• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

ViviOggi

I wish people would stop doing this. Dp will never stand for double post but if you are telling is about your sex activities there is a thread for it or perhaps it was just a Freudian slip.

1x

Nepenthe

Different people have different standards.

This isn't about standards. This is about literally no one remarking on continuous, oft-occurring, sustained dips into sub-20 frame rates until the final fucking week before launch. You don't need to have a different opinion on what that means to the experience in order to report that anymore than I need to actually like car sims in order to point out they're fucking car sims. If this is true, how was everyone blindsided? If this is false, why would anyone be shitty enough to do this?

Griss

Thank you for your impressions. How often did these dips occur? (I don't particularly care for IQ because I feel you could tell that since even E3, what with pop-in, jaggies, and the like.)

If you're running through, say, a snowy area? You'll only ever see the odd sutter as you fight a couple of enemies at once or one lobs an explosive barrel at you or something - normal game performance issues, really.

If you're running through a field and grass is being rendered (rather than just a flat green texture which it can sometimes be) then you can have sustained performance below 30fps, and if you fight in an area like that it can go sub-20 (my own 'feeling' of the FPS).

It's a shame because the grassy areas are the most beautiful in the game so far. I want to be clear though that it hasn't affected my enjoyment and I'm no expert at this stuff. It's just super rare that I notice this stuff and I've been noticing it in a big way with this game.

jts

...hate me...
The webstore works with the Wii U and 3DS (kind of. You can buy it and it'll show up on the eshop as purchased, but it won't download until you get to the system and tell it to).
Ah, that's not so bad. I actually didn't know about it at all. Huh. Cool. Hope they get push downloads for the Switch.

Fredrik

I was just as pissed when they announced the pro expecting the same but I havent seen one single bog ip being treated that way and the state of horizon backs my claim.
Once they stop manufacturing the base ps4 and we start getting poorly running first party games, youll find me just as annoyed and skeptical of my future support towards the company.
I understand you but I just thought using Sony as an example was a bit odd. Boost Mode hype nearly got me to jump in but nope I've already bought my PS4 this generation, the whole argument that PS4 was cheap at the launch would be lost if I payed $399x2 for the console. Check DF to see that we're slowly getting shafted for buying the console day 1, we might not be forced to play 20fps games, yet, but seeing others game at 60fps is not making me overly satisfied with the purchase tbh. I could've easily waited if I knew there would be a better one out halfway through the generation. I sure won't be buying PS5 day 1 that's for sure. Fool me once... And MS is about to do the same thing... :(
Sorry for ranting a bit here :/

Salex_

Such as what? Yearly releases? Micro transactions? Generally mediocre and forgettable games?

They're already doing all of that. You're making yourself look bad by trying to shit on non-Nintendo publishers/developers for no reason.

Damn, Griss's impressions sound really dire. Sustained sub-30 fps whenever there's grass? Sub-20 whenever there's a fight in the presence of grass? Dear lord. Maybe Amazon is doing me a favor not shipping my copy on time.

koss424

Damn, Griss's impressions sound really dire. Sustained sub-30 fps whenever there's grass? Sub-20 whenever there's a fight in the presence of grass? Dear lord. Maybe Amazon is doing me a favor not shipping my copy on time.

I watched the French guy's stream last night and it looked fine. People have made opinions sight unseen which is typical for this tyoe of thread.

AmyS

If you're running through, say, a snowy area? You'll only ever see the odd sutter as you fight a couple of enemies at once or one lobs an explosive barrel at you or something - normal game performance issues, really.

If you're running through a field and grass is being rendered (rather than just a flat green texture which it can sometimes be) then you can have sustained performance below 30fps, and if you fight in an area like that it can go sub-20 (my own 'feeling' of the FPS).

It's a shame because the grassy areas are the most beautiful in the game so far. I want to be clear though that it hasn't affected my enjoyment and I'm no expert at this stuff. It's just super rare that I notice this stuff and I've been noticing it in a big way with this game.

Damn, this is depressing.

I understand you but I just thought using Sony as an example was a bit odd. Boost Mode hype nearly got me to jump in but nope I've already bought my PS4 this generation, the whole argument that PS4 was cheap at the launch would be lost if I payed $399x2 for the console. Check DF to see that we're slowly getting shafted for buying the console day 1, we might not be forced to play 20fps games, yet, but seeing others game at 60fps is not making me overly satisfied with the purchase tbh. I could've easily waited if I knew there would be a better one out halfway through the generation. I sure won't be buying PS5 day 1 that's for sure. Fool me once... And MS is about to do the same thing... :(
Sorry for ranting a bit here :/

Ill be completely honest, money isn't exactly even my issue here. Nintendo just screws with me way more than others.
I bought the 360 for the jrpgs and it was a damn good console... loved gears 2, horizon and alan wake...
For xb1, they simply have nothing that im interested in. I will say its improved the most so far.
I assembled a decent pc last year with a 6700k and a 1070 which basically makes buying xb1 pointless.
Hell i even have a pro ill probably end up with a switch before the year ends. But the whole thing they pulled with the wii u makes me furious and i just cant defend it. Worst part is that its not like the switch version is an amazing upgrade either. Its just the one with acceptable one. Its like theyre robbing me of 300 bucks to play the game ive been waiting for so long.

Tambini

The lack of any, even really simple features on the gamepad annoys me more than the game not running as well, especially as we know it used to have them. No reason not to have an inventory or a map on there except to not make the wii u have any benefits over the switch version

scamander

Banned
The webstore works with the Wii U and 3DS (kind of. You can buy it and it'll show up on the eshop as purchased, but it won't download until you get to the system and tell it to).

Ah, that's not so bad. I actually didn't know about it at all. Huh. Cool. Hope they get push downloads for the Switch.

That's actually not true. If you buy something from the webstore, it will download automatically to your 3DS/ Wii U as long as they are in standby and you enabled automatic downloads.

Oh, you said publisher.

Sure, at the system level they're finally moving out of the stone age.

And at the developer level, they've never been in the stone age.

I'm gonna fork out on the WiiU version and if its shit I'll just trade it in. I am pretty sensitive to shit performance but I'll give it a try.

LotusHD

Banned
The lack of any, even really simple features on the gamepad annoys me more than the game not running as well, especially as we know it used to have them. No reason not to have an inventory or a map on there except to not make the wii u have any benefits over the switch version

Was a good enough reason for them lol

RPGCrazied

Really sad to see what happened to the lightning. Wonder why they took it out of both versions. Surely it wasn't that much of a performance hit? And it would make the Wii U version look better even at 720p. Now it seems washed out in a lot of places. Shame.

Fredrik

Ill be completely honest, money isn't exactly even my issue here. Nintendo just screws with me way more than others.
I bought the 360 for the jrpgs and it was a damn good console... loved gears 2, horizon and alan wake...
For xb1, they simply have nothing that im interested in. I will say its improved the most so far.
I assembled a decent pc last year with a 6700k and a 1070 which basically makes buying xb1 pointless.
Hell i even have a pro ill probably end up with a switch before the year ends. But the whole thing they pulled with the wii u makes me furious and i just cant defend it. Worst part is that its not like the switch version is an amazing upgrade either. Its just the one with acceptable one. Its like theyre robbing me of 300 bucks to play the game ive been waiting for so long.
I understand but is it really all that much different from Sony robbing us of 399 bucks to play the games they hyped us with target renders to buy the original PS4? Sure the games run okay on PS4 but they run better on PS4 Pro. Same as with Zelda, it runs on WiiU but it runs better on Switch. The big difference is that it will stop with Zelda with Nintendo but might just keep on getting worse with Sony because of Pro and PS4 coexisting. Will GT, Shenmue, FF7 Remake, God of War etc run just fine on PS4? We'll see. I'm not expecting much tbh, devs like powerful hardwares so the Pro will likely be the target platform going forward and the games will simply be downported to PS4, with varied results.

Clarification from the journalist : https://imgur.com/9tpFXwO

It makes sense that the Plateau has more framerate issues than the other areas considering from what we've seen officially it's the most foliage heavy area of the game (foliage is always computationally expensive).

I imagine the Switch get's better but the Wii U still struggles with certain graphical effects like all the mist in the swamp area we saw at the game awards.

Skyward Sword, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess all run at a stable 30fps the vast majority of the time as far as I know. BotW is an outlier, where you got slowdown just walking around the field.

The only one I haven't finished is Skyward Sword. I certainly don't remember Twilight Princess being that stable, but I'll take your word for it. Still, the N64 ones were definitely not hot in the framerate department.

The Big N

Banned
A friend of mine got an early copy for Wii U and I saw it last night. People are over exaggerating the frame drops. Yes, every once and a while you will see some frames dropped when there is a large amount of enemies and weather effects on the screen. However, I will say a vast majority of the time the game runs and looks amazing. Even when the frames drop its not unplayable or diminishing the experience.

People are panicking for no reason. The Switch version uses better hardware and runs smoother. Just because the Wii U version has a few more frame drops in intense situations doesn't mean the game runs like crap.

PrimeBeef

The only one I haven't finished is Skyward Sword. I certainly don't remember Twilight Princess being that stable, but I'll take your word for it. Still, the N64 ones were definitely not hot in the framerate department.
Yet that stopped no one from enjoying it. I just think people are going a bit overboard here. I've seen plenty of videos of the WiiU version, and none of the serious dips that happen are prolonged nor frequent enough to disturb play. IMO, because I do know some FPS whores who freak out at 59 FPS like its gamebreaking.

PrimeBeef

A friend of mine got an early copy for Wii U and I saw it last night. People are over exaggerating the frame drops. Yes, every once and a while you will see some frames dropped when there is a large amount of enemies and weather effects on the screen. However, I will say a vast majority of the time the game runs and looks amazing. Even when the frames drop its not unplayable or diminishing the experience.

People are panicking for no reason. The Switch version uses better hardware and runs smoother. Just because the Wii U version has a few more frame drops in intense situations doesn't mean the game runs like crap.
DF did an analysis of pre 1.0 gameplay and they said outside of the rare dips in those exact scenarios, it ran stable on both NS and WiiU.

tkscz

That's actually not true. If you buy something from the webstore, it will download automatically to your 3DS/ Wii U as long as they are in standby and you enabled automatic downloads.

Oh, well I was unaware of that. I could've been ordering games from work had I known that.

Coffinhal

Yet that stopped no one from enjoying it. I just think people are going a bit overboard here. I've seen plenty of videos of the WiiU version, and none of the serious dips that happen are prolonged nor frequent enough to disturb play. IMO, because I do know some FPS whores who freak out at 59 FPS like its gamebreaking.

DF did an analysis of pre 1.0 gameplay and they said outside of the rare dips in those exact scenarios, it ran stable on both NS and WiiU.

That's some good damage control here.

Mr Swine

Banned

Sounds good, but how does the handheld mode look compared to the Wii U version since they run at the same res?

yyr

Nintendo is just trying to recreate the experience of playing Ocarina of Time on N64.

I was going to say something similar, but with a different delivery:

Some people here really, really love Ocarina of Time, which ran at a lower framerate than BotW will be at most of the time. Remember, the mentioned performance drops are mainly confined to the plateau area. The rest of the game should run at or near 30, if reports are to be believed.

If we could play through and enjoy Ocarina, why not this? It'll be running better anyway!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Pretty sure frame drops weren't said to be "rare" in the Wii U version. Sounds like you're trying to sugar coat it.

Mokujin

Some hilarious reaction comments in the thread, we just lack "Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)..."

jett

D-Member
This isn't about standards. This is about literally no one remarking on continuous, oft-occurring, sustained dips into sub-20 frame rates until the final fucking week before launch. You don't need to have a different opinion on what that means to the experience in order to report that anymore than I need to actually like car sims in order to point out they're fucking car sims. If this is true, how was everyone blindsided? If this is false, why would anyone be shitty enough to do this?

The only Wii U version people had played before was the E3 build, which is only the plateau. Why would people remark on stuff they haven't seen or played?

ckaneo

Im not sure who you mean by no one
Nintendo sent out review copies of both versions (ignoring youtubers) and in the first review we've gotten they pointed out the framerate drops in the wii u version

The demo versions had drops, and it is well documented the game struggles on the wii u version, 900p docked, and runs fine on switch handheld.

It's not exactly a secret or a blind side

PrimeBeef

Pretty sure frame drops weren't said to be "rare" in the Wii U version. Sounds like you're trying to sugar coat it.

Maybe a bit. But they said it doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the game. We have two reviews that have tested both versions and both gave glowing reviews, both saying that while frame rate issues are present, more so on the WiiU, they felt it did not detract form the over all experience of the game. So take it for what you will. Reviewers, previewers, and tech guys saying it's not a problem, or the handful of people that say it is.

Mendrox

Some hilarious reaction comments in the thread, we just lack "Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)..."

Man there was even someone in the thread who complained that "DP" does not mean "DOUBLE POST", but only "DOUBLE PENETRATION".

The hype is real for the game when people nitpick things from posts like this.

Plateau has horrible framrate, but everything is better after that.

I wish people would stop doing this. Dp will never stand for double post but if you are telling is about your sex activities there is a thread for it or perhaps it was just a Freudian slip.

Jarmel

Banned
The plateau area isn't the only place it dips, although that's probably the worst. Framerate just looks like shit there. Last night on a stream there was a big fight with fire everywhere and the framerate tanked as well.

That said, we don't know how the Switch performs either. The Switch was struggling in the plateau as well.

spekkeh

Banned
It makes sense that the Plateau has more framerate issues than the other areas considering from what we've seen officially it's the most foliage heavy area of the game (foliage is always computationally expensive).

I imagine the Switch get's better but the Wii U still struggles with certain graphical effects like all the mist in the swamp area we saw at the game awards.
Actually I think there are much more foliage heavy parts in the world, but the great plateau, being elevated, simply has to deal with greater draw distances.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Where is the honesty and integrity in this thread?

So many conflicting reports, I can't identify where the exaggerations and lies lie.

Jaymageck

This is interesting. I actually was secretly expecting the Wii U version to be smoother since technically the Wii U is roughly on par with the undocked Switch and I was expecting them to have to get to grips with the Switch hardware further.

This reeks of poor optimization of the Wii U version if true, like they stopped giving a crap about it.

Quonny

Where is the honesty and integrity in this thread?

So many conflicting reports, I can't identify where the exaggerations and lies lie.

Truth is likely in the middle. Probably has some pretty substantial drops in certain areas or at certain times, and occasionally drops some frames into the mid-upper 20s, but overall playable.

DrWong

Pop-ups in that game were horrible too, loading times not really great either. Framerate was fine, that's true. But it wasn't a technical masterpiece either.
It was (or not far away) relative to the hardware. There's no "technical master piece" in absolute. There's nothing in absolute in real life.

ckaneo

This is interesting. I actually was secretly expecting the Wii U version to be smoother since technically the Wii U is roughly on par with the undocked Switch and I was expecting them to have to get to grips with the Switch hardware further.

This reeks of poor optimization of the Wii U version if true, like they stopped giving a crap about it.

So basically you made an incorrect assumption and then when proven wrong you decided doubled down on it instead of just concluding the switch is more powerful...

tkscz

Pop-ups in that game were horrible too, loading times not really great either. Framerate was fine, that's true. But it wasn't a technical masterpiece either.

The game rarely loaded and when it did it wasn't that bad. Zelda has Pop-ins too, (so does Horizon, we're not getting away from pop-ups anytime soon it seems). Xenoblade sacrificed flora (all grass was 2-D sprites) and real time shadows and hi-res texture, did have better aliasing than Zelda though.

Top Bottom