• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

On the more recent subject of "Very Japanese", racist or not, you have to assume that a lot of new readers have no idea what that means. You've got to back that up with an explanation. Otherwise, it's lazy. It's the reviewer's job to translate their broad, vague feelings into something that is meaningful and understood by readers.

Even here, one reviewer viewed "very japanese" as a good thing, another, as a bad thing. If it's not a widely understood concept, either back it up or don't use it at all. Even a term like "janky", depending on the context with which it's used, needs to be explained. A game being "janky" can refer to the controls, the camera, graphical glitches, frame rate, and all sorts of issues.

On the subject of game reviewers being bought/sold/slave to PR: It's possible, but 9 out-of 10 times, an ignorant review is based on either the writer being too lazy or too busy. With SimCity, a lot of them played it before the servers were open, and most of them for only a short amount of time. They couldn't possibly have seen the server issues, and most of them didn't play long enough to encounter severe AI/Traffic issues. This is why I'm always wary of early reviews. It's not like a movie where a reviewer can go to a premiere and review a movie before the general public has seen it. Online games are impacted by the mere fact that they ARE online, and should be reviewed as such.

Jeff-DSA

I'm happy my story will come out, but it was a while ago that it all happened. While I feel that I was in the right, and my co-workers backed me up, I still hope I don't stir up problems for people who don't deserve it. Collateral damage seems to happen in these instances. Either way, the story needed to be told.

MC Safety

Big AAA games get reviewed at hotels or offices to control everything.

They're done mostly to ensure the review copies don't leave anyone's sight. It's not a great way to review a game.

But I've attended those events, and have been left alone to play at my own pace. No one has attempted to control the experience.

Kimawolf

I'm happy my story will come out, but it was a while ago that it all happened. While I feel that I was in the right, and my co-workers backed me up, I still hope I don't stir up problems for people who don't deserve it. Collateral damage seems to happen in these instances. Either way, the story needed to be told.

Eh all you can do is tell the story, you can't worry too much about collateral damage, because that's out of your control. and it's better for people to know than not know. Journalists face that ethical dilemma constantly when publishing and reporting stories that could be potentially damaging to others who are not directly involved with the source story. As long as it's all true you did what you had to do and reported it because it needed to be known is how I view it.

You hear that guys? Past mistakes don't matter!

I quoted someone who insinuated that this is still a common practice, with zero evidence to back it up.

Past mistakes do matter. The reason it's been acknowledged by outlets, and doesn't really happen anymore, is because of the appearance of impropriety. But good try!

uqz1UwQ.png

Good bye forever indeed...

35781878.jpg

ibjCt0zMPRkG6K.gif

http://thetimebelt.tumblr.com/

There is a difference between games are not reviewed this way, something you stated, and you didn´t search for a game reviewed this way in 2012.

I said "nope" to a person who insinuated it's still a common practice, which it isn't, and for good reason. I've clarified this statement twice now. Anything else?

It looks like we are missing your non-zero evidence to back your claims up. Besides that, nothing.

Nearly every game site worth its salt has an ethics disclaimer that they notify readers in a review when a game is reviewed at a press event. These practices are a matter of public record. You can find the "evidence" in 0.5 seconds.

Curufinwe

It's pretty funny how transparent aegies is. He is the one who is always looking for something to become mad about, yet projects it onto others.

He's very dishonest. The God Hand conspiracy was something he invented without any actual basis purely because he couldn't accept holding the minority viewpoint among game reviewers on Vanquish. To him, making up nonsense and demeaning other games reviewers made more sense than simply accepting his opinion was not widely shared.

That game came out 5 years ago. Name a game in 2012 that was reviewed in this way.

Listen dude, I'm not going to do all your work for you, but a quick Google search shows that review events were held for Halo 3, Halo ODST, GTA 4, Modern Warfare 2, MW3, BLOPS, BLOPS 2 etc.

Or hell, just go to Polygon who has no problem attending review events:

http://www.polygon.com/game/call-of-duty-black-ops-2/2217

It seems you've already picked your side, so feel free to pretend these things don't happen. You're also either ignorant to this issue, or lying about it. Which is it?

Listen dude, I'm not going to do all your work for you, but a quick Google search shows that review events were held for Halo 3, Halo ODST, GTA 4, Modern Warfare 2, MW3, BLOPS, BLOPS 2 etc.

Or hell, just go to Polygon

It seems you've already picked your side, so feel free to pretend these things don't happen.

There are no "sides" on this for me, I'm not a child.

So one review event in 2012? Two? I'd say that's progress.

MC Safety

Or hell, just go to Polygon

It seems you've already picked your side, so feel free to pretend these things don't happen.

Haha! You think those events are a perk.

It's no fun to be made to shotgun through a game at some review event. And if you add insane flight times like, say, from San Francisco to Japan, you are not sweetening the pot.

The truth is no one likes those events. They're something you have to do because game companies have handpicked titles they simply will not send out review copies for. It is infinitely less appealing to review a game under those circumstances than it is, say, for me to review a game I am playing on my couch in the privacy of my own home and at my own pace.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's so weird that this is lorded around this thread like some smoking gun.

BREAKING: GAMES JOURNALIST REAALY, REALLY ENJOYS GAEMZ
There should be a difference between 'enthusiast press' like Yoggscast and Total Biscuit and 'serious games journalism' like Polygon, etc.

Right now the only difference is that 'serious games journalists' look down on the 'enthusiast press' even though they do their jobs better than them and aren't easily bought by big publishers.

It's no fun to be made to shotgun through a game at some review event. And if you add insane flight times like, say, from San Francisco to Japan, you are not sweetening the pot.

The truth is no one likes those events. They're something you have to do because game companies have handpicked titles they simply will not send out review copies for. It is infinitely less appealing to review a game under those circumstances than it is, say, for me to review a game I am playing on my couch in the privacy of my own home and at my own pace.

You sound like they're putting a gun to your head. If these events are such a burden, buy a copy day-one and engage in the same experience as every other consumer, instead of a carefully curated environment.

JABEE

How do they choose who gets to go to these events? Doesn't that in a way control who gets to put out early or first reviews of games? Polygon said they were invited to the Sim City event to create the review, but had to make a "special arrangement" for it to fit within what they were willing to do.

Again...why are games journalists expected to uphold their professional code of ethics in issues unrelated to their actual work?

Why are stupid and ridiculous pieces of media published by someone who creates media for a living suddenly out of the realm of criticism when they're not being published in a "professional" setting?

In any other job, what I do outside of work will reflect on what I do inside, especially if the two are closely related. There are consequences for everything. You can't just say "he didn't do it for money" and pretend that it doesn't make him look like a complete idiot. Just like I'm going to be critical of Arthur Gies for his Twitter account, even though it has nothing to do with Polygon itself.

You sound like they're putting a gun to your head. If these events are such a burden, buy a copy day-one and engage in the same experience as every other consumer, instead of a carefully curated environment.

And then you have consumers complaining because reviews aren't out for launch! Its a cycle no doubt.

There is demand for timely reviews.

Surely press events are the norm for entertainment press anyway, look at film reviews etc.

Jeff-DSA

The review/preview events do kind of suck. You lose the ability to review at your own pace, which is kind of what the publisher is hoping for, I guess. They're not a perk, no, but I don't think you get your best review out the door at one of those events either.

jschreier

I really don't understand why people constantly post that gif of Justin. He's not allowed to fool around and get excited about a video game? Justin is one of the more talented writers in this industry, and he's legitimately hilarious. Yet he gets shat on because he made a silly video. It's things like that - and the whole Doritos Pope Geoff Keighley thing - that make journalists not want to have serious conversations on GAF. You guys are getting mad about the wrong things, and reducing this discussion to memes instead of serious issues.

(And I say that as someone who has a lot of problems with the current state of game journalism.)

I know! I don't understand why Mike Rowe hasn't done a games journalism episode of Dirty Jobs.

That was from a quick Google search, there are undoubtedly more. I provided evidence to back my claims, feel free to do the same.

You might be right, in which case I was off the mark and made a quick assumption, but I can't care as much as some people. If I made a list I doubt review events would even rank in the top 10 as far as "glaring ethics issues in games journalism" goes. Y'all are barking up the wrong tree.

Curufinwe

I really don't understand why people constantly post that gif of Justin. He's not allowed to fool around and get excited about a video game? Justin is one of the more talented writers in this industry, and he's legitimately hilarious. Yet he gets shat on because he made a silly video. It's things like that - and the whole Doritos Pope Geoff Keighley thing - that make journalists not want to have serious conversations on GAF. You guys are getting mad about the wrong things, and reducing this discussion to memes instead of serious issues.

(And I say that as someone who has a lot of problems with the current state of game journalism.)

Then let's discuss Gies' blithe dismissal of another journalist's story on Sim City because it was based on an anonymous source.

What are your thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom