• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

kuYuri

Where do the various Dawn of War 2 titles go in this case? They still use GFWL do they not?

Otherwise, I hope the communities form up around games that are left out in the cold.
This doesn't effect games through the marketplace that don't use GFWL though, right? ...Fuck it, i'm backing up AoE3 just in case.

Only Dawn of War II and the expansion Chaos Rising use GFWL. Retribution went Steamworks.

To my knowledge ShadowRun uses peer-to-peer servers on both Windows and Xbox360. Is this game safe when GFWL dies?

Well, it can probably be played offline with bots and LAN, but online functions for PC players will be gone once GFWL is shut down.

Grief.exe

Not to play devil's advocate or anything, but anyone else think this can be interpreted as being bad news in a way? Yes, it's great that GFWL is dead, but this also potentially means that Microsoft is no longer going to be bringing ANY of their Triple-A exclusives to the PC platform at all. Let's look back at Microsoft's history, they have a track record of always wanting to control the user's experience, hence making GFWL a required feature of all their exclusives. With the binning of GFWL though, they can no longer control the user's experience and force them into the Microsoft ecosystem anymore, which would mean they have no incentive to release any of their big-budget exclusives on PC anymore either.

Microsoft gave up releasing AAA franchises on PC with the Gears of War and Halo 2 release numbers.

Of course, both titles were riddled with horrible DRM, pay for multiplayer, and Halo 2 required Vista.
Microsoft, and Epic, blamed consumers and we haven't seen anything since.

Genius couple of companies right there.

9FfMG2t.gif

owasog

Red Faction Guerrilla Singleplayer seems to work just fine with an Offline account. Can't do it with Bulletstorm though...

Teknoman

I mourn the loss of Darksouls online but celebrate the fact that Darksouls 2 is almost certain to be Steamworks.

Thats still going to seriously suck for those that havent finish Dark Souls or are late to the party. Even save files arent loaded when you arent signed in.

Melted77

Tried a few games. GTA4, Iron Brigade, and Red Faction Guerilla allow you to play with offline accounts. Toy Soldiers and Fallout 3 allow you to bypass GFWL entirely.

Syf

Banned
Awesome news for PC gaming. GFWL was a terrible concept. I feel bad for those whose games are affected by the upcoming service outage though. This sort of thing is exactly why I'm going to have a hard time ever trusting Microsoft as a gaming company again. They have no trouble flipping a switch even if it means screwing over their customers.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thats still going to seriously suck for those that havent finish Dark Souls or are late to the party. Even save files arent loaded when you arent signed in.

Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?

SHIT

Another giant middle finger from MS.. assholes.

I wouldn't be surprised if From Software and Namco Bandai are planning to move Dark Souls to Steamworks. It'd be a shame to see the definitive version of the game completely disappear.

I doubt Dark souls will get a big netcode overhaul to have online work without it, but they sure as hell better patch it so that single player remains unaffected. Not only would it be a defective product, they'd lose out on lots of potential sales after people play the sequel.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
MS should fund any costs developers would incur from switching to Steamworks. Not fair if they should have pay to fix GFWL's mess.

They won't, of course.

RhyDin

Wait, I skipped SSF:IV on the Steam sale because I own the G4WL copy.

Does this mean I can't purchase the Ultra Super Street Fighter IV upgrade and save some money now - because I won't be able to play online?

The keys weren't (to my knowledge) interchangeable with the Steam keys, but allowed for cross online play. So, uh. Now what.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wouldn't be surprised if From Software and Namco Bandai are planning to move Dark Souls to Steamworks. It'd be a shame to see the definitive version of the game completely disappear.

Maybe it's time for a mortimer campaign.

Does anyone know twitter names for folks at From Software..

This is all I got

@DarkSoulsGame

I'm not sure if that is an official account though.

scitek

Red Faction Guerrilla Singleplayer seems to work just fine with an Offline account. Can't do it with Bulletstorm though...

I was just able to play Bulletstorm without an internet connection. Of course, it's already installed and everything. There's no telling how it'll act once GFWL's actually shut down and I decide to reformat.

I agree and it's the only reason I never double dipped and bought it on steam even with recently building a gaming PC and being able to run the game at 60 fps.I played through it on my xbox before I sold it. I'll just be patient and wait for part 2 with Steamworks.

BadAss2961

Fucking Microsoft. This is actually shitty news because GFWL was all but dead anyway and no longer acquiring games. I guess we see why now.

Some of my favorite multiplayers will be killed because of this.

Simply write an email to Namco and ask if they got any plans patching out GFWL from Dark Souls now that Microsoft is shutting down its service.
Worth a try.

Cobra84

MS should fund any costs developers would incur from switching to Steamworks. Not fair if they should have pay to fix GFWL's mess.

They won't, of course.

Devs should be forced to switch to steamworks, pay for it themselves, and credit everyone $5 per game for dealing with this crap they included in their lazy ports from the 360.

Hutty211

This is really scary for everyone pledging to go "full digital" next generation. One of the biggest companies in the world, not even one based solely in the incredibly fickle industry of videogame publishing/developing, cant guarantee all that money you spent. I purchased ~5 games through GFWL figuring that MS was a safe a bet as any and now that's gone.

This is really scary for everyone pledging to go "full digital" next generation. One of the biggest companies in the world, not even one based solely in the incredibly fickle industry of videogame publishing/developing, cant guarantee all that money you spent. I purchased ~5 games through GFWL figuring that MS was a safe a bet as any and now that's gone.

It was a terrible service from the beginning though. It was never a safe bet.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And people said an online only xbox one was nothing to worry about.

vg260

It would be fine if it just wasn't used anymore, but killing a bunch of games sucks, so the celebration is a little empty. I doubt publishers are gonna have or want to spend the resources to convert them to Steam. MS better have some some program in place to help salvage some of these games for publishers.

Wait, I skipped SSF:IV on the Steam sale because I own the G4WL copy.

Does this mean I can't purchase the Ultra Super Street Fighter IV upgrade and save some money now - because I won't be able to play online?

The keys weren't (to my knowledge) interchangeable with the Steam keys, but allowed for cross online play. So, uh. Now what.

Capcom posted this:
ComboFiend said:
Hey guys, we understand your concerns. We are looking into what options are available to take care of users that purchased SFIV on GFWL, but will announce what will happen once we have something 100% confirmed. Until then, please be patient and do know that resolving this is of the utmost importance to us.

Woorloog

Banned
I have under a year to get the rest of the FO3 achievements?
Actually, nevermind that, how am i going to get the DLC in the future...

Good riddance though, all of my problems in Fallout 3 and Halo 2 PC have been because of GFWL.

colin19872003

Neo Member
For those games with save file encryption,like GTAIV or RE5,will microsoft offer a solution to download your profile after they shut down GFWL? An new offline profile will not load your old saves.

Woorloog

Banned
Just use the console to get those. It works with the DLC ones as well?

That would be cheating. (IMO, if not against rules)
Besides, i forgot that i don't really care for my Xbox Live profile achievements anymore, the account ain't getting any more use. So they ain't a big deal.

But i might play the game still so DLC is more worrying. Will probably have to download a copy of them to this, and copy them elsewhere too... Going to need additional USB sticks or a portable HDD...
Unless there will be a system for downloading them in the future from somewhere else.

BadAss2961

For those games with save file encryption,like GTAIV or RE5,will microsoft offer a solution to download your profile after they shut down GFWL? An new offline profile will not load your old saves.
My bet is they won't do shit.

It's gonna be on developers and the PC community.

Zizbuka

Banned
im stickin to my horses see how them newfangled cars break down sometimes

good luck with that "engine" future

It might apply if you're talking the Yugo. That car bombed, company went under, no replacement parts to be found. You bought one, you were screwed. Of course, Smart car might be headed there too.

jetsetrez

Good riddance.
Uplay next please.
Yesss. Please, Ubisoft. Stop it.

Anyway, I actually didn't hate the idea of getting achievement points on top of things, but having two overlays is just ridiculous, and I'm happy to not have to worry about one less "platform." This is good news overall for PC gamers.

That said, I really hope Viva Pinata gets put on Steam sans GFWL, I forgot they made a PC version of it. I really enjoyed it on Xbox, would love to have it on Steam.

I hope Valve isn't going to just sit by and do nothing if single player games become impossible to play. Is there anything in the Steam license agreement about this type of stuff?

Falcs

Banned
Wait!! What does this mean for single player saves?? I have to sign into Batman AA to load my saves, will I lose them??

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if devs and publishers were warned that this announcement would come, or if they're surprised... I mean, people have a lot of questions how things are going to be handled but it kinda looks like MS has washed their hands of this aside from announcing the end. Are devs/publishers going to tell people how to access their games in the future?

Wait!! What does this mean for single player saves?? I have to sign into Batman AA to load my saves, will I lose them??

The good news is that Arkham Asylum will patching out GFWL soon, probably within the next few months or weeks.

The bad news is that we don't know how the saves will be affected.

Estocolmo

Wait wait wait a minute. So this mean I cant play World in Conflict online after that day? What about earning achievements for singleplayer games like Halo 2?

Top Bottom