• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games journalist (also a gaf member?) suspected in murder suicide

WasabiKing said:
If you took away the fact that he once was a games journo, would you guys still be bleeding your hearts?
Yes. I never knew this guy, and I only have a vague recollection of him from the VC threads. I don't care if he was a games journalist, I think it's sad that he went nuts and did something reprehensible.

-PXG- said:
Taking another life is wrong, but he obviously was a disturbed individual. Condolences to BOTH families.

Anyone making jokes or making nasty remarks about Mr. Montes is an asshole. To all of you cocksuckers, I wish I could meet you and knock all your fucking teeth out.

Fuck off. He forfeited such rights when he killed someone else

Cheebs

-PXG- said:
Anyone making jokes or making nasty remarks about Mr. Montes is an asshole. To all of you cocksuckers, I wish I could meet you and knock all your fucking teeth out.
As the post above yours clearly shows murderers DESERVE to be mocked.

Why are you so quick to defend him? Would you defend all murderers of innocent women? Or is it because he went to gaf it makes him some how not as vile as all the other disturbed murderers in the world?

EmCeeGramr said:
Yes. I never knew this guy, and I only have a vague recollection of him from the VC threads. I don't care if he was a games journalist, I think it's sad that he went nuts and did something reprehensible.
Yes, it is very sad for his innocent wife. But disturbed, mentally ill, drunk, or fully in his senses there is no excuse for cold blooded murder.

This man took a defenseless 25 year old women and KILLED HER.

Blueblur1

This is sad and terrible on all fronts. My condolences to both families. Now is not a time to bicker. We should respect these poor people and leave the fighting to those who are directly affected by this tragedy. Rest in peace Jason and Serena.

graywolf323

stewy said:
After looking around a bit it seems like part of the divorce had to do with his wife cheating on him. And apparently he'd just recently found out that she'd cheated on him before with someone else, as well.

Seems some are pointing to that as his breaking point.

reading through the thread it seems a lot of people missed this

it by no means excuses what he did but if so this would fall under a crime of passion

no matter what though this is a very sad event and my deepest condolences to both families

Cheebs

Blueblur1 said:
This is sad and terrible on all fronts. My condolences to both families. Now is not a time to bicker. We should respect these poor people and leave the fighting to those who are directly affected by this tragedy. Rest in peace Jason and Serena.
We should respect murderers? I don't understand that line of logic.

graywolf323 said:
reading through the thread it seems a lot of people missed this

it by no means excuses what he did but if so this would fall under crime of passion

no matter this is very sad and deepest condolences to both families
Almost everyone gets cheated on in their life. They don't tend to go off and stab the women to death.

Cheebs said:
Yes, it is very sad for his innocent wife. But disturbed, mentally ill, drunk, or fully in his senses there is no excuse for cold blooded murder.

This man took a defenseless 25 year old women and KILLED HER.
Hey cool, you're illiterate. I'm not excusing his terrible action, but I'm still sorry for the man.

jay

WasabiKing said:
This isn't a world problem, it was just one person who lost his mind and decided to kill someone else. If you took away the fact that he once was a games journo, would you guys still be bleeding your hearts?

I find I have this heart bleeding condition that makes me feel for both good and bad people, yes.

It may not be a world problem but it could easily be argued it's a culture problem. These things happen everywhere but some places hugely more than others.

Tragic. My condolences to the families and both victims.. I'm sure there are reasons (not justifications) that this tragedy happened.

anotheriori said:
Tragic. My condolences to the families and both victims.. I'm sure there are reasons (not justifications) that this tragedy happened.

No shit there are reasons why. Doesn't really mean anything nor does it soften the blow of the crime.

I don't let him off the hook, not at all. The whole story is a tragedy. However, I don't know if he was mentally ill or just a simple evil asshole. I have no way of knowing.

A friend of mine would say "at least he did the right thing in offing himself". I can't be quite the callous about it, but there is a certain logic to it.

-PXG-

-PXG- said:
Taking another life is wrong, but he obviously was a disturbed individual.

What he did was wrong. All I said was that he was obviously troubled and had issues. Its unfortunate that he did what he did, to her and himself. So, I guess his family and friends are bad people too huh? I can't feel bad for them? Get the fuck outta here. For fuck's sake GAF.

Cheebs

jay said:
You live in a very black and white world. I envy you.
No, I don't. I just see murder in a black and white way. If you kill someone and they are defenseless then you are a murderer. THAT is black and white, not the whole world. But taking someone's life that is of no physical threat to you? A young women at that? That is very clear to me as something wrong and inexcusable.

Everyone has a choice in their actions and what they do, and he chose to murder her.

-PXG- said:
What he did was wrong. All I said was that he was obviously troubled and had issues. Its unfortunate that he did what he did, to her and himself. So, I guess his family and friends are bad people too huh? I can't feel bad for them? Get the fuck outta here. For fuck's sake GAF.
No one jumped on you for showing sympathy for the families. Where the hell are you getting that from?

The Experiment said:
No shit there are reasons why. Doesn't really mean anything nor does it soften the blow of the crime.
It's not so much a crime since there is no criminal, he's dead. Only god <insert religion> can judge him now.

Azure J

Man, some of the comments in here are biting. I can understand why people would feel that way, but either way, both of these families are probably going through some serious grieving now. Here's to both of them.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Cheebs said:
No, I don't. I just see murder in a black and white way. If you kill someone and they are defenseless then you are a murderer. THAT is black and white, not the whole world. But taking someone's life that is of no physical threat to you? A young women at that? That is very clear to me as something wrong and inexcusable.

Everyone has a choice in their actions and what they do, and he chose to murder her.
No one is defending murder. But choices are decided by brain chemistry and circumstances. Every crime happens for a reason, and as such all criminals deserve some pity for having to be in that situation. That doesn't mean what they did was justified or that they should be let off, it's just basic human empathy.

jason montes said:
Okay, I'm probably gonna get roasted for this, but I've been sitting here quiet for a while now watching this thread. As Manabyte's former roommate, I think there might be some exaggeration going on here. Not to discount anything he's saying, but this isn't the first, second, or even third time he's told me he was going to kill himself.

I've heard this all before, but it was over different circumstances, which I won't elaborate on here. But I will say this: we're only hearing one side of the story.

Manabyte has a very quirky personality and I would say it would take a person with a very high tolerance to get along with him. I don't know if his situation is as bad as he claims it is, but if it is, he needs counseling for starters. He needs to stop playing the victim and crying about suicide everytime he's put into a bind. Jeremy, you're either gonna do it or you're not. And I know you're not. There's more constructive ways of getting moral support than this.

that guy was an asshole. chris benoit... was an asshole.

if i was a big mod here, i'd have his tag say "dead" lol

Cheerilee

Shit... Wow...

I looked up to this guy. I respected him. And then one day... wham! Two big counts of inexcusable (that's right, if you give up and kill yourself, I'll hate you for it, and you don't ever kill your wife, even if she's a bitch).

I hope his loved ones can eventually learn to forgive him for what he did, because it's nowhere near as easy for them to simply hate him as it is for the rest of us. And if Hell exists, I hope God can forgive him, because I don't think I can forgive him, but even so, I wouldn't want to be the one to damn him for eternity.

AnnSwag said:
Such a sad thing.

I am not happy with the kinda world we live in today we are going to need a major change to stop things like this from happen.

What sort of change would ensure no individual could ever again decide to take the life of another?

WasabiKing said:
This isn't a world problem, it was just one person who lost his mind and decided to kill someone else. If you took away the fact that he once was a games journo, would you guys still be bleeding your hearts?

I would still feel some degree of sympathy for everyone involved, yeah.

Cheebs said:
Yes, that is a play. Not reality. Unless you directly knew this guy in person it is fucking WRONG to feel sympthay for him.

He

Murdered

A

Defenseless

Woman

Not one thing worth feeling sympathy over for this man.

It started when I replied to someone who said we should wait and see because he may have had a good reason to murder her. That is making an excuse.

high_horse.jpg

Meier

Bloodwake said:
:(

I remember him from the VC threads.

This sucks.
No kidding. Wild story...and not to go too far off topic but that Manabyte thread linked to in post #2 is rather crazy too. How the hell did I miss that?

My thoughts go out to those affected by this.

Cheebs said:
Ugh, I hate this pc nonsense of blaming culture rather than individuals for their actions.

I fully blame him for his actions. He committed murder, and that's wrong. He made a decision to take another life and that's about as bad as it gets. He fully deserves condemnation for that.

But unlike you, I'm aware he was also a full human being, aside from ultimately being a killer, and I don't see the horrible crime in saying, "It's fucked up that his life was going so badly, he wrongly came to think this was a valid course of action."

That isn't justifying or condoning what he did. Do you understand that?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:
We should respect murderers? I don't understand that line of logic.

Almost everyone gets cheated on in their life. They don't tend to go off and stab the women to death.
Ted Kennedy /conservative-gaf

Hellraizah

Why is so many people judging him without even knowing what happened. Yeah, he shot his wife, but who really knows what happened. Sometimes, a high level of stress coupled with multiple bad situations could lead to situations like this.

Now, I'm not trying to excuse the move or anything, I'm just saying that nobody should judge him without knowing the details, which is something we will never know.

Peace to them and their family.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Hellraizah said:
Why is so many people judging him without even knowing what happened. Yeah, he shot his wife, but who really knows what happened. Sometimes, a high level of stress coupled with multiple bad situations could lead to situations like this.

Now, I'm not trying to excuse the move or anything, I'm just saying that nobody should judge him without knowing the details, which is something we will never know.

Peace to them and their family.

It's just what people love to do. Jump to conclusions, and demonize.

"That's not something a person could do. That's inhuman."
"I could never be one of those people."

Well, I bet this guy never thought he could be either. Until he was.

I can see why people would say "he killed someone, he doesn't deserve sympathy!"

But it's a lot different if you knew him - I mean, I only knew him through talking with him on NeoGAF, but he seemed like a nice guy. The closer you are to a person, the sadder it is, and it's just unfortunate that he killed a person.

Cheerilee

Hellraizah said:
Why is so many people judging him without even knowing what happened. Yeah, he shot his wife, but who really knows what happened.
There you go. It doesn't say it all, but it says enough. I don't want to know the details. They'll just condemn him further. They won't change the basic outcome.
Sometimes, a high level of stress coupled with multiple bad situations could lead to situations like this.
That's not nearly enough.

Neo C.

speculawyer said:
The economy claimed another victim? :-(
We need more details. Victims of the economy often aren't pure victims. Though since I don't know shit about him, I won't say anything negative about him.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Cheebs said:
Hopefully he is burning in hell. Can't believe anyone here felt sympathy for this scumbag.
Cheebs said:
Yes, that is a play. Not reality. Unless you directly knew this guy in person it is f------ WRONG to feel sympthay for him.

The guy did an incredibly evil thing. There is no justification for his killing of his wife.

I can, however, have sympathy (not empathy) for him. I really hope that he, at some moment before his death, had SOME remorse for his actions. I have religious beliefs that do include the notion of eternal suffering, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone; that doesn't mean I would want to -excuse- justice from being meted out, but that I pray and hope that even the most evil of people have some remorse for their actions, even if at the very end of their lives.

Now, my beliefs aren't those of many (probably most) of GAF. I understand the disgust and rage and hatred. I am, however, going to keep everyone involved in my prayers. I wouldn't wish eternal suffering on anyone, and I always keep open some hope for some bit of good in everyone, regardless of their evil acts.

Again, there is NO excuse or justification for what he did. I just hope, for his sake, that he showed some remorse for his actions at some point.

Wow, so sad to see lives end over something so trivial. Someone told me on Live tonight that she was cheating on him? So he kills her? What a selfish bastard. I can't begin to comprehend what it must feel like to lose a daughter or a sister that way.

M3wThr33

Banned
Holy shit.

HOLY shit.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Seriously. That dude of all dudes? I mean, I could see why his job at Hudson sucked (Having to promote BAD SHIT) but to resort to this?

I'm left in shock. And to be a murderer.

I... I don't know what to say.

Maybe, like David said, there's remorse here. Like he did shoot her and he felt guilty and then committed suicide, but I have no clue. At least he won't be able to hurt anyone else.

Grimmy

Banned
Wow, this was the Hudson Soft guy??? He seemed like a genuinely nice person! Condolences to all that were affected by this - truly sad.

Cheerilee

DavidDayton said:
Now, my beliefs aren't those of many (probably most) of GAF.
A recent poll suggested that 62% of Americans believe in the literal, biblical version of Hell. Another 8% believe that something must happen to your soul after you die. I know GAF tends to skew left, but that's still a strong number.

M3wThr33 said:
Seriously. That dude of all dudes? I mean, I could see why his job at Hudson sucked (Having to promote BAD SHIT) but to resort to this?
He lost the Hudson job a while back. Hudson's new guy came on GAF and asked us to edit Hudson's Wikipedia page for him. Fun times were had by all.

deamentia went into business for himself, but then he apparently went bankrupt.

Costanza said:
ManaByte said on another forum that he used to be roommates with the guy and he posted here as "deamentia" :(

Oh shit, I remember that guy. He was the face of a new Hudson, in my opinion. It was a big mistake that they fired him.

That's terrible, but if he was going to commit suicide, he should have just gone, not tarnished our memory of him with a murder.

M3wThr33

Banned
ruby_onix said:
He lost the Hudson job a while back. Hudson's new guy came on GAF and asked us to edit Hudson's Wikipedia page for him. Fun times were had by all.

deamentia went into business for himself, but then he apparently went bankrupt.
I remember that. But it still must have sucked.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Night_Trekker said:
I fully blame him for his actions. He committed murder, and that's wrong. He made a decision to take another life and that's about as bad as it gets. He fully deserves condemnation for that.

But unlike you, I'm aware he was also a full human being, aside from ultimately being a killer, and I don't see the horrible crime in saying, "It's ****** up that his life was going so badly, he wrongly came to think this was a valid course of action."

That isn't justifying or condoning what he did. Do you understand that?
I'm quoting your post not to single you out or to even disagree with you, but because your's was a reasonable post and wasn't trying to attack the others opinion.

It's sad that even a topic like has so much arguing in it. Outrage & anger and Sorrow & compassion are both natural responses to situations like this. Neither mean that the person is rigid & cruel or weak & soft.

To answer your question (in a very circular manner):

Its a matter of perspective. Cheebs position is that murder is unjustifiable. Its a noble and good position that no one should be criticizing. I don't think I'd could respect anyone who thought otherwise. If murder is unjustifiable, then it doesn't matter how bad his life was going, its not part of the equation. Jason was despicable for even entertaining the thought of murder and damnable for commiting it. Or in other words... His troubles drove him to murder Serena... but his troubles didn't drive him to murder.

My condolences go out to both sides of the family. There is undoubtedly a large cross-over of friends and family who will be grieving for both people struggling with how they remember their loved ones.

Personally, I think its unfortunate that stories like this are reported the way that they are. I find it very disrespectful to the victims to have their deaths reported second to the deaths of their murderer's. There is tragedy in both deaths, but they're not equal.

Top Bottom