• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers need to start boycotting Game Companies!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Are you tired of Games that release broken or unfinished?

Are you sick of playing the same games yearly with cut and paste Jobs?

Are you sick of buying a game at launch for full price and not getting the full product 6 months to over a year later from launch?

Boycotts work! Look is what is happening in other sectors of Entertainment. People are sick of the ultra left wing companies shoving their woke agendas into Everything. There has been a backlash that has forced these companies to Listen. Bud Light, Disney, Target are Multi Billion dollar companies who are now losing Billions trying to shove their woke agendas down people's throat. Yes this same logic applies to vidoegames.

You cry every year about Madden sucking but buy it every year? EA does not give a fuck. Keep bitching but if you are buying they have won. You really want to make a difference and force EA to change? Stop buying their garbage product! When the effect of boycotts hit their stocks that is when they really listen.

I am constantly hearing gamers bitch about this company sucks, or this broken thing or that. Yet, at the end of the day people are still buying these companies shitty products and the companies win. If you really want to send a message we should be boycotting these shitty products. Do not support this behavior and make them listen. The only way to make multi billion dollar companies listen to us as the consumer is hit them right in the Wallet.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, I will buy what I want.

giphy.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think most people om here probably do? Are you telling me that people will be lining up to buy Arkane's next game now? I know I won't be pre-ordering The Witcher 4 because of Cyberspunk.

near

Gold Member
This reeks of entitlement. Those that participate in this negative activism and preach hate towards developers, expecting it to be received in good faith, are fucking delusional. A behaviour that begets further toxicity. You're not owed anything. Do you think that these companies are oblivious to the fact that releasing a game in a broken state hurts them not just financially but via reputation? It is better to be hopeful that companies learn and adapt to the climate we're in, rather than boycott them, as it does not benefit the consumer for them to have failed to begin with.

Robb

Gold Member
Gamers boycotting won’t matter because in almost all cases it’s not we who drive sales. It’s the casual players.

This reeks of entitlement. Those that participate in this negative activism and preach hate towards developers, expecting it to be received in good faith, are fucking delusional. A behaviour that begets further toxicity. You're not owed anything. Do you think that these companies are oblivious to the fact that releasing a game in a broken state hurts them not just financially but via reputation? It is better to be hopeful that companies learn and adapt to the climate we're in, rather than boycott them, as it does not benefit the consumer for them to have failed to begin with.

You'd think so, but it keeps happening, so no. Also, I'm owed working products from companies that don't alienate their customers by insulting them or telling them that their worldview is wrong. If that's too much to ask for, it's the company that is entitled, not me.

When it comes to gaming, the best recent example of all of this would be Saints Row. They released a broken game and insulted their fans who questioned the direction of the series. That developer is dead to me. Short of an apology, I'll never buy their games again.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Boycotts (over entertainment, at least) don't work because you can't convince the masses easily to boycott a product they're looking forward to, especially one as infintessimal as a video game. Maybe if it were for a social cause sure, but as seen by Hogwarts even that isn't always foolproof. Even if you hosted a mandatory speech that every person on planet earth were forced to listen to, it wouldn't be enough to convince everyone to not buy the game, especially when reverse psychology exists. You could just as easily BOOST sales as you could negate them.

If you truly want gaming to do better, you need to instead support the indie devs who are up and coming as they will pick up the pieces when the titanic AAA crumble into dust. That doesn't mean boycott AAA but give love to the ones who deserve it. Stop ogling over graphics, framerates, exclusives, and cinematics, and love gaming for the strengths of what it was always meant to be- an interactive medium.
This whole AAA obsession on Neogaf needs to stop.

Last edited:
I'm so disappointed no one posted that Modern Warfare 2 boycott picture, yet.

Edit: Let other people buy crap, it doesn't hurt you. Now what I find really lacking is the rarity of honest, independent reviews and info on these releases. Positives should be celebrated and made widely known instead of focusing on all the drama. For example, FF XVI seems to release polished and without any day one update or DLC/MTX BS.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
You'd think so, but it keeps happening, so no. Also, I'm owed working products from companies that don't alienate their customers by insulting them or telling them that their worldview is wrong. If that's too much to ask for, it's the company that is entitled, not me.
It happens for a variety of reasons. I'm not defending the practise of companies releasing unpolished games, but the notion that they must be subjected to your standards is nonsense. Do buy the game, it's that easy. Today, you have Digital Foundry, and reviews that tear a game apart before it even reaches your screen. You have the option to avoid.

cireza

How about buying what you think is worth your money and moving on with your life ? You don't have to convince others of doing the same thing as you.

You have the right to think that the majority of people are dumb if they support whatever game or franchise, however you also have to accept living in a world where people don't have the same standards as you, and you cannot enforce your own opinion.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
What's that?
it's market cap, which is a really dumb and horrible way to frame this thing, but Bud Light's marketshare is down almost 30% year-over-year and the numbers are going down by the week. They're offering to buy back unsold beer from distributors and everyone who thought this would just blow over is now acknowledging that it's not.

Similar to what I just said, if you want piss light beer, there are plenty of options. You don't NEED Bud Light if you don't like what they are doing.

It does, though.
If you want these troubled releases to be better, yes. If you pick and choose from the trillions of games out there, you can just avoid to play the next big thing marketing wants you to preorder. If you're willing to let go of the franchises that are affected by this development, it doesn't affect you. In fact, people buying crap makes it easier for those publishers to continue releasing stuff (among which maybe there's one or two games that aren't shit, too)

Fuz

Banned
it's market cap, which is a really dumb and horrible way to frame this thing, but Bud Light's marketshare is down almost 30% year-over-year and the numbers are going down by the week. They're offering to buy back unsold beer from distributors and everyone who thought this would just blow over is now acknowledging that it's not.

Similar to what I just said, if you want piss light beer, there are plenty of options. You don't NEED Bud Light if you don't like what they are doing.
Yeah ok, but why?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Boycotters are too weak. They scream on forums and twittard that they are boycotting a company or game, and as soon the game from that company releases they buy it day 1.

This is it, if people didn't feel they needed to play things on release day, it'd be no issue.

For the OP in this thread - just don't play things until you think it's been patched/updated/fixed to a level you will be happy with.

I've stopped buying stuff day one if I doubt it'll be released in a good state.

It's pretty easy for everyone to do. You don't need to arrange a boycott.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Disney has lost nearly $100million dollars in market value over the last few years, Bud Light is down over $20billion since the Dylan controversy, and Target is down over $10billion since they started targeting Satanic lqbtqia clothes for kids. The consumer dollar trumps all.

LOL

clown grave GIF

marquimvfs

Well, I didn't buy anything from EA since Mass Effect 2, nor anything from Ubisoft since Splinter Cell Conviction. But, I wouldn't call myself a boycotter, as much as I hate those companies, is easy enough to ignore them, since their further games weren't appealing to me. Boycott means sacrifice, and I hate others companies too, but I'm not inclined to ignore them, like Activision (I love Crash Bandicoot, also like some of theirs parent companies games, will definitely buy Diablo 4 at launch, since the beta provided me the info I needed to know about the game being good or not). That said, I do not tend to buy games without enough information about its qualities... I almost never pre-order oe buy things at launch (the last game I brought at launch was Tekken Tag Tournament 2).

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I just cant believe how fucked up people are. Boycotting for selling pride clothes in a tiny section of a huge store or giving someone a personalized six pack is fucking pathetic. There is nothing noble about it. It is just cry baby bigots banding together because seeing a trans person triggers them. This has nothing to do with games.

I went to the park in Baltimore today and saw a gay couple cuddling and a trans dude taking his/her/their kids to the park. The only people with agendas were these weird Muslims at a conference trying to recruit people and they were perfectly fine with me saying I am not interested. Really it is just people being people, and getting bothered by that is not honorable, it is sick.

oji-san

Banned
Why the need to post it? There's some devs that let you down? Then don't buy their games, or wait for it to be cheap enough to be worth it. This always was true and nothing new..
Not sure what is happening to folks recently but there's some rage going on like they stole your baby or something.. Nothing new is going on.. there's sometimes bad games and if you got "burned" by some game dev then look out next time no big deal about it. :)

Top Bottom