• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
On one hand I feel it was a horrible proposition on his part. On the other I don't since what is better

1. Publisher makes an OT and you know their motives.
2. User makes an OT but you can't ever be sure of their motives.

I'd always go with the user OT's. Publishers making an OT will result in nothing but advertisement. I dont know about you, but I consider "advertisement" and "enthusiasm" two entirely different things. This also raises the question which GAF user impressions in those threads will be bought, which ultimately, are the ones you want to believe in.

Nono situation.

Victrix

*beard*
On one hand I feel it was a horrible proposition on his part. but I could see *some* good of it. Which is worse?

Bullshit OTs get called out, and shitty games sink on GAF regardless of the quality of the OT.

Foffy

Banned
To be fair, it was a really dumb article in the first place. It was two spikey-haired characters seen from the side portrait. Hardly the plagiarism Kotaku made out.

It wasn't even a unique callout. Ashcraft wrote that after reading Andriasang's article on it, which only acknowledged users from 2chan saw the similarities between the characters on the cover and official artwork for Lightning and Noctis. And even so, wouldn't the artist be called out, not the game producer?

conman

On one hand I feel it was a horrible proposition on his part. but I could see *some* good of it. Which is worse?

Once that door opens, it never closes.

AkuMifune

Banned

But that almost goes to the issue here, "hey we've all soldout and pretend not to, can we just not waste our energy pretending not to from time to time?"

No you can't. Yes we know you straddle a thin line between truth and the vortex of evil, but goddamnit stay on that line or get left behind. And mocked. And twitter bombed. We don't want to see the man behind the curtain!

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.

Dylan

Reading through all this now. I love it. So Shakespearean.

Me too.

A fun mental exercise I like to play when reading about these things is to pretend that these people are in the business of reviewing Ninja Turtles action figures instead of video games just to refresh the ludicrocity
(not a word)
of the situation.

Jackpot

Banned
Wish Rab would name names. I hate when people say "I know EXACTLY which people perpetrate the behaviour that's causing so many problems but I'm not going to because it's impolite".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What I thought too. But even as a joke, it was suicidal.

It wasnt a joke. Marketing wise this would be HUGE for devs/publishers, surprised this doesnt come up more often actually.

Its a difficult topic, but I think the mods made the right decision on that one. We all come together in this Forum since its one of the few safe havens that I actually believe in. Stories like the one in this thread just suck and we really should stay independent. I guess the Tony thread was throwing up another issue of posters possibly contacting him about what he offered and making deals behind everyones back.

All around bad feel situation :/

I agree. the meltdown and evolution from pure hype and excitement to anger and frustration of the F1-2012 |OT| was glorious and sets a good example of what makes GAF an honest place.

Also, Journey's OT featuring Journey the band was awesome too.

Toma

RE: Amazon Tony's ban: it's a permaban.

Yeah, figured. The hole is just way too deep. This doesnt solve the problem though, I guess publishers already are interested in buying posts, so I hope they dont really go through with it in a forum that doesnt want it.

Angry Fork

People dislike Geoff Keighley? I think he's a pretty cool guy...

He always seemed alright to me too, I think people hate him for the VGA's which is always really really bad pathetic corporate bullshit that basically makes fun of gamers at every turn. Celebrities who don't know anything about gaming, more time given to jersey shore monologue's than acceptance speeches, terrible 'nerd' jokes and meme's that are months old and so on.

But I can't say I blame him for that unless he really is the showrunner than I guess you can but he just strikes me as a presenter/coordinator rather than someone who has real control over the entire thing. And even if he did Spike would never let him do a legitimate VGA with people who know what they're talking about.

As for the advertising and shitty journalism, like many things in this world, capitalism is to blame yet again. Blame the journalists that sell themselves out for sure, but remember the system that rewards them for it as well. It will be a good day when people in the video game industry have enough and start to form unions or some sort of ethical constitution for developers and writers, shit will hit the fan.

Helscream

Banned
"David Jaffe offers Keighley Mountain Dew."

HAHA! Damn I literally exploded in laughter.

Damn it I got to head off to work. Going to have to catch up when I get back.

It wasnt a joke. Marketing wise this would be HUGE for devs/publishers, surprised this doesnt come up more often actually.

It does. I remember an instance once where a guy was offered a press kit to help with his OT. He made it public and there was some backlash and I think he ended up skipping it, but no way he was the only one.

Foffy

Banned
RE: Amazon Tony's ban: it's a permaban.

Hmm, what counts as crossing a line? Like, say an artist for a game worked on a title, would it be too much if he/she contributed to unique artwork for the OT? That seems like something awesome, but it would have to be mentioned quite clearly in the thread.

How he went about it seemed like "Hey guys, want companies to play a role in your threads?!" which seems heavily against what GAF strides for. He should have worded what his intentions were, as his post clearly read as if it was written by a marketing guy to help sell products. We don't need PR threads here, we have reviews for that. ;)

MechaX

There's no way that he's going to name names after what happened here.

True, but if these are the same journalists that are saying that he should watch out for "enemies at PR events," he probably should anyway. Saying stuff like that is just crossing the line even more.

Wish Rab would name names. I hate when people say "I know EXACTLY which people perpetrate the behaviour that's causing so many problems but I'm not going to because it's impolite".

Of course, but if he has been getting threats sometimes its best to keep quite on things, if it is a matter of personal safety.

Coxy

http://botherer.org/2012/10/25/a-bit-of-perspective/

Has this actually been happening? I couldn't give two shits what gender she is, but she just cost someone their job when she was at fault, so i'll say what the fuck i like about her.

from a few people it has and no dont resort to ridiculous insults, there's far far more than enough actual valid complaints and criticisms to make about her and what she's done for anyone to have any excuse to resort to name calling

Toma

Now I feel really bad. He sounded earnest in the thread but he of all people needed to phrase it better or know what the rules are. There is a reason why I don't post in certain game thread.

Its not about how he said it, its about his connections and that there are interest groups behind him that are interested in buying user posts.

Patryn

anyway... before that... Who took geoff kheighley seriously?

I mean... If there is a PR Puppet in the industry ... Its him!

I never saw an interview where he asked real challenging question to the guy in front of him...
Its alway some verry friendly interview asking question that everyone will be happy to answer.

You obviously missed the Arkham City Reggie interview.

Doombear

Dawg, you gotta keep those eyes intact. It is all in the eyes.

gkd0kn2.jpg

Toma

Wow, I never thought of it that way. Slippery slope indeed.

Yes, THAT is the actual issue at hand and probably the reason for the permban instead of a timed ban.

If it wasnt the reason for the mods, then, despite how much I liked Tony and his deal posts, its definitely the one reason I am glad for they decided on the permban.

Atrophis

I've spent all day following this thread. I need to do something more productive. I know, going to spend the rest of the night watching Consolevania. How have I not seen this before??

lednerg

Game journalism is a total joke and has been for a very long time. I stopped going to almost every gaming website after all the bullshit high scores gta4 got, and it wasn't even all the high scores but the fact that most reviews didn't mention anything about how much less content and things to do there was in 4 compared to the previous installments. And I see this happen all the time like recently with Uncharted 3 and the aiming issues that it had but since people that work in game journalism are friends with the people that work on the games this is not surprising at all and frankly I just don't care.

The only sources for game information that I will ever need are quick looks on giant bomb and just user impressions on neo gaf from people that I respect and actually love video games and the mechanics within them instead of pointless shit like how accessible a game is to any type of player. gtfo with that shit.

Yup, for the last decade or so, I've mainly stuck to forums for getting gaming news (or sometimes just news in general). Each thread is essentially it's own 'article', written by dozens of editors 1) who are at least interested in the topic at hand instead of being forced to write, 2) who don't bother pulling punches or hiding opinions, 3) who include members of the industry itself, and 4) who aren't susceptible to bribes or other bullshit. I learn more from reading good forum threads than I think I ever could from most major websites. There's a reason why practically every outlet has at one time or another sourced NeoGAF.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah, figured. The hole is just way too deep. This doesnt solve the problem though, I guess publishers already are interested in buying posts, so I hope they dont really go through with it in a forum that doesnt want it.

GAF (and other gaming forums) already have plenty of marketing moles. I'm not really sure how effective they are, the truth of a game tends to render any sort of fake hype pretty moot.

Corto

I didn't like that part of his article too. I understand why only people that are outcasts or on the verge to become one really name names, as those don't have nothing to lose. But then it makes it seem that you just named two small fishes and let the big ones untouched from fear of backlash. Which diminishes your original intent of the article. Can't say though that I wouldn't do the same.

EXGN

I wonder if Rab would write articles for another site after this. Would anyone even offer the chance?

Honestly, I wouldn't see why not. He called out a specific writer, not specific sites. If anything, he's proven he can write content that creates discussion.

Toma

GAF (and other gaming forums) already have plenty of marketing moles. I'm not really sure how effective they are, the truth of a game tends to render any sort of fake hype pretty moot.

Sure, thing is they are hidden away from sight, made not acceptable. Now imagine every OT had clearly visible address/poster which you could ask to sponsor your posts. Now have about 200 vocal Gaffers in one thread, from which about only 30 like the game. Pay $100 to 70 Gaffers and voila, 50/50 split opinion on a game instead of it being almost universally hated. $7000 is a VERY cheap investment for big companies with such a huge change.

Coconut

Banned
Legit question why do people put so much stock in game journos? We live in a time where demos and YouTube gameplay and dev diary videos exist. I'm just asking this hear because it seems like a decent concentration of defenders and naysayers of video game journalism exists here.

Foffy

Banned
Did Geoff Keighley respond yet?

Sometimes he responds in a way that clearly shows he doesn't look into it. He was happy the VGAs won an award at /v/'s /v/GAs...for worst video game event. I would hope if he responds, he at least researches what people are having issue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom