• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameloft's shameless ripoffs - how do they get away with this? [Impressions Thread]

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't mind clones like Grid Wars 2 (Geometry Wars 2) when they are free and have unique gameplay (Bizarre Creations had the developer of it take it down) but companies like this want to bleed some money off established properties. Luckily most of these are games that won't even control well on touch and I'm not buying their PSP minis because there are much better games to play there.

Peterthumpa

I completely HATE Gameloft's strategy on iDevices.

Yes, they're smart because they earn money (a lot) with those shitty-ass clones, but for the hardcore gamer (not that hardcore actually), it's pretty clear how pathetic their games are, ranging from technical issues (FSS, some of their games have framerate problems on the iPhone 4) to completely broken plots on history-driven games.

Games like ZenBound, Galaxy On Fire 2, Real Racing, Rage: MBTV and so on are examples of good efforts on the iDevices.

Gameloft just cashes on established formulas, and do it really badly, and are still doing it just because the majority of iDevices owners are casual and can't see a difference between Hero of Sparta and God of War.

Ocho

felipepl said:
I completely HATE Gameloft's strategy on iDevices.

Yes, they're smart because they earn money (a lot) with those shitty-ass clones, but for the hardcore gamer (not that hardcore actually), it's pretty clear how pathetic their games are, ranging from technical issues (FSS, some of their games have framerate problems on the iPhone 4) to completely broken plots on history-driven games.

Games like ZenBound, Galaxy On Fire 2, Real Racing, Rage: MBTV and so on are examples of good efforts on the iDevices.

Gameloft just cashes on established formulas, and do it really badly, and are still doing it just because the majority of iDevices owners are casual and can't see a difference between Hero of Sparta and God of War.
This.

I don't mind the clones, but their push to do 3D games on a platform that's certainly not ready for that kind of "hardcore" games. Look at id: They know their tech, and how to do a game, and they even know the limits of the iOS platform and how they need to work with it (in making an on rails shooter, for example).

MAtgS

Suddenly I'm morbidly curious how they'd do a KH knock-off. Or MvC or any other crossover based franchise.

Mooreberg

Sean said:
Gangstar: Miami Vindication for iPad (aka GTA Vice City)
mzl.jricgetc.480x480-75.jpg

Subtlety seems to be their second greatest weakness after originality. How blatant can you get? :lol

gogojira

I've stated my distaste for Gameloft numerous times, but most people don't seem to mind. To each their own, I suppose. I actually bit on NOVA one day when it was $1, but I won't be doing that again -- I felt bad for even giving them a buck.

Anasui Kishibe said:
didn't Nintendo sue Time Warp Production's Giana Sisters for looking exactly like SMB? I don't see why it wouldn't happen here

Funnily enough, that game is actually available on the App Store and the DS now :lol

Anyway, this kind of strategy is hardly unique to Gameloft. Games history is absolutely riddled with this sort of thing (and not just video games, look how many Connect 4 ripoffs there are for instance!)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
neojubei said:
That's like saying Sony/Ms/Nintendo should start releasing cheap built-in LCD replicas of their consoles in China to eliminate the shady clone market.

The reason you don't see many games from bigger studios on iTunes is because there's no way for them to make money unless they lower-themselves to ~shovelware budgets that Gameloft uses.

SmokyDave

Y'know, I like Gameloft.

Yeah, their games are unoriginal, that can't be argued, but at least they actually put some effort in and release a decent number of titles on the app store. If other devs feel that they're being 'ripped off', there is nothing stopping them from launching competing products and relying on the strength of their IP to outsell the appropriate Gameloft clone. Outsource them (to Gameloft :lol ) if costs are an issue.

A couple of the games that I've played were actually pretty good. Plus they release them on a format (mobile) that doesn't get as much attention. I see nothing wrong with this.

I do wish Gameloft could be a bit more original but they are filling a slot on the iOS that no one else has really done, some of the bigger fuller games are from gameloft and because of that they sell well and make them money.

EA have battlefield coming but it's not out yet, Real Racing from firemint is as close to a good racer as you get while gameloft's GT racing is an obviously spin/rip off from gran turismo and forza.

RE4 mobile looks bad and is sort of average, gameloft's zombie game feels much better compared to capcom's own efforts.

Some companies hire gameloft to make them games like tom clancy's hawx.

Superfrog

My god, that Uncharted clone is indeed shameless.

eim5uw.jpg

o03q0k.jpg

"Half-tuck" is included too :lol

On a side note, thanks to the most recent price cut I'm currently playing Let's Golf 2 (Everybody's Golf rip-off), and it's actually not bad.

LCfiner

Superfrog said:

http://i52.tinypic.com/eim5uw.jpg[img]

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/o03q0k.jpg[img]

[B]"Half-tuck" is included too :lol
[/B]

[/quote]

I think I actually have more respect for Gameloft now :lol

One thing for sure is that gameloft are good at pushing the limits of the old devices, some of their latest games compared to the ones they released a year ago have a nice visual increase yet still run on the first gen iphones, how much longer that will last no idea.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
RotBot said:
Transmorphers.jpg

Probably the same reason movie studios don't sue over this.
The difference is that the clone movie is probably very different from its parent, movies like this rely more on confusing consumers when making the purchase than accurately emulating the movie they are copying. The gameloft games rely on the person being familiar with the original and recognizing the similarity to the derivative work. If NOVA was a PS3 game you better believe that MS would be gunning for them - and might win.

FoneBone

Fafalada said:
That's like saying Sony/Ms/Nintendo should start releasing cheap built-in LCD replicas of their consoles in China to eliminate the shady clone market.

The reason you don't see many games from bigger studios on iTunes is because there's no way for them to make money unless they lower-themselves to ~shovelware budgets that Gameloft uses.
This. You'd think from some of the reactions here that devs were sitting on a veritable goldmine, but AFAIK the kind of money Gameloft makes is pocket change compared to a successful console product. (Much less risky, obviously...)

Datschge

While their output is definitely shameless I'm getting the impression they have the correct priorities, the games are playable. No idea how many people work there on gameplay design, but in an industry where that knowledge is too easily thrown away a company like this must be a great training place.

Rabbitwork said:
how do activision, ea, thq, and ubisoft get away with the same thing?
they put their games on the 360. 360 gamers don't give a shit what comes through their systems, or if their system is even going to work a week from now.

I have no problem with what Gameloft does. No problem at all.

They step up to the plate where others won't. If big developers are angry that Gameloft is ripping off their game formulas, perhaps they should come in and show them how it’s done. I find it sad that a smaller developer like Gameloft can outdo a big boy like Capcom at their own game (Zombie Infection vs RE4).

Ultimately, at the end of the day I don’t care who had the idea first, I care about who puts together the most polished fun game. Copycat or not that’s what I want to play and will spend my money on.

A lot of the gameloft defense boils down to their games cruising just above the low standards people have for those platforms. That isn't a bad attitude considering the games are cheap and are playable on your phone. The games are good for what they are. It's like how Wii fans like The Conduit because it is an FPS game on a system that (at the time) didn't have much competition; if you put that game on the 360, it would be lost with games like Legendary The Box.

Actually, Gameloft is expanding the systems they put their games on. The PS3 is getting the Diablo-like game and the Modern Warfare-like game on PSN.

Tobor

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I have no problem with what Gameloft does. No problem at all.

They step up to the plate where others won't. If big developers are angry that Gameloft is ripping off their game formulas, perhaps they should come in and show them how it’s done. I find it sad that a smaller developer like Gameloft can outdo a big boy like Capcom at their own game (Zombie Infection vs RE4).

Ultimately, at the end of the day I don’t care who had the idea first, I care about who puts together the most polished fun game. Copycat or not that’s what I want to play and will spend my money on.
Exactly how I feel. Gameloft is making decent games at reasonable prices on the platform I want to play them on. Don't like it? Hire some iOS developers and get busy.

Has any developer ever gone on record complaining about Gameloft?

I bought all theae games for my phone except for the Guitar Hero one.

They are actually all decent titles and are not in violaton of any IP as far as I can see.

What pisses me off is they are starting to poke their toes into the Xbox Indie Games section. I'm afraid that if the blood is good, they will decide to flood and spam it like they have with the phones market.

Imo, indie games need to be for small teams amd companies trying to make a name for themselves. Not multi-million dollar corporations trying to dig in wherever they can. I remember when XBLA was for indies. Boy has that changed.

Sean said:
Well Rockstar (GTA Chinatown Wars) and Activision (CoD Zombies) are officially on the iOS app store so they're not exactly ignoring the market, but Gameloft's titles are closer to the console versions of those games.

Well, most of them are ignoring the Android market for sure so Gameloft has free reign there.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
APF said:
Looks like Tomb Raider with a dude.
Quoting your awesome post so it doesn't go unnoticed.

Also I don't see the problem with this, so this is the same as: Copy one person and you are plagiarizing, copy a lot of people and you are making an investigation.

In this case it is the same; they copy only one game, thus we criticize the, but if they copied more games to do a single one we would love them.

I agree that some games, took something from others, but the mix was a really original game (take Zelda for example); but most games that are praised this generation are just copies of other games and done better.

Oneself

Actually, most of those clones aren't bad at all (for casuals). I am amazed at gameloft's ability to produce so many games in so many different styles in no time. I wish they'd use that talent to do an original IP using all that's good about what they've copied in the past.... next gen maybe.

Peterthumpa

Oneself said:
Actually, most of those clones aren't bad at all (for casuals). I am amazed at gameloft's ability to produce so many games in so many different styles in no time. I wish they'd use that talent to do an original IP using all that's good about what they've copied in the past.... next gen maybe.
That's basically why they all suck. Each. One. Of. Them.

Oneself

felipepl said:

Yeah but I mean, check out the physics in that GTA Vice clone for example, it's pretty spot on even if the game is boring or whatever.

I'm pretty surprised at some of the responses here. I wish the NOVA/HALO breakdown post was in the OP, it's more than "we made a game in that genre too!" it's really blatant piece-by-piece copying. Yeah, the games play well. And sure, these IPs aren't on iOS anyway. But bottom line is that this is pretty shameless and disgusting.

There's no doubt that Gameloft is talented. Even back in highschool I remember playing games like Ghost Recon on N-Gage by them. Killer graphics and real fun on a platform that made that almost impossible. I wish they'd make some more original stuff to show us what they can do, not what games they like.

Oneself said:

When I was in the iOS circle all the games I played from them used the same engine. They all feel the same because they are the same. I can't imagine it's too time consuming to create handheld games when you have the engine and premise already done. Skin it and go.

Superfrog said:

eim5uw.jpg

o03q0k.jpg

"Half-tuck" is included too :lol

On a side note, thanks to the most recent price cut I'm currently playing Let's Golf 2 (Everybody's Golf rip-off), and it's actually not bad.
:lol Uncharted Cell?

This game looks really good for a cell phone game. What's the name of this?

Takao

Banned
poppabk said:
The difference is that the clone movie is probably very different from its parent, movies like this rely more on confusing consumers when making the purchase than accurately emulating the movie they are copying. The gameloft games rely on the person being familiar with the original and recognizing the similarity to the derivative work. If NOVA was a PS3 game you better believe that MS would be gunning for them - and might win.

NOVA is actually headed towards the PlayStation Minis platform, so it will be on PS3...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
felipepl said:

I have to disagree there. Star Battalion was a damn good Star Fox copy that i wish was on consoles but i will take what i can get. I played a bit of NOVA lite free and the controls were very good.

ChunderMan

Living in a one-dimensional world...
Not only do the publishers not seem to be that upset by it, many now hire Gameloft to make official games, because Gameloft's were so good:

UNO
Oregon Trail
Assassin's Creed
Splinter Cell
Brothers in Arms
Shrek Kart
Spider-Man
Iron Man 2
Driver
The Settlers
Terminator
HAWX
Rayman 2
Prince of Persia
etc

ChunderMan said:
Not only do the publishers not seem to be that upset by it, many now hire Gameloft to make official games, because Gameloft's were so good:

UNO
Oregon Trail
Assassin's Creed
Splinter Cell
Brothers in Arms
Shrek Kart
Spider-Man
Iron Man 2
Driver
The Settlers
Terminator
HAWX
Rayman 2
Prince of Persia
etc
Just FYI, for a while Ubi owned a big chunk of Gameloft (which, coincidentally, was founded by Mr. Ubi's brother). Now they have a partnership. The fact that they make all of Ubi's mobile stuff isn't just a coincidence.

I had a Palm Pre and it seemed like a flood of their titles were on it, but I've since switched to a Droid and it's pretty dry of Gameloft games.

Any good ones for Droid worth trying out?

Eccocid

Cromulent_Word said:
Just FYI, for a while Ubi owned a big chunk of Gameloft (which, coincidentally, was founded by Mr. Ubi's brother). Now they have a partnership. The fact that they make all of Ubi's mobile stuff isn't just a coincidence.

If i didnt know that i would assume that Gameloft is a Chinese company lol

Top Bottom