• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that failed to launch a new franchise

SOR5

Blur_(video_game).jpg

Fun game

Now this couldve gone really far, remember split/second at the same time as well

Loads of FPS/TPS from years ago should've got another chance.

Fracture
Project Snowblind

There's another future-military one I can't remember. You could fly drones and drive RC cars.

Pooya

I beat this when it came out, only thing I remember is that it ripped off Halo a lot and had one godawful ending, like how they even wanted to make a sequel after that ending. lol

I still miss those years that we had so many B tier sp FPS games, if you were a fan of the genre, there was something new to play like every month. Lots of bad games but it was fun. Area 51 and Project Snowblind come to mind too, so many similar FPS games in 2005-6

Corpsepyre

Banned
The Order: 1886, Alan Wake and Shadow of Rome come into mind.

Shadow of Rome is one of the most under-rated games on the PS2, and one I've spent an unhealthy amount of time with in the battle arenas, hacking enemies away and scoring more points. It sucks we never got a sequel to it.

Alan Wake had a pretty cool concept. I love the idea of a Twin Peaks inspired town with secrets and what not, but the gameplay was lackluster and brought the title down for me. I enjoyed the plot, the setting and the atmosphere, but the constant shootbang gameplay, with the torch, got quite tiresome.

We all know what went down with The Order.

Loads of FPS/TPS from years ago should've got another chance.

Fracture
Project Snowblind

There's another future-military one I can't remember. You could fly drones and drive RC cars.
Haven't heard of the other game but Fracture was an uninspired pos. there was a ton third-person shooters being made for the sake of a semi-cool gimmick(in this case, shaping the earth with a gun) but end up being generic in every other facet imaginable.Just like that game "Inversion" where you could flip the world or gravity or some shit. they have one unique mechanic but squader it with a lame ass main character and a boring predicitable sci-fi setting. anyways is the other game you're thinking of "Mindjack" by any chance. that game was doa so hard.

Dremark

Banned
Shadow of Rome is one of the most under-rated games on the PS2, and one I've spent an unhealthy amount of time with in the battle arenas, hacking enemies away and scoring more points. It sucks we never got a sequel to it.

Iirc they were working on a Shadow of Rome sequel and somehow it turned into Dead Rising.

Not sure how that happened but maybe if I played SoR it would make more sense (Or perhaps less)

Majmun

Basically all Wii ... games

Wii Music
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

Sure, the first one or two were successful. But the sequels bombed and the franchises are dead.

Wozman23

This game had great graphics, suberb physics and excellent gameplay. The reviews were mostly very positive. It's a shame it sold poorly.

Psi-Ops_-_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy_Coverart.png

Such a great game. Sucks that the last impression it leaves is a 'To Be Continued' screen.

and they lost a lawsuit about the whole storyline being stolen

No, they won. There was no evidence of copyright infringement. Granted, the whole debacle couldn't have helped.

Probably already mentioned: Daikatana. I remember a sequel was either announced or "green lit" even before the original came out. Even at the time, it seemed like a marketing move to promote interest in the original's rollout.

I actually like enough about Daikatana, I wouldn't have minded it turning into a series of some kind. GBC game was awesome, too.

Not quite related with thread topic but the Sin episodes. Just got 1 but wasn't there supposed to be 9?

TopoGio

Neo Member
I don't think Project Spark was intended as a franchise... they didn't even try to have a recognizable/named character, nor did they choose a specific name and went with their early code name because "it's all about tinkering anyway".
True, but i always felt they were aiming to pitch themselves as a comparable level design game to titles like LBP.

Strimei

Hellgate London

Oh man, every now and then I'm reminded this game existed.

They put out a trilogy of books too (prequel to the game) and a manga, as I recall. They had such high hopes.

I remember reading the books (don't judge. I'm a voracious reader and they caught my eye. Its like popcorn, really). They weren't that bad. Lord knows I've read worse game-related books.

Mirror's Edge. I know Catalyst is coming out, but they're completely throwing out everything from the last game story wise. The original was clearly supposed to get a direct sequel.

Top Bottom