• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games accurate about real-life material (aka Trauma Team is awesome)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Isn't there MedGAF somewhere? LawGAF is infested with Americans actually :p

Anyway, does anyone know if whether you can play Wii discs region-free on the Wii U? I have my Australian WiiU in Japan for some reason and want to know if I can pick stuff up from the second hand stores or what.

There's a med-GAF for med students and MD's in the OT somewhere.

Medical students, unite! I need to pick up this game, I never knew it was somewhat true to the source material.

Miker

Medical students, unite! I need to pick up this game, I never knew it was somewhat true to the source material.

It's only true for diagnosis sections. Surgery is kind of stylized and oddly enough, neon-colored. Apparently the first game had more realistic guts'n'gore.

Teggy

And move onto reviewing laboratory results:
bFJ9DhY.jpg

Anybody who's past first year of medical school should guess this diagnosis just by these numbers.

But I am not a doctor! What's wrong with this poor girl?!

Mailbox

Gotta love how this tread was supposed to be about games that do things in a more irl way, but ended up being about trauma team (which is now on my to buy list)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Trauma Team was my Wii GOTY when it came out. Yes, it edged out SMG2 for me.

My favorite parts were the more adventure game type modes, diagnostics and forensics.

Miker

I'm guessing you're not serious, but just for fun, it's
MEN type 1 - you can tell by the elevated prolactin (pituitary adenoma), elevated calcium (hyperparathyroidism), and pancreatic tumors with elevated gastrin (likely Zollinger-Ellison), and elastase.

Teggy

MEN type 1 - you can tell by the elevated prolactin (pituitary adenoma), elevated calcium (hyperparathyroidism), and pancreatic tumors with elevated gastrin (likely Zollinger-Ellison), and elastase.

Well I was serious in that I am not a doctor and I was curious about the diagnosis.

ASIS

Pfft you don't need a doctor to read that chart! look, the measured colors of LAP and y-GTP are different, so obviously she has WhyGTPLaptosis.

I'm not a doctor

or that.

I should find a copy and send it to my friend, who's a doctor and a Wii owner.

A bit disappointed with the co-op in Trauma Team. New Blood had great co-op. Drawing a star in that game was nearly impossible though.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Love the series to death I do, but I wouldn't call it realistic. Nor does it have to be. But compared to most games it does indeed give that impression because it dares to be its own thing, and that should be praised at any opportunity.

Also, if we're gonna talk realism, endoscopy is secretly the best mode.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sorry for double posting, but another underappreciated game that excels in the realism and immersion department (happens to be on Wii as well):

Endless Ocean Blue World

I'm on a phone so I can't post images or link to a thread, but together with the Trauma games and a handful of others, this was one of the few games that actually delivered on Wii's promise of more realism, better immersion and greater diversity through new interfaces.

squall23

Trauma Team was my Wii GOTY when it came out. Yes, it edged out SMG2 for me.

My favorite parts were the more adventure game type modes, diagnostics and forensics.
Wasn't 2010 full of really good Wii games in NA? I could have sworn it was really hard for me to choose which Wii game was my favourite that year.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Assassin's Creed 2 - the Borgia were actually templars after a hologram device and the pope's staff so that they could enter a secret chamber below the Vatican made by aliens.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wasn't 2010 full of really good Wii games in NA? I could have sworn it was really hard for me to choose which Wii game was my favourite that year.
Yep, 2010 was the only year Wii really shined. The US got Sky Crawlers, Endless Ocean 2, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Fragile Dreams, Monster Hunter Tri, Mario Galaxy 2, Trauma Team, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Xenoblade (for those who imported from Europe like myself), New Play Control Pikmin 2, NBA Jam, Sonic Colors, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey ( :/ ), and GoldenEye 007.

Mesoian

Trama team is great, but let's not get it twisted, there is a lot of dumb anime bullshit in it. Like the director of the unit who communes with the dead in order to assist with diagnonses.

Every character has ghost problems. Every one.

It is a silly game. A fun game, but a silly game.

Seik

Banned
I can't wrap my head around the fact the we're probably not seeing any game from this series ever again.

It was brilliant, original and educative (at specific moments, not all around).

I'll probably give it a go tonight between two Smash fights...

:(

I can't wait to play trauma team, one of the reasons I picked up a wii u as I never really finished it.

Finished under the knife and fuck final sin, made me want a pure doctor game without those crazy diseases.

Loved, loved the Trauma series. At the time I thought it was kind of weird (but I was still delighted) that Atlus was spending some of its very limited development resources on such a very niche franchise (5 SKU's altogether), and that said platform exclusive niche franchise was successful enough to sustain multiple installments. One of those happy accidents of video game history I suppose.

Was Afrika any good? I keep meaning to give that try, seems like its be in my wheelhouse.

61E%2BRmMnmRL.jpg

I only played the very first game when it came to europe in 2006 (that was 8 years ago...holy shit....)

And liked what I played. Really have to get the others abd Import Trauma Team.

Could someone explain the differences between the second DS and the first Wii game ?

Which one is the version to get ?

Verelios

I'm still stuck on Trauma Center's Final Sin. It was honestly too bad for my heart and life.

Great game. Wish I could complete it though.

jbueno

Woah, didn´t realize Trauma Team was like that. I didn´t really like the original Trauma Center on DS mostly because of that alien shit. That seems right up my alley as a Resident of Internal Medicine!

Doesn't every Trauma Center game eventually go into full-on anime mode and introduce alien viruses and demons that you have to operate on? I remember playing the original on DS thinking it was close to what doctors go through and then they introduced GUILT.

D-Man

Trauma Team is my favorite game in the series and I really wish it got more attention. Hell, I just want the Trauma series in general to get more love.

tirminyl

I love this series. Takes me back to a friend and I spending an entire day doing co-op. We didn't realize how bad we were until we looked at videos on YouTube and saw there was an s-rank.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Doesn't every Trauma Center game eventually go into full-on anime mode and introduce alien viruses and demons that you have to operate on? I remember playing the original on DS thinking it was close to what doctors go through and then they introduced GUILT.

Trauma Team doesn't play into that stuff near as heavily. Trauma Center is more of an action-puzzler, but Trauma Team definitely tilts more doctor simulator.

Miker

I just finished Trauma Team over the weekend, and I can confirm, yes, it goes waaaaaay off the rails in the later third. Ghosts. Ghosts everywhere. A comically absurd disease vector. And a super virus in the same family as Ebola - Trauma Team is always topical, if nothing else. Still, I guess weren't any aliens.

And w/ respect to my OP - the diagnoses stay mostly realistic in late game. Kind of. You diagnose tons of random cancers, and those findings/labs/etc remain realistic, but those cancers can somehow all be traced to a single virus, which is absolute bullshit.

Kazerei

Banned
Portal 2 ending spoilers

The time it takes for the portal to reach the moon is the time it takes light to travel there

I just finished Trauma Team over the weekend, and I can confirm, yes, it goes waaaaaay off the rails in the later third. Ghosts. Ghosts everywhere. A comically absurd disease vector. And a super virus in the same family as Ebola - Trauma Team is always topical, if nothing else. Still, I guess weren't any aliens.

And w/ respect to my OP - the diagnoses stay mostly realistic in late game. Kind of. You diagnose tons of random cancers, and those findings/labs/etc remain realistic, but those cancers can somehow all be traced to a single virus, which is absolute bullshit.

I just wish the Trauma Center games stuck to realistic surgery a little more. It's been a while since I played Trauma Team, and I remember it being pretty good on this point, but the first Trauma Center had you doing two or three realistic surgeries before it became entirely sci-fi bullshit. It kind of killed most of the appeal of the game for me. It was such a amazing premise for a touch screen game in the early days of the DS.

Top Bottom