• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games journalist (also a gaf member?) suspected in murder suicide

As someone else said, he had to be in a dark place to kill someone and himself. His state of mind was clearly twisted. He made decisions that are ultimately indefensable and he should be condemned for that, but there was obviously a lot of human pain and suffering going on there,too. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and feeling sorry for him. There's certainly nothing wrong with feeling sorry for his family, people who have to deal with the loss of a loved one and the realization that that loved one took another person's life.

And can the fucking anti-gun weirdos please just skip this opportunity to get up on a political soapbox? Just this one time, please?

Cheebs

Scottlarock said:
hes dead, hes not going to do much more damage. we have time to see why he did what he did. and goodjob putting him in those groups (idiot)
You see..there is no excuse for what he did. He killed a 25 year old defenseless woman. Not one excuse. Period.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I needed to associate a picture to these people, so sad.

2mo1bwy.jpg

jay

Cheebs said:
Sorry for not showing enough love for a murderer. I forgot he posted at neogaf. That makes it ok to kill innocent people. Totally forgot that.

What the fuck are you talking about? Shakespeare's best plays are based on the concept of feeling for someone who does evil things. Art often tries to show us our humanity despite our pleas that people just go burn in hell.

mosaic

go eat paint
Wow, this sucks. I never met Jason personally, but his posts here seemed positive enough -- and I liked how he was a real Hudson pusher back when Virtual Console was starting up.

I can't fathom what drives someone to murder or suicide, let alone both... and while there's no real excuse for either, I have to think it was some heavy shit to drive him to such an extreme.

If it was bankruptcy and finances related, I can certainly relate... I've felt that fear of losing control of my life... and now that I work in collections, I deal with people every day that are this close to coming unglued.

Cheebs

jay said:
What the fuck are you talking about? Shakespeare's best plays are based on the concept of feeling for someone who does evil things. Art often tries to show us our humanity despite our pleas that people just go burn in hell.
Yes, that is a play. Not reality. Unless you directly knew this guy in person it is fucking WRONG to feel sympthay for him.

He

Murdered

A

Defenseless

Woman

Not one thing worth feeling sympathy over for this man.

EmCeeGramr said:
Who is excusing him!?
It started when I replied to someone who said we should wait and see because he may have had a good reason to murder her. That is making an excuse.

carlos

Holy crap, I bought a couple of games from him a while back from here on GAF...he actually sent me an extra game by mistake that I shipped back to him...

I knew he worked at hudson, I wondered why I hadn't seen him posting in such a long time....

RIP to both of them :(

bhlaab

Cheebs said:
Yes, that is a play. Not reality. Unless you directly knew this guy in person it is fucking WRONG to feel sympthay for him.

He

Murdered

A

Defenseless

Woman

Morality Made Simple!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
People are just feeling shock and sympathy over a horrible situation, not endorsing murder. Must GAF always run with it's binary personality and grind the axe? Jesus.

mm04

That's quite unfortunate and tragic for all involved. GAF, just like any "community", is just a slice of every day society. It shouldn't really be surprising that a member of the forum was incredibly troubled and acted out on it. It is sad, but no place is immune to it.

shuri

Banned
Fucking coward, if Hell exist, I'm sure he'll enjoy finding out he cant kill himself again to escape it. Killing yourself over money problems or over some chick cheating on you is fucking pathetic.

He had to kill her too!

bhlaab

Musashi Wins! said:
People are just feeling shock and sympathy over a horrible situation, not endorsing murder. Must GAF always run with it's binary personality and grind the axe? Jesus.

I stand by my instantaneous and uninformed opinion and anybody who disagrees is an idiot

Cheebs said:
It started when I replied to someone who said we should wait and see because he may have had a good reason to murder her. That is making an excuse.
Nope, sorry, that's a lie. Scottlarock never said that "he may have had a good reason to murder her." And even that post did say that, your first post was before that, in which you hoped Jason was burning in hell and that nobody should feel any sympathy.

You can feel pity for a man and find his actions tragic without wishing eternal damnation upon him. I know it's a foreign concept to you.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Cheebs said:

He

Murdered

A

Defenseless

Woman

There's nothing wrong with feeling some amount of sympathy for someone who committed horrible crimes. They lost their chance at a happy life because of whatever went wrong in their head that caused them to do this - don't act like you couldn't possibly be driven to something like this with the right mental condition and/or circumstances. Certainly though people have to take responsibility for their actions and it's his wife that got the real short end of the stick.

bhlaab

shuri said:
Fucking coward, if Hell exist, I'm sure he'll enjoy finding out he cant kill himself again to escape it.
If Hell does exist it probably wasn't put into place to fuel your infantile revenge fantasies

jay

Cheebs said:
Yes, that is a play. Not reality.

If this weren't such a serious thread this would be a launching point for a fascinating discussion on how it sounds like you do not believe art can have meaning and see it as pure entertainment.

Cheebs said:
You see..there is no excuse for what he did. He killed a 25 year old defenseless woman. Not one excuse. Period.
this will sound bad, but you don't know why. yes maybe and probably he is scum, but can we get the full story first? some reasons why you would kill someone can be justified. not saying this is the case but can we give this a little bit more time?

Scottlarock said:
this will sound bad, but you don't know why. yes maybe and probably he is scum, but can we get the full story first? some reasons why you would kill someone can be justified. not saying this is the case but can we give this a little bit more time?
Okay dude, yeah, that does sound bad. This apparently happened several days ago. We may not have the full picture, but it's pretty clear what basically happened.

Mifune

Mehmber
Scottlarock said:

What are some situations where killing your 25-year old wife can be justified?

If this was some random IT guy somewhere nobody would be claiming we need to "understand" his plight. But because he was a member of GAF and dished out some gaming freebies, we're searching for ways this horrible act could be just a misunderstanding or something.

It's a sad situation and I feel for everyone involved, but let's not trip over ourselves excusing murder.

Colocho

Banned
Scottlarock said:
This. For all we know, she could have tried to take all his money or something like that, it's not exactly an excuse to kill someone, but it would make a lot more sense.

Fake edit: I just re read what I posted and it sounds like I'm trying to defend the guy. I'm not, I just think we shouldn't instantly jump to conclusions until we have the full picture.

jay

Mifune said:
What are some situations where killing your 25-year old wife can be justified?

If this was some random IT guy somewhere nobody would be claiming we need to "understand" his plight. But because he was a member of GAF and dished out some gaming freebies, we're searching for ways this horrible act could be just a misunderstanding or something.

It's a sad situation and I feel for everyone involved, but let's not trip over ourselves excusing murder.

But some people here knew the guy. You begrudge them that they want to know exactly what happened before making any conclusions? If a friend of yours killed someone I'd think you'd want to hear all the details.

Just like people making jokes shouldn't be banned because they don't know the guy the people who do know the guy shouldn't have to treat him like any other news paper story.

RoboJ said:
okay im clearly stating that this is probably nothing what happened in this case..

but as some of you say that there is no situation that killing his own wife can be justified consider the following

Situation 1

You and your wife went to a vacation. While driving the car you make a mistake and the car crashes.. The woman is stuck in the car while you could barely escape.. The car is slowly starting the burn and there is no way she can be pulled out of the car.. As the she starts to burn she screams "please kill me.. i cant take the pain"

Situation 2

You have a wife and a 6 year old daughter.. The three of you go swimming.. Then suddenly your wife and your daughter are caught in a vortex.. You can only save your 6 year old daughter since she is a lot lighter.. So you decide to let your wife die in this situation despite you have the duty as a husband to help her in this situation

What im trying to say is that in the concrete situation there might be some circumstances that should be considered... And while i doubt any of the situations above occured, as long as there is a reasonable doubt nobody should be sentenced as a murderer..

Oh God, farnham in the old Benoit thread... :lol

That's horrible, but it's not the same thing. I'm not like these guys actually trying to say, "well, maybe he had an excuse!" Sure, maybe. But probably not.

Still, I feel sadness and pity for people when they do something terrible, regardless of whether I'm disgusted by their actions.

jibblypop

Banned
JordoftheDead said:
It's a terrible tragedy and an inexcusable action, but could people leave the dogmatic 'burn-in-hell' shit elsewhere?

Yeah I know what you mean. This is a tragic situation and all the burn in hell comments seem really vengeful and messed up to me.
It's terrible what he did but it is done and he is already dead. No need to act so angry about the situation. It's already done and it's really sad every way I can look at it.

jay

jibblypop said:
Yeah I know what you mean. This is a tragic situation and all the burn in hell comments seem really vengeful and messed up to me.
It's terrible what he did but it is done and he is already dead. No need to act so angry about the situation. It's already done and it's really sad every way I can look at it.

You mean someone being in tremendous pain for all of time wouldn't make you feel better? Surely it would at least bring back the victim.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:

He

Murdered

A

Defenseless

Woman

My reaction is the same, but a bit nuanced. I sympathize with anyone who takes their own life, having been (almost) down that path myself.

But that in no way reduces my unmitigated condemnation and horror at his murdering his (estranged?) wife. I'm not sure how to explain it other than this: There's a scene in the movie Manhunter where the lead investigator says he sympathizes with this serial killer. His boss is horrified. The explanation is, roughly: "I feel sympathy for the child that became this monster. As a child, I pity him. As an adult, I want to blow the sick fuck out his socks." I sympathize with anyone who gets so low that they do this. But damn that fucker to hell for murdering that beautiful young woman. Holy shit that is vile.

Seeing the picture above is heartbreaking. I can't even imagine what both their families are going through right now. :(

I remember him posting here. Not sure how that makes me feel....kind of uncomfortable for some reason.

jay

GhaleonEB said:
My reaction is the same, but a bit nuanced. I sympathize with anyone who takes their own life, having been (almost) down that path myself.

But that in no way reduces my unmitigated condemnation and horror at his murdering his (estranged?) wife. I'm not sure how to explain it other than this: There's a scene in the movie Manhunter where the lead investigator says he sympathizes with this serial killer. His boss is horrified. The explanation is, roughly: "I feel sympathy for the child that became this monster. As a child, I pity him. As an adult, I want to blow the sick fuck out his socks." I sympathize with anyone who gets so low that they do this. But damn that fucker to hell for murdering that beautiful young woman. Holy shit that is vile.

Seeing the picture above is heartbreaking. I can't even imagine what both their families are going through right now. :(

I remember him posting here. Not sure how that makes me feel....kind of uncomfortable for some reason.

No one here really disagrees with you but cheebs and co who feel no sympathy. The people saying they feel for him aren't also saying, "hi five man, way to go!" No one thinks it's anything but vile.

Mifune

Mehmber
jay said:
But some people here knew the guy. You begrudge them that they want to know exactly what happened before making any conclusions? If a friend of yours killed someone I'd think you'd want to hear all the details.

Just like people making jokes shouldn't be banned because they don't know the guy the people who do know the guy shouldn't have to treat him like any other news paper story.

As far as I can see, the people who actually knew the guy personally aren't searching for ways to defend his actions.

This sort of devil's advocacy makes me feel a little sick.

GhaleonEB

jay said:
No one here really disagrees with you but cheebs and co who feel no sympathy. The people saying they feel for him aren't also saying, "hi five man, way to go!" No one thinks it's anything but vile.
Yeah. I had started a shorter comment along those lines, but then read some of Cheebs' posts so I explained a bit more.

Bottom line: I feel kind of ill. Horrifying situation.

jay

Mifune said:
As far as I can see, the people who actually knew the guy personally aren't searching for ways to defend his actions.

This sort of devil's advocacy makes me feel a little sick.

I didn't go through and check who knew him and who said we should wait to check the crossover. You're probably right, I just think it's natural for people who feel close to what happened, even if it's for a stupid reason like knowing someone on a message board, to want to learn more before dealing with something terrible.

ElyrionX

Why the fuck are people feeling sorry for him? He's a fucking murderer.

We should be cursing him and feeling sorry for his family and his wife's family.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Such a sad thing.

I am not happy with the kinda world we live in today we are going to need a major change to stop things like this from happen.

jax (old)

Banned
Scottlarock said:
very sad, and no reason to murder someone, but lets get all the facts before saying hes a coward and scum. maybe he is, but lets get the rest of the story. very sad and I remember him and his posts and he seemed normal.

are you saying that on some level there will be a story that excuses the slaying of that poor woman? There's nothing to get. He could have killed himself without hurting her.

urgh

Because that's what he is, a coward and a scumbag

This isn't a world problem, it was just one person who lost his mind and decided to kill someone else. If you took away the fact that he once was a games journo, would you guys still be bleeding your hearts?

Cheebs

There are endless women murdered daily. Do you guys wish all of their murderers to be given the benefit of the doubt and to have sympathy? What about those who rape women? Do they get sympathy too? Or is it just those who murder?

WasabiKing said:
If you took away the fact that he once was a games journo, would you guys still be bleeding your hearts?
Exactly. This explains how I feel better than I could possibly ever say.

-PXG-

Taking another life is wrong, but he obviously was a disturbed individual. Condolences to BOTH families.

Anyone making jokes or making nasty remarks about Mr. Montes is an asshole. To all of you cocksuckers, I wish I could meet you and knock all your fucking teeth out.

Top Bottom