• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepad Stick Symmetry 2014. Will this ever standardise?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't care if the sticks are symmetrical or not, but I hate when the left stick is placed too far from the edge of the controller. Wii U Pro left stick = good, PS4/Google left stick = bad.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was a big fan of asymmetry until the Wii U Pro controller.

At that point I realized I don't care one way or the other, I just don't like Dualshock controllers. Haven't used a DS4 yet so maybe it's better.

I do agree different games work better with different layouts though. There are non-Gamecube games that feel designed for that button layout.

The Beard

Any primate with the intelligence of a 3 year old chimp should be able to use both without much difficulty.

Hey, I find it very difficulty ! I'm like, what the ? Just because I have disposable thumbs dusn't mean I like mooving them all willy nilly.

jem0208

This layout is pretty damn good since you can control the camera through a claw grip on your right hand pretty well.

It's pretty comfortable using claw for right stick camera controls so you can focus more of your effort on the buttons.

Claw on an Asymmetric controller is ridiculously uncomfortable by comparison.

Wtf no. Clawing with your finger on the stick would probably break your finger. You also don't have anywhere near the accuracy required with your finger to control the stick. The thing about the claw is that if you find it comfortable, then you can use the stick and buttons at the same time with the same accuracy as normal.

I really hope the Wii U layout never takes off.

i am honestly shocked by this "claw" thing. i had no idea. i only have a DS4 on hand at the moment, but it's crazy uncomfortable to me.

and that one poster who suggested hitting the bumpers with the fingers still on the triggers? i had no idea about that either.

OT: i used to not care, have come to prefer symmetric. going back to an Xbox controller recently felt very strange. still need to try a Wii U Pro.
It's always felt just as comfortable as normally holding the controller for me. It's the default position I hold the controller for all games now.

It's extremely useful for shooters like Halo as you can perform all the different actions like jumping and melee without compromising accuracy on the stick. It's also basically necessary on games like GTA so you can move the camera whilst sprinting.

Except for comfort reasons, the claw grip is objectively better, not even IMO this time.

Hypron

Seems to me, with games usually requiring thumbs on sticks more than not, this is the 'correct' layout. I still like the DS4 and use a 360 pad on PC, my thumbs can adapt. This one just interests me, is there a way to get it to work on PC?

Really? Do you only play shooters?

Shun

Wtf no. Clawing with your finger on the stick would probably break your finger. You also don't have anywhere near the accuracy required with your finger to control the stick. The thing about the claw is that if you find it comfortable, then you can use the stick and buttons at the same time with the same accuracy as normal.

I really hope the Wii U layout never takes off.

Not everyone plays a shooter, there are other genres which utilise the claw control scheme.

Coming off the PSP and the years endured playing Monster Hunter with a claw set up, the Wii U's analog scheme makes clawing with camera control extremely comfortable and useful.

It's also great for action games and other games that require camera control while locking onto an enemy and using face buttons for attacks.

It was hard as hell doing this shit on a DualShock because of how limited access you have with the lower analog stick.

erawsd

I'm constantly switching between them and the only time I even think about how the sticks are placed is when Im looking at topics like this. The a/b, X/Y thing between the X1 and WiiU controllers does slip me up occasionally.

Clefargle

I was a big fan of asymmetry until the Wii U Pro controller.

At that point I realized I don't care one way or the other, I just don't like Dualshock controllers. Haven't used a DS4 yet so maybe it's better.

I do agree different games work better with different layouts though. There are non-Gamecube games that feel designed for that button layout.

Yeah the Wii U pro controller made a believer out of me. The layout of that controller is fine. Going from the 360 though, I do miss the triggers even though I know that's off topic.

Top Bottom