• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games accurate about real-life material (aka Trauma Team is awesome)

Miker

3LhpU1B.jpg

Six doctors. Six specialties.

So I'm playing through Trauma Team right now, and thoroughly enjoying the wacky Japanese hospital drama hijinks. I'm a student in medical school right now, and the game has really surprised me with how good the diagnosis sections are from a medical perspective.

Of course, it's not perfect, but for an Atlus-developed Wii game starring an amnesiac super-surgeon, an orthopedic surgeon who's also a superhero, Dr. Chie, Dr. Yukiko, anime House, and a CSI lady who speaks to the dead, Trauma Team is legitimately on-point about the diseases and the medicine behind them, and doesn't pull any punches with terminology. That said, I haven't finished it yet, and I hear it goes off the rails later. Anyway, here's how the game works.

You start out with the interview:
NacpCap.jpg

What brings you in today?

Then you move onto the physical exam:
bnBaKoG.jpg

Soft, non-distended, not tender to palpation w/ normal bowel sounds

Don't forget to listen to heart/lungs/abdomen:
Nt2RE6L.jpg

Gurgle gurgle

And move onto reviewing laboratory results:
bFJ9DhY.jpg

Anybody who's past first year of medical school should guess this diagnosis just by these numbers.

There are also real X-rays, CTs, MRIs, and more!
EPuDeDn.jpg

An internist who reads his own imaging! Dr. Cunningham is a dying breed.

Check the differential diagnoses the game has picked out, and match up the symptoms:
TBUa1FA.jpg

Sweet, sweet jargon.

Diagnose that shit.
IAyLfiA.jpg

Like being a real doctor, but with more whooshing sound effects.

The actual gameplay boils down to spot-the-differences, and that's to be expected with the layout. But still, it uses real medical terms! Real medical images! Real medical diseases! You get to read EKGs! You look at echocardiograms and scintigraphy! It probably went over most players' heads, but for me, it was totally awesome that Atlus put this much effort into the diagnosis sections of the game.

Any other games that show a similar respect for their real-life source material? Nah, probably not - let's continue gushing about Trauma Team by revisiting EmCeeGamr's excellent sadpreciation thread.

Jintor

Phoenix wright is absolutely terrible at being an irl lawyer.

That bastard inspired me to go do law and it was all lies I tell you

Of course it's all deliberate and makes no pretenses but still

Vylash

Endoscopy sections aside, Trauma Team is so amazing. So of course nobody bought it and the series is most likely dead

/videogames/

Memles

I'll never forget the time one of my residents—I was an RA—who was a former field medic played Trauma Center and had the most perfect stitches.

Miker

I'll never forget the time one of my residents—I was an RA—who was a former field medic played Trauma Center and had the most perfect stitches.

Stitches are one of the most lenient things in the game, grading-wise. You can fuck up pretty badly and still get a COOL.

Dryk

I've love to gush about Trauma Team... but it was never released in my region so I couldn't play it

JC Lately

Oh shit trauma team. That game was sogood.gif. The plot made no damn sense, especially once the Rosalia part kicks in but that somehow made it even better.

Stitches are one of the most lenient things in the game, grading-wise. You can fuck up pretty badly and still get a COOL.

Ha ha, I remember in the first Trauma Center literally making the messiest scribble over the cavity in a fraction of a second and getting a Cool. It was practically required to do it that way to get an S rank.

Jintor

You seem like a cool person

I mean the legal system is fundamentally broken in that game as is (resemblance to actual Japanese legal system notwithstanding) and who even knows how their legislature functions. But in any case you don't spend nearly enough time in ace attorney filling affidavits or appealing bullshit

Amir0x

Banned
I never played Trauma Team, I don't think. I came into the thread thinking it was about this (picture taken around Wii launch lol)

amir0xpartofproblemtrhaxnc.jpg

but then realized I never played this game.

Is this a lot better than Trauma Center? I had issues with Trauma Center, but it was pretty decent. Just didn't think the wiimote implementation was all there yet in the controls, lots of frustration tryin' to get the higher ranks which I didn't have issues with on DS.

Aeana

I never played Trauma Team, I don't think. I came into the thread thinking it was about this (picture taken around Wii launch lol)

http://abload.de/img/amir0xpartofproblemtrhaxnc.jpg[img]

but then realized I never played this game.

Is this a lot better than Trauma Center?[/QUOTE]

Well, it's different. Trauma Team gives you six disciplines to work with, not just surgery. Some are better than others. It's much more varied than Trauma Center, that's for sure. It even has a fully-fledged forensics/detective type game in one of the disciplines.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, it's different. Trauma Team gives you six disciplines to work with, not just surgery. Some are better than others. It's much more varied than Trauma Center, that's for sure. It even has a fully-fledged forensics/detective type game in one of the disciplines.

Do you switch freely between them or do you like select a specialization and go through the game with it or?

Aeana

Do you switch freely between them or do you like select a specialization and go through the game with it or?

The mission select screen lays them out in parallel, based on where the 'events' for each discipline occurs in the timeline. Each discipline is the story of a particular character, and they all play out in parallel. I played them by moving across each discipline before moving ahead in time, so that I didn't get too far ahead in any one character's story, worked really well to keep everything varied.

mr_chun

I love the Trauma Center series. The co-op in New Blood was awesome, played it with my wife. Trauma Team was particularly astounding, though I had a lot of trouble with a few sections - the endoscopy levels, I think.

Amir0x

Banned
The mission select screen lays them out in parallel, based on where the 'events' for each discipline occurs in the timeline. Each discipline is the story of a particular character, and they all play out in parallel. I played them by moving across each discipline before moving ahead in time, so that I didn't get too far ahead in any one character's story, worked really well to keep everything varied.

Sounds fun, maybe I'll try it

Oh, it's 21 dollars and ships from Amazon.com! Nice, thought I'd be hunting.

Miker

My chief complaint about endoscopy is the awkward tool selection by pressing C, picking a tool, then pressing C to confirm. It made everything so awkward compared to surgery, and I don't know why you can't hold C and tilt the stick, then let go to confirm.

onanie

Hmm I must have played Trauma Center in the past, rather than Trauma Team. I don't remember having had the opportunity to take a history, look at patient biochemistry and pick from a list of differentials.

Mexen

Big Boss inspired me to be a bad ass. I'll tell you now that two working eyes are better than one.

Munkybhai

I bought this game when I was a med student too, and I kept thinking that if they had USMLE questions made using this engine, it would make studying for the tests so much more accessible and fun. I loved the diagnosis sections the most. Guess who became an internist, haha.

Miker

I bought this game when I was a med student too, and I kept thinking that if they had USMLE questions made using this engine, it would make studying for the tests so much more accessible and fun. I loved the diagnosis sections the most. Guess who became an internist, haha.

My man. I think we're probably alone, though - I can see how the diagnosis sections might be boring for most players, and this thread is to kind of explain why they're actually great.

Aeana

The music in Trauma Team was also composed mostly by Ryota Kozuka, the same person who composed SMT4's music (and the reason why I was so optimistic about SMT4's soundtrack heading into that game). It is sooo good.

Quoting a post of mine from another thread a while back:

Just pulling from the Trauma Team soundtrack at the moment, some of my favorites:

Sense of Helplessness
Light and Shadow
One Disaster After Another
Glimpse of Fear
Pandemic
Spread of Rosalia

He also did the new Soul Hackers 3DS opening song.

I really think he's going to do a great job with SMT4.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn that Light and Shadow track is hype so far.

I always loved that music in Trauma Center when the heart is beating in the background and it's getting real tense? I think it's called Code Blue. Made me sweat so hard tryin' to get them S ranks

Memles

I knew this—I'd been playing and making a mess. His were note perfect, though, an attention to detail that the game was never demanding.

randomkid

My man. I think we're probably alone, though - I can see how the diagnosis sections might be boring for most players, and this thread is to kind of explain why they're actually great.

Diagnosis was my favorite. Here I'll quote myself:

Oh hey, everyone likes lists so here are my LTTP observations organized in helpful countdown form.

#1 Diagnostics is the best part of the game, it’s perfectly paced and I feel like this is what Trauma Team is really about because it does the best job of making you feel like a doctor. The actor playing Gabe has a lot of fun with his performance, and the game segments have really neat variety.

Specifically, you’ve got six major tasks to do:

questioning patients,
using the stethoscope to listen for differences during auscultation (best use of wiimote speaker ever!),
visual inspection of the patient,
image analysis (using real mri, ct, ultrasound and xray images instead of more cartoonish ones was such a good decision, draws you in so much more and really makes you feel like you're playing doctor)
examining bloodwork results
dragging symptoms in the computer to make your diagnosis (this is so oddly satisfying I can’t even tell you why).

The key here is that you never spend TOO long doing any one task, you’re always switching and things are kept snappy

Good to know what I was picking up on seems cool to real life doctors too!

Jintor

There appears to be a surprising overrepresentation of doctors on neogaf, or maybe I'm just seeing things.

Isn't there MedGAF somewhere? LawGAF is infested with Americans actually :p

Anyway, does anyone know if whether you can play Wii discs region-free on the Wii U? I have my Australian WiiU in Japan for some reason and want to know if I can pick stuff up from the second hand stores or what.

Trauma Team is so goddamn good, and likely my favorite Wii game. I first played it during my freshman year of college, living in an apartment with two of my closest friends. We tore through it together, what an awesome experience.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mass Effect 3. Sometimes in life, you feel like no matter how much good or bad you do, or how many good or bad decisions you make, life keeps pushing you towards the same conclusions.

never played trauma team, i should try it! Trauma center was really bad, cliché and ridiculous so that's why maybe i didn't bother to check the other game!!

Top Bottom