Wii U and I think that while severe drops are lame it's barely there and hardly a dealbreaker for a game like this.

Dealing with 20fps and sometime even lower every time you enter a village does not sound like fun to me. It might even put me off going to them. I haven't seen any village gameplay from the Switch version (don't want that spoiled), but I sure hope it's better. A previous poster said the U version has similar issues at stables, which does not seem to be the case in the Switch version from what I've seen.

Mithos

Dealing with 20fps and sometime even lower every time you enter a village does not sound like fun to me. It might even put me off going to them. I haven't seen any village gameplay from the Switch version (don't want that spoiled), but I sure hope it's better. A previous poster said the U version has similar issues at stables, which does not seem to be the case in the Switch version from what I've seen.

Settlements in general tanks the Wii U frame rate down to around 20fps, whether or not it stays down there I guess depends on location and weather condition.

When I say brief, I mean seconds before the engine picks it back up again. Under normal conditions, it doesn't drop below 20fps. This is all guesswork on my part and I'd wait for a proper look at both versions to make a serious judgment.

Skyzard

Banned
Any direct feed comparison between WiiU and Switch?

Here's a video comparing the final WiiU build side by side with the Switch version in almost perfect synchrony. They look pretty similar to me. (Very beginning and early areas that have already been shown - so nothing "spoilery.")

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=YQbkBlpJX24 [<<<<------here---------]

And here's a link for approximately an hour of gameplay on the WiiU version (again, nothing beyond the plateau).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDb0VJvikc

I think the WiiU version looks great.

WiiU is missing lens flare :p

I really don't see that much of a difference with the switch tbh. Then again, this is a wii u game ported over to the switch so it should be no surprise.

Tareskog

I bought my WiiU exclusively for Zelda U, when it first got announced at E3 a couple of years ago. Can't justify to spend money on a switch now, so this kinda makes me a sad panda. I was seriously considering buying WiiU version, but this really puts me off.

Skyzard

Banned
Were they even sending out WiiU review copies?

GB said they weren't. The method they used to play the game could affect performance quite negatively. It ran rather well for the first hour or so that I played.

I bought my WiiU exclusively for Zelda U, when it first got announced at E3 a couple of years ago. Can't justify to spend money on a switch now, so this kinda makes me a sad panda. I was seriously considering buying WiiU version, but this really puts me off.
Edge review mentions both have drops, the switch version also drops to low 20s(maybe even lower). There is also that gamexplain video showing switch version dock mode framedrops (to 20s) at the very beginning of the game, wiiu seems to be very similar. Where wiiu struggles, the switch won't be smooth either.
The definitive version will CEMU in a few months.

The kotaku switch review mentions this

" Breath of the Wild looks and performs noticeably worse when plugged into the dock than it does in handheld mode, a potentially worrying indicator of how the Switch’s graphics processing hardware will hold up over time. When I play on the TV, I notice frequent dips below the game’s 30fps frame rate, sometimes to the point that it’s genuinely distracting and makes it harder to play. Any time I’m running in tree-shade on a sunny day in Hyrule, zooming in for a closer view, or moving quickly through the rain, it feels like things drop into at least the 20-25fps zone."

chris121580

Thanks for sharing! I can't lie...I'm downright giddy just seeing this gameplay. The look of the game, the old school sound effects being made more modern...everything about it has that nostalgic feeling but is still new. I feel like this is the Zelda game everyone has been asking for. I can't wait for Friday!

Top Bottom