• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Apparently now people who are supporting writers and developers and sites through Patreon are getting targeted for harassment because Patreon doesn't have a feature to anonymize one's donation.

Wereroku

Which is the point of the original Alexander piece. It's a stereotype that we should leave behind. We both agree... but to do that we have to fill the vacuum of silence with positivity. Which brings me to your second paragraph.

It most definitely is our responsibility to cultivate a positive and inclusive environment for all types of people. That's part of what NeoGAF is about. Why do you think it's so heavily moderated? Because of that heavy moderation we're able to have an actual discussion about corruption and feminism (albeit with some people it's like pulling teeth) without the shrill cry of assholes that are found pretty much everywhere else.

If we don't take the wheel then we end up with stupid shit like this Zoe Quinn 'controversy'. This isn't the first time the conversation around games has been punctuated with misogyny.
How are we as gamers supposed to do that? I report people who are abusive on PSN or XBL and try to spend money to support people who are doing good but what more can I do? It seems like instead of trying to get rid of the gamer moniker everyone should focus on getting publishers to fund inclusive games and getting changes to hiring practices.

Apparently now people who are supporting writers and developers and sites through Patreon are getting targeted for harassment because Patreon doesn't have a feature to anonymize one's donation.

How is it that assholes are always so loud? Is it just that positive messages have less power than negative ones? I wish twitter made you put your real name on everything I think that would reduce a lot of abuse.

Deitus

I disagree; we have the same proportion of nasty people as many other hobbies. Gaming attracts misogynists is a meme that needs to die.

We should not have the responsibility to police individuals that happen to share our interests. That responsibility lies with the providers of services and the justice system in extreme circumstances.

On the one hand, I agree with you.

No one chose to "let in" the misogynists. This is a subculture centered around a love for an entertainment medium, and no one can stop anyone from enjoying that medium. I'm not a fan of the line of thinking that we are all guilty by association with them, or that it is our fault that they exist.

On the other hand, we should want better for our community. Not just as gamers, but as a society of human beings we should strive for a place where all people are accepted regardless of race/gender/sexual orientation/religion/etc. As gamers, fixing the whole of society is an unrealistic task, but we should want to make our small corner of society better than it is, so that other people can look in from the outside and wonder what we are doing right (instead of associating us with hateful bigots).

It's unrealistic to expect that we can just get rid of the worst trolls and hateful individuals altogether, but we could do a lot more to ostracize them. We could also do a lot more to address the casual racism and sexism that is prevalent in our culture, even if it's not "our fault" it got there in the first place, because it would ultimately help everyone if it was gone. It's not about whose fault it is, it's about fixing it for everyone's benefit.

That being said, a lot of the above stuff will be extremely difficult to accomplish (some of it might be impossible), and I wouldn't know the place to start. But I do not believe that there is truly nothing we can do to improve; there's definitely things that we can do better.

marrec

Banned
How are we as gamers supposed to do that? I report people who are abusive on PSN or XBL and try to spend money to support people who are doing good but what more can I do? It seems like instead of trying to get rid of the gamer moniker everyone should focus on getting publishers to fund inclusive games and getting changes to hiring practices.

No no no, no one is actually trying to get rid of the gamer moniker. That's a narrative written by people who are misunderstand the philosophical ponderings of a few editors/freelancers or by people who are maliciously trying to steer the discussion off track.

All we have to do to curate our hobby is to be actively involved in promoting diversity and discrediting people who try to hamper progress.

That doesn't mean agreeing with Anita Sarkisian either or spending untold mental hours arguing with people on NeoGAF. It could mean, as you point out, reporting people on PSN and XBL. Or just telling someone that what they said is stupid and ignorant or not automatically flirting with that girl over Ventrilo just because she's a girl.

Most people just laugh and shrug their shoulders at the cesspool of Twitch Chat or XBL which is indicative of the vacuum that's attracted these idiots.

Cyrano

You can't be serious. What the hell?

Vagabundo

Which is the point of the original Alexander piece. It's a stereotype that we should leave behind. We both agree... but to do that we have to fill the vacuum of silence with positivity. Which brings me to your second paragraph.

It most definitely is our responsibility to cultivate a positive and inclusive environment for all types of people..

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I doubt positivity on a gaming forum will change views that are coming from elsewhere in society. I see these toxic views coming from youth culture in general. Maybe its a backlash against the inclusiveness that is occurring elsewhere, that is inevitable.

Calling gamers names and saying they are over was silly, and typical of gaming media, which is mostly silly.

This blog probably summarises my view on all this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/09/01/the-gamer-is-dead-long-live-the-gamer/

Anyway back to Dwarf Fortress for me - a game that has same-sex marriage - although its pretty bigoted against Elves. Thank god for small indies.

Abelian75

Neo Member
I really feel like this has got to be at the point now where we just shouldn't even be talking about the collective rage and anger as being "about" one cause or another. This level of anger and hurt cannot possibly be healthy, even if there is some sort of grand conspiracy at play, or even if all gamers are virulent misogynists. It just can't possibly matter enough to be worth this level of outrage, one way or the other.

I think there are like two or three totally distinct interesting discussions to be had that may have come out of this, but... that can happen weeks or months from now. The noise level has reached the point now that we're truly into "the only way to win is not to play" territory. At least imho.

Pyrrhus

I'm sorry to hear what happened with Jenn Frank. I liked her work. If she is indeed gone from the gaming scene I hope wherever she ends up she's happier and maybe will consider returning when the current tide of acrimony subsides. And I hope the strife of the last several weeks doesn't take away her love of the medium. We could all benefit from spending less time on twitter and in forums fighting political battles and more time just playing and enjoying games.

There's been too much bile for too long and it's poisoning everything. I know people on both sides are not going to back down, but we need some detente.

APF

Which makes the entire issue of non-disclosure of Patreon backing creating an enormous firestorm all the more bizarre and nonsensical. It literally makes no sense.

Frolow

Banned

Patreon not allowing anonymous donation isn't the problem. The problem is the conflicts of interest that arises from journalists actively donating money to developers.

Phades

this is a good post. post more about people being stupid in this stupid stuff

Wait what? They are judging things on a basis of how progressive a game is instead of the gameplay being good/fun?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Which makes the entire issue of non-disclosure of Patreon backing creating an enormous firestorm all the more bizarre and nonsensical. It literally makes no sense.

People don't really give a shit about disclosure. They say they do, but they just want to catch you in some logic trap.

Corpekata

Banned
Patreon not allowing anonymous donation isn't the problem. The problem is the conflicts of interest that arises from journalists actively donating money to developers.

I think you are talking about different things. Lime is referring to random patreons taking shit simply for donating, whether they are press or not. And because they can't be anonymous, they're easy bait for trolls.

Cyrano

I really like this, a lot:
Remember, this separate sphere is all we have outside of work itself. It’s this private sphere that is supposed to lend true meaning to our lives - not our shitty job that we grudgingly wake up for every day. This is where shit matters and as it happens when things are under your care you give a lot of damns when something appears to attack them.

So what comes out isn’t so much entirely about a hatred of women (though much of it is) but also about the reaction against the drive of a more communal impulse to challenge that hegemony of the private sphere. To move against bourgeois values means to attack, in one sense, that autonomous sphere of production and reproduction of the monarchy of the home. It means to rip that tiny sphere of sovereignty that so many people, robbed of any other space of control in their lives through rampant capital accumulation, have. It also shows how the economic movements of our world come around and viciously react against things they seem so far away from."

in other words, #gamergate-rs are afraid that new progressive communal challenges to the one small private sphere of the home they've been socially permitted to exercise control over and feel freedom within will cause them to be erased. as such, "'gamers' are over" may sound more like a declaration of war to them than anything else.
Link to full article: http://ellaguro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/on-gamers-and-identity.html

Frolow

Banned
I think you are talking about different things. Lime is referring to random patreons taking shit simply for donating, whether they are press or not. And because they can't be anonymous, they're easy bait for trolls.

Ah okay, my bad. Random, non-industry, people getting shit on by trolls is just sad.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So far this year Samantha Allen, Phill Fish, Jenn Frank and Mattie Brice have been hounded out of the industry. The amount of talent we're losing because some boys don't think girls should play with 'their' toys is heartbreaking.
I haven't been following this too much and don't know many of the people involved, but Jenn Frank? Come on man, that is a legitimately good writer and people want her out of the medium?
I wonder how many of the people attacking her have never even heard from her before. Makes me sick, really.

Is that a real conflict of interest? In the UK newspapers back certain political parties, does that mean they are all corrupt? I also highly doubt journalists are not allowed to vote or donate personally to political parties that they write articles about either.

Levi

Banned
Jenn Frank is one of the nicest people I know, she has supported so many people over so long a time(including me), and she gets run out of gaming over flat out, obvious lies and disingenuous misrepresentations.

Her OPINION PIECE wasn't objective enough? The GUARDIAN'S decision on whether disclosure of a relationship with a harassment victim was relevant is the proof she's corrupt?

I've never been so sad and so angry. Fuck "gamers".

ultron87

Is that a real conflict of interest? In the UK newspapers back certain political parties, does that mean they are all corrupt? I also highly doubt journalists are not allowed to vote or donate personally to political parties that they write articles about either.

The movement has unilaterally decided that any communication or interaction between people creates a conflict of interest and that all must bend before this decision, regardless of any former precedents set by years and years of journalism.

Did you talk on Twitter? CONFLICT! Were you on a podcast together with the composer of a game you reviewed? CONFLICT.

Brakke

Banned
Just wait till you get false positives- such a tool won't work. Also all it would take is one troll to jack it up.

This isn't even mentioning the hiveminding that this would create. Even if it did work, you'd just see both camps blocking a ton of people.

This is why I'm very reluctant to block anyone for their opinions (I've only done it to one person over this)

People. Nothing here is about "opinions". It's about behaviors. #GamerGate people aren't worth my time because they're actively terrorizing people.

Going after Jenn Frank should make this obvious. This isn't about legitimate ethics concerns. The motherfucking Guardian cleared her.

These clowns aren't just people who disagree, they've engaged in a campaign of hate, they've lost all perspective on appropriate social interaction, and they've targeted the livelihoods of good people.

If our difference of opinion is you think I should kill myself and you choose to tell me that, day in and out, then do figure I'm going to stop listening to you.

marrec

Banned
Jenn Frank is one of the nicest people I know, she has supported so many people over so long a time(including me), and she gets run out of gaming over flat out, obvious lies and disingenuous misrepresentations.

Her OPINION PIECE wasn't objective enough? The GUARDIAN'S decision on whether disclosure of a relationship with a harassment victim was relevant is the proof she's corrupt?

I've never been so sad and so angry. Fuck "gamers".

It's so fucking ironic that the editorial that originally spawned #gamergate so accurately predicted the response of "gamers" and proved her accusations.

Trokil

Banned
So far this year Samantha Allen, Phill Fish, Jenn Frank and Mattie Brice have been hounded out of the industry. The amount of talent we're losing because some boys don't think girls should play with 'their' toys is heartbreaking.

Yes, this is really a bad thing and I think the extrimists on both sides have won. The devide will even be bigger after all of this and the moderates have lost again. Except Phill Fish, people with integrety are the ones that have left the industry, which is bad already, even worse some people who should have left will stay and will build even higher walls to protect their share or their interests and more prejudice on both sides will be the result.

On the other hand it was also the reveal, that the indy development community is in a very, very bad shape. How games are getting financed and awarded is terrible. It is more important to have a network instead of great game. So many things we hated about the AAA industry are imitated by the indy community on a smaller scale. The networks, the corruption about awards or coverage we also have this in this part of the games market.

And now a lot of gamers are just citing Obi Wan

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg

Frolow

Banned

In the same way Fox news is corrupt, sure.

The movement has unilaterally decided that any communication or interaction between people creates a conflict of interest and that all must bend before this decision, regardless of any former precedents set by years and years of journalism.

Did you talk on Twitter? CONFLICT! Were you on a podcast together with the composer of a game you reviewed? CONFLICT.
Way to generalize. Nobody intelligent is seriously saying there's a conflict of interest when two people are simply talking on twitter, that's straight up hyperbole on your part. However, people are calling out Developers and journalists when real, personal relationship are given light. Would you be okay if, say, a close-friend of Ken Levine, or someone who supported him financially, was a journalist and reviewed Bioshock Infinite, giving the game high remarks? That's the definition of a conflict of interest, and doubt many people would be comfortable with that. I see no reason why the same logic should apply to Independent Developers as well.

Trame

You know, there are reviewers for some kinds of media who pride themselves on never having accepted anything for free (including, for example, movie reviewers who have never gone to a free screening for critics, and instead buy all their tickets with their own money). Apparently this is now a conflict of interest?

Now, developers donating money to journalists could be a conflict of interest. I say "could" because it is not necessarily one. For example, if a wealthy developer, I don't know, John Carmack or something, was to donate money to some insightful blog about game mechanics because he wants to see more articles, there'd be nothing wrong with it. It would be a conflict of interest, on the other hand, if the journalist was actively reviewing or promoting the developer's games.

But how in the world can a journalist donating money to a developer be a conflict of interest, keeping in mind that this is what they automatically have to do to play the developer's games? What conflict of interest could there possibly be there? The only thing I can think of is if you have some really reclusive game developer who never gives interviews, and a journalist pays him $10,000 to give an exclusive interview. That does not appear to be what's happening here.

Even if a journalist donating money to a developer WAS a big deal, though, Patreon not allowing anonymous donations would still be the problem. Because if the donations are anonymous - if the developer didn't know where the money was coming from - any conflict of interest would disappear.

Phades

yeah going through her twitter history, she actually is talking about the whole gamergate thing in a pretty even handed manner. like, nuanced to the point of non-Twitteresque. i've never really read much of her stuff but its freakishly thoughtful for 140 characters.

unfortunately im pretty sure her departure is gonna be used to demonize people with the gamergate tag, who will in turn use such a reaction to demonize the sj advocates, who in turn...

its an ouroboros of profanity, caps lock and exclamation points. what an utter shame

That just makes it seem like it is, at a minimum, an opportunistic action by folks with an agenda outside of gaming.

How is there no competition for twitter? Is it simply because there is more eyes on twitter so people want to be there? Because from all this shit to the doxxing of a hell of a lot of people with-in the last year, you would think people would back away. I guess the need for social media is so great for your livelihood, specifically twitter, so you just have to deal with the devil?

IRC seems like a better route to take, or at least something similar to that.

Vice

In the same way Fox news is corrupt,
Publications backing politicians is and has been common for hundreds of years. From the must respected, like the NY Times, to the least, like the NY post. In a more ging related way, supporting an artist or art house with praise has alwas been a common practice of art critics.

APF

Journalists in the US both vote and make political donations, usually to individuals vs parties however.

Vice

You know, there are reviewers for some kinds of media who pride themselves on never having accepted anything for free (including, for example, movie reviewers who have never gone to a free screening for critics, and instead buy all their tickets with their own money). Apparently this is now a conflict of interest?

Now, developers donating money to journalists could be a conflict of interest. I say "could" because it is not necessarily one. For example, if a wealthy developer, I don't know, John Carmack or something, was to donate money to some insightful blog about game mechanics because he wants to see more articles, there'd be nothing wrong with it. It would be a conflict of interest, on the other hand, if the journalist was actively reviewing or promoting the developer's games.

But how in the world can a journalist donating money to a developer be a conflict of interest, keeping in mind that this is what they automatically have to do to play the developer's games? What conflict of interest could there possibly be there? The only thing I can think of is if you have some really reclusive game developer who never gives interviews, and a journalist pays him $10,000 to give an exclusive interview. That does not appear to be what's happening here.

Even if a journalist donating money to a developer WAS a big deal, though, Patreon not allowing anonymous donations would still be the problem. Because if the donations are anonymous - if the developer didn't know where the money was coming from - any conflict of interest would disappear.
Journalists donating to a dev sugests they want to see them do well so people looking at coverage could be very wary to trust what they write about the dev and their games.

Frolow

Banned

1. I never said that.

2. I agree.

3. The people who use Patreon are mostly small independent developers who need the money. The situation boils down to journalists actively giving money to, more often than not, personal, developer friends. This would be fine if said journalists didn't cover the games created by the independent developers they support, or supported, financially, or at the very least pointed at the conflict of interest in their pieces. However, as we've already seen, this hasn't been the case.

Phades

Well this whole thing just keeps going to new levels of rotten and stupid. Seems to show how easily a mob can be whipped up by some minor "controversy" presented to them as some personal injustice against them, or as a terrible wrong that must be righted immediately and warrants personal attacks against the wrong-doer.
Pen, meet sword more or less.

It is likely to get worse before it gets better unfortunately.

How "political" am I for thinking this is out of control?

You are not political, you're simply wrong. Tons of people have praised the exaggerated art of Dragon's Crown and Kamitani in general, pretty much in the same proportion as people have disliked them. Even heterosexual females! Some of them have even cosplayed as that very character. What makes your opinion more valid than theirs?

What's at stake is not necessarily the way a game is marketed, or whether or not it is "honest" in its representation, but rather the quality of its content. In this case, that content is a grotesque over-sexualization of its characters. It's trash, plain and simple, and deserves to be criticized for it.

Now this is simply ignorant. The fact that the sorceress measurements aren't to your liking doesn't belie the fact that the art itself is of very high quality, and much better than what is found in the average game. You're letting your distaste of the subject matter creep into your evaluation of the technical aspects of the art itself.

It is not disrespectful or disingenuous to any artist to criticize their work.

Indeed, there is a difference between criticism and disrespect; you simply seem to be unaware of it. Let's have a little exercise:
a) I don't like Dragon's Crown female character proportions; I think they're sexist.
b) Kamitani is a 14-year old who draws trash, plain and simple.
Can you point out which one is each?

That's part of producing any content that is made available publicly. Furthermore, arguing that the characters in Dragon's Crown are over-sexualized to the point of absurdity is hardly a "political" stance.

Indeed; it's stating the obvious. Nobody is contesting that.

They look ridiculous to the point that it detracts from the game. Personally, if I put the game on the TV with the Sorceress as my character, my girlfriend walks out of the room. The sight of it disgusts her. I thank any game critic for pointing that out, because I do not want to buy a video game as unfit for public consumption as this one.

Then don't buy it. I personally would also like Dragon's Crown designs more if both the sorc and amazon were a little less exaggerated, but the game's artistic quality is unmatched by 99% of the games released the past decade. And my girlfriend had no issues playing AS the sorceress for a few dozen hours, aside from some perfectly justified mirth at the beginning. :D

More to the point, you're taking a stance that even Anita isn't making. She asks that games sexualizing women stop overwhelmingly dominating the market, not that they be completely banned. In another word, diversity. The point that you're making (and indeed, the point that many of her critics THINK she's making) is plain and simple censorship, and I won't stand by it.

Journalists donating to a dev sugests they want to see them do well so people looking at coverage could be very wary to trust what they write about the dev and their games.

And that's fine. If you question a writer's integrity then you can simply not read their writings, articles, critiques and so on, not hound them in real life and try to get them fired or ruin their life by total bombardment of their privacy and social embarrassment.

It's video game journalism! What exactly are people defending anyway?

Brakke

Banned
It's so fucking ironic that the editorial that originally spawned #gamergate so accurately predicted the response of "gamers" and proved her accusations.

It's the craziest thing. Leigh proposes that people who dedicate their entire identity to Video Games don't have very good perspective, then all start screaming but what they're really saying is "you're right". Their perspective is *so* bad, they don't realize here's a good opportunity to get some perspective and instead double down on the insular, toxic, unwelcoming attitudes they've been accused of having. Lunacy.

Everytime someone throws a #notallgamers at me, it's like: but enough gamers though.

Myggen

In the same way Fox news is corrupt, sure.

Way to generalize. Nobody intelligent is seriously saying there's a conflict of interest when two people are simply talking on twitter, that's straight up hyperbole on your part. However, people are calling out Developers and journalists when real, personal relationship are given light. Would you be okay if, say, a close-friend of Ken Levine, or someone who supported him financially, was a journalist and reviewed Bioshock Infinite, giving the game high remarks? That's the definition of a conflict of interest, and doubt many people would be comfortable with that. I see no reason why the same logic should apply to Independent Developers as well.

But how many actual proven cases have there been of this happening? Zero? People are just creating problems that don't exist in order to have issues to attack.

Lime

Meanwhile, IGN's frontpage is completely silent on what is or has been transpiring.

Same with Giant Bomb. and Gamespot too!

Good job on ignoring the issue and staying silent, mainstream games media!

-Kees-

I still have no idea what the endgame of "gamergate" is. It feel like people want journalists to all be put into solitary confinement and be given games like meals through a slot in the door.

Widge

Meanwhile, IGN's frontpage is completely silent on what is or has been transpiring.

I see where you are coming from but the general form is that just about everyone is asking media to say SOMETHING, and when they do, all they get is a shitstorm in their face. No wonder they keep the door closed.

Trame

Isn't that a little tautological?

If they like a dev, they will give them more positive coverage. This is generally a fact. It doesn't mean they'll never get negative coverage (i.e. if the dev makes a terrible game), but on the whole, probably the coverage tends to be positive.

If they like a dev, they may donate them money to make more games. They will also give them more positive coverage. So positive coverage ends up being correlated to the journalist donating money to the developer. But that's irrelevant, because we already know it's caused by them liking the dev.

In other words, A (liking a dev) is the causative factor for both B (donating money to the dev) and C (positive coverage). The idea that B is then a conflict of interest for C doesn't make any sense.

The only thing I can think of is that you're suggesting A is the conflict of interest, and B (donating money) is just evidence for it? But liking a dev isn't really a conflict of interest**, it's just... an interest. Having an opinion. A conflict of interest would be when something external (like the dev giving the journalist money) modifies their expression of that opinion.

**It's not a conflict of interest in an opinion piece, the purpose of which is to express an opinion, or even in a review, which is likewise about expressing your opinion on a game (i.e., saying "you only wrote you like this because you actually like this" is not a very strong criticism). It may be a conflict of interest in something like a news piece - where your the interest of your opinion conflicts with the interest of wholly neutral, unbiased reporting. The vast majority of gaming articles, especially ones about controversial topics, are opinion pieces, however, where the author is obviously pushing a viewpoint. Most game journalists seem to be highly opinionated outside of articles like "Halo 12 release date announced." One of the few examples of an article about "GamerGate" that is NOT an opinion piece is the Al Jazeera article, although it's not a very good article in my opinion (mostly just a collection of tweets from both sides).

Tamanon

Banned

Can't really put out a news article about every moronic thing on the Internet. There's just not enough time in the day.

jschreier

I still have no idea what the endgame of "gamergate" is. It feel like people want journalists to all be put into solitary confinement and be given games like meals through a slot in the door.
One of the biggest problems with this campaign is that there is no endgame and there are no clear goals. Some people are claiming victory because they drove Jenn Frank -- one of the most talented writers in gaming -- to quit. If their goal is to get rid of as much thoughtful writing as possible, then this is truly terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom